Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

To Dick Umile's credit, even he hired former HC's Scott Borek (LSSU) and Jim Tortorella (Colby), and his assistants earlier in his career were mostly pretty experienced guys, too ...
    I should probably clarify as I always do that I personally think Jeff and Stewy are good people and appreciate the job they are doing. Think our D looks great but that power play...anyway...on selecting a coach / assistance coach especially to help you build a program that might have more, how do I say it, experience? than one and being able to let go of the EGO piece of it has to be challenging ....for some people. Kudos to the coaches that Dan mentions that picked up strong, experienced bound people and well, I mean, look at the results. Of course none of us knows the dynamics of the 3 UNH coaches and I am not in the position to criticize the work having no background to do so.

Oh crap, we all know things could have been....and should have been...different. Can't change that. So I am pretty much over all of that and continue to...hope for the best. Steeling myself for the AD selection...
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

I should probably clarify as I always do that I personally think Jeff and Stewy are good people and appreciate the job they are doing. Think our D looks great but that power play...anyway...on selecting a coach / assistance coach especially to help you build a program that might have more, how do I say it, experience? than one and being able to let go of the EGO piece of it has to be challenging ....for some people. Kudos to the coaches that Dan mentions that picked up strong, experienced bound people and well, I mean, look at the results. Of course none of us knows the dynamics of the 3 UNH coaches and I am not in the position to criticize the work having no background to do so.

Oh crap, we all know things could have been....and should have been...different. Can't change that. So I am pretty much over all of that and continue to...hope for the best. Steeling myself for the AD selection...
      Like you said ... look at the results. Kind of speak for themselves, you don't need specialized knowledge to comment on their work, especially if you can see things are amiss at even a very basic level (i.e. making the same mistakes over and over, not being able to put together an effective power play, etc.). Souza was arguably already an example of the "Peter Principle" at his previous station in life, with little if anything to show for his stints at Brown and UConn, but his connections (and their misplaced belief in him) got him his current position. He'll never get another shot at this level ever again, unless he produces a miraculous turnaround this coming season. Of this he seems blissfully unaware ... so I guess, ignorance IS bliss.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Congratulations to the UNH seniors who achieved academic honors

ATHLETIC DIRECTOR'S AWARD FOR ACADEMIC EXCELLENCE
        The Athletic Director's Award for Academic Excellence was first presented in 2010 and is given to the female and male senior student-athlete with the highest cumulate grade point average.

The 2022 recipients are Cate Wardinski (Burke, Va.) of the swimming & diving team and Drew Hickey (New Canaan, Conn.) of the men's ice hockey team.

Both Wildcats are two-time inductees into Chi Alpha Sigma, the National College Athlete Honor Society – juniors and seniors with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 or higher with good moral character.

Wardinski will graduate with a bachelor of science degree in Marine, Estuarine and Freshwater Biology. She was voted to the America East All-Academic Team all three years of eligibility (2020, 2021, 2022) and made the America East Commissioner's Honor Roll every year. Wardinski received the Elite 18 Award at the 2022 America East championships for holding the highest cumulative GPA of 3.97.

Hickey will graduate with a dual degree in Political Science and Justice Studies. He has made the Hockey East All-Academic Team every year and was also named a 2020-21 Krampade All-American Scholar by the American Hockey Coaches Association. Hickey has also been inducted into Phi Betta Kappa – the oldest and very selective academic honor society in the U.S. – and Pi Sigma Alpha, which is a National Political Science Honor Society.
        Also deserving of recognition are National Collegiate Athletic Honor Society members
        The members must achieve a cumulative grade-point average of 3.5 or higher and be of good moral character.
        Chase Stevenson Men' s Ice Hockey Junior Finance
        Will MacKinnon Men's Ice Hockey Senior Finance
        Ryan Verrier Men's Ice Hockey Senior Finance
        Drew Hickey Men's Ice Hockey Senior Political Science, Justice Studies
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Steeling myself for the AD selection...
          https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...s-Wrapping.php

"Michigan State

This is another case of a school with an athletic director for which hockey is not his area of expertise, running a cursory search that may have missed some good candidates."

UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• I can’t go into a lot of detail, but suffice it to say the process has been extremely far-reaching and thorough. For that reason, the timeline may stretch just a little bit.

Oh, and Chuck, you may really want to consider new sources.
            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
              I can’t go into a lot of detail, but suffice it to say the process has been extremely far-reaching and thorough. For that reason, the timeline may stretch just a little bit.

Oh, and Chuck, you may really want to consider new sources.
              So far, my sources are only off in gauging the time frame for hiring the new AD.

And I'll say for the billionth time that I hope they are wrong about who the hire will be.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

So far, my sources are only off in gauging the time frame for hiring the new AD.

And I'll say for the billionth time that I hope they are wrong about who the hire will be.
                They are.
                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Mark Divver @MarkDivver
                  U. of New Hampshire F Liam Devlin going to @NJDevils
                  development camp this summer. UNH D Colton Huard going to Chicago's camp

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                    Mark Divver @MarkDivver
                    U. of New Hampshire F Liam Devlin going to @NJDevils
                    development camp this summer. UNH D Colton Huard going to Chicago's camp
                    Scared me for a second there lol. Thanks for sharing! That's great to see. I think both are excellent players and had great seasons.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• ‘tis the season for a little off topic NCAA softball discussion. Lots of regional coverage on the ESPN family. Dan - I just noticed Miami is playing Kentucky right now, unfortunately down 4 - 1 in the 1st. I’ve not seen any “optional” video reviews this season. Are reviews allowed in the tournament?
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• And there it is, the first review of the tournament. Quick and easy. Hockey should take note.

not providing Miami updates. ouch.
                        Last edited by Darius; 05-20-2022, 05:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                          ‘tis the season for a little off topic NCAA softball discussion. Lots of regional coverage on the ESPN family. Dan - I just noticed Miami is playing Kentucky right now, unfortunately down 4 - 1 in the 1st. I’ve not seen any “optional” video reviews this season. Are reviews allowed in the tournament?
                          Miami had beaten Kentucky earlier this season 7-5, but today was an ugly result. No free lunch tomorrow against a pretty good Saint Francis team...

Seems like OU has to be slightly (or not so slightly) favored over the field this year - with FSU and ARK the most likely to unseat the Sooners.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Miami had beaten Kentucky earlier this season 7-5, but today was an ugly result. No free lunch tomorrow against a pretty good Saint Francis team...

Seems like OU has to be slightly (or not so slightly) favored over the field this year - with FSU and ARK the most likely to unseat the Sooners.
                            Miami exited the regional with their dignity intact. Good for them.

OU back to being (not so slightly) favored today with nine in the first.

Compelling story of the moment is Alabama/Stanford playing third their consecutive game after shutting each other out in the first two.

Comment

• and the reviews have gone to h3ll just like every other sport. “You can’t take the challenges with you, may as well use ‘em.” That’s the spirit.

Comment

• Interesting weekend results. A tough one for the SEC, good ones for the PAC12 (potentially great if UW wins; maybe already great??), ACC and BIG12...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X