Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Hey all, took the liberty to start the annual off season thread...have at it!
    I'm just here for the hockey...

So.Will Margel (18-1-3-4)--------Sr.Harrison Blaisdell-(25-2-6-8)------So.Robert Cronin (30-7-5-12)
    So.Liam Devlin-(34-9-7-16)-----Fr.Stiven Sardarian--(NA)-------------Fr.Kristap Skrastins (NA)
    Fr.Cy Leclerc-(NA)----------------Sr.Chase Stevenson-(33-4-1-5)------Fr.John Evans (NA)
    Fr.Jake Dunlap-(NA)--------------Fr.Morgan Winters-(NA)---------------Jr.Nick Cafarelli (15-3-4-7)
    Jr.Carsen Richels-(13-0-0-0)-----Jr.Cam Gendron-(19-1-1-2)-----------So.Conor Lovett
    So.Connor Sweeney-(22-0-0-0)--Sr.Joe Hankinson (1-0-0-0)

Sr.Kalle Eriksson-(32-0-12-12)----So.Colton Huard (28-6-10-16)
    So.Alex Gagne-(33-1-7-8)---------Jr.Luke Reid 34-3-5-8)
    Fr.Nick Ardanaz-(NA)---------------Fr.Damien Carfagna (NA)
    Jr.Nikolai Jenson-(30-1-5-6)-------Fr.Cade Penney

Fr.Tyler Muszelik----------Sr.David Fessenden------------Jr.Jeremy Forman
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      So.Will Margel (18-1-3-4)--------Sr.Harrison Blaisdell-(25-2-6-8)------So.Robert Cronin (30-7-5-12)
      So.Liam Devlin-(34-9-7-16)-----Fr.Stiven Sardarian--(NA)-------------Fr.Kristap Skrastins (NA)
      Fr.Cy Leclerc-(NA)----------------Sr.Chase Stevenson-(33-4-1-5)------Fr.John Evans (NA)
      Fr.Jake Dunlap-(NA)--------------Fr.Morgan Winters-(NA)---------------Jr.Nick Cafarelli (15-3-4-7)
      Jr.Carsen Richels-(13-0-0-0)-----Jr.Cam Gendron-(19-1-1-2)-----------So.Conor Lovett

What about Lucas Hermann? Am I missing something?
      Respect, empathy, understanding, forgiveness, kindness, appreciation, tolerance, equity, accessibility, diversity, inclusion, growth mindset, critical thinking, objectivity, collaborative proactive solutions, curiosity, wonder.....

Comment

In the transfer portal, soI am assuming he'll not be back.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

In the transfer portal, soI am assuming he'll not be back.
          Just wondering if there's a place that lists those going into the transfer portal? I couldn't find one set up for this year.
          Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
          2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
          2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
          2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...xxI/edit#gid=0
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

Looks like Eric Esposito and Alec Semandel are seeking alternative spots as well for next season...not that they would hang around UNH for a 5th year?

Comment

Just a few points….

1. Darius was spot on in the other thread. Fixing the cooling system is a “time is of the essence” project. Tight timeframes to get ‘er done.
                2. Norbert was spot-on as well. The two need to go hand-in-hand to maximize the economies of scope and minimize the investment to complete the project. Current hope is to complete the project by 9/1.
                3. The decision to move to 90 (vs. 85) had nothing to do with sight lines, and everything to do with long-term trends as evidenced by a general move towards a 90-foot surface or the “hybridized” models (think 92.5) being considered worldwide. As one poster mentioned, Agganis built to 90, NU shrunk to 90, and I’ll add that Mariucci is either going to 92.5 or has already done so. Apparently, the IIHF is considering 90 or hybridized sheets, and there are even some in the NHL who’d like to see the sheet grow to meet to game (I think Brian Burke was trying to lead the charge there. Won’t happen anytime soon given the revenue hit, methinks).
                4. Changing the bowl would double the price tag. Given the cost of the potential guts renovation, money is probably better directed toward that in order to help turn this program around.
                5. I know that they are going to work with any STH who feels their experience is impacted by the 5’ change to get to an agreeable solution. It’s not lost that this will change the experience.

