Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, yes and yes Norbert! I was just mentioning that to my wife. They use to pester the crap out of us but haven’t heard a peep all spring/summer. I have been waiting, as I imagined that I would be changing seats. On the glass since the beginning but can’t imagine that I won’t want to change.
    They are so non communicative recently that I am afraid I might get locked in to seats we don’t want and we all know we can just walk in and be fine.
    Last edited by After the Whistle; 07-02-2022, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
      The women have a game with St A's. Are the men far behind with a home and home with the vaunted hockey powerhouse from Goffstown? Maybe Chuck finally gets to see the Granite Cup come to life starring UNH, St A's, Keene St and Oyster River ..... Live from the Dover Ice Arena!
      Ok, this post brings me out of 8+ months of retirement, before I go back under my rock for another 8+ months. When I was growing up in Durham, two classmates played hockey (I skied) for the Oyster River High Bobcats before matriculating at UNH: Dave Savidge (1965/65-1966/67; first year students did not play varsity then) and Bob Grant (1967/68-1969/70). A backup UNH goalie Dave Hagerman from Plymouth, NH (1965/66-1967/68) was married and rented the downstairs apartment in our house. Dave backed up Colin Clark in net his first year (on 3 March 1965, Colin made 65 saves in a 8-0 loss to BU a couple weeks after Snively Arena opened, a really tough game to watch) and Rick Metzger his second two seasons.

In a post during my absence, someone (maybe Whalers?) asked who got the assist(s) on the first goal in Snively Arena by Brad Houston on 13 February 1965 in a 4-3 OT loss to Norwich, but I never read the answer and do not remember despite being at all of the games in Snively that opening year (all of the earlier games that season were played away, as Snively's footprint overlapped with the old outdoor Batchelder Rink). Ironically "Whoop" Snively died on 15 April 1964, the same day that the new indoor arena was announced (did the announcement cause his heart attack?), and then named for Whoop soon thereafter. The quick construction of Snively Arena was fun to watch over those few months, but alas no more hockey pucks were to be collected by schoolkids during spring snowbank melt out. Some of these vintage hockey pucks now sell on EBay for over $70.

UNH men's hockey progressed quickly over the first few years in Snively Arena, primarily the result of hiring Rube Bjorkman as head coach. Rube's record his first year (1965/66) was 11-12, but that improved dramatically over the next three years to 18-7, 22-7, and 22-6-1, as Rube recruited many of his own players from Canada. His 1966/67 team was loaded and included forwards Bob Brandt, Rich David, Dick Walsh, Dave Sheen, Colin Sutherland, Joe Bartlett, the Rothwell brothers, and Mike Ontkean; D-men Graham Bruder, Mickey Goulet, Pete Stoutenburg (married a beautiful ORHS classmate), and Bill Noble; and aforementioned Rick Metzger in net. Mike Ontkean went on to become a Hollywood actor and performed a featured role in the film Slap Shot. Before either Rube's second or third season at UNH, the team moved from ECAC-2 to ECAC-1 where they had some post-season success in the late 1970s.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Wow, powerhouses of the Atlantic Conference. It's like the last days of Umile, desperately scouring the sixth most powerful conference for potential wins.
        Was thinking the same exact thing, 'Watcher. Just reeks of desperation, doesn't it?
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
          The women have a game with St A's. Are the men far behind with a home and home with the vaunted hockey powerhouse from Goffstown? Maybe Chuck finally gets to see the Granite Cup come to life starring UNH, St A's, Keene St and Oyster River ..... Live from the Dover Ice Arena!
          Pretty sure UNH used to practice at Dover Ice Arena, at least back when The Whitt was still under construction, and the roof over Jackson's Landing wasn't collapsing (pretty sure I've related the tale of skating on that sheet with our youngest the night before it caved in). So it would at least mark a return to the wide eyed optimistic "glory days" of the early Coach Umile Era, when we hadn't quite figured out yet that Mr. Turtleneck was going to have a star-crossed career when it came to winning the biggest of big games. But in fairness to Umile, he still owns the program's high-water mark, eh?

All credit to St. Anselm's for pushing the competitive boat out and trying to punch above their weight - maybe they'll shame SNHU into doing the same?? And then we're practically there (at least on the Women's side of the ledger). No doubt they've been reading out stuff on here for inspiration ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Was thinking the same exact thing, 'Watcher. Just reeks of desperation, doesn't it?
            Not necessarily desperation. I suppose one could say with a young team, give them some success to build upon. At this point, its a humorous thing, but won't really change my perspective on where we are and what the new AD (ahem, ahem) must decide next March 7th when the season ends.
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
              Hey Chuck just wondering if you watched Unrivaled and if so what your thoughts were.

