Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    So.Will Margel (18-1-3-4)--------Sr.Harrison Blaisdell-(25-2-6-8)------So.Robert Cronin (30-7-5-12)
    So.Liam Devlin-(34-9-7-16)-----Fr.Stiven Sardarian--(NA)-------------Fr.Kristap Skrastins (NA)
    Fr.Cy Leclerc-(NA)----------------Sr.Chase Stevenson-(33-4-1-5)------Fr.John Evans (NA)
    Fr.Jake Dunlap-(NA)--------------Fr.Morgan Winters-(NA)---------------Jr.Nick Cafarelli (15-3-4-7)
    Jr.Carsen Richels-(13-0-0-0)-----Jr.Cam Gendron-(19-1-1-2)-----------So.Conor Lovett
    So.Connor Sweeney-(22-0-0-0)--Sr.Joe Hankinson (1-0-0-0)

Sr.Kalle Eriksson-(32-0-12-12)----So.Colton Huard (28-6-10-16)
    So.Alex Gagne-(33-1-7-8)---------Jr.Luke Reid 34-3-5-8)
    Fr.Nick Ardanaz-(NA)---------------Fr.Damien Carfagna (NA)
    Jr.Nikolai Jenson-(30-1-5-6)-------Fr.Cade Penney

Fr.Tyler Muszelik----------Sr.David Fessenden------------Jr.Jeremy Forman
    I see Robert Mastrosimone from BU is in portal now, that would have been a nice get. In my opinion UNH jumped the gun in the portal and to pick up a kid that wasn't good enough that he had to play Div3 baffles me. Hopefully i'm proven wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Go to 11:40 on the player for his recollection of the Count Cedorchuk Era and its aftermath, which of course led to the fateful hiring of Coach York.[/URL]
      You mock Count Cedorchuk, but he was far ahead of his time. Today, all the big teams are praised for overpromising and overcommitting. The teams pick the ones they want at year end, and the rest de-commit and go elsewhere (Luke Reid, Max Gildon). Nowadays, being able to count to 18 is less important.

As for the portal, it takes two to tango. Coach Souza is entitled to remake the team as he wants for his swan song ninth season. It will be sad on August 1 when John Sadowski's kid and Shane Eiserman's brother and every other New England kid choses elsewhere, but maybe by next August 1 the New England kids will pay attention to UNH again. But after 8 years of being irrelevant, what's another year? (Although I had the same sense of a clear start when Umile neared his end, but we saw how Umile managed to extend his awfulness to destroy another decade after his end, so who knows)
      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-15-2022, 09:12 AM.
      The Souza record:
      15-16 10th place
      16-17 10th place
      17-18 11th place
      18-19 8th place
      19-20 9th place
      20-21 10th place
      21-22 9th place
      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert Balin View Post

I see Robert Mastrosimone from BU is in portal now, that would have been a nice get. In my opinion UNH jumped the gun in the portal and to pick up a kid that wasn't good enough that he had to play Div3 baffles me. Hopefully i'm proven wrong.
        oh my...that WOULD be a great get. well, you never know what / who is going to come your way. Will be interesting to see where he lands...
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          You mock Count Cedorchuk, but he was far ahead of his time. Today, all the big teams are praised for overpromising and overcommitting. The teams pick the ones they want at year end, and the rest de-commit and go elsewhere (Luke Reid, Max Gildon). Nowadays, being able to count to 18 is less important.
          It's sad, sometimes it can be painful to be a visionary, being so far ahead of the conventional wisdom fostered by those mere mortals of his time. I'm sure BC will be putting up a plaque of his visionary visonariness any year now, probably on "Chuck a Puck" night at Conte, seems fitting ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by teez View Post

39 points in 27 games last year. 9 GWGs as well.
            Got my schools mixed up (Babson vs. Bentley) and now realizing these are D-III stats. Little less excited now, but we'll see.

Comment

• Im not sure how much scholarship money was tied up in Black and DaVita's transfers to UNH - but I wouldn't imagine it would be much, and in the former's case I could see it being zero (or at least very minimal)...

Regardless, I can't see Mastrimone leaving an uncertain situation for another uncertain situation at UNH, and a situation further away from success during his short remaining tenure. Im on the Smilanic or bust train, even thought its a clear pipe dream scenario. Smilanic plus a Pierson return could change a lot for UNH - and those two plus Babbage would be the only good reason to defer Evans/Ardanaz.

