RPI 2022 Off-season: Surely, We Deserve Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    I guess I'd be asking why a top kid decides to leave a team...
    Jake was a senior. The RPI seniors could have left earlier, but stayed to try and make it work, so I understand why they are in the portal now. I think part of this for kids with 1 year left is looking at a last chance to play in the NCAA tournament. Unfortunately, RPI is in rebuild mode.

I get the frustration; 2 years ago, RPI had a ton of momentum and a goaltender in peak form going into the ECAC playoffs after snagging 4th place in the last game. Then COVID shut down the season and RPI took one of the most conservative positions on reopening throughout, and seemed unable to let anyone know what the plan might be to restart practices, which is also clearly part of the equation here. That's not the fault of the other teams, but it's just disappointing that the kids in the 19-20 team didn't get a chance to take another run with the intact underclassmen group.

I am conflicted on the transfer rule. I think kids should be able to move for a fresh start, but we have to accept that flexibility is going to allow good players to transfer to direct rivals. Something about college sports is lost there, but I don't think we reckon with the reality that the prior rules had their own downsides for players. It will be interesting to see if any further changes are made after a couple of years of experience. I haven't heard any evidence of other schools "tapping up" kids, I think most of these conversations are getting initiated by the players through intermediaries (e.g. juniors, high school, and AAU coaches) anyway, and that type of action is impossible to prevent, and may be even undesirable to try to limit.

Comment

• My bad... I missed that he is a senior.
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

WOW!!!!!!
        I thought that it was Shirley's fault.
        Where do you think the weeds in our pasture came from?

Comment

• Originally posted by Engineers View Post
          With the exception of Dubinsky and kjeilberg the seniors that are in the portal are not a surprise to the coaching staff. It was already known.
          Yes, but those are two that really blossomed in our program and would have been senior leaders on next year's team. The odd part is that one picked a school that will be very lucky if it escapes the the Big 10 basement (Dubinsky to Michigan State) and the other is going to a team that is similarly placed in its league (Kjellberg to NMU) as RPI is in the ECAC (both mid-range). I don't see a great hockey benefit for either. Maybe there are personal reasons.

Comment

• I agree, I don’t see a great benefit either.

Comment

• Austin Heidemann has committed to RPI out of the transfer portal from Mercyhurst

16 GP 7-5-12
              38 GP 12-15-27
              in his 2 years there, looks like a good addition

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
                Austin Heidemann has committed to RPI out of the transfer portal from Mercyhurst

16 GP 7-5-12
                38 GP 12-15-27
                in his 2 years there, looks like a good addition
                He was their leading scorer. I couldn't find a Mercyhurst line chart but it looks like he's a wing since he wasn't listed taking face-offs in the two box scores I checked. Good pickup, but I hope we can find at least one top two line center. We're pretty thin down the middle.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

He was their leading scorer. I couldn't find a Mercyhurst line chart but it looks like he's a wing since he wasn't listed taking face-offs in the two box scores I checked. Good pickup, but I hope we can find at least one top two line center. We're pretty thin down the middle.
                  https://hurstathletics.com/sports/me...eidemann/12640 Does look like a good pickup. We need to replace top 3 Dman.

Comment

• Today is 14 April 2022. There are 170 days until RPI's next game. There are 78 days until RPI has a new president.

This is based upon 1 October 2022 for the start of next season and 1 July 2022 for the end of @#$%^.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI67 View Post

https://hurstathletics.com/sports/me...eidemann/12640 Does look like a good pickup. We need to replace top 3 Dman.
                      It's good to get someone who looks like he will be useful and around for more than one year. I do think that D is our primary need, but my gut feeling is that besides for Smolinski and Ardanaz, we will add two since I think Hallbauer will be back. One could be Al-Azem.

BTW, Heidemann received 3.75 *'s from Neutral Zone before going to Mercyhurst.
                      Last edited by Ralph Baer; 04-14-2022, 01:17 AM.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Heidemann's tweet https://***********/aheids11/status/1514368970811445249
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          It is nice to know that someone wants to come here.
                          I don't want to read too much into this, but he must have gotten some reassurance that the coach will still be here in October. At least I would like to believe that.
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                          Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post

It is nice to know that someone wants to come here.
                            I don't want to read too much into this, but he must have gotten some reassurance that the coach will still be here in October. At least I would like to believe that.
                            sezenack posted a few pages ago that Smith will indeed be back.
                            Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by RPI67 View Post

Stolen. Ha ha Good news.
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• https://oficeandivy.substack.com/p/o...fer-portal?s=r

The Engineers snagged former Mercyhurst forward Austin Heidemann, who will be 23 at the start of next season. For a program that could use a little more offensive punch to get to the next level, Heidemann should provide it. Recording 12 points in 16 games during his first year, Heidemann posted 12 goals and 15 assists in 38 games in year two, tying him for the team lead in points. If he can continue an upward trend, he may record 35-40 points for RPI in his Junior campaign. Not a bad bit of contribution if you ask me.
                                Johnson is also discussed,
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X