I found it interesting and almost wish I had ESPN+ to watch the expanded edition.
              Yeah, Felgie - I did catch it, some of it was fantastic, but in the end I was hoping for more (hence the expanded edition on ESPN+ I'm guessing?). It seemed to end somewhat prematurely, as the final bookend on the rivalry is seen by most on my side of the aisle as the Wings waxing Roy and the Avs 7-0 in Game 7 of the '02 Western Conference Finals. Video is attached to show what was arguably the greatest collection of talent ever seen in the NHL, a year or two before the strike that brought the salary cap (and more parity) into the NHL.

When I say "bookend" ... as the "Unrivaled" E:60 showed, the start of the rivalry was arguably the night the Wings waxed the Canadiens 11-1 in the old Forum in late 1995, when then Montreal goalie Patrick Roy was chased from the game early but left in way too late, leading to the fracturing of his shaky relationship with former teammate/then head coach Mario Tremblay, when Roy literally leaned over to the Habs' GM to demand a trade mid-game after he was pulled. We had rented out the old Children's Museum of Portsmouth (now in Dover, as I understand) for our eldest's 6 year old birthday party that same night, and when we got home afterwards, the Wings were laying the wood to Roy/Habs like never before (or since). Great night!!!

Anyway, that triggered the trade of Roy to the Avs, and then the '96 Western Finals and the Lemieux hit on Draper did the rest. But Roy getting lit up by the Wings started AND ended the rivalry.

The Lemieux/McCarty detente feels more than a little contrived to me though, Felgie. McCarty was an underrated big game performer - his '97 Cup clincher vs. Philly was Exhibit A of several other timely goals in his career - but he seems (to me) to be a little too willing to cash in on every last opportunity to remind folks he was a 4 time Cup winner in Detroit. Kind of a knock-off version of Bob Probert, but Probie misbehaved once too often, got himself traded before the Cups started coming, and McCarty always knew where his bread was buttered. Even now, with diehard DRW fans, there is reverence for a flawed Probert (RIP) who won nothing, and some level of scorn for McCarty, who won lots. Probably down to style points TBH.

But all in all, "Unrivaled" shows a great slice of the greatest extended pro rivalry of my lifetime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Ok, this post brings me out of 8+ months of retirement, before I go back under my rock for another 8+ months. When I was growing up in Durham, two classmates played hockey (I skied) for the Oyster River High Bobcats before matriculating at UNH: Dave Savidge (1965/65-1966/67; first year students did not play varsity then) and Bob Grant (1967/68-1969/70). A backup UNH goalie Dave Hagerman from Plymouth, NH (1965/66-1967/68) was married and rented the downstairs apartment in our house. Dave backed up Colin Clark in net his first year (on 3 March 1965, Colin made 65 saves in a 8-0 loss to BU a couple weeks after Snively Arena opened, a really tough game to watch) and Rick Metzger his second two seasons.

In a post during my absence, someone (maybe Whalers?) asked who got the assist(s) on the first goal in Snively Arena by Brad Houston on 13 February 1965 in a 4-3 OT loss to Norwich, but I never read the answer and do not remember despite being at all of the games in Snively that opening year (all of the earlier games that season were played away, as Snively's footprint overlapped with the old outdoor Batchelder Rink). Ironically "Whoop" Snively died on 15 April 1964, the same day that the new indoor arena was announced (did the announcement cause his heart attack?), and then named for Whoop soon thereafter. The quick construction of Snively Arena was fun to watch over those few months, but alas no more hockey pucks were to be collected by schoolkids during spring snowbank melt out. Some of these vintage hockey pucks now sell on EBay for over $70.

UNH men's hockey progressed quickly over the first few years in Snively Arena, primarily the result of hiring Rube Bjorkman as head coach. Rube's record his first year (1965/66) was 11-12, but that improved dramatically over the next three years to 18-7, 22-7, and 22-6-1, as Rube recruited many of his own players from Canada. His 1966/67 team was loaded and included forwards Bob Brandt, Rich David, Dick Walsh, Dave Sheen, Colin Sutherland, Joe Bartlett, the Rothwell brothers, and Mike Ontkean; D-men Graham Bruder, Mickey Goulet, Pete Stoutenburg (married a beautiful ORHS classmate), and Bill Noble; and aforementioned Rick Metzger in net. Mike Ontkean went on to become a Hollywood actor and performed a featured role in the film Slap Shot. Before either Rube's second or third season at UNH, the team moved from ECAC-2 to ECAC-1 where they had some post-season success in the late 1970s.

Snives, where you been?!?!? Great to see you back, hope you visit more often, hope all is well.

The place simply ain't the same without you to keep us all honest. Have a great summer, mon ami.

Comment

• So ... I see that 'dc teased the "white smoke" thing and then disappeared. Which gets me to thinking ... I was away this past week in the friendly burgh of Allentown PA for business travel (no snarky comments, but if you do, make it good!) and on my way home yesterday midday (Friday) I was on Rte. 287 East near Rte. 684 North somewhere in Westchester County NY when what do my eyes see? The UNH Wildcats sports travel bus!! Just north of NYC on the First of July?!?!? That was weird - hardly the first place I'd have expected to have seen that bus on that date.

