Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your patron saint Bazin brought his DIII guy in with him, so it's not so outrageous

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/58939/joe-houk
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      Hankinson's dad is a Minnesota player agent, so was taken as a favor to open our pipeline to the Minnesota market (Richels, Maass) and Tim Stutzle

https://puckpedia.com/agent/ben-hankinson

Remember, in the Souza/Umile world, its not what you do, but who you know. (Connor Sweeney/Joe Sacco, thinking of you too.)
      Would that "pipeline" be the since-cancelled Keystone Pipeline, 'Watcher? ;-) IIRC Maass was already at UNH by the time they brought Hankinson on board, and we know that Stutzle never arrived (and Richels arrived but accomplished less than young Hankinson did).

Couldn't agree with you more about the operating principle in Paisan World ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

So just so I get it you are saying Souza's choice of these two players will circumvent the development of his incoming Freshmen?
        Its not about the kids on the roster, but about who would be here instead - I have no more insight than Watcher, but it seems high upside prospects Evans/Ardanez were asked to defer so UNH could bring in more experience and this is what they came up with?! It makes zero sense.

Just reading the personnel moves, but I suspected that Souza was looking for experience more than long term upside...
        I understand this thought process in theory, but certainly not in the actuality that has played out over the last few weeks. The series of moves we've seen continue to prove to me - and hopefully the new AD - that Souza either just doesn't get it, or doesn't have the chops to execute a vision for UNH hockey. It's one thing if sacrificing Evans/Ardanez paid off in immediate impact transfers (which it clearly hasn't), but I doubt you get much more (if more at all) from the added players than you would have gotten from the freshman THIS SEASON, let alone the future.

Hey, I wish the best for Black - love the story, but I think he's more likely to show exactly why the UNH/DIII Beanpot idea is worthless than he is to score 15 points. Following Evans/Ardanez at RPI versus DaVita/Black at UNH will be interesting this season, let alone down the road...

The best play for Souza keeping his job past this coming season was clear, IMO. Congregate top, young talent - take the lumps you'll likely take either way - but be able to point to the future growth and development of an exciting young talent base that is already contributing. Instead, the strategy he's chosen is likely to be ineffective, and is also entirely self-serving. If UNH is able to make any sort of growth minded AD hire, these decisions absolutely have to seal his fate...
        Last edited by Dan; 04-12-2022, 11:06 AM.
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

• UNH is getting Quinnipiac defenseman Jack Babbage.
          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
          2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
          https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
            UNH is getting Quinnipiac defenseman Jack Babbage.
            Didn't play at all this season. Can you provide more background on this kid, before we turn him into the second coming of Max Gildon? Looks like he'll be 22 by the time he arrives in Durham ... which puts him exactly one year younger than Gildon, who left two seasons ago.

Comment

Your patron saint Bazin brought his DIII guy in with him, so it's not so outrageous

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/58939/joe-houk
              I don't think you're allowed to take St. Norm's name in vain, not even on this thread. ;-)

Babson, 'Watcher. Let that sink in for a moment.

Babson.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Didn't play at all this season. Can you provide more background on this kid, before we turn him into the second coming of Max Gildon? Looks like he'll be 22 by the time he arrives in Durham ... which puts him exactly one year younger than Gildon, who left two seasons ago.
                https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...oogle_vignette

Probably the best of the three new transfers - outscored Huard on the 2020-21 Chicago Steel.

I'd play the following defensive line-up (however they end up paired) and feel pretty good about the group of six as a whole. Whether that translates with a FR goalie and a limited forward group remains to be seen and UNH remains in the bottom three of HE as far as my pre-season predictions go until some money is spread around to forwards who can score (young or old, but with a proven track record)...

Eriksson - Reid
                Gagne - Huard
                Carfagna - Babbage
                --
                DaVita - Jensen
                Fitzgerald - Penney

Its not a bad group of puck movers to be fair...
                Last edited by Dan; 04-12-2022, 01:05 PM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

He’s the one freshman defenseman I wished they played over a few of the grad transfers they had.
                  QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
                  2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
                  2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
                  2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
                  https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog
                  https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
                  https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

• Convince Pierson to return and add Calder & Smilanic and I could be convinced that older/experienced players is the way to go, until then UNH is operating a plan without execution...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Eriksson - Reid
                      Gagne - Huard
                      Carfagna - Babbage
                      --
                      DaVita - Jensen
                      Fitzgerald - Penney

Its not a bad group of puck movers to be fair...
                      Not a lot of room right now. I could easily see someone on the top and on the bottom be encouraged to move on.