That’s what I know and can share.
                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Thanks for this!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Sean when you get a minute do share your insights
                    Here are my thoughts/observations about the report:

The report is brutal in its description of the existing refrigeration plant and further notes the HVAC system’s airflow in the rink appears to be an issue. It reflect poorly on those who originally signed off on both systems. The report also notes that Olympic size ice sheets are not normal for college hockey, but here I give UNH a pass, as when the Whitt was designed and built the NCAA rules (from at least 1987 through 2004) called for 200' x 100' rinks.

In 2010 BU replaced the slab at Walter Brown Arena, upgraded the refrigeration plant, the HVAC system and installed A/C. I stopped by one day when the old slab was removed and the new slab wasn’t yet poured. It was something to see dirt/sand instead of concrete where the rink should be. I think the best option for UNH would be to replace the existing slab at the current elevation and then redo the stands to create optimal site lines.

The seating sight lines I find quite interesting, as I measured the Whitt’s riser depth and height to compare with Agganis when it opened. Agganis and the Whitt have the same riser depth, 33”, but Agganis goes up 18?” each row, while the Whitt goes up just 15” (I measured 14?”) each row. I much prefer the elevation and sight lines I have at Agganis to most other Hockey East rinks because of the higher rise between rows. The optimal sight lines shown in the report would have a 21” rise between rows, even more than Agganis’ 18?”. As I like the elevation and sight lines at Agganis I am for this change.

Agganis allows full size trucks and busses directly into the arena, so I’m a bit surprised the Whitt doesn’t. It makes a lot of sense to allow trucks and busses direct access into the building so I’m not sure why it wasn’t originally built to allow it.

Agganis has wasted space as well, but it was/is planned to be the women’s locker room and the athletic offices someday. BU built out the visitor side with a large visitor locker room, as well as additional locker rooms at the end so that you can currently have four teams in the building. It looks like the Whitt could handle four teams, but adding a visitor locker room on the visitor side does make sense.

The cost seems very reasonable at about $9 million for all the renovations. Then again, I'm basing that against the cost of Agganis, the new ASU multipurpose arena and the new SHU multipurpose arena.

Sean

Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                      The report is brutal in its description of the existing refrigeration plant and further notes the HVAC system's airflow in the rink appears to be an issue. It reflect poorly on those who originally signed off on both systems. The report also notes that Olympic size ice sheets are not normal for college hockey, but here I give UNH a pass, as when the Whitt was designed and built the NCAA rules (from at least 1987 through 2004) called for 200' x 100' rinks.

The seating sight lines I find quite interesting, as I measured the Whitt's riser depth and height to compare with Agganis when it opened. Agganis and the Whitt have the same riser depth, 33”, but Agganis goes up 18?” each row, while the Whitt goes up just 15” (I measured 14?”) each row. I much prefer the elevation and sight lines I have at Agganis to most other Hockey East rinks because of the higher rise between rows. The optimal sight lines shown in the report would have a 21” rise between rows, even more than Agganis’ 18?”. As I like the elevation and sight lines at Agganis I am for this change.

Sean
                      Best feature of Agganis by far is the vertical height of the seating bowl. I thought I remembered reading somewhere when it was under construction that Jack Parker wanted the effect to be that of the original Boston Garden (higher/narrower) than the new building (wider/shallower?). If that's what they were going for, they nailed it. Best "new" building in HEA by a longshot.

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post

The report is brutal in its description of the existing refrigeration plant and further notes the HVAC system’s airflow in the rink appears to be an issue. It reflect poorly on those who originally signed off on both systems. The report also notes that Olympic size ice sheets are not normal for college hockey, but here I give UNH a pass, as when the Whitt was designed and built the NCAA rules (from at least 1987 through 2004) called for 200' x 100' rinks.

In 2010 BU replaced the slab at Walter Brown Arena, upgraded the refrigeration plant, the HVAC system and installed A/C. I stopped by one day when the old slab was removed and the new slab wasn’t yet poured. It was something to see dirt/sand instead of concrete where the rink should be. I think the best option for UNH would be to replace the existing slab at the current elevation and then redo the stands to create optimal site lines.

