RPI 2022 Off-season: Surely, We Deserve Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hawthr View Post
    Figured I'd add some color to the golf outing story, as I was in attendance on Monday. Judging by the lack of reports, you've probably figured out that attendance was rather light this year - I counted 20 or so foursomes for the day. Noticeably absent were some longer time alumni, as well as a few of the corporate sponsors who tend to put forth foursomes. Not terribly surprising given the program has been in a void the last two years, between a cancelled season and then no fans. Rather openly acknowledged by those I spoke with, as well as very eagerly looking forward to having 'a full house' at the HFH once again. Credit to sezenack for getting Dr. McElroy to scoop the season ticket news on Twitter (that got mentioned early in the dinner program, as he likely jumped the news being published by the Sports Info Dept.

Three of our players for the year were not in attendance, but Dave pointed them out as arriving shortly; otherwise, all of the team was there. Mattias was also missed that night, as he was notably coaching Team Austria. Every player I spoke with was very much looking forward to this season. Dave, in his intro remarks, spoke about how this is the closest knit team they have had yet, and everyone has made a point to show up early for voluntary practices as they truly play for one another. At least one player remarked how they were looking forward to having fans once again, and rather bluntly provided his opinion on the lockdown of last year.

As noted, President Schmidt was in attendance at the dinner - which is the first time in the dozen-plus years I've been going to these that I can recall that ever happening. Decent chunk of the cabinet was also in attendance. Marty spoke, and I took his speech as a refreshing change from the previous administration. He had the entire hockey staff and team over the night before to welcome them and chat. During his speech, he talked about the recruiting process for the new gig, and that 'there's something truly special about coming back to your undergraduate alma mater and leading it.' On hockey, noted that his family was steeped deeply in youth hockey, with one son winning a MA state championship, and that his wife is the consummate 'hockey mom' who raised four D-men and you may hear yelling from the president's box. Of note - his sons played in the golf outing and took home first place. Had the pleasure of talking with a few RPI staff members there, who confirmed what I saw quickly - it's like night and day with this administration. Still getting used to not having to walk on eggshells. Schmidt is putting in the hours on campus, and everyone has had nothing but positive things to say about him. He insists that his nametag have nothing but 'Marty Schmidt '81' on it, feels that the Troy building and President's house are a bit ostentatious (my word), and is thinking about repurposing the president's parking spot for 'employee of the month.'
    Great report ---thanks for the update.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by sezenack View Post
      Nick Ardanaz is #11, Danny Ciccarello is #22, and John Evans is #14 from their instagrams
      Six more to go. :-)
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Maybe Army has other activities then which would interfere with their hockey team going to Troy. I realize that their team is not playing that day.
        Is there an invasion going on somewhere?
        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

Great report ---thanks for the update.
          I feel a little bit like Rip Van Winkle - awakening from a 20 year nap.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Figured I'd add some color to the golf outing story, as I was in attendance on Monday........
            The future is looking bright. Not only is it great to know that our new Prez takes a personal interest in the program, but I'm very impressed that his family does as well. Based on Marty being virtually the same age as me, and the fact that they won the event, I assume his sons are all adults or close to it - is that correct? For them to come to Troy for their Dad's first significant interactions with the team and fans hockey must really be in the family's blood. Ironically, MIT dropped varsity hockey about 15 years ago, just as Marty was beginning his rise up the Institute's administrative ranks.

This also confirms the intelligence of the players we recruit. If the new President's sons enter a foursome, do not under any circumstances beat them. Maybe Coach Dave and the team will see some updates to HFH after all.
            Last edited by rpi82; 08-15-2022, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• I believe that in smaller institutions, a Pres, that shows genuine honest support and enthusiasm for a program makes a difference. People notice and it is catching. Next issue is money.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrDemento View Post

I feel a little bit like Rip Van Winkle - awakening from a 20 year nap.
                More a nightmare than a nap. :-D
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Schmidt is putting in the hours on campus, and everyone has had nothing but positive things to say about him. He insists that his nametag have nothing but 'Marty Schmidt '81' on it, feels that the Troy building and President's house are a bit ostentatious (my word), and is thinking about repurposing the president's parking spot for 'employee of the month.'
                  I hope it is the beginning of a great era for the school. You can never really tell how a president is going to pan out until they get going in the job, but it at least looks like the new President has done his homework. And sometimes, it can be a huge plus to have an alumnus lead the school, especially after long periods without that happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                    Ironically, MIT dropped varsity hockey about 15 years ago, just as Marty was beginning his rise up the Institute's administrative ranks.
                    That happened right as the recession got serious in 2009. The press release announcing the cuts had a couple of noteworthy items: (1) Before the cuts, MIT had over 40 varsity sports. That is a huge athletic program. Several other sports were cut with M & W hockey at the same time as part of college-wide belt tightening. (2) The press release described a formulaic analysis to determine which sports to cut. Would have been interesting to see what factors doomed hockey.

Looks like it might have been the right decision as the remaining teams got much stronger. Only a few years after the cuts, MIT bolted up the Director's Cup rankings and is a top 5 DIII program on a regular basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                      Based on Marty being virtually the same age as me, and the fact that they won the event, I assume his sons are all adults or close to it - is that correct?
                      Yes, not a great judge of exact ages but all are definitely adults and I'd say at least early 20s. The one who celebrated loudest (and commented jokingly they gotta up the prize game for next year) had a moustache that reminded me heavily of Matt Carpenter's current style.
                      Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

• Today is 16 August 2022. There are 46 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 1 October 2022 for the start of next season.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

I hope it is the beginning of a great era for the school. You can never really tell how a president is going to pan out until they get going in the job, but it at least looks like the new President has done his homework. And sometimes, it can be a huge plus to have an alumnus lead the school, especially after long periods without that happening.
                          All very good initial signs... am hopeful the good news continues to flow.

Comment

• Today is 17 August 2022. There are 45 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Today is 18 August 2022. There are 44 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• https://***********/rodgerwyland/sta...O-Eqbbs_ItG3pg

5 year contract for Dave Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X