Incredibly Dull Boring 2022 Pairwise and Tournament Possibilites Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

I'd like to have a team to root for against Denver, so let's go Bobcats!

Also, after the crap Michigan pulled this season, I think everyone (outside of Ann Arbor anyway) is rooting against the Wolverines this season. I'm just unable to root for Denver.

My rooting interest order at this stage:
    1. Minnesota State
    2. Quinnipiac
    3. Minnesota
    4. Michigan
    5. Denver
    Well I can't possibly root for the Gophers, but otherwise i'll go all in for the CCHA.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I love how you keep ignoring Sioux Falls. It's pretty comical. 4.5 hours away. North Dakota packed it, and the team didn't even make the tournament. Toledo couldn't even crack 3k people the last time a regional was there (2013 - with Notre Dame and Miami in that regional).

As for Detroit, please explain how Little Caesars wouldn't work.
      LCA is booked way out and has both the Pistons and the wings. However, USA hockey arena might work if you are ok with 3500 seats, and if you could get the U 18 and U 17 teams out of there for a weekend.. it's close to AA. It even has two ice sheets.

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        LCA is booked way out and has both the Pistons and the wings. However, USA hockey arena might work if you are ok with 3500 seats, and if you could get the U 18 and U 17 teams out of there for a weekend.. it's close to AA. It even has two ice sheets.
        The NCAA accepted the Lindenwood bid to host at the Centene Community Ice Center, which only seats 2,500 in its main rink. The NCAA Bid Document for the 2022-26 Regionals still has the minimum 5,000 seat requirement, so it appears the NCAA waved it. If so, then the NCAA might wave it for USA Hockey Arena.

I also will be interested in attendance at Manchester (2023), Providence (2024), Manchester (2025) and Worcester (2026). In 2023 and 2024 Manchester and Providence won't be competing with each other or Worcester for fans as they have in the past. In 2025 Manchester will be the only regional in New England and New York and 2026 will be a repeat of this year with Albany the nearest regional to Worcester. It will also be interesting to see if Springfield can draw a crowd in 2024, especially if UMass and UConn remain top Hockey East teams and in the national picture.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
          My numbers are much more rudimentary that Sean's detailed dive, but he's absolutely correct about this being the "closest" NCAA tournament. I went all the way back to the start of the 16 team field in 2003, and only 2018 also had an average margin of victory under 2 in the previous 18 tournaments.

The average number of goals scored in a tournament was 84.2 entering the 2022 edition. So far we have a total of 63 scored over 12 games, so it's guaranteed this will not be the lowest total in the 16 team field era (since there were only 65 scored in 2018 and we're guaranteed at minimum 3 more if all the remaining games end 1-0). But we'd have to see an average of more than 6 goals a game in all the remaining games to reach that 18 year mean.
          Thanks for researching this all the way back to 2003.

Sean

Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            For TV purposes the new format is dynamite. No real crossover between games. So it comes down to valuing the TV experience or trying to maximize attendance. Is there a way to do both?
            And then there are the athletes. Playing back to back nights during the season is one thing. Doing it with playoff intensity - especially if you play multiple OT's the first night - has got to be tough. As a fan who doesn't get to the venues, I favor the off day.
            bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
            SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
            All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
            A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

I'm sure they could book the LCA with enough planning. Didn't Michigan and Michigan State play there this season?
              North Dakota
              National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Well I can't possibly root for the Gophers, but otherwise i'll go all in for the CCHA.
                I can't say I'm thrilled about it, but they are the 2nd best option of the 4 teams left. Whoever wins the Minnesota-Minnesota State matchup will have my support in the title game.
                North Dakota

Comment

I'm sure they could book the LCA with enough planning. Didn't Michigan and Michigan State play there this season?
                  The long-standing GLI is all but dead largely because LCA is now too expensive a venue to host. I've seen that tourney as far back as Olympia Stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by model94 View Post

The long-standing GLI is all but dead largely because LCA is now too expensive a venue to host. I've seen that tourney as far back as Olympia Stadium.
                    I don't agree that it's dead. Who told you that?