The seating sight lines I find quite interesting, as I measured the Whitt’s riser depth and height to compare with Agganis when it opened. Agganis and the Whitt have the same riser depth, 33”, but Agganis goes up 18?” each row, while the Whitt goes up just 15” (I measured 14?”) each row. I much prefer the elevation and sight lines I have at Agganis to most other Hockey East rinks because of the higher rise between rows. The optimal sight lines shown in the report would have a 21” rise between rows, even more than Agganis’ 18?”. As I like the elevation and sight lines at Agganis I am for this change.

Agganis allows full size trucks and busses directly into the arena, so I’m a bit surprised the Whitt doesn’t. It makes a lot of sense to allow trucks and busses direct access into the building so I’m not sure why it wasn’t originally built to allow it.

Agganis has wasted space as well, but it was/is planned to be the women’s locker room and the athletic offices someday. BU built out the visitor side with a large visitor locker room, as well as additional locker rooms at the end so that you can currently have four teams in the building. It looks like the Whitt could handle four teams, but adding a visitor locker room on the visitor side does make sense.

The cost seems very reasonable at about $9 million for all the renovations. Then again, I'm basing that against the cost of Agganis, the new ASU multipurpose arena and the new SHU multipurpose arena.

Sean

Sean - appreciate the input and comparisons. Couple points of clarification…

1. The estimates you see in this report (for the ice replacement and rink shrink) have gone up materially since this report was put out, when all-in costs are considered. Additionally, the revisions to the bowl have gone up accordingly but still represent about a doubling of the cost if to be done in conjunction with the first part.
                        2. The “wasted space” component of this report is no longer relevant as it has been subsumed by the aspirational scope of the “guts” project.

I certainly hold out hope that after priority 1 (ice and rink) and priority 2 (guts) are “in the can”, they can get busy with the bowl!

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                          Just a few points….

1. Darius was spot on in the other thread. Fixing the cooling system is a “time is of the essence” project. Tight timeframes to get ‘er done.
                          2. Norbert was spot-on as well. The two need to go hand-in-hand to maximize the economies of scope and minimize the investment to complete the project. Current hope is to complete the project by 9/1.
                          3. The decision to move to 90 (vs. 85) had nothing to do with sight lines, and everything to do with long-term trends as evidenced by a general move towards a 90-foot surface or the “hybridized” models (think 92.5) being considered worldwide. As one poster mentioned, Agganis built to 90, NU shrunk to 90, and I’ll add that Mariucci is either going to 92.5 or has already done so. Apparently, the IIHF is considering 90 or hybridized sheets, and there are even some in the NHL who’d like to see the sheet grow to meet to game (I think Brian Burke was trying to lead the charge there. Won’t happen anytime soon given the revenue hit, methinks).
                          4. Changing the bowl would double the price tag. Given the cost of the potential guts renovation, money is probably better directed toward that in order to help turn this program around.
                          5. I know that they are going to work with any STH who feels their experience is impacted by the 5’ change to get to an agreeable solution. It’s not lost that this will change the experience.

That’s what I know and can share.
                          What can you share as far as the projected timeframe for the new AD hire, 'dc?
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

What can you share as far as the projected timeframe for the new AD hire, 'dc?
                            Dancing carefully here - not nearly as fast as you’d like. Will be a short transition. That’s best I can do for now.

Comment

At first glance...

Is it me or does this roster look...young? Also abit crowded...no room for any portal players with experience (if that's even out there) Not to take away from these players and our freshmen this season got lots of experience.

Have been following with great interest incoming forwards...can they develop fast enough to bring in much needed offense?

Most interesting to me at least will be the goal tending...excited for Muszelik does he beat out Fess for top tender??? From what we saw of Fess albeit limited thought he did a good job but of course you need lights out most nights. Should be interesting between the two of them.

Alot can happen between now and October!

Comment

Working...
                              X