Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gare was always good for a quote, back when media actually covered the team. He's the author of the infamous quip about "rather be stabbed in the streets of Lowell than be a Black Bear" or something to that effect. Now we have a robot coach with robot players going through their robotic motions, to see who can spout the most inane Belichikian adages, with the dystopian climate of academia that penalizes participants for any semblance of individual thought or character.

I'm not sure exactly where it all started, but I suspect it was right around the time that Blue Skies enforced the edict to have the Pep Band drown out the R-rated chants that used to accompany the introductions of the visitors' starting line-up, taking "Black Betty" off the playlist, etc. ad nauseum.

Gare would've likely been kicked off the team/out of school for his Lowell quip if he made it today ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Certainly one of the all time greatest hockey quotes. "I would rather be stabbed on the streets of Lowell than be a Black Bear in Orono."

But closely dissect this for the obvious hate speech that it is and today, and Chuck you are 100% correct, not only does he get kicked off the team, but deported as well. Disparaging the good name of 2 communities, the obvious racist reference to the bear (and why no bear pronoun?), the broad brush fear mongering portrayal of minorities in Lowell, no stated equity agenda or nod to indigenous landowners (remember the former mascot?) AND how much you wanna bet that he didnt have a mask on during the interview? (Shhhhhhhhhhhhh, quiet. Dont let them hear this in the Cafe'.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
        Certainly one of the all time greatest hockey quotes. "I would rather be stabbed on the streets of Lowell than be a Black Bear in Orono."

But closely dissect this for the obvious hate speech that it is and today, and Chuck you are 100% correct, not only does he get kicked off the team, but deported as well. Disparaging the good name of 2 communities, the obvious racist reference to the bear (and why no bear pronoun?), the broad brush fear mongering portrayal of minorities in Lowell, no stated equity agenda or nod to indigenous landowners (remember the former mascot?) AND how much you wanna bet that he didnt have a mask on during the interview? (Shhhhhhhhhhhhh, quiet. Dont let them hear this in the Cafe'.)
        Fantastic deep dive on the "depths" of Gare's statement, Whalers. Upon further review, it appears Lanny has spent most of the last 15 years playing over in Germany, so there's a very real possibility he's already been deported by Fuhrer Trudeau? Can't help but recall this very famous introduction line used to describe Ogie Oglethorpe in the classic movie Slapshot:

This young man has had a very trying rookie season, what with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him...Well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle.

Comment

• Dan, you mentioned in an earlier post about picking up Will Calverley? Too late...he's going to Merrimack.

According to Mike McMahon: Between Calverley, Ottovile Leppanen and Ryan Leibold, Merrimack has committed 3 of the top-9 scorers (last year's totals) in the portal. Also added Tristian Crozier from Brown and Slava Demin (D) from UMass.

Sigh...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Dan, you mentioned in an earlier post about picking up Will Calverley? Too late...he's going to Merrimack.

According to Mike McMahon: Between Calverley, Ottovile Leppanen and Ryan Leibold, Merrimack has committed 3 of the top-9 scorers (last year's totals) in the portal. Also added Tristian Crozier from Brown and Slava Demin (D) from UMass.

Sigh...
            No, that was someone responding to my list with a list of their own...

Who knows how he (and Leibold) makes the jump from AH to HE. Its not as easy as just translating the numbers - even a kid like Matt Barry (who went from Holy Cross to Miami) has only been good-ish, but not great in the scoring department. We'll see, Merrimack had a good season, maybe this group makes it two in a row or maybe its another Scott Borek recruiting pu pu platter...

Demin is the prize for me. He's a great skater and I loved watching him in Denver, but the staff there never seemed to view him as a top-four guy and he's on the move again after a season at UMass. Jandric must have enjoyed his season in North Andover and put in a good word to his former DU teammate.

I'd love to have seen Demin choose UNH, but its clear the two programs are looking for different things. UNH grabbed scholarship defenders DaVita and Babbage each with 3+ years of eligibility remaining (my money is on the Babson transfer getting a shot as a walk on), while MC jumped on five one-and-done graduate transfers. Different strokes, but I'll say one thing for Borek, at least he's aggressive...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

No, that was someone responding to my list with a list of their own...

