Big Red Ramblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Have you ever rolled through a stop sign?
    No.
    . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

I watched ESPN+ yest, saw no offsides or penalties in OT. Watched it five or six times.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Another confounding game: shootoff loss to Dartmouth, official tie. Dartmouth goalie was very good; both teams' offenses not very good. Negatives for Cornell: Andreev still out this weekend; Kyler Kovich out for longer; Coach Schafer not doing well with longterm COVID; COVID crowd limit takes the sting out of fan support.
        Last edited by 40-Year Big Red Fan; 01-28-2022, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I hope Mike is ok, seems like he's been sick a long time. Get well !

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
            I hope Mike is ok, seems like he's been sick a long time. Get well !
            Thanks. It is very concerning. He was worse last week than the previous week. One person told me Schafer was hospitalized.

Comment

Another game where the team sporadically played well, but were atrocious at other times. Particularly at the start of the second period (when Harvard scored its two goals), Harvard outskated, outshot, and outplayed us. Shane (now 1.65 GAA and .937 save %) was our savior. Stienberg's goal seemed to spark the team to better performance.

COVID restrictions really hurt the Lynah atmosphere. But apparently it was sufficient that several of the Harvard team slammed into the glass by the Cornell student section after the shootout win and the whole team celebrated there, so something was under their skin.

The shootout winning goal was scored by Nick Abruzzese, his last league game during the regular season, as he and Farrell are off to the Olympics.

Several team members are playing through injury. Andreev still out, probably for Tuesday's game as well. Kovich won't be back for weeks. And I think Coach Schafer's worsening situation is weighing on the team.

Very quick turnaround for Tueday's 3 P.M. game gives little time to recoup. And of course Meehan Auditorium is the funeral mortuary of ECAC hockey.

Comment

I think with the big storm coming they might move the games to Sat-Sunday. They are predicting ice then 18-24 inches thurs and friday.

Comment

Originally posted by 40-Year Big Red Fan View Post

Thanks. It is very concerning. He was worse last week than the previous week. One person told me Schafer was hospitalized.
                  Seems like they're keeping his condition hidden ?

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post

Seems like they're keeping his condition hidden ?
                    Well, Cornell generally respects the privacy of its players and coaches, so yes.

Comment

• Today, Cornell announced Coach Schafer will not be with the team for "a few more weeks." During this long recovery from COVID, it was discovered that he needed a cardiac stent. The operation has been completed.

Comment

• Seems like the "perfect storm" with Shaf out sick, volatile schedule (Brown game), young team...overachieving a bit and we crash a bit here. We need to start "playing for Shaf" instead of struggling w/o him around. Missing Max is an issue too. Hopefully we can regain some edge and scoring touch vs. Colgate as we need wins badly and have to get rolling through Feb and onto LP. Pairwise ranking is sinking, rightfully so. NOw is the time for players to step up...who are the real leaders and also...let's get back to 100% capacity at Lynah. Stunned by that update yesterday...20k at the Dome for ACC hoops, 1,200 at Lynah. C'mon CU!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by BigRedBeer View Post
                          let's get back to 100% capacity at Lynah. Stunned by that update yesterday...20k at the Dome for ACC hoops, 1,200 at Lynah. C'mon CU!!!
                          Apparently more (unclear how many more) tickets are available for the Colgate game. Section E has opened to students. Seats available in most sections as of now.

Comment

• Congrats to Mike, it was getting a bit worrysome !

Comment

• Attended my first game at Colgate since the 1970s. Colgate deserved to win: they were quicker, more opportunistic, made fewer defensive mistakes. The Red only played well occasionally. The last 10 minutes, they played well, but it was too little too late. It looked as if Ertel may have been badly injured in the last minute of the game.

Andreev, Kovich, and Schafer still out of action. Zach Bramwell made his season debut. Tim Rego seemed out of sorts, with several giveaways to his "credit."

The Refs were wildly inconsistent in their calls. This didn't advantage either team, but they did let the game get a little out of control. Players from both teams were taking shots after a hit.

Class of 1965 Rink is beautiful: particularly well designed for those with disabilities: elevator, handrails in the aisles, special seating area. That being said, it was an odd crowd. I've never seen more people moving around, leaving the arena, during play. The arena was about half full (1292), but oddly, despite the fact that Colgate was winning, fans left during the game: noticeably fewer people in the 3d period. Despite the presence of two pep bands, the arena used a lot of very loud music. In a first for me, there was a "Master of Ceremonies" for the game with a very loud, startling so, mike. In many ways it seemed more like an entertainment event than a sporting event.

COVID protocols were inconsistent. Good screening upon entrance -- horrible masking compliance among the seated crowd. Part of this was due to the fact, that despite a February 1 statement that "Suspension of concessions will continue until further notice" the concession stands were open. It's difficult to enforce masking when people are drinking beer, munching popcorn, pretzels, and hot dogs.

So on to Lynah for tonight's game.
                              Last edited by 40-Year Big Red Fan; 02-05-2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• 40-Year Fan, were in the same seat in the third period that you were for the first two periods?

Comment

Working...
                                X