Comment

• Originally posted by model94 View Post

Well, Michigan-Michigan State used the LCA this year for a single game that was not part of the GLI. Not sure why they couldn't bid that site. Heck, the UM-MSU game got 16k fans.

That being said, I wonder what the difference in cost is for the LCA and the X. The Gophers have bid the X a handful of times.
                      North Dakota

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D.

For TV purposes the new format is dynamite. No real crossover between games. So it comes down to valuing the TV experience or trying to maximize attendance. Is there a way to do both?
                        I've been away from this conversation for the last few years. It's good to see that many of the best posters are still here, still keeping watch.

I agree with J.D. -- As a TV viewer, thumbs up to the new set-up. It's now possible to watch 2 Regional Finals on Saturday, and the other 2 Finals on Sunday -- without the distraction other tournament games. That's still a healthy dose of hockey, but it is doable. And to the neutral viewer, those are the most important contests. On Thursday & Friday, most of us are going to have to pick and choose. But all games are now available live. That's a significant improvement.

As for doing both good TV & maximizing attendance, the issue has always been that neutral ice has been deemed to be all-important, at the expense of tournament atmosphere. West of the Alleghenies, the most suitable arenas are home rinks for D-1 teams. By taking those venues out of the mix, you inevitably fall short of what attendance & tournament atmosphere could potentially be.

Years ago, I used to really enjoy traveling to Regionals as a neutral fan. My favorites were the tournaments that most fans love to hate: Those hosted by Yost, Munn, Mariucci and so on. Packed arenas; rocking with great hockey.

But the Regionals, as currently designed, simply aren't meant for fans like me. And I take it, aren't meant for fans like J.D. & Uncle Ray. Instead, the NCAA maximizes neutrality & provides ample seating for the traveling fans of the participating schools. Hard core supporters with a rooting interest will have an intense experience, even if the building is 2/3 empty. For the rest of us, it's no longer worth the trip.

Could you keep the 2022 TV Schedule & bring the Campus Rinks back into the mix? In theory, sure. But that train left the station a number of seasons ago. I see no chance of it returning at any time in the foreseeable future.

You get the recliner; I'll take the sofa. Pass the chips & salsa.

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post

And then there are the athletes. Playing back to back nights during the season is one thing. Doing it with playoff intensity - especially if you play multiple OT's the first night - has got to be tough. As a fan who doesn't get to the venues, I favor the off day.
                        Also agree with Uncle Ray. The new format minimizes the risk that "fatigue differential" will have a major impact on some of the most important games of the season.

Comment

I don't agree that it's dead. Who told you that?
                          Just reading the tea leaves. The last Pre covid (2019) tournament didnt actually get scheduled until late, and then is was on a Mon / Tues. This year the venue couldn't be obtained at all. And Michigan decided the awkward replacement Munn/Yost arrangement was optional. It was a good run though. I hope I'm wrong.

Comment

• Strange resurrecting this, but I did have a thought. What if the NCAA did this:
                            Thurs: 2 venues hold semis
                            Fri: Same 2 venues hold finals
                            Sat: Same as Thursday except the other 2 venues
                            Sun: Last 2 finals

This gets all games on TV, pretty much same as now, except that Saturday has 4 games instead of Friday having it, which should be better for TV.
                            The only drawback is that the first 2 regional finals are Friday night rather than Saturday, but a TV doubleheader with all games starting between 7 and 8 local time should work (maybe you have to 8:30 some years).
                            The Thu/Fri regional hosts don't get to host a weekend, but they do get fans only needing one night hotel stays. So, in theory, the gate should be better for the finals than it was this past year.

What do you all think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                              What do you all think?
                              I don't like it. The NC$$ should focus on what they say they do - the players - instead of what they actually do - the $$. Thurs-Sat and Fri-Sun. The players need a day off, particularly after OT games. The fans can figure it out.

bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

• Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                                I don't like it. The NC$$ should focus on what they say they do - the players - instead of what they actually do - the $$. Thurs-Sat and Fri-Sun. The players need a day off, particularly after OT games. The fans can figure it out.
                                That's a great point. A long overtime game, followed by another game for the winner the next day, is not ggod competitve balance.

Comment

Working...
                                X