Big Red Ramblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Any word yet on whether Cornell's shutdown today due to Covid will impact their hockey team's visit to North Dakota the first weekend in January?
    ASU's schedule still shows them playing against Cornell the first weekend of Jan. Did Cornell cancel out? Covid related?

Comment

Haven't seen a cancellation ?
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Assuming the team has or will fly west very soon, it's safe to assume they are healthy and ready for two large weekends of college hockey. Who knows where the season goes from here...but I'm ready watch EPL soccer with 50k in the crowd and teams somehow not getting infected.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRedBeer View Post
          Assuming the team has or will fly west very soon, it's safe to assume they are healthy and ready for two large weekends of college hockey. Who knows where the season goes from here...but I'm ready watch EPL soccer with 50k in the crowd and teams somehow not getting infected.
          Except EPL teams are getting infected, with 16 postponements, 6 since Christmas.

Sean
          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
          BU Hockey highlights and extras
          NCAA Hockey Financials
          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

The latest word is that indeed some players (and coaches?) did test positive for COVID, none had serious symptoms. So some have been going through quarantines and practices have been spotty. But the good news is that while some players will not be going to Arizona, the games with Arizona State are on for this weekend. Better news is that all players are expected to be available for North Dakota for the following weekend. So as of right now all scheduled games are on. #LetsGoRed
            . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

After a decent first period for the Big Red (with a goal by Ertel), they went terribly flat in the second. Arizona State perked up. And a defensive end giveaway by Rego and a bad decision by Joe Howe to leave his net led to two Arizona State goals. The Big Red perked up a little in the third, but a garbage goal in front of Howe made it 3-1. Howe was pulled and an extra man goal by Psenicka made it briefly 3-2. But two ENG made the final score 5-2.

Why such a terrible second? Lots of possible excuses: lack of training with the COVID hiatus made players lacking in stamina (Arizona State seemed to outskate the Red as the game went on); lack of any game experience for nearly a month, travel? Tonight's game will be a real test of the team's mettle.

Comment

Goaltending becoming a big problem. Howe was less than stellar last night and McDonald was pulled after three goals in the first period tonight. Ian Shane making his college debut.

Comment

Watched Saturday and agree with the review. Nice start, sleepy 2nd period...but the 3rd was very deceiving. We carried play, generated chances and hit posts. ENG's made the result sting more than reality. Getting a special teams goal (pulled goalie) is a positive. Didn't see last night, but they obviously battled back and showed some grit and didn't get down, when down 3-0. I'm going glass half full. Young team gets a wake up call after a long break. ASU is a pretty solid group with transfers, good goaltending, and a weird home barn advantage. That place was embarrassing! Question. Is this a field trip, team building week somewhere, or are they coming back to Ithaca? In a perfect world, I'd go somewhere and skate hard, work hard and team build...then head to UND. I still feel this team is going to grow into itself, and with a pretty weak ECAC slate....we can still make some noise. #LGR

Comment

I'm nicely surprised that we won both games. I was hoping for 1 win out of the series. Watching the game I didn't think ASU was particularly good nor Cornell was particularly bad. I can't point to anything in particular. I'm wondering if maybe the Cornell players were dealing with rustiness, Covid issues, time zone differences, etc...... any or all that & other little things that just added up to the sweep(?)
                    Anyway, I hope Cornell does great the rest of the season (with the exception of UND being I went to school there also.......)

Comment

"ASU is a pretty solid group with transfers, good goaltending, and a weird home barn advantage. That place was embarrassing! "

Hey, calling my baby ugly??? But next time you come down we'll be in the new digs. Did you drive by & see it?

Comment

Watched Saturday and agree with the review. Nice start, sleepy 2nd period...but the 3rd was very deceiving. We carried play, generated chances and hit posts. ENG's made the result sting more than reality. Getting a special teams goal (pulled goalie) is a positive. Didn't see last night, but they obviously battled back and showed some grit and didn't get down, when down 3-0. I'm going glass half full. Young team gets a wake up call after a long break. ASU is a pretty solid group with transfers, good goaltending, and a weird home barn advantage. That place was embarrassing! Question. Is this a field trip, team building week somewhere, or are they coming back to Ithaca? In a perfect world, I'd go somewhere and skate hard, work hard and team build...then head to UND. I still feel this team is going to grow into itself, and with a pretty weak ECAC slate....we can still make some noise. #LGR
                        Sunday's game did have a lot of encouraging notes after the goalie change. First, Shane was pretty terrific in goal. And you're right, the team didn't give up right up to the final whistle. I don't know the team plans, but I got an inkling that they were staying somewhere in the west as you suggest.

Despite the unknowns about COVID, the Cornell ticket office is selling "rest of the season" season tickets to previous season ticket holders through January 11, when presumably it will open up to others.

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                          "ASU is a pretty solid group with transfers, good goaltending, and a weird home barn advantage. That place was embarrassing! "

Hey, calling my baby ugly??? But next time you come down we'll be in the new digs. Did you drive by & see it?
                          Watched the Live stream! We have 8-9 barns nicer in Connecticut for HS teams than Oceanside! Why is it called Oceanside? There is no ocean!! :-) I heard the commentators say a lot, and also talk about the new multipurpose center....great news! ASU will have a lot of positive recruiting advantages soon! Good luck and have a great season. As far UND, we need to make a statement there, will be tough sledding.

Comment

According to wiki... Oceanside's original name was “Big Skate” to match the adjacent water park “Big Surf” and to match the never-built tennis court "Big Serve" before it was changed to Oceanside sometime before opening to match the west coast theming of the sports complex.
                            Am headed there in March to take in an LIU game. A snowbird just sent me pix of 5000-seat Arena under construction... it looks like it will be nice.

Comment

Watched the Live stream! We have 8-9 barns nicer in Connecticut for HS teams than Oceanside! Why is it called Oceanside? There is no ocean!! :-) I heard the commentators say a lot, and also talk about the new multipurpose center....great news! ASU will have a lot of positive recruiting advantages soon! Good luck and have a great season. As far UND, we need to make a statement there, will be tough sledding.
                              Most every high school arena in Minnesota is better than Oceanside. & now your team is headed to arguably the most opulent barn in college hockey. But does many more fans bigger arena = noise level of not so many fans much smaller arena? I believe your team will have it tougher at UND but you never know.......

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                                According to wiki... Oceanside's original name was “Big Skate” to match the adjacent water park “Big Surf” and to match the never-built tennis court "Big Serve" before it was changed to Oceanside sometime before opening to match the west coast theming of the sports complex.
                                Am headed there in March to take in an LIU game. A snowbird just sent me pix of 5000-seat Arena under construction... it looks like it will be nice.
                                For some reason the "namers" decided that because it was next to Big Surf it was logical to call it Oceanside in the end.
                                I might be at that game. But regardless, if you need some hints on where to go in Tempe, general Phx area or AZ in general, depending on how much time you have and if you've never been there before, I can give you some pointers.

Comment

Working...
                                X