Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

So, by August then 'dc? September maybe?? End of 2022??? Sheesh ...

The "whittling down" process should have been at its "short strokes" stage a month or two ago.

Do you have any insight into how strongly intersectionality is being pushed in the process?
    I think you and I know that short strokes doesn’t mean months. They’ve moved at a pace appropriate for what’s at stake, certainly given the few other bigger items on the agenda.

With regards to your last point, I know you know how I feel about that topic, and fully understand your (and other’s) concerns. That stated, I’m not going into any detail here.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Dan, how we feeling bout the Horns’ chances? And where do you come down on OU’s “home-field advantage”, at least with regards to recruiting??

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
        Dan, how we feeling bout the Horns’ chances? And where do you come down on OU’s “home-field advantage”, at least with regards to recruiting??
        Slim. Duh. OK is a wagon. :-) Unseeded TX is here, has beaten OK, but it would be an epic upset. Nobody has beaten OK twice, TX has the pitching to do it once, maybe, but twice is a huge ask.

Also curious what Dan thinks about the portal from where both starting pitchers came.

Also, I know I am not Dan.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

To compare that to a situation where the announcement was made early to enable a well-thought-out, extensive search and recruitment process is just ridiculous. Think what you’d like to about Marty, but the fact that he’s had this semester to focus on driving some efforts which have a very long tail is a good thing; efforts that if they come to fruition will mean very good things for the program we love. He’s hardly counting down days right now. This has enabled the President, the search committee, the exec recruiting firm, etc., bear down nationally to identify dozens of candidates, and go through a multi-step whittling-down process that is in its short strokes as we speak. This is all being done while several other arguably larger fish are needing frying at both the UNH and system level, that require a ton of time and attention as well.
          What are these fish of which you speak? I know their is some consolidation with President Dean assuming additional system wide responsibility. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
            …TX has the pitching to do it once…
            or not.

Comment

What are these fish of which you speak? I know their is some consolidation with President Dean assuming additional system wide responsibility. Thanks.
              You nailed the chancellor one. I would point to the faculty union negotiations as a huge undertaking, GSC integration as another. I’ll leave it at that since all three of those are public record.

Comment

or not.
                Yes, yikes. And I should have included you in my question to Dan. I was hoping for a more competitive game/series!

Comment

You nailed the chancellor one. I would point to the faculty union negotiations as a huge undertaking, GSC integration as another. I’ll leave it at that since all three of those are public record.
                  The USNH office have their heads up their collective asses - its a wonder any decisions get made (and the ones that do are usually wrong or misguided). Look at moving the system office to Concord several years back (abandoning the offices they already owned outright in Durham) made by the USNH Chancellor Leach, who has since been pushed out (and not replaced BTW). Now they have a lease on a building that nobody goes to anymore, as last I heard the majority are still working remotely. I have no confidence in them, or UNH, in making correct decisions.
                  Last edited by d.gerry; 06-09-2022, 03:18 PM.
                  GO BLUE!

Comment

Dan, how we feeling bout the Horns’ chances? And where do you come down on OU’s “home-field advantage”, at least with regards to recruiting??
                    I think we saw last night what we've seen all season - that Oklahoma is the clear class of the NCAA softball field this year. The lineup they run out on a nightly basis is incredible. I don't ever remember a team run-ruling their way through the National Tournament like this - the Sooners are 9-1 w/ 6 mercy rule wins after last night. We saw how they responded after a loss to UCLA, the Longhorn's regular season win over OU was probably the worst thing that ever happened to them...

The portal giveth and taketh - it is what it is at this point, simply part of the landscape. I certainly don't begrudge any student-athlete mobility, the problem (as always) comes with the adults who abuse the portal, cheat the system and poach kids off other rosters. Unfortunately, that's what adults do when money and jobs are on the line. There should be stricter punishment for any coach found breaking the rules...

In the case of Dolcini and Trautwein, I believe both were graduate transfers (using their COVID season) and both left their previous schools following coaching changes. Hard to complain about either taking advantage of a graduate season to make a run at the WCWS...

Hosting the WCWS in OKC is a huge advantage for OU and OSU, but they both had to build up their programs before they could get to the point of tapping into the recruiting and home field benefits. They don't need the event in their backyard to recruit any longer, though it's certainly nice for them to play in front of encouraging crowds. That said, there is no equivalent facility to host this tournament. They could host on a baseball field somewhere (which is how they play in Asia)? Chicago could potentially host with a little work? Maybe USSSA builds a place? Until then, OKC is really the only option...
                    Last edited by Dan; 06-09-2022, 11:28 AM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Yes, yikes. And I should have included you in my question to Dan. I was hoping for a more competitive game/series!
                      Time to point to TX being undefeated in elimination games. So far. Clearly over matched last night, the errors need to be eliminated as they mostly had been during the tournament. Last night they reverted to in season fielding form. It is all probably mute. If OK ST hadn't imploded in the semis, TX would not even be playing.

You know you are in trouble when the opposing team's football coach (remember this is OKLAHOMA) when asked about the softball program, responds "It’s intimidating. Are you kidding me? I had a chance to speak to the girls. I was just going to throw the pitch out and then someone asked me to go in and speak to the girls and I’m like ‘what am I gonna tell them. That’s like marrying Oprah. Like what are you gonna give them that they don’t already have? But they’re addicted to winning and they’ve been the example in college softball. Coach Gasso and her program, her coaches. So, I’m trying to learn how to win at the highest level like they have. They’re as good there’s been in a long time. Maybe the most dominant collegiate team in any sport ever. So it’s pretty cool to be a bird on the wall.” He encouraged his players to “watch these girls. How they compete, how they win, how they fight, how they play together, it’s really inspiring. The energy is very infectious, it’s very contagious. And so I told all the players, ‘this is how you win at the highest level, come watch this.”

For individual greatness here are Jocelyn Alo's season stats: 61 games played, 34 home runs, 85 RBI, .519 AVG. Has to be the finest hitting season, softball or baseball, ever.

Comment

Seems like this is the forever fish, casting a pall and influencing everything else at the U.

Comment

• I'm not sure what's running lower these days ... the stock market, President Magoo's approval polls, OR interest in UNH Men's Hockey? And here we are in mid-June, purportedly down to "short strokes" on appointing UNH's new AD, while I keep any offseason silliness on hold until we know who's gonna be in charge. Unless of course, we already know who it's gonna be ...
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Okay Chuck, here is a hockey related thought. Why in god’s name was nothing posted on the official team website announcing Mike Ayer’s inducted in to the UNH Hall of Fame. They mention the passing of Dave O’Connor (which is fine and appropriate). but nothing on Mike!? Asleep at the wheel.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                              Okay Chuck, here is a hockey related thought. Why in god’s name was nothing posted on the official team website announcing Mike Ayer’s inducted in to the UNH Hall of Fame. They mention the passing of Dave O’Connor (which is fine and appropriate). but nothing on Mike!? Asleep at the wheel.
                              It is at the bottom of unhwildcats.com in the ‘cats social section. Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Tweet: https://twitter.com/UNHWildcats/stat...70179582087168 Steve Doig looks to be loving life.

Full unhwildcats.com article when announcement was made: https://unhwildcats.com/news/2022/3/...s-of-2022.aspx
                              Last edited by Darius; 06-14-2022, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Darius.

Comment

Working...
                                X