Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Men's Hockey 2022 Off Season Thread- Goodbye Lake Whitt!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    An AD candidate who'd truly done their homework shouldn't have any hesitation to put the MHHC at the top of that list; an AD candidate who refused to pick at least one or two on such a list, I'm not interested in the "paralysis by analysis" route at this point in UNH Athletics history, so hard pass, bring on the next candidate. The last thing UNH needs is another Blue Skies lifer in charge ...
    Removing is the easy thing. Hiring a right guy is the bigger challenge for the new boss, and not one that can be rushed. Especially now where in the past 2 years Keefe, Barr, Mayotte and Cashman were hired, and now we're behind BU/BC/Michigan State/Union in hiring someone new.
    Basically getting the last pick in the cycle. Might as well sit this out, let Mike play out the string, and be the only game in town next off season.

    Edit: Nice to see a secure person able to retire quietly without needing an adulation tour.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-13-2022, 03:04 PM.
    The Umile legacy:
    14-15 8th place,
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place

    Comment


    • Just came here to say the same thing - at this point UNH would struggle to get their man late in the spring and in a crowded field. I can wait one more year, but I hope thats all I have to wait!
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

      Comment


      • Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Nice to see a secure person able to retire quietly without needing an adulation tour.
        https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/04/...es-retirement/

        "He learned from former UNH coach Dick Umile it will be best if he stays away from the program next year to let the new coach develop a routine."
        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

        Comment


        • Same routine, show up, make no changes and enjoy a long unmotivating season leaving STH with continued frustration.

          But I did “win” a trip by sending a text during a promo. Let’s just say I’m never answering that call again

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Felger View Post

            https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/04/...es-retirement/

            "He learned from former UNH coach Dick Umile it will be best if he stays away from the program next year to let the new coach develop a routine."
            lol It’s no secret how much contact Souza had ( and continues to have) with Umile…he said he called him quite regularly in pressers…when we had access to those that is.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

            Comment


            • I'm surprised there isn't a big push to bring in Ayers as a potential coach. I'm hopeful BC can hold onto him as an assistant when they make a hire which looks like it'll be Cavanaugh from UConn. That said, they've never coached together before and I could see Ayers being upset he was passed over for the job. If I was a UNH fan, I'd be clamoring for him though, he's a monster recruiter

              Comment


              • OK, I had assumed Brown would get the BC gig, but if its going to Luce Canon, I'd go after Brown. (Of course, U.Conn and BU would probably try for him for their openings, and as said, UNH has no AD to make the decision until June, which is too late)
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 04-14-2022, 06:52 AM.
                The Umile legacy:
                14-15 8th place,
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place

                Comment


                • Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                  I'm surprised there isn't a big push to bring in Ayers as a potential coach. I'm hopeful BC can hold onto him as an assistant when they make a hire which looks like it'll be Cavanaugh from UConn. That said, they've never coached together before and I could see Ayers being upset he was passed over for the job. If I was a UNH fan, I'd be clamoring for him though, he's a monster recruiter
                  No offense to Mike Ayers but am thinking at least the UNH fans on this board are thinking that its time to move past a UNH alum etc? Personally I'd be ok with that choice and really shouldn't speak for others that's just my feeling about it. I kind of wonder outloud if he (Ayers) was in the mix that last time around as a potential candidate as the 3 year plan was being formulated just FWIW dept.

                  How interesting this is all turning out to be; 2 big name HE schools seeking a coach, new AD coming into UNH...wild times!

                  Here we go 'Cats!!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

                    Removing is the easy thing. Hiring a right guy is the bigger challenge for the new boss, and not one that can be rushed. Especially now where in the past 2 years Keefe, Barr, Mayotte and Cashman were hired, and now we're behind BU/BC/Michigan State/Union in hiring someone new.
                    Basically getting the last pick in the cycle. Might as well sit this out, let Mike play out the string, and be the only game in town next off season.

                    Edit: Nice to see a secure person able to retire quietly without needing an adulation tour.
                    You also have Pearson’s contract expiring April 30 with no extension yet and an ongoing investigation which should have report out about same time. Michigan is one program who could pay anyone handsomely and payoff any buyout so it could be a chain reaction if they do move.
                    Let's Go Pirates!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by cavbim View Post
                      Michigan is one program who could pay anyone handsomely and payoff any buyout so it could be a chain reaction if they do move.
                      Good point. At some point someone (UConn) may come for Souza?

                      The Umile legacy:
                      14-15 8th place,
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by cavbim View Post

                        You also have Pearson’s contract expiring April 30 with no extension yet and an ongoing investigation which should have report out about same time. Michigan is one program who could pay anyone handsomely and payoff any buyout so it could be a chain reaction if they do move.
                        Just curious how you know this info about his contract? I'm sure it's public knowledge etc but none of us here seem to have any idea about where our coach currently stands....I mean, one can speculate etc...?

                        Here we go 'Cats!!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

                          Just curious how you know this info about his contract? I'm sure it's public knowledge etc but none of us here seem to have any idea about where our coach currently stands....I mean, one can speculate etc...?
                          if you hear something google to see if the smoke is possibly a fire

                          https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...am/9302252002/
                          Let's Go Pirates!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            OK, I had assumed Brown would get the BC gig, but if its going to Luce Canon, I'd go after Brown. (Of course, U.Conn and BU would probably try for him for their openings, and as said, UNH has no AD to make the decision until June, which is too late)
                            Dearest Lord God in Heaven,

                            Please make this true. I know I've been an imperfect being here on Earth, and can focus too often on silly and trite things instead of following Your word and Your light as an example to others of Your divine providence. I've tried my best to be a better person in recent years, following Your path, and have even managed to be sincerely complimentary to those who've previously been enemies (see, more trite verbiage, oops sorry) regarding the man who has just now stepped down from The Heights (oops, I mean BC Hockey - only You are the true Heights of the Heights). Being a mere mortal, however, I am still prone to sin, and to wishing that other sinners who sin worse than me (no names, but I think You know of whom I speak) get their just desserts. You know best of all that Luce Canaan and BC Hockey deserve each other, so finally Brother Luce can show the rest of the world he wasn't just spouting ragtime when he would tell naive young hockey prospects how he was the real brains behind the outfit at BC Hockey, and how the recent retiree hadn't won the whole enchilada since he left for Storrs.

                            Yes, Lord, I am fully aware our near octogenarian retiring brother also won the whole enchilada at Bowling Green before that, but just to make one final base request before I "up my game" and rise above petty pettiness, please make this true. Yours is the kingdom, the power and the glory.

                            Merci beacoup, Mon Dieu.

                            (signed) Chuck Murray
                            Self-appointed WIS President for Life (on Earth anyway, Your Lordship)
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              Good point. At some point someone (UConn) may come for Souza?
                              P.S. to Mon Dieu - this would be an added bonus, if you can find it in Your heart to make it happen.

                              I do not wish to be gluttonous, but if this falls within Your plan, don't let me stop You.

                              (signed) Chuck Murray
                              Self-appointed WIS President-for-Life (behind You of course)
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

                                P.S. to Mon Dieu - this would be an added bonus, if you can find it in Your heart to make it happen.

                                I do not wish to be gluttonous, but if this falls within Your plan, don't let me stop You.

                                (signed) Chuck Murray
                                Self-appointed WIS President-for-Life (behind You of course)
                                isn’t it UNH’s modus operandi that if your coach leverages a large state school head coaching job you give them a lifetime contract with a huge raise
                                Let's Go Pirates!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X