This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post

Troy York (Mid season departure), Emil Ohrvall (went to MIchigan), Evan Tironese (retired from College Hockey) in the RPI Serv List his dad did not have kind things to say about DS, Brady Ferner (UND), Lou Nanne (retired from Hockey), Owen Savory (UMass Lowell), Billy Jerry (LIU and his brother played for DS at Canisius), Corey Babichuk (Vermont). If you said to me "Aspydad, who retires from College Hockey?!", not many but we had two players to do it. Is it not the job of the head coach to instill a culture where players would want to stay? Even those who have a fifth year?? I have no beef with Dave, none. My question goes to the title of this thread, "Surely, we deserve better", do we?
    You had a little problem with verb tense. You complained about players that "are entering" the portal, which implies at the current time. The fact that we haven't heard of any (yet?) is what I questioned. The examples you provided are of players that entered the portal or left in previous years and there are good reasons for many of them that I think I are unrelated to the current coach or even the current state of the program in general. One left due to health issues and most left due to the school's pandemic response - some even stating that they'd have stayed otherwise. Sure there were a few where the coaching may have not been to their preference, but I have trouble thinking of any coach we've had that didn't have some departures due to interpersonal, cultural or playing style issues. I see no evidence that Dave Smith has a higher percentage of those. Does anyone?

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

Many years ago i was stationed at the War College in Carlisle. As a Lt. Colonel in the Medical Corps I had some decent rank and privilege in the service (or at least I had thought so). Then i arrived at Carlisle and promptly saw that I was about the lowest ranking officer there. I never saw so many stars!! But as a physician, rank really matters vry little and you are like a separate entity and not really considered in the same category as the 'real Army'. I am sure things have changed some over the years but I found the area to be one of the most pleasant i have ever seen in the US and loved my time there.
      Very off topic post: My mother's father was a doctor and served in the German army in WW I. Medical ranks were different than for regular soldiers. He was an Oberarzt (supervisory physician). FWIW, he was on the western front until 1917. A few days after going to the east, he lost an eye due to a shrapnel wound in what is now Latvia.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
        If that's a coach that thinks there's even a slight chance that he won't be here next season then Dave Smith has got to be one of the coolest customers ever. He'd undoubtedly be the first that went on a 10 day recruiting trip with his purportedly unrenewed contract expiring just a few days later. I suppose there's a chance an amazing opportunity will come his way, but I think it's clear he's planning on being here this summer and on into next year.
        Last edited by rpi82; 03-19-2022, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• Today is 19 March 2022. There are 196 days (28 weeks) until RPI's next game. There are 104 days until RPI has a new president.

This is based upon 1 October 2022 for the start of next season and 1 July 2022 for the end of @#$%^.

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 03-19-2022, 02:56 AM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Although we commented negatively on occasion about Kyle Hallbauer, it's good to know that he will back next season. I suspect that he will be step up. With Johnson, Baxter, and apparently Helsen leaving on D, we need two or three replacements. One is apparently Max Smolinski. There is a chance that Kareem Al-Azem will show up in the fall so we won't lose them and because all reports indicate he had a great year at KUA. He could, however, benefit from a year in Maryland (NAHL) where he has signed or even in the USHL.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Although we commented negatively on occasion about Kyle Hallbauer, it's good to know that he will back next season. I suspect that he will be step up. With Johnson, Baxter, and apparently Helsen leaving on D, we need two or three replacements. One is apparently Max Smolinski. There is a chance that Kareem Al-Azem will show up in the fall so we won't lose them and because all reports indicate he had a great year at KUA. He could, however, benefit from a year in Maryland (NAHL) where he has signed or even in the USHL.
              if we get the sophomore year Kyle Hallbauer I'll be thrilled. As for Al-Azem, Northeastern has two of the better defensemen in HE that both entered directly from prep school, including one from Kimball Union, so it still can be done but they were also 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. If the coaches think Al-Azem is ready then I'll defer to their judgment, but I don't think he's regarded as a talent on the order of surefire NHL picks.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post

if we get the sophomore year Kyle Hallbauer I'll be thrilled. As for Al-Azem, Northeastern has two of the better defensemen in HE that both entered directly from prep school, including one from Kimball Union, so it still can be done but they were also 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. If the coaches think Al-Azem is ready then I'll defer to their judgment, but I don't think he's regarded as a talent on the order of surefire NHL picks.
                My concern is that if he doesn't come in the fall, someone else will get him like Hunter McDonald this year. He is, however, younger than was HM a year ago.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

