No announcement yet.

Big Red Ramblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Sshablak, quote function is not working, but let's not anoint these guys the next coming of, well, anything. PWR doesn't mean much this time of year, but it doesn't mean nothing. Fact is that Cornell has played a weak schedule and has a loss and 3 regulation ties (which is all that matters for PWR). If they can start stringing some more regulation wins together, I might be more optimistic, but I think they finish behind Q and CKN this year and will be fighting tooth and nail with Harvard for 3rd.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Interesting summary.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

A few days into December and I've never felt weirder about an 8-1 team (3 reg. ties included). There is a lot of talent on this squad...some young, some old. We will learn a ton this weekend v. Clarkson and over the break in Arizona and North Dakota. Considering the fact they didn't play last year, and they are so young, how are we supposed to feel right now?? The "weakness" of the ECAC is concerning. Non-league results have been horrible...with the Atlantic (who did play last year) topping the ECAC in a few games. Friends closer to the day to day of this team say that they play up or down to their competition, a natural problem with a young team and one that is working on chemistry. Shaf will coach them up and I expect we will be sitting here on January 15th knowing a lot more about this edition of the BigRed and I'm hoping its a good feeling! #LGR

Comment

Tonight's game was an example of an out-of-sorts team righting itself. The first period was ragged, the only good thing was scrambling on the boards. Second period after a terrible penalty kill was an improvement. Lines started to click. By the third, the Red were in full swing. Andreev was a beast. Stienberg capped his natural hat trick by out-hustling McIntosh to sweep in an ENG from his knees.

Hope they can keep up the energy for the whole game tomorrow against Clarkson.
          . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Comment

Wild game in Potsdam, you guys were ahead 4-0 with eight mins left ?
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

I'm sure others will comment, but it was a combination of poor defense and goaltending in the last 6 minutes, bad officiating, important faceoffs, and Clarkson getting enough confidence to make the comeback.

Comment

It was a perfect storm: McDonald turned into a pumpkin, Cornell stopped playing, the officials blew some key icing calls, and Casey had Clarkson ready to take advantage.

Amazing comeback by Clarkson -- full credit to the team I root for when my team is not on the ice.

And, hey, for the last 5 minutes of regulation my team was essentially not on the ice.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  It was a perfect storm: McDonald turned into a pumpkin, Cornell stopped playing, the officials blew some key icing calls, and Casey had Clarkson ready to take advantage.

Amazing comeback by Clarkson -- full credit to the team I root for when my team is not on the ice.

And, hey, for the last 5 minutes of regulation my team was essentially not on the ice.
                  Not much more to be said. "Tomorrow is another day. . ."

Comment

What a rough way to go into break for the guys. Hopefully a lesson learned as Coach said postgame. Not sure I would want to be ASU on 1/1 as the Red may come out spitting nails and flying all over the place. We shall see.

Comment

After recovering from my meltdown, I realize that it's not the end of the world. Officially, for some purposes, it ended as a tie. We knew that this is largely an inexperienced team and this game proved there is a lot to work on. Before the game, both the coach and the interviewed players indicated that flu had been going around the team and by the end of the weekend's games, there might have been no reserves of energy to call upon.

The upcoming last four out-of-league games away at Arizona State and North Dakota will tell us a lot about the team's resilience and ultimate prospects. #LetsGoRed.

Comment

With no public announcement, Cornell has started selling season tickets for the rest of the season.

Much of today's TMQ: Are the PairWise and RPI systems broken? Should college hockey go back to the NHL points system for overtime? focuses on Cornell in its discussion of weaker leagues difficulties in RPI and PairWise.

Comment

Originally posted by 40-Year Big Red Fan View Post
                          With no public announcement, Cornell has started selling season tickets for the rest of the season.

Much of today's TMQ: Are the PairWise and RPI systems broken? Should college hockey go back to the NHL points system for overtime? focuses on Cornell in its discussion of weaker leagues difficulties in RPI and PairWise.
                          Any word yet on whether Cornell's shutdown today due to Covid will impact their hockey team's visit to North Dakota the first weekend in January?
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Who knows at this point? The team doesn't play any games until the first weekend of next month at ASU but then the next two weekends are also on the road at ND and then Yale and Brown. No games are actually on Cornell's campus until well into January.

Comment

Any word yet on whether Cornell's shutdown today due to Covid will impact their hockey team's visit to North Dakota the first weekend in January?
                              3 weeks away? Should be fine as far as quarantine concerns. Guessing most players will probably NOT travel home, which sucks for them but best for greater good. Let's hope that this is a short lived spike and we can move on next semester.

Comment

Ouch: Tompkins County leads the nation in COVID rate per 100,000. Cornell sports seem to be making event by event decisions: Men's and Women's basketball games this week have been cancelled or postponed. Men's wrestling apparently going ahead with competition at Journeymen Collegiate Wrestling Duals at Niceville, Florida tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X