No announcement yet.

2022 UVM Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Todd and his staff are slowly working the transfer portal to get some solid/mid-level players to help stabilize next year. None of these guys are game breakers who will drastically change the team. But 1 common theme is they are all academic selections and to me this implies low maintenance players, and also being older they won't require much from the staff who can then focus on the young recruits.

With Oskar Autio Goalie transfer - Lisa summarized very well the 1A/1B situation. With Eric Gotz - you get a 5', 10" defensemen with 50 pts in 130 games, decent offensive stats from the rear. Probably some PP time and puck moving ability. With Finn Evans - you get a forward with size who can pop a few into the net.

To me the real progression of this team comes from the recruiting classes. Last year was a solid one, and hopefully next is as well. Need 4-6 solid players every year. I'm excited about the information regarding the two Minn. POY players coming and what I've seen indicates part of 23-24 class.

Comment

Yeah, and I think the staff has done a good job in figuring out that this team's biggest problem was honestly talent tbh. The recruiting pipeline just was not there at the end of the KS era. The staff seems to know what they want to play, and I think they've done a pretty good job utilizing the portal to bring in experience guys who can help now.
      https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
      https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
      NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
      Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Another from the Portal, Ryder Donovan from Wisconsin. 3 not-great years there, but he is a Vegas draft pick so he has that going for him lol

Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Thanks for the update - fits the profile - 6'3'' or 6'4" depending on different sources and 203 lbs. Todd likes this size in the forward ranks. During HS years was a top 10 finalist for Mr. Hockey in Minn. 4th round pick of Vegas - kind of high to not be producing a little more in the college ranks, 12 pts in 88 games. Maybe he blossoms in the right environment?? His twitter account confirms UVM and he says he's pumped to come east.

Comment

Ross Colton!!!! Great goal in clutch yet again for Tampa! Glad to see his post UVM success.

Comment

Hey Greencat - Yes - Colton having another good playoff run this year after scoring cup clinching goal in last years victory. He's currently 3rd on TB in playoff scoring with 7 points in 9 games played. This kid has had steady development since he left UVM. Last high level recruit that Kevin got before he left the cupboard bare. Played his cards just about right. Had a very good regular season with 22G and 39 pts. Has 1 more year on current contract and then will be bumped into higher $. Good to see Ex-Cat doing so well. Our NHL #'s have dwindled over the last few years and time to get the talent level back at UVM and then let them develop into NHL regulars. We need some kids to come play high level and then if they move on early so be it.

Comment

Time for some UVM related news. This past week former UVM GREAT - Marty St. Louis signed a 3 year deal with Montreal after last years interim status as head coach. Obviously lots of media coverage in Montreal and Marty's news conferences never fail to provide great information. His approach to coaching philosophy is different and time will tell if it works. But always there is a few great lines during the presser.....This week the following:

When asked if other teams were interested in him as their head coach for next season. “My son’s bantam team, they were really interested in having me back,”.

Last Feb press conference after being hired as interim coach and questioned on lack of coaching experience, but relating to coaching his son's peewee team.

“Well, if anything, this team needs to have fun right now,” St. Louis said. “I know when they were in pee wee, they had a lot of fun. So, I’m probably the most qualified guy right now."

Comment

Former UVM Player Ross Colton plays for the Stanley Cup with his teammates - TB. He enters with 5G, 3A in 17 playoff games. 1st two years in the NHL and Ross gets to the Final both years. He has already played 40 playoff games in his first 2 years. On top of this all he scored the Cup Clincher in Game 5 of 21/22 season.

Comment

Anyone know much about this guy?

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...lly-sancibrian

From Barre and played a single game with the USNDP last year not sure if he will return there but he also was a high pick of a QMJHL team in the American draft. The top overall pick in that draft in 2021 was also from Barre and is 16, Jake Boulanger. Would be nice if capable in state talent that can help the team get back on track and win decided to play at home.
                    Last edited by Charlie Catamount; 06-21-2022, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Charlie Cat - don't know anything about those players, but on the surface appear to be pretty good prospects. Can't seem to find anything related to them heading down toward college commitments. High QMJHL draft selection would indicate they can play. 2nd kid Jake B. at Holderness Prep school would imagine academically could get into UVM. Would like to hear if others know anything.

I've always been a proponent that we need at least 1 VT player in the roster every 4 years so that the next very talented player looks at the roster and see's that the coaching staff is open and wants VT player participation. We've had a long history of VT players dotting the lineup and you never know when the next John Leclair is out there wanting to play for his home state university. Another VT player is at Michigan State - was he looked at by the previous administration ?? (my sources say NO). The hockey world is small and VT players don't just show up on other college rosters. Just look to the UVM Mens Basketball roster over the last 15 years. They have successfully found that 1-2 VT players to help their program.

Comment

Originally posted by Catfantoo View Post
                        Charlie Cat - don't know anything about those players, but on the surface appear to be pretty good prospects. Can't seem to find anything related to them heading down toward college commitments. High QMJHL draft selection would indicate they can play. 2nd kid Jake B. at Holderness Prep school would imagine academically could get into UVM. Would like to hear if others know anything.

I've always been a proponent that we need at least 1 VT player in the roster every 4 years so that the next very talented player looks at the roster and see's that the coaching staff is open and wants VT player participation. We've had a long history of VT players dotting the lineup and you never know when the next John Leclair is out there wanting to play for his home state university. Another VT player is at Michigan State - was he looked at by the previous administration ?? (my sources say NO). The hockey world is small and VT players don't just show up on other college rosters. Just look to the UVM Mens Basketball roster over the last 15 years. They have successfully found that 1-2 VT players to help their program.
                        Jack Kurrle (who I believe is the son of VT Secretary of Commerce Lindsay Kurrle) is coming in soon, FWIW. Just signed with Trail in the BCHL.

Been a very quiet last few weeks but should ramp up soon. NHL Draft next week and there's a couple commits involved. Also hearing UVM will host first-year D1 program Lindenwood at the Gutt in late November.

Comment

Some more schedule news, with Atlantic Hockey's dropping today - UVM is home Dec. 9 against Holy Cross and Jan. 14 against AIC.

Comment

Nice to hear that Jack Kurrle is in the pipeline. Will be great to have a VT'er on roster.

Jens Richards from Minn. just committed to UVM yesterday. 6' 2" or 3" depending on sources. Forward 195LBs. Looks like he's headed to UVM in the fall.

Comment

I was annoyed when VT players(Finkelstein, Wetmore, Haskins) didn't end up at UVM. It looks like Haskins hasn't really done much at Michigan State so far. Would be cool to see the coaching staff emphasize getting those local products on the rare occasion they're available. Looks like Eliott Groenwold, Taybor Aldrich James Chase are both promising players. Also interested to see where Sancibrian ends up.

Also interesting note in this article on the new commit. It says that one of the incoming recruits this year is likely giving up hockey. Wonder who it refers to.

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-div...-to-division-i

Comment

Some home dates, brought to you by the Gutterson master schedule (some games esp. the 2023 half haven't been added yet):

Oct 1-2 vs UConn
                                Nov 11-12 vs UNH
                                Nov 25 vs RPI
                                Dec 2-3 vs Maine
                                Dec 11 vs Dartmouth
                                Dec 30-31 vs Lindenwood

Comment

Working...
                                X