Edit: interesting that Michigan State fires Cole after 5 years, BU fires O'Connell after 4 years. Souza really was born under the lucky star that the new AD won't take power until after the summer, so will have to give everyone a free year.

Also nice to see the Chicago Steel defense and Babbage's roommate Liam Devlin getting readied for Ryan Hardy's return.

Best of luck in Omaha devo, Thanks for being the best roommate and brother a guy could ask for #507

Forward Liam Devlin has been acquired by the Omaha Lancers. Thank you to Liam for his contributions to the 2019-2020 Anderson Cup Champions and best of luck in the future!
                      Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-12-2022, 03:02 PM.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Lots of great thoughts and observations. Still a bit stunned! Really thought that we needed a first line center as the first real need. Could this be a behind the curtain, put your feet in the water Jackson and if you need to, we would welcome you back. Can’t believe he is still out there.
                        My next thought was that MS was stockpiling defensemen in an effort to trade for a first round draft pick!? (Ha) I do think we have some good underclass men forwards but really need a big time goal scorer.
                        and for Ref, I agree with your awarding of the C and As.

Comment

• Version 8. Update for Babbage in, Babbage out.

So.Will Margel (18-1-3-4)--------Sr.Chase Stevenson-(33-4-1-5)-----So.Robert Cronin (30-7-5-12)
                          So.Liam Devlin-(34-9-7-16)-----Sr.Harrison Blaisdell-(25-2-6-8)-----Jr.Nick Cafarelli (15-3-4-7)
                          Fr.Cy Leclerc-(NA)---------------------Fr.Stiven Sardarian-(NA)-------Pg.Ryan Black
                          Fr.Jake Dunlap-(NA)--------------Fr.Morgan Winters-(NA)-------------Fr.Kristap Skrastins (NA)
                          Fr.[Turner??]]/transfer------------Jr.Cam Gendron-(19-1-1-2)--------So.Conor Lovett
                          So.Connor Sweeney-(22-0-0-0)--Sr.Joe Hankinson (1-0-0-0)-------Fr./Transfer

Sr.Kalle Eriksson-(32-0-12-12)----So.Colton Huard (28-6-10-16)
                          So.Alex Gagne-(33-1-7-8)---------Jr.Luke Reid (34-3-5-8)
                          Fr.Damien Carfagna (NA)----------Jr.Nikolai Jenson-(30-1-5-6)
                          Fr.Brendan Fitzgerald-(NA)--------So.Nico DeVita (29-1-2-3)
                          So.Jack Babbage ------------------[Fr.Cade Penney (NA)]

Fr.Tyler Muszelik----------Sr.David Fessenden------------Jr.Jeremy Forman
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Edit: interesting that Michigan State fires Cole after 5 years, BU fires O'Connell after 4 years. Souza really was born under the lucky star that the new AD won't take power until after the summer, so will have to give everyone a free year.
                            If MSU is series about competing in the BIG - which I assume they are - this job should be considered a serious threat to UNH's chances of landing Jeff Blashill in a year's time...

Strange timing to see Cole let go so long after Sparty's season ended, you'd almost think there was some communication with a favored candidate. Though there is some speculation it could be Adam Nightingale, which I think would carry significant risk for MSU.

Hiring the popular, nice guy alum with limited experience? What could possibly go wrong...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Respectfully disagree. If I was Dean Dean, the first question I'd be asking AD candidates would be whether they could pull the trigger on any current in situ head coaches, and if so, who might they be?

An AD candidate who'd truly done their homework shouldn't have any hesitation to put the MHHC at the top of that list; an AD candidate who refused to pick at least one or two on such a list, I'm not interested in the "paralysis by analysis" route at this point in UNH Athletics history, so hard pass, bring on the next candidate. The last thing UNH needs is another Blue Skies lifer in charge ...

Comment

• Originally posted by dan View Post
                                hiring the popular, nice guy alum with limited experience? What could possibly go wrong...
                                LOL ... as Alice Cooper once said, welcome to our nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                                X