Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH 2023 recruit Nick Ring and the New Jersey Titans won the NAHL Robertson cup Championship last night with a 3-0 win over Anchorage. Ring had 10 points in 12 games Congrats.

Comment

• Seems that Notre Dame is putting together quite a collection of post grad hockey players for next year, Pierson being one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        Interesting weekend results. A tough one for the SEC, good ones for the PAC12 (potentially great if UW wins; maybe already great??), ACC and BIG12...
        Not an SEC fan because...SEC. Having said that, FL is my pick for a super regional upset if there is one. Five unseeded teams in the supers. OR ST/Stanford and AZ/MS ST playing each other so at least two will play on the WCWS.

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Happy Memorial Day weekend. Has anyone seen or heard any up dating on the new ice situation. We will probably hear something once it is finished. I think they are once again missing out on a great opportunity to creat some excitement about this “important and needed change“. Show NH what is happening and why it will translate to a new and improved product. “Buy your season tickets now and come to the August 15th Open House and meet coach Sousa and team members on campus.”
          Unfortunately they can’t seem to market anything. Sad!

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
            Happy Memorial Day weekend. Has anyone seen or heard any up dating on the new ice situation. We will probably hear something once it is finished. I think they are once again missing out on a great opportunity to creat some excitement about this “important and needed change“. Show NH what is happening and why it will translate to a new and improved product. “Buy your season tickets now and come to the August 15th Open House and meet coach Sousa and team members on campus.”
            The only time in my lifetime that UNH was forced to actively market Hockey was in the immediate aftermath of building The Whitt in the mid-'90's, when they were faced with the challenge of filling a new building that was almost twice the capacity of Snively Arena. When they surprised themselves and ended up with a string of sell-outs and waiting lists, they also spent some time (believe it or not) pumping up Gib Chapman's Hoops program at around the same time, where a mostly NH-based starting line-up (Drapeau, Alosa & Mantenari - sp?) actually put up two really good seasons in a row, and I think some folks like me were starved for live sports action in Durham that catching some games across the street sounded kinda fun.

UNH "marketing" after that really kicked into cruise control, and spent more time focusing on how to better soak STH's for a wide array of supplemental charges. "Marketing" was fully exposed as the emperor without clothes once the Kings landed an AHL team in Manchester, and instead of battling to retain a significant statewide footprint, UNH passively allowed the Kings to set the tone for hockey marketing except for territory north of Rte. 101 and east of Rte. 125.

This is the biggest opportunity the new AD will have when they take the job. Unless it's a holdover ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Happy Memorial Day weekend. Has anyone seen or heard any up dating on the new ice situation. We will probably hear something once it is finished. I think they are once again missing out on a great opportunity to creat some excitement about this “important and needed change“. Show NH what is happening and why it will translate to a new and improved product. “Buy your season tickets now and come to the August 15th Open House and meet coach Sousa and team members on campus.”
              Have you seen the pics? Quite dramatic...will be sooo different. I wonder if they will do anything like they have prior to cov9d for STH (and hey the general public) I've yet to renew...guess I better get on it.
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Ref, where did you see/find the pictures. As a STH I haven’t gotten an email.
                Unless you like you don’t want to lose Your current seats probably no big deal.

Comment

• I hear you Chuck and remember the”great multipurpose dream” also. Did it last more than a year? Think they had the big Bonner/Florida game and then the change overs just didn’t justify the cost.
                  But they appear to be back to that opportunity again. If they lack staff to sent email blasts and media blasts why not enlist journalism students or marketing/communications majors for some real life experiences. I honestly feel that I could generate 1000 seat increase in their ST sales with the running head start that they had. Again, oh well!

Comment

Ref, where did you see/find the pictures. As a STH I haven’t gotten an email.
                    Aside from the blast emails telling STHs to "pay us now or pay us more" I haven't seen anything from the UNH ticket office. I got an initial response after emailing the ticket rep that their plan to raise prices in this manner was a slap in the face to those of us still here. The response was basically "this has been the plan for a while so it's what we are going to do". Based upon their response it appears that they plan on raising the prices regardless starting next year. I would place a bet that their STH renewals are scary low, I am giving up mine this year. I was on the fence for renewing this year but have decided not to after the decisions of the ticket office and athletics management regarding STH renewals.

I hope that after this season I see value in returning to full seasons, right now I do not.

Comment

• db, sorry to hear this but can’t say I am surprised. It is just so hard for me o believe that a large university can’t marshal the will and resources to make the most of (whatever you want to call this opportunity) to excite and stimulate the fan base. Obviously we have an AD on a very short road.

Comment

• Yeah, not hanging up on the team completely but it's a situation of changing priorities. I used to plan other winter things around the UNH hockey schedule and this year I'm going to plan UNH hockey attendance around other things. The university is doing a very poor job of creating excitement and value out of what should be their marquee program. Years of stagnant hockey and the unwillingness to see there is something rotten in Durham has led me to this point. When my season ticket partner who used to wince at the mention of giving up our seasons said she was ready to step back, that says something. We will be at the opener to see the new configuration, beyond that it will be a week to week determination.

Hopeful for the emergence of the young players who showed their talents this year and those incoming. I can not say I have any faith in the coaching staff to get the best out of these players. If I'm wrong I will be happy to admit so and their ability to generate excitement this year will be a determining factor in how many games we attend.

Comment

Instagram...UNH Hockey account

Comment

At this point t will probably renew or just purhase one. I have other pressing things possibly happening in the near future that may take.me out of the loop altogether as far as travelling to Durham...we will see.

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                              Yeah, not hanging up on the team completely but it's a situation of changing priorities. I used to plan other winter things around the UNH hockey schedule and this year I'm going to plan UNH hockey attendance around other things. The university is doing a very poor job of creating excitement and value out of what should be their marquee program. Years of stagnant hockey and the unwillingness to see there is something rotten in Durham has led me to this point. When my season ticket partner who used to wince at the mention of giving up our seasons said she was ready to step back, that says something. We will be at the opener to see the new configuration, beyond that it will be a week to week determination.
                              This, in a nutshell, is the blueprint over why SO many diehard UNH Hockey fans have gone away.

When you start to take your customers for granted, and stop sweating the details over the quality of the product on offer, it's an invitation for your customer to begin to look at other options.

You don't need a degree in marketing to come to any of these conclusions ... common sense will do.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• I've been very hesitant to post this....but here goes.

Yes, I am renewing my season tickets. I am doing so to honor my wife, who sadly took her last breath in the very early morning hours on May 8.

She was admittted to the hospital on April 30. On May 7, she was placed on full oxygen and while she was still conscious she agreed to be moved to hospice care. Though her breathing was difficult and trying to speak was even more so, she told to me to please keep our seats at the Whitt. This was coming from a woman who has been attending UNH hockey games since she was a very young child, when Snively Arena was first opened. A true superfan indeed.

So....in honor of her, I plan to be at as many games as I can, honoring the empty seat beside me. She always believed in this team, even when on most days these past several seasons, I did not. Perhaps her free and beautiful spirit will be there at the Whitt this upcoming season to help lift this team up.
                                UNH

Comment

Working...
                                X