RPI 2022 Off-season: Surely, We Deserve Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

Always good to see the coach with players from our past. Especially the ones who won a national championship.
    Why isn't there a flag with Puppa's name on it in the rafters at HFH?
    I am not positive, but I think that one requirement for a player being on the Ring of Honor is graduating from RPI. IIRC Puppa eventually received a degree from Denver. I add that Oates did eventually receive an RPI degree.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-30-2022, 12:05 PM.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

I am not positive, but I think that one requirement for a player being on the Ring of Honor is graduating from RPI. IIRC Puppa eventually received a degree from Denver. I add that Oates did eventually receive an RPI degree.
      I am not 100% positive either. However, believe graduation is required for the school's athletic Hall of Fame but not for the Fieldhouse Ring of Honor. Carter has a banner in the Fieldhouse despite never graduating, at least according to what most people believe to be the case.

Most likely reason for Puppa being omitted is only playing here for two years.

Comment

• Today is 1 May 2022. There are 153 days (5 months) until RPI's next game. There are 61 days (2 months) until RPI has a new president.

This is based upon 1 October 2022 for the start of next season and 1 July 2022 for the end of @#$%^.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by tony/troy View Post

I am not 100% positive either. However, believe graduation is required for the school's athletic Hall of Fame but not for the Fieldhouse Ring of Honor. Carter has a banner in the Fieldhouse despite never graduating, at least according to what most people believe to be the case.

I forgot about Carter. So I am probably wrong about needing to graduate from RPI.
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-01-2022, 01:07 PM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by tony/troy View Post

While he only played at RPI for two years, how many other RPI goalies won a national championship and played 15 years in the NHL?
            I think that he should qualify on those stats. JMO
            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
            Benjamin Franklin
            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
            Gary Player

Comment

• There is, of course, one RPI goalie other than Puppa who won a national championship. That was Bobby Fox in 1954.

I don't know where to find a complete listing of those who are in the Ring of Honor, so I don't know if Fox is in the Ring of Honor or not. I do know that he is the only RPI goalie to have won a national championship and been elected Grand Marshal.

Comment

• Today is 2 May 2022. There are 152 days until RPI's next game. There are 60 days until RPI has a new president.

This is based upon 1 October 2022 for the start of next season and 1 July 2022 for the end of @#$%^.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                  There is, of course, one RPI goalie other than Puppa who won a national championship. That was Bobby Fox in 1954.

I don't know where to find a complete listing of those who are in the Ring of Honor, so I don't know if Fox is in the Ring of Honor or not. I do know that he is the only RPI goalie to have won a national championship and been elected Grand Marshal.
                  He's not. I am pretty sure that Frank Chiarelli is the only member of that team to be on the RoH.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

He's not. I am pretty sure that Frank Chiarelli is the only member of that team to be on the RoH.
                    You’re correct, Ralph.
                    The other people on the Ring of Honor are: Adam Oates, John Carter, Joe Juneau, Bob Brinkworth, Jerry Knightley, player/coach Garry Kearns and coach Ned Harkness.

Comment

• Another transfer from WMU https://***********/alexaslanidis35/...zK-HnLEvfnUZrQ

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                        That fills our third goalie spot.
                        https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...alex-aslanidis One game for the USNTDP 18U team
                        He didn't play at all last season although he did in 20-21 like Strom.
                        He was rated 3.50 by Neutral Zone.
                        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 05-03-2022, 12:55 AM.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Today is 3 May 2022. There are 151 days until RPI's next game. There are 59 days until RPI has a new president.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

That fills our third goalie spot.
                            https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...alex-aslanidis One game for the USNTDP 18U team
                            He didn't play at all last season although he did in 20-21 like Strom.
                            He was rated 3.50 by Neutral Zone.
                            Marshall and Watson have solid size for goal, but this guy is huge. Is it just a coincidence that Coach Smith just visited with one of the most successful tall goalies in RPI history at the same time that he was getting a commitment of one even taller? Aslanidis history reads like a highly regarded prospect that hasn't quite developed as expected. If he becomes a breakout player that would be great for us, but it's also a relatively low-risk bet since Watson showed that he has #1 goaltender skills. He'll compete with Miller for #2 minutes and we'll see where he can take it from there.

Defense looks relatively set with three good prospects (Smolinski, Ardanaz and Strom) joining Hallbauer, Klee, Sertti, Agnew and Davies. Eight used to be the normal number but Smith likes to use a defenseman as the extra skater so I think we'll add another, possibly from the portal to try and balance classes (to the extent that's even possible any more).

Up front we seem to have some interesting talent (new and returning) on the wings, but I'm really concerned down the middle. I still wonder why Dubinsky passed on a chance to be the undisputed #1 center. I think Beaton will continue improving and establish himself as a first or second line center. Similarly Herrman seems to a good fit as a 3rd or 4th line center. The other two slots are a big question mark.

P.S. I just noticed that Linden has played several games in the AHL with good results. Congratulations to him. This reinforces that he was a quality goaltender. He was a real team player and handled the shift to potentially even better players like Savory and Watson with class.
                            Last edited by rpi82; 05-03-2022, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

Marshall and Watson have solid size for goal, but this guy is huge. Is it just a coincidence that Coach Smith just visited with one of the most successful tall goalies in RPI history at the same time that he was getting a commitment of one even taller? Aslanidis history reads like a highly regarded prospect that hasn't quite developed as expected. If he becomes a breakout player that would be great for us, but it's also a relatively low-risk bet since Watson showed that he has #1 goaltender skills. He'll compete with Miller for #2 minutes and we'll see where he can take it from there.

Defense looks relatively set with three good prospects (Smolinski, Ardanaz and Strom) joining Hallbauer, Klee, Sertti, Agnew and Davies. Eight used to be the normal number but Smith likes to use a defenseman as the extra skater so I think we'll add another, possibly from the portal to try and balance classes (to the extent that's even possible any more).

Up front we seem to have some interesting talent (new and returning) on the wings, but I'm really concerned down the middle. I still wonder why Dubinsky passed on a chance to be the undisputed #1 center. I think Beaton will continue improving and establish himself as a first or second line center. Similarly Herrman seems to a good fit as a 3rd or 4th line center. The other two slots are a big question mark.

P.S. I just noticed that Linden has played several games in the AHL with good results. Congratulations to him. This reinforces that he was a quality goaltender. He was a real team player and handled the shift to potentially even better players like Savory and Watson with class.
                              It would not surprise me if Aslanidis settles in as #2. We eventually found out that Strom did not play at all last year due to injury. Hopefully we will also learn why Aslanidis didn't play.

I am in agreement about the situations at defense and center.

BTW, with Aslanidis and Muzzatti, we will have two players each of whom played one game for the USNTDP.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Today is 4 May 2022. There are 150 days until RPI's next game. There are 58 days until RPI has a new president.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X