Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Hey Matt, great to see you on here, and my heartfelt condolences to you and your family on the loss of "olddog", who as you know was my USCHO BFF for many a year, both on these boards, and at college hockey rinks literally between here and the Twin Cities. Ernie was not only a collaborator (he would prefer "co-conspirator") on some great USCHO moments, he was the "quiet" half of the WIS operation, and flags at the WIS Estate will remain perpetually at half-staff in his honor. There's not a time when my travels bring me past his (and eventually our) favorite Chinese food hangout when I don't think of him and the great times we shared regarding UNH Hockey, and even the brief one year stretch we worked for the same company, when his long-time employer bought out mine, before I moved on to greener pastures (which he strongly encouraged - and he was proven right).

Your Dad certainly lived a full life, and it was a privilege to be associated with him in the slightest, Matt. He always talked in glowing terms of how proud he was of you, and your accomplishments in the business world (and everywhere else). He was a one-of-a-kind guy (I still remember him raking the roof well into his 60's!), and no one came close as a traveling companion, both for his skills behind the wheel (a true NASCAR wanna-be), and the depth of his endless stories from his time across the world, and from brushing up with the famous and nearly-famous in his media role.

There's a lot of times in recent years that I lament on here about the "lost generation" of UNH diehard fans, and it's guys like Ernie and the rest of his crew of long-time buddies dotted around the arena who aren't there anymore that I have in mind when lamenting on the state of UNH Hockey. Things really have changed since you left, and there will be times when you probably think you're "Matt van Winkle" when you return to a half-empty, re-sized, and sanitized/super-quiet Whitt, and think back to the good ol' days. I hope we see them come around again someday ...
    Chuck, what a magnificent tribute; thank you. Your friendship brought my father a lot of joy; I can't thank you enough. I know the Chinese place you speak of - perhaps we can meet up there someday for a meal in his honor. We just bought a home in...Dover, so I guess my screenname was rather prescient.

Thank you again for the kind words and memories. He certainly was a die-hard supporter! At least he got to see his wish for a coaching change happen before he left.

Looking forward to seeing you around these parts - and here's to hoping we can get back to some facsimile of the good ol' days!

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
      I'm curious with that construction blog you posted how they say they are going to maintain the sightlines. Last I was aware they were unable to do deeper with the ice floor to help and they were not sliding in the seating bowl.
      That jumped out at me too. I call BS.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• With summer having hit, the roster would seem to be fixed with the exception of perhaps a late Euro. Here's the "final" roster of 28 players, good talent and depth on the back-end (9 players), but very light on depth up front (16 players, unless a late add), and heavily reliant on freshmen

So.Will Margel (18-1-3-4)--------Sr.Chase Stevenson-(33-4-1-5)-----So.Robert Cronin (30-7-5-12)
        So.Liam Devlin-(34-9-7-16)-----Sr.Harrison Blaisdell-(25-2-6-8)-----Jr.Nick Cafarelli (15-3-4-7)
        Fr.Cy Leclerc-(NA)-----------------Fr.Stiven Sardarian-(NA)------------Fr.Kristap Skrastins (NA)
        Fr.Jake Dunlap-(NA)--------------Fr.Morgan Winters-(NA)-------------Jr.Cam Gendron-(19-1-1-2)
        So.Connor Sweeney-(22-0-0-0)--Gr.Ryan Black-----------------------So.Conor Lovett
        Sr.Joe Hankinson (1-0-0-0)

Sr.Kalle Eriksson-(32-0-12-12)----So.Colton Huard (28-6-10-16)
        So.Alex Gagne-(33-1-7-8)---------Jr.Luke Reid (34-3-5-8)
        Fr.Damien Carfagna (NA)----------Jr.Nikolai Jenson-(30-1-5-6)
        So.Nico DeVita (29-1-2-3)---------So.Jack Babbage
        Fr.Cade Penney (NA)

Fr.Tyler Muszelik----------Sr.David Fessenden------------Jr.Jeremy Forman

On the AD front, I believe we heard Marty's contract expires at the end of June, so I would guess we will hear this week about a successor.
        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 06-22-2022, 07:38 AM.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          With summer having hit, the roster would seem to be fixed with the exception of perhaps a late Euro.
          Informed speculation?

My namesake would being asking Tony Maz about his Apple watch.

UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Just a guess - I'm certainly uninformed. They seem a bit short up front after deferring Turner, and Euros seem to pop up late in some places (Prov got 2, Michigan State one, etc.)
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGZaDNZv56c
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• I think there was still snow on the ground when they did that interview on the AD "process" ...
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Thanks for that! Dated April 5. President Dean’s philosophy and answers would be the same if interviewed today.

Comment

• From the UML thread:

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                      Thanks for that! Dated April 5. President Dean’s philosophy and answers would be the same if interviewed today.
                      Wouldn't it be nice to have the new person in situ the day after BS scurries off to Upstate NY??

Comment

• A first: Saint Anselm women's hockey team to play UNH:
                        https://www.unionleader.com/sports/c...0519e80c8.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Wouldn't it be nice to have the new person in situ the day after BS scurries off to Upstate NY??
                          Of course. Sooner even, but not at the expense of getting it right just to meet a deadline. My concern all along is that compensation, closing the deal with the chosen candidate, slows the process or prevents us from getting the top choice(s). This is where your sources may be accurate as a plan D.

Comment

A first: Saint Anselm women's hockey team to play UNH:
                            https://www.unionleader.com/sports/c...0519e80c8.html
                            Cool - a nice little case study for the NH Beanpot crowd, on the fall out of a program steeped in (former) Division I glory playing and losing to a Division II school. Can't wait!
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Cool - a nice little case study for the NH Beanpot crowd, on the fall out of a program steeped in (former) Division I glory playing and losing to a Division II school. Can't wait!
                              LOL

Credit to St. Anselm's Women's program, as it looks like they'll not only be playing UNH, but also about a half-dozen other HEA, ECAC and CHA teams. Ambitious thinking, that should be rewarded.

Comment

From the UML thread:

Wonder if there will be any kind of summer cookout etc this season like in the past? Anything? Something? Hope everyone is doing well...happy summer to you.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X