You had a little problem with verb tense
                  Then of course this invalidates my whole post.

"Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

but I have trouble thinking of any coach we've had that didn't have some departures due to interpersonal, cultural or playing style issues.
                    Believe the previous coach only had one: Pat Koudys. I do admit there is a new paradigm in College Hockey with the portal (see I'm fair). In advance, sorry for any verb tense issues.
                    Last edited by AspyDad; 03-19-2022, 08:35 AM.
                    "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Most of these are lazy examples.
                      Stubborn meet facts

Comment

The coach should absolutely instill a culture where players want to stay. 4 players in the portal means 26 players are not in the portal. It definitely stinks to lose them, but it appears the vast majority of players do want to stay.
                        But what does it mean when there your core talent and they most likely have the opportunity that others on the team don't; asking for a friend?

Comment

• In the words head coach Herm Edward's You are what your record says you are and our current group is.349 so we can voice all the opinions we want the data is the data I'm sure all the engineers out there can agree on that. I'll pre apologize for any verb misuse !
                          What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                            Believe the previous coach only had one: Pat Koudys. I do admit there is a new paradigm in College Hockey with the portal (see I'm fair). In advance, sorry for any verb tense issues.
                            It's more than the portal. First it was the free grad transfer, then the portal and now one free transfer for everyone. Seth didn't have to play under any of those rules** that have made transfers dramatically easier and less costly. Yet he certainly had other departures that stemmed from a misalignment of perceptions between the coaches and the players. Guys like Jordan Cyr, Reed Kipp, Christian Morrisette and Craig Bokenfohr come to mind. Seth actually cut some of them because the rules of the day placed more of the power in the hands of coaches than players, but the effect was the same.

** Graduate transfer was coming in right at the end of Seth's tenure. IIRC Drew Melanson was our first. Would he have stayed if Seth was retained? I doubt it. His RPI career had a downward trend and he was ready to go. I believe the coaching change was incidental to his plan but we may never be sure.

P.S. When the verb tense error changes the entire argument it is relevant, but your apology is accepted.

Comment

BTW, I want to complement the Talkin' Neers team on their insights. One of the guys (sorry Sezenack, you guys all sound alike to me) pointed out the great playoffs for Kjellberg. I agree. He was dominant at times on the ice controlling play. He, like virtually all defensemen with offensive skills, sometimes frustrates me with his defensive play but he gave a very strong effort right to the end. That includes the "breakaway" by Corinoto (sp?) with an empty net in the last game. That was a brilliant defensive play and, despite the complaints from Harvard, it was absolutely not a penalty. I reviewed it several times. With everyone pressing forward Corinoto poked the puck out of his end by Kjellberg and took off after it, but Simon was by his side stride for stride. They came together inside the RPI blue line. In soccer it would have been called a shoulder to shoulder challenge as two guys with equal rights to the puck came together side by side and, surprise, surprise, the bigger guy won. The good Dr. must have loved it as it exhibited his favorite physics principles. It was absolutely legal and a play, in terms of skating and body control, that few college defensemen could make. If he comes back next season I can see Kjellberg giving us a Will Reilly-like senior season.
                              Last edited by rpi82; 03-19-2022, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by troyboy View Post
                                I'll pre apologize for any verb misuse !
                                Apparently the verb tense error changes the entire argument; who da thunk?!

Comment

Working...
                                X