Who knows how he (and Leibold) makes the jump from AH to HE. Its not as easy as just translating the numbers - even a kid like Matt Barry (who went from Holy Cross to Miami) has only been good-ish, but not great in the scoring department. We'll see, Merrimack had a good season, maybe this group makes it two in a row or maybe its another Scott Borek recruiting pu pu platter...

Demin is the prize for me. He's a great skater and I loved watching him in Denver, but the staff there never seemed to view him as a top-four guy and he's on the move again after a season at UMass. Jandric must have enjoyed his season in North Andover and put in a good word to his former DU teammate.

I'd love to have seen Demin choose UNH, but its clear the two programs are looking for different things. UNH grabbed scholarship defenders DaVita and Babbage each with 3+ years of eligibility remaining (my money is on the Babson transfer getting a shot as a walk on), while MC jumped on five one-and-done graduate transfers. Different strokes, but I'll say one thing for Borek, at least he's aggressive...
              Oh gotcha well sorry bout that! Well every coach has to fill what they see as a need to be the most successful so that's what we have as you point out. Good points made about our picks. I'm thinking we will be ok...
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                There's something to be said for going out aggressively and setting the tone. Borek seems to have settled into a strategy at MC these last couple of seasons, whereas the guy he was passed over for here at UNH really seems to lack any clarity in how he's going about his business. Seems as if Scotty B. wakes up every morning with a purpose as a result, and good for him. Sometimes the greatest motivator can be rejection, and a strong desire to show the rejector(s) they were wrong ...

Comment

Oh gotcha well sorry bout that! Well every coach has to fill what they see as a need to be the most successful so that's what we have as you point out. Good points made about our picks. I'm thinking we will be ok...
                  I'm thinking we will be in last place in HEA in 2022/2023, decent defensively but zero scoring punch.

At least that will ensure there's only the one remaining year left in the MS7 Era.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I'm thinking we will be in last place in HEA in 2022/2023, decent defensively but zero scoring punch.

At least that will ensure there's only the one remaining year left in the MS7 Era.
                    I'm not so sure about that...haven't been, and won't believe it, until I see it. Not the UNH way of doing things. I know, I know...a new AD etc. Still, highly doubtful. Good point about our defensive capabilities; think that's true and can def get behind that thinking.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

This.

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I'm not so sure about that...haven't been, and won't believe it, until I see it. Not the UNH way of doing things. I know, I know...a new AD etc. Still, highly doubtful. Good point about our defensive capabilities; think that's true and can def get behind that thinking.
                        I share your concerns about how coaching decisions at UNH have been taken so far this century, but that guy is headed to upstate NY, so yeah, I have to believe the new AD will make changes. And if he finds out the school doesn't operate that way, I wouldn't come here to work in the first place, with my hands tied to long-term chronic mediocrities running my programs. Unless my first name was Nigel ...

The next couple of years should be interesting, let's leave it at that ... :-)

Comment

I'm not so sure about that...haven't been, and won't believe it, until I see it. Not the UNH way of doing things. I know, I know...a new AD etc. Still, highly doubtful...
                          I'm with you 'Ref. I feel like many here are setting themselves up for disappointment and this thread going up in flames. lol

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Villanova Jay Wright, who won title, retiring
                            https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...Fqo_bigger.jpg
                            Pardon My Take

@PardonMyTake
                            ?
                            12m
                            Jay Wright likely stepping down didn’t need a retirement tour.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

• Looks like Luce pulled his own version of the "Umile Shuffle" with UConn, leveraging BC's "interest".

Heck, at least when Umile got his llfetime deal, he'd already made a couple of trips to the FF, a half-dozen or so NCAA bids, and won almost twice as much as he'd lost. Maybe Umile has been doing some specialized consulting work recently in his spare time???

Comment

• Looks like old pal CDS peed in the B's punchbowl last night, 52 save shutout, now even at 99 points.

Thankfully he didn't taunt #67 with a "nice save, eh?" like his teammate, and start another fracas ...
                                Last edited by Chuck Murray; 04-22-2022, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X