Maybe the vaunted "UNH Steering Committee for Hiring of the New AD" was taking a junket into the Big City to meet with the lead candidate for a "Pretty Please Come to Durham" pitch?? But ... who???

* Former US President Bill "Bubba" Clinton
                  * (Almost) Former US President "Lion" Hillary Clinton
                  * Former NYC Mayor Bill DeBlasio f/k/a Warren Wilhelm Jr.
                  * Former ESPN/current ABC personality Robin Roberts
                  * Former Clinton/current ABC shill George Stephanopoulos
                  * Whoopie "Pie" Goldberg and/or Joyce Behar from The View
                  * Itinerant NHL head coach Gerard Gallant (just a matter of time)
                  * Standout Penn swimmer/graduate Lia (f/k/a Billy) Thomas
                  * UNH dropout/former borderline NHL *star* James van Riemsdyk
                  * US Senator from New York, Charles "Chucky Baby" Schumer
                  * Cultural icon/UNH Class of '64 (Alpha Tau Omega) Alfred E. Neuman
                  * Westchester's own all-around Woke icon (and BU grad) Sandy Cortez
                  * A very bored Rudy "America's Mayor" Giuliani
                  * Sean Hannity (OK - just kidding about the last two on this list!)

Anyway ... so many choices, so much time (what, almost 8 months now, late November to early July), the possibilities frankly are endless. Bon voyage, Blue Skies, don't let the door hit you in the ...

Comment

• Today feels like it will be a great day.
                    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                      Today feels like it will be a great day.
                      It's a great day to be a Wildcat...everyday is a great day to be a Wildcat!!!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        So ... I see that 'dc teased the "white smoke" thing and then disappeared. Which gets me to thinking ... I was away this past week in the friendly burgh of Allentown PA for business travel (no snarky comments, but if you do, make it good!) and on my way home yesterday midday (Friday) I was on Rte. 287 East near Rte. 684 North somewhere in Westchester County NY when what do my eyes see? The UNH Wildcats sports travel bus!! Just north of NYC on the First of July?!?!? That was weird - hardly the first place I'd have expected to have seen that bus on that date.

Maybe the vaunted "UNH Steering Committee for Hiring of the New AD" was taking a junket into the Big City to meet with the lead candidate for a "Pretty Please Come to Durham" pitch?? But ... who???

* Former US President Bill "Bubba" Clinton
                        * (Almost) Former US President "Lion" Hillary Clinton
                        * Former NYC Mayor Bill DeBlasio f/k/a Warren Wilhelm Jr.
                        * Former ESPN/current ABC personality Robin Roberts
                        * Former Clinton/current ABC shill George Stephanopoulos
                        * Whoopie "Pie" Goldberg and/or Joyce Behar from The View
                        * Itinerant NHL head coach Gerard Gallant (just a matter of time)
                        * Standout Penn swimmer/graduate Lia (f/k/a Billy) Thomas
                        * UNH dropout/former borderline NHL *star* James van Riemsdyk
                        * US Senator from New York, Charles "Chucky Baby" Schumer
                        * Cultural icon/UNH Class of '64 (Alpha Tau Omega) Alfred E. Neuman
                        * Westchester's own all-around Woke icon (and BU grad) Sandy Cortez
                        * A very bored Rudy "America's Mayor" Giuliani
                        * Sean Hannity (OK - just kidding about the last two on this list!)

Anyway ... so many choices, so much time (what, almost 8 months now, late November to early July), the possibilities frankly are endless. Bon voyage, Blue Skies, don't let the door hit you in the ...
                        Geeze Chuck nobody was spared in your list of possible ..candidates covered all of your bases. Sad to see your continued diss of JvR...the rest are not surprising. Still had to be quite the surprise to see the UNH bus in PA...

Hope that whomever gets the nod for the AD puts out something....anything of value to counter all of the other HE schools that I get emails for since I've bought tickets from. Shoot even a thank you for renewing would be a bonus. Maybe I missed it???
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• UNH announces AD...Allison Rich just got the email ...officially starts July 25th Presser July 14. Princeton background. Let the chatter begin!
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 07-05-2022, 09:42 AM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            UNH announces AD...Allison Rich just got the email ...officially starts July 25th Presser July 14. Princeton background. Let the chatter begin!
                            Seems like more of a compliance person than a fundraising/development person. Hopefully it works out for you.
                            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              UNH announces AD...Allison Rich just got the email ...officially starts July 25th Presser July 14. Princeton background. Let the chatter begin!
                              Not sure how to chat about something I know little about. Wildcatdc, any thoughts?
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

Seems like more of a compliance person than a fundraising/development person. Hopefully it works out for you.
                                Did you read the info on her? I have barely skimmed the email...
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X