Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2022 Off-season: Surely, We Deserve Better

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

    It depends on how you define "first tier", but RPI's W/L record over the last 20 seasons is well below .500, and 10 of those seasons had over 20 losses. RPI is a good program that graduates a lot of kids, and in most seasons is competitive (if not ultimately successful) but it is clear it has been off the business end of the post-season scene for a while now.
    To me that is what defines second tier, being competitive but not one of the top teams. We are usually not a walkover, but we don't walk over other teams either. So I agree with DrD.
    sigpic

    Let's Go 'Tute!

    Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

    2012 Poser Of The Year

    Comment


    • What we have been in the last twenty years doesn't matter.
      We enter this season with a new administration and a new focus. Unfortunately, we don't know yet what that focus will be.
      We don't know if we have a coach, and we don't have any idea what our roster will look like.
      Way too many questions.
      As for our chances in the future, you don't have to look to far back to see Union and Yale winning national championships. It is possible to reach the top. But to do that, we need stability. And right now, we don't have that.
      The questions need to be answered soon.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

      Comment


      • Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        What we have been in the last twenty years doesn't matter.
        We enter this season with a new administration and a new focus. Unfortunately, we don't know yet what that focus will be.
        We don't know if we have a coach, and we don't have any idea what our roster will look like.
        Way too many questions.
        As for our chances in the future, you don't have to look to far back to see Union and Yale winning national championships. It is possible to reach the top. But to do that, we need stability. And right now, we don't have that.
        The questions need to be answered soon.
        I am sure that you could name at least half of our roster for next season.
        sigpic

        Let's Go 'Tute!

        Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

        2012 Poser Of The Year

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

          To me that is what defines second tier, being competitive but not one of the top teams. We are usually not a walkover, but we don't walk over other teams either. So I agree with DrD.
          Thanks for the follow up Ralph. I really think that when a team has not scored a single goal in an NCAA Tournament game in 37 years it sort of indicates that you may not be looking at a top tier team. Could we get back to that level? I sure hope we do and do it soon since some of us do not have another 37 years to wait around.
          Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

          Comment


          • Today is 11 April 2022. There are 173 days until RPI's next game. There are 81 days until RPI has a new president.


            This is based upon 1 October 2022 for the start of next season and 1 July 2022 for the end of @#$%^.



            sigpic

            Let's Go 'Tute!

            Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

            2012 Poser Of The Year

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

              I am sure that you could name at least half of our roster for next season.
              Half a roster is only a hint of what the team will look like in October.
              I would really like to see the coaching situation resolved soon.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                I sure hope we do and do it soon since some of us do not have another 37 years to wait around.
                Amen!!!
                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                Benjamin Franklin
                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                Gary Player

                Comment


                • Originally posted by jericho View Post
                  So I was thinking, with the potential of Utica going DI. Would the ECAC expand? Of course, to make the travel partner system work you'd want to take 2, so do you take Utica and RIT and either the travel partner pairing would be Utica/Colgate and Cornell/RIT or do you take Utica/RIT and LIU? The latter would make it tough for travel partners, but it could be done. In this scenario, maybe the travel partners are Clarkson/SLU, Harvard/Dartmouth, Brown/Yale, Princeton/LIU, Quinnipiac/RPI, Union/Cornell or RIT or Utica; Colgate/Cornell or RIT or Utica.

                  There wouldn't really be very many outliers with those travel partners in the second scenario. RPI/Quinnipiac is only 2:20 minutes. Union/RIT is 3:09. I do think taking Utica and LIU would be the best choice geographically, and would keep the travel partner integrity. It would also open up two more spots for Atlantic Hockey to take two teams.
                  Utica is pursuing joining AHA as a DI program. Any announcement would only occur after Robert Morris was reinstated, bringing the conference total to 11 with Utica joining as the 12th team, to balance things out. Likely wouldn't have any formal word until May-June.

                  https://romesentinel.com/stories/wha...-hockey,131666
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Engineers View Post
                    If umass and AIC can turn their program around to competing in the tournament almost every year and winning national championships (umass) then RPI can do the same. You need everyone buying in from the top down. We never had that obviously with saj. If we had the support the program deserves it would be a different story. Hopefully the new president understands how important RPI hockey is to the campus and community.
                    It should be noted that both UMass and AIC play in nice facilities. UMass essentially has an on-campus AHL rink and AIC plays in one in Springfield.
                    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

                    Comment


                    • Tyler Hinman, who posts here on occasion, won the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament for the seventh time. https://twitter.com/rpi/status/1513548943032033286
                      sigpic

                      Let's Go 'Tute!

                      Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                      2012 Poser Of The Year

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Tyler Hinman, who posts here on occasion, won the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament for the seventh time. https://twitter.com/rpi/status/1513548943032033286
                        Congratulations both down and across!!!!!!!!!
                        Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post

                          It should be noted that both UMass and AIC play in nice facilities. UMass essentially has an on-campus AHL rink and AIC plays in one in Springfield.
                          I think facilities might be a piece of it, but I think the larger universe of investments in adjunct facilities (training/weight rooms/lounges/fully-stocked stick room) and other features (student supports, nice residences, etc.) might be just as important. UMass has had the Mullins Center for about 30 years, and only recently became a regular feature in the NCAA tournament. But there's also a potential of diminishing returns to that spending. There are a few big boys with really nice rinks that have been out of the national frame recently. And small schools can be a mixed bag; jury is still out on impact of new Colgate rink on the on-ice product, although late run to Lake Placid is a good sign.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by DavidNardolillo View Post

                            I think facilities might be a piece of it, but I think the larger universe of investments in adjunct facilities (training/weight rooms/lounges/fully-stocked stick room) and other features (student supports, nice residences, etc.) might be just as important. UMass has had the Mullins Center for about 30 years, and only recently became a regular feature in the NCAA tournament. But there's also a potential of diminishing returns to that spending. There are a few big boys with really nice rinks that have been out of the national frame recently. And small schools can be a mixed bag; jury is still out on impact of new Colgate rink on the on-ice product, although late run to Lake Placid is a good sign.
                            AIC and UMass are actually tributes to what having a good coach can do. UMass attendance had plummeted to approximately 25% of capacity at the Mullins Center. It didn't become a beneficial playing environment againuntil after Carvel and company gave fans a reason to come back. As for AIC, they've built a winner while averaging about 300 fans per game in the Mass Mutual Center, the old Springfield Civic Center, which was always considered one of the worst facilities in the AHL. I haven't been there in 12 or so years (shortly after they did a renovation that made the place minimally acceptable to the AHL) but I don't believe they have done much to improve it since. The fact that Lang built a winner playing in an almost empty 50 year old echo chamber made his achievement even greater.
                            Last edited by rpi82; 04-11-2022, 09:30 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Today is 12 April 2022. There are 172 days until RPI's next game. There are 80 days until RPI has a new president.


                              This is based upon 1 October 2022 for the start of next season and 1 July 2022 for the end of @#$%^.



                              sigpic

                              Let's Go 'Tute!

                              Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                              2012 Poser Of The Year

                              Comment


                              • Jake Johnson to QU :-(
                                https://twitter.com/QHockeyBlog/stat...36247444545540
                                sigpic

                                Let's Go 'Tute!

                                Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

                                2012 Poser Of The Year

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X