Atlantic Hockey Championship awarded to Utica NY March 18-19 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Hockey Championship awarded to Utica NY March 18-19 2022

Wondering why ? Why not Buffalo or Rochester ?
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Maybe ask someone at Atlantic Hockey?

My guess is that they're hoping for good attendance at a centrally located, truly neutral site.

They had good attendance in Rochester but it was 90% RIT fans. And as an RIT fan myself, having to play the tournament in Canisius' barn was torturous.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I'm afraid you'll be able to hear a pin drop at the Aud. The Comets sellout every game and Utica College has the number one attendance in D3 averaging somewhere around 3500 per game. But you have to have a Utica team in the mix for that kind of attendance.

Comment

So they went from sites that were essentially home games for one of the teams (RIT and Canisius) to a site that is "centrally located within the league's footprint". That would make sense if only there were any teams even close to the local area and/or if this league had fan bases that actually travel (aside from RIT, of course). Since neither of those is true of Utica, then this is an attendance disaster in the making. I'm guessing they didn't have a lot of options and Utica was willing to let them in.
        But, hey, at least RIT is now once again the closest team to the championship location (about 15-20 minutes closer than AIC). And the college team that plays there is from the conference RIT used to call home back in the day. Can we consider that a home game if the Tigers make it to the semifinals?
        Can't we all just get along?
        Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Utica wants to go D1. They are waiting for the NCAA vote this January to see if D3 schools can offer D1 scholarships (see RIT). This is a great way to test the waters and see if Atlantic Hockey is a good fit for UC.
          SHU Class of 2000. Heck at least I realize AH isn't that good.

Comment

Utica is truly The Land That Time Forgot. Hope this works out for you guys ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Explain please !

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Chuck were you there back in the day when UNH was the Champions of November through January?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975%E..._hockey_season
                Last edited by Felger; 12-09-2021, 04:48 PM.
                UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

NCAA 1962 Finals

Comment

Originally posted by SHUCrosscheck View Post
                    Utica wants to go D1. They are waiting for the NCAA vote this January to see if D3 schools can offer D1 scholarships (see RIT). This is a great way to test the waters and see if Atlantic Hockey is a good fit for UC.
                    I don't buy it. My understanding is that the only reason scholarships are on the table for D3 play-ups is because new play-ups are no longer being accepted.

Powers &8^]

Comment

I'm not sure that this is actually such a bad thing. I'll bet this is much cheaper for the AHA than playing in Buffalo or Rochester. Rochester was a ghost town when RIT didn't make it. RIT fans will travel to Utica, at least for the finals. Attendance has always been a ****show with AHA, so I don't see this as a bad move at all.

Also, don't sleep on the Utica hockey fans. Some will show up. Especially with those ticket prices

Comment

I believe Covid-19 restrictions are higher in Erie County than most other places in New York, excluding NYC. Could this have been a factor? At least when it comes to Buffalo hosting?
                        Last edited by Earl_Leatherland; 12-10-2021, 02:41 PM. Reason: to specify Buffalo
                        Clarkson Men's/Women’s Hockey
                        ECAC RS: Men: 66, 77, 81, 82, 91, 95, 97, 99, 01, 08 Women: 14, 15, 17, 18
                        ECAC Tourney: Men: 66, 91, 93, 99, 07,19 Women: 17, 18, 19
                        NCAA Tourn Appearance: Men: 57, 58, 62, 63, 66, 70, 81, 82, 84, 90, 91, 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 07, 08, 18, 19 Women: 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
                        NCAA Frozen 4 Appearance: Men: 57, 58, 62, 63, 66, 70, 91 Women: 14, 16, 17, 18, 19
                        NCAA TITLES: Men: Women: 2014 2017 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Earl_Leatherland View Post
                          I believe Covid-19 restrictions are higher in Erie County than most other places in New York, excluding NYC. Could this have been a factor? At least when it comes to Buffalo hosting?
                          Hmm, that could be too. I've been to a few Comets games in Utica and they don't care at all. Different than Rochester or Syracuse which require vaccination

Comment

Originally posted by larfretz44 View Post

Hmm, that could be too. I've been to a few Comets games in Utica and they don't care at all. Different than Rochester or Syracuse which require vaccination
                            Don't worry. The Governor will take care of all of this. The first of this season's statewide mandates begin today, almost assuredly leading into another seemingly perpetual state of lockdown or whatever form of government over-reach they decide to enact next.
                            Can't we all just get along?
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Is not even this forum, full of people who enjoy the athletics teams of institutions of higher learning, a refuge from people who would rather blame government for ongoing restrictions than blame those who perpetuate the pandemic?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                              X