Watcher is right, Souza can try to salvage his career as he sees fit, but punting on two young (worst case senario, solid) talents for a DIII forward and a low ceiling Ferris defender is hard to reconcile as an actual strategy.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• Jackson Pierson @JacksonPierson4
                I’m so thankful for the University of New Hampshire and all of the friendships & memories made the last 4 years. Excited to be heading to South Bend next year.

Comment

• Good for him. He greatly exceeded my expectations, and is a fine player. He'll love Notre Dame, which is in his home state, and a second to none education.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

• Good for Jackson...glad he's going to be playing close to home, and for a top notch program. Best wishes!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Arizona State coming to Durham in early December.
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Of the four FF losses during the Umile Era, I always thought that one was the only one where they didn't yak it up in the end. Sure, Conklin's lack of rebound control was an issue, but momentary lapses like that cost all kinds of teams in high pressure situations like that. It's not even close to comparable to the BU goalie who virtually threw the puck into his own net vs. PC.

The '98 no-show to Michigan seems to have gone under the radar in recent years, but that was a hint of what was to follow in the '02 semis collapse to UMaine in St. Paul, and then of course the '03 Finals collapse in the 3rd period that's flashing several of us back after last night's Finals outcome. The '99 team ended up without major hardware (other than the RS title) because of slow starts in the HE Finals (1-4) and in the FF Finals (0-2, almost 0-3), but they deserve credit for not folding up, forcing both of those games to OT before fate got them. At least for me, the '99 thing hurts least. JMHO.
                        Some context often forgotten is that we were without leading scorer Lanny Gare for the semi and final in 2003. We arguably overachieved to get past Cornell in Buffalo, never mind hang with Minnesota for two periods.

2002 was the worst of that era imo, a complete capitulation to a UMaine team we had beaten a few weeks prior for the Hockey East title.
                        Last edited by ClOuD 9; 04-17-2022, 05:09 AM.
                        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                          Some context often forgotten is that we were without leading scorer Garrett Stafford for the semi and final in 2003. We arguably overachieved to get past Cornell in Buffalo, never mind hang with Minnesota for two periods.

2002 was the worst of that era imo, a complete capitulation to a UMaine team we had beaten a few weeks prior for the Hockey East title.
                          Fully agree except Lanny Gare.

https://www.seacoastonline.com/story...r/51279057007/
                          Last edited by Darius; 04-16-2022, 08:13 PM.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                            So I looked Lanny up in hockeydb; he still plays! And whoa...145 total points while at the U? You guys saw some giants, that's for sure, I'm not worthy...(said in Waynes World voice)
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                              Some context often forgotten is that we were without leading scorer Garrett Stafford for the semi and final in 2003. We arguably overachieved to get past Cornell in Buffalo, never mind hang with Minnesota for two periods.

Losing Gare hurt immensely and that was a Cornell team with a great record, but they were so big and slow I would argue otherwise as to UNH and overachievement...

The real forgotten context is that Minny came to the Whitt earlier that year and UNH earned a 5-5 time and a 3-1 win. So the Wildcats were toe-to-toe with (and likely better than) the Gophers over the first eight periods plus and OT...

MN was great - but not a team that was, as history/recollection may suggest, a Goliath out of UNH’s league.

Losing Gare definitely cost UNH some legs in the third when momentum shifted quickly, but I would have been disappointed not to see that team beat Cornell. The top two teams were clear that year and a five minute third period sequence separated the two...

Gare did have two goals and three assists in the series with Minnesota earlier in the year. Game-tying goal on Friday and game-winning strike on Saturday...

FWIW, Gare was a legend on and off the ice!

"That's the way the team is preparing - that I'm not going to be in the lineup," Gare said Wednesday afternoon. "I'm sure you guys all saw Jeter rolling around on the ground. I'm a lot tougher than Jeter, obviously, but it's still sore.
                              Would agree 2002 was the worst - because that team was fantastic and that effort was an utter no show...
                              Last edited by Dan; 04-16-2022, 09:31 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                You're of course correct, time does funny things to the memory
                                "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                                Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                                NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                                EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                                AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                                1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Working...
                                X