Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Laleggia and Vecchione decommitted early after being deferred. Evans and Ardanaz doing so late in the season suggests something else more recent occurred wrt UNH.
    The Umile legacy:
    14-15 8th place,
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Dan View Post

      UNH lost Mike Vecchione by deferring him an extra year in the USHL. When he went on to flourish at Union, the coaching staff began employing the tactic of signing prospects and THEN deferring them. Under old NLI rules, that would essentially lock a player into Durham - the NLI was enforceable the next season, should UNH choose to offer the previously agreed upon scholarship amount.

      I'm not sure what UNH would gain by fighting a player's attempt to break an NLI - but its moot now anyway, without a transfer penalty on the books. UNH could threaten to hold Evans to his NLI, but he would simply 'transfer' to his preferred destination with no penalty of sitting.

      I argued UNH should go all in on youth last year and play for the future - An inexperienced roster could hardly do worse I posited. UNH seemed to think going older would make them more competitive than a ninth place finisher.

      Whether any of this eventually facilitates a change in strategy (or staff) remains to be seen, but I expect Ill believe (any of) it when I see it...
      Thanks for the insight on this Dan...with the new rules out there anything is possible I guess? You are probably right; there's something going on...maybe UNH is hoping to get portal guys like the bball team is. Like you said...you'll believe it when you see it. I'm doubting any real change comes in the next year, or, two. Welp guess we will find out!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Laleggia and Vecchione decommitted early after being deferred. Evans and Ardanaz doing so late in the season suggests something else more recent occurred wrt UNH.
        Maybe they don't like shrinkage.
        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

        Comment


        • #64
          Version 4. Carsen Richels in portal.
          So.Will Margel (18-1-3-4)--------[[Pierson????]]]/transfer------------So.Robert Cronin (30-7-5-12)
          So.Liam Devlin-(34-9-7-16)-----Sr.Harrison Blaisdell-(25-2-6-8)-----Fr.Stiven Sardarian-(NA)
          Fr.Cy Leclerc-(NA)----------------Sr.Chase Stevenson-(33-4-1-5)-----Jr.Nick Cafarelli (15-3-4-7)
          Fr.Jake Dunlap-(NA)--------------Fr.Morgan Winters-(NA)-------------Fr.Kristap Skrastins (NA)
          Fr.[Turner??]]/transfer------------Jr.Cam Gendron-(19-1-1-2)--------So.Conor Lovett
          So.Connor Sweeney-(22-0-0-0)--Sr.Joe Hankinson (1-0-0-0)-------Fr./Transfer


          Sr.Kalle Eriksson-(32-0-12-12)----So.Colton Huard (28-6-10-16)
          So.Alex Gagne-(33-1-7-8)---------Jr.Luke Reid (34-3-5-8)
          Fr.Damien Carfagna (NA)----------Jr.Nikolai Jenson-(30-1-5-6)
          transfer/[[Fr.Brendan Fitzgerald]]-------Fr.Cade Penney (NA)

          Fr.Tyler Muszelik----------Sr.David Fessenden------------Jr.Jeremy Forman
          Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-22-2022, 03:52 PM.
          The Umile legacy:
          14-15 8th place,
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place

          Comment


          • #65
            Per Heisenburg Fitzgerald will be coming next year instead of 2023. His line is 45gp 2goals 19 assists. It will be strange to see a Fitzgerald playing for UNH considering his brothers and cousins all played for BC. That usually means he's the weaker player in the bunch..lol.
            Last edited by Robert Balin; 03-22-2022, 08:58 AM.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by Robert Balin View Post
              Per Heisenburg Fitzgerald will be coming next year instead of 2023. His line is 45gp 2goals 19 assists. It will be strange to see a Fitzgerald playing for UNH considering his brothers and cousins all played for BC. That usually means he's the weaker player in the bunch..lol.
              Aw come on...with this lineage? Hockey's in their blood! Cousins: Jimmy Hayes, Kevin Hayes, Keith Tkachuk, Matthew Tkachuk, Brady Tkachuk

              We'll take him with open arms and a smaller rink...lol
              Here we go 'Cats!!

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Robert Balin View Post
                Per Heisenburg Fitzgerald will be coming next year instead of 2023. His line is 45gp 2goals 19 assists. It will be strange to see a Fitzgerald playing for UNH considering his brothers and cousins all played for BC. That usually means he's the weaker player in the bunch..lol.
                I think we can refer to this phenomena as the "Mark Kolanos Effect" ;-)

                To think, only a generation ago, a stud talent like Todd Hall fled The Heights to get to UNH ...
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  To think, only a generation ago, a stud talent like Todd Hall fled The Heights to get to UNH ...
                  And did it without the vaunted "portal"
                  UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

                    maybe UNH is hoping to get portal guys like the bball team is.
                    To paraphrase Dan UNH basketball is not the program to envy, nor is it the bar by which UNH hockey should judge itself.
                    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Felger View Post

                      To paraphrase Dan UNH basketball is not the program to envy, nor is it the bar by which UNH hockey should judge itself.
                      Was using it as an example...I'd rather NOT see us rely on the portal for players! But many teams are...so there's that. And, I absolutely do not think UNH Hockey should emulate UNH Basketball.

                      In other news Mike Robinson signed with the Reading Royals with a SPC contract (no idea what SPC means...)
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

                        Was using it as an example...I'd rather NOT see us rely on the portal for players! But many teams are...so there's that. And, I absolutely do not think UNH Hockey should emulate UNH Basketball.

                        In other news Mike Robinson signed with the Reading Royals with a SPC contract (no idea what SPC means...)

                        standard player contract
                        Let's Go Pirates!

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          In other news Mike Robinson signed with the Reading Royals with a SPC contract (no idea what SPC means...)
                          I believe Reading is a primary 'Coast affiliate for the Flyers. The SPC for a player of Robinson's age in the 'Coast is two years. IIRC Robinson was a Sharks' draft pick, and I believe they would hold his draft rights for 30 days after he leaves school, so I'm not sure if San Jose signed him couldn't find room for him in their system, OR if they waived their draft rights and he signed directly with Reading? Guessing the latter, but would welcome any clarification.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

                            I believe Reading is a primary 'Coast affiliate for the Flyers. The SPC for a player of Robinson's age in the 'Coast is two years. IIRC Robinson was a Sharks' draft pick, and I believe they would hold his draft rights for 30 days after he leaves school, so I'm not sure if San Jose signed him couldn't find room for him in their system, OR if they waived their draft rights and he signed directly with Reading? Guessing the latter, but would welcome any clarification.
                            Have been poking around some and see he's still listed as a prospect at EliteProspects but don't know how updated that is. Also saw on a San Jose site "unsigned". Glad he's skating tho, and hope for good things for him!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Carson Richels in the portal...
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Happy for Benton Maass...playing for a winning team. Hope they make it to the Frozen 4!!

                                EDIT: 3 -2 after 2...spoke too soon?!?!
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-24-2022, 12:43 PM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X