Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to Mike Ayers. Good guy by all accounts, and the most successful goalie in UNH history. Maybe others had more success at the next level, but Ayers won both of UNH's Hockey East tourney titles, and also was responsible for one of the gutsiest performances in the history of the program after his gruesome hand injury in the first half of a busy weekend in Orono. Kudos!!
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
      Thanks Darius.
      You’re welcome. From a hockey perspective this was way under played likely because it was part of the bigger picture with former stars from several teams receiving equal coverage.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        I'm not sure what's running lower these days ... the stock market, President Magoo's approval polls, OR interest in UNH Men's Hockey? And here we are in mid-June, purportedly down to "short strokes" on appointing UNH's new AD, while I keep any offseason silliness on hold until we know who's gonna be in charge. Unless of course, we already know who it's gonna be ...
        Maybe longer quicker strokes are needed to make something happen.

GO BLUE!

Comment

• From unhwildcats.com, ’CATS SOCIAL: UNH Athletics mourns the loss of Frederick B. Whittemore, in recognition of his long history of service to the state and the University. UNH dedicated the Whittemore Center Arena to him and his family on May 5, 1996. Obituary https://legcy.co/3MZvrWA
          Last edited by Darius; 06-16-2022, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
            Maybe longer quicker strokes are needed to make something happen.
            If they get it right, then none of us will care or remember how long it took them to get it right.

IF they go in one of the directions I still suspect they're going to pursue, and we're back here in a few years with Hockey still in the doldrums, this "process" will be remembered. Often.

The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision. Don't be a flat squirrel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

The road of life is paved with flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision. Don't be a flat squirrel.
              Now that is a great life lesson quote!

Comment

• If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart

Comment

• Hello fellow UNH fans; I hope everyone is well. It's been 10 years since I last posted, but I've recently moved back to the area and am looking forward to more closely following the Wildcats. I'm likely going to purchase season tickets for the upcoming year, but this thread title caught my attention. It sounds like the Whittemore Center will be undergoing a renovation; I vaguely recall a game being postponed due to an ice issue either this past season or the season prior. So, a couple of questions:
                  • Can anyone direct me to a link/article on the changes that are being made to the Whittemore Center?
                  • General advice on season tickets - best section, things to be aware of, etc. Particularly interested in light of purported renovation.
                  • As much as I'm looking forward to going to games again, it seems unlikely that I'll get to the full slate. Can any STH's advise as top whether or not UNH allows you to exchange tickets for games that you're unable to make?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to joining the conversation about the team.

Also, for Chuck Murray - it's Matt; Ernie's son. Thank you for all that you did for my father when he was still with us. He always spoke so fondly of you and considered you a true friend. If you're still getting to games, I hope to see you this Fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by OvahInDovah View Post
                    Hello fellow UNH fans; I hope everyone is well. It's been 10 years since I last posted, but I've recently moved back to the area and am looking forward to more closely following the Wildcats.
                    oh booooy, are you in for a shock...

"...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                    Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                    NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                    EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                    AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                    1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Hello fellow UNH fans; I hope everyone is well. It's been 10 years since I last posted, but I've recently moved back to the area and am looking forward to more closely following the Wildcats. I'm likely going to purchase season tickets for the upcoming year, but this thread title caught my attention. It sounds like the Whittemore Center will be undergoing a renovation; I vaguely recall a game being postponed due to an ice issue either this past season or the season prior. So, a couple of questions:
                      • Can anyone direct me to a link/article on the changes that are being made to the Whittemore Center?
                      • General advice on season tickets - best section, things to be aware of, etc. Particularly interested in light of purported renovation.
                      • As much as I'm looking forward to going to games again, it seems unlikely that I'll get to the full slate. Can any STH's advise as top whether or not UNH allows you to exchange tickets for games that you're unable to make?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to joining the conversation about the team.

Also, for Chuck Murray - it's Matt; Ernie's son. Thank you for all that you did for my father when he was still with us. He always spoke so fondly of you and considered you a true friend. If you're still getting to games, I hope to see you this Fall.
                      Well, I will try to answer your questions with as little snark as possible towards UNH Athletics...

As far as I know there is no link / updated information about this renovation aside from reports that there are a handful of images somewhere on Instagram. I linked a TNH article at the bottom with the gist of what they are doing. What we know are the following, the ice width is being reduced 10 feet to create a 200x90 surface. The other part of the renovation that is known as that it will include a new ice plant in the machine room and a new sound system in the arena. Beyond that there has been very little information.

Regarding seating, I found a survey back when the renovation was originally scheduled in 2020. The survey of the seating said that if they do not slide the seating bowl in to match that the first 4 rows on the sides will have terrible ice views that get progressively better as you go up. This has to do with the low pitch angle already in place being further obstructed by the boards moving in 5 feet on each side (geometry and such). They are not sliding in the seats so beware of that when picking.

Regarding seat exchanges, that used to be a thing but in the last couple of years it has gone away and they have resorted to "no refunds, no exchanges". This past year they did allow for exchanges only on a game they did not play due to a covid issue. They would not issue refunds or credits to account if you did not exchange them either so take that into consideration for yourself.

​​​​​I'm unfortunately a departing STH for at least this season, if you are planning to go to all the games the price discount is well worth it. Unfortunately I'm the last several years (even pre covid) the perks have all but dried up outside of that. I hope to find a desire to return to full seasons in the future, hopefully this will help you out. If you want any more specific information I'll try to help as best I can.

https://tnhdigital.com/20533/sports/...nter-upgrades/
                      Last edited by deltabravo62; 06-21-2022, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Here's the original analysis: https://www.bidnet.com/bneattachments?/573575440.pdf

Costs have changed and only a portion of the work is being done: https://www.pcconstruction.com/blog/...-center-arena/

There is some discussion at the beginning of this thread and the end of our last one: https://fanforum.uscho.com/forum/col...ons-of-october

For tickets you could sample different locations by purchasing at the box office just before each game.
                        Last edited by Darius; 06-21-2022, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• I'm curious with that construction blog you posted how they say they are going to maintain the sightlines. Last I was aware they were unable to do deeper with the ice floor to help and they were not sliding in the seating bowl.

Comment

Hello fellow UNH fans; I hope everyone is well. It's been 10 years since I last posted, but I've recently moved back to the area and am looking forward to more closely following the Wildcats. I'm likely going to purchase season tickets for the upcoming year, but this thread title caught my attention. It sounds like the Whittemore Center will be undergoing a renovation; I vaguely recall a game being postponed due to an ice issue either this past season or the season prior. So, a couple of questions:

Hey Matt, great to see you on here, and my heartfelt condolences to you and your family on the loss of "olddog", who as you know was my USCHO BFF for many a year, both on these boards, and at college hockey rinks literally between here and the Twin Cities. Ernie was not only a collaborator (he would prefer "co-conspirator") on some great USCHO moments, he was the "quiet" half of the WIS operation, and flags at the WIS Estate will remain perpetually at half-staff in his honor. There's not a time when my travels bring me past his (and eventually our) favorite Chinese food hangout when I don't think of him and the great times we shared regarding UNH Hockey, and even the brief one year stretch we worked for the same company, when his long-time employer bought out mine, before I moved on to greener pastures (which he strongly encouraged - and he was proven right).

Your Dad certainly lived a full life, and it was a privilege to be associated with him in the slightest, Matt. He always talked in glowing terms of how proud he was of you, and your accomplishments in the business world (and everywhere else). He was a one-of-a-kind guy (I still remember him raking the roof well into his 60's!), and no one came close as a traveling companion, both for his skills behind the wheel (a true NASCAR wanna-be), and the depth of his endless stories from his time across the world, and from brushing up with the famous and nearly-famous in his media role.

There's a lot of times in recent years that I lament on here about the "lost generation" of UNH diehard fans, and it's guys like Ernie and the rest of his crew of long-time buddies dotted around the arena who aren't there anymore that I have in mind when lamenting on the state of UNH Hockey. Things really have changed since you left, and there will be times when you probably think you're "Matt van Winkle" when you return to a half-empty, re-sized, and sanitized/super-quiet Whitt, and think back to the good ol' days. I hope we see them come around again someday ...

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                              Snipped for brevity (and because I've forgotten how to multi-quote) - Matt

Thank you so much for the wealth of information; I greatly appreciate it. That is very disappointing to read about the lack of a ticket exchange. That alone may have me rethinking this...I'll have to call the ticket office and see if they offer a half-season or a flex pack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                (snipped)

For tickets you could sample different locations by purchasing at the box office just before each game.
                                Thanks, Darius - that is a good suggestion, especially if I don't get the full season package.

Comment

Working...
                                X