Big Red Ramblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Red Ramblings

It's a new world since both Cornell teams ended their 2019-2020 seasons ranked #1. Cornell and Ivy League administration dilly-dallying sent Big Red players into a diaspora with only three loyalists on the men's team jumping through the hoops to come back for a final season of eligibility. So no goalies with a single non-exhibition game experience. 14 players who had not played a single college game.

It's a new world for me as well. My mother died at 99, releasing me from 7+ years as primary full-time care-taker. Of course, the pandemic immediately cut off Cornell hockey. But I've sold the family homestead, moved to downtown Rochester. Could have purchased my first Cornell hockey season tickets since 1980, but for now, no season tickets on sale. But I'm buying home game tickets on a game-by-game basis. This past weekend was the first in which all seats were available, but it was not full; students in particular did not fill their sections.

So far, I've seen one exhibition game and this weekend's two games against Alaska-Fairbanks. And one of the women's games against Mercyhurst. And what do I know? Not much.

The only part of the teams that is rock solid is the goal-keeping. The women's team has a terrific goalie in Lindsay Browning, a graduate student from the Rochester area (Penfield). The men's team has at least two solid goalies in freshman, Joe Howe and senior, Nate McDonald.

For the rest of the men's team, it is way too early to know a whole lot. The experienced players shone in the two overtime games, controlling the ice and garnering quick wins. Kyle Betts and Max Andreev have been beasts in leading the offense. Freshman Ondrej Psenicka and Junior Ben Berard have also impressed.

Right now, before injuries take their toll, there is massive competition to get on the ice. Each game eight healthy players have had to stand at the back of Section D watching their teammates. Everyone has been trying real hard to keep their spots, but it's an inexperienced bunch and a lot of the the play ragged.

Power play defense has been solid. The power play has been non-existent; a particular problem: keeping the puck in on the points.

Next Friday's Harvard game will tell a lot.
    . . . still crazy after all these years. . .

Welcome to USCHO forum, will be good to not have to go to ELynah for updates.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Get the news out that you're here to your fellow Big Red posters.

Comment

Cornell outshot Harvard 38-22.

Comment

Last night a decent game against a very talented Harvard squad. Too many defensive lapses. Offensive needs more experience. Need consistent play for all 60 minutes. Gibson played very well in goal for Harvard.

Comment

Well, a far too exciting match that raised a lot of questions. First this weekend's games make me reassess the only conclusion I'd reached after the Alaska-Fairbanks games: that we didn't need to worry about goaltending. Both goalies showed weaknesses, particularly McDonald on Dartmouth's third goal.

Second, what did Reid Cashman say to his team in the first intermission? They were much more aggressive on the forecheck thereafter.

Third, why did Cashman pull goalie Stevenson, who seemingly played well (22 saves, 2 goals), after the second period? His replacement, Ferguson, did not seem to be an improvement (7 saves, 3 goals).

Fourth, how did Dan and Lee-Ann Berard raise such a gentlemanly teammate? Berard's foregoing an easy ENG to give his linemate Kyle Kovich his first collegiate goal, proved no good deed goes unpunished. Even more impressive was Berard's atonement: scoring with 7 seconds left in the game to seal the victory (also for a hat trick).

Conclusion? Still a lot of unanswered questions about this team; a lot of work to be done. But they did show heart both nights. Berard is proving to be a beast with a wicked shot. The season will keep this old man on the edge of his seat.

Comment

Originally posted by 40-Year Big Red Fan View Post
              Well, a far too exciting match that raised a lot of questions. First this weekend's games make me reassess the only conclusion I'd reached after the Alaska-Fairbanks games: that we didn't need to worry about goaltending. Both goalies showed weaknesses, particularly McDonald on Dartmouth's third goal.

Second, what did Reid Cashman say to his team in the first intermission? They were much more aggressive on the forecheck thereafter.

Third, why did Cashman pull goalie Stevenson, who seemingly played well (22 saves, 2 goals), after the second period? His replacement, Ferguson, did not seem to be an improvement (7 saves, 3 goals).

Fourth, how did Dan and Lee-Ann Berard raise such a gentlemanly teammate? Berard's foregoing an easy ENG to give his linemate Kyle Kovich his first collegiate goal, proved no good deed goes unpunished. Even more impressive was Berard's atonement: scoring with 7 seconds left in the game to seal the victory (also for a hat trick).

Conclusion? Still a lot of unanswered questions about this team; a lot of work to be done. But they did show heart both nights. Berard is proving to be a beast with a wicked shot. The season will keep this old man on the edge of his seat.
              Good thoughts. I never thought the Alaska series showed much about our goaltending, since Alaska simply doesn’t have much offensive firepower. I think when all is said and done Howe will be getting the majority of starts this year, since in an admittedly limited sample size he just seems to me to be a more dependable goaltender than MacDonald.

Comment

Originally posted by 40-Year Big Red Fan View Post
                Why did Cashman pull goalie Stevenson, who seemingly played well (22 saves, 2 goals), after the second period? His replacement, Ferguson, did not seem to be an improvement (7 saves, 3 goals).
                Had the same question. Saw in the handshake after the game that Stevenson was noticeably in pain. Was told that he was injured on a play late in the 2nd but not sure which one. I didn't notice it when it happened, so I wondered why the change was made as well. That would explain it.

Comment

Cornell came out and dominated the first period. Union woke up and outhustled the Red in the 2d. The 3d was pretty even. Both teams looking for more consistency over the 60 minutes.

One oddity: Union called for a review of Cornell's second goal for "too many men on the ice." Huh? Review confirmed goal.

Moving Psenicka to the Andreev-Stienberg line had the desired effect: two goals.

Attendance continues to lag. Student sections were a little better; general admission worse.
                  Last edited by 40-Year Big Red Fan; 11-12-2021, 11:46 PM.

Comment

One of the most puzzling games I've ever attended. Unless RPI's backup goalie was actually injured, leaving Marshall in to lose 11-3 would seem to wreck both goalies' confidence.

Neither team's defenses were playing their best, but RPI's just left their goalie out to dry time after time.

Cornell's offensive obviously was in gear to the delight of a lightish Lynah crowd (2322; all seats were available for sale). 14 players got points.

The Pep band was apparently those on the disabled list for the Dartmouth football game: so depleted they didn't even play the anthems.
                    Last edited by 40-Year Big Red Fan; 11-14-2021, 08:56 AM.

Comment

I didn’t think Linden Marshall looked all that good at Colgate on Friday in RPI’s 5-2 loss.

Comment

I sense some real excitement around the program and this team. Going back to the season that ended too soon, we are on a role. So many new faces and a few holdovers. Hoping for great results this weekend and something positive at MSG soon after. I dreaded that a lost season would set us back a bit, but it doesn't look that way at all...

Also, for many years there has never been a Cornell season or game string here....I'm surprised to see one this year. I'm hoping it gains traction.

Comment

Due to fortunate scheduling was able to watch all four games this weekend live at Lynah. Quinnipiac women looked very strong: superior puck handling. Princeton was missing four players who were with the Canadian women's Olympic team. Only a stellar performance by Cornell's goalie, Lindsay Browning and a lot of luck (several posts) gave the Red women their 2-0 win.

On the men's side, Cornell's Last week's 11-3 win over RPI had a down side. In a spectacular mid-ice collision, Cornell's Sullivan Mack came off worse: injured, he was a weekend scratch. Similarly goalie Joe Howe didn't play this weekend.

Brown was a pesky team. Cornell is benefitting from the 3 on 3 overtime rule, having won all three OTs so far. Players have remarked that due to COVID restrictions and players taking a semester off, last year almost all practices were short-handed, so they had a lot of experience with 3 on 3s. Attendance was weak again (2362); community members aren't wild about the no season-ticket policy and the vaccination/mask requirements. No Lynah games for nearly two months and it looks as if season tickets may be available for next year's games.

Yale played much better than a winless team. Some strong skaters and Dineen won 12/13 faceoffs. However they were skating only three lines and that took its toll as the game progressed, particularly on penalty kills. Also unhelpful for Yale was Niklas Allain: the coach's son took four penalties and was 1/11 on faceoffs.

Cornell seemed particularly weak in keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Defenders are pretty offensive-minded and don't play the points that well. Several turnovers that Yale couldn't take advantage of.

Offense was spread around with 8 players getting points. Liam Motley, who has not been getting regular playing time was particularly thrilled with his even-strength goal.

Saturday attendance was improved (3448). Busy day on the hill for sports with the last football game and wrestling beginning its season (a nice 30-9 win for Cornell's new coach over former Cornell coach's Stanford team). Highlight was freshman Julian Ramirez's win over nationally No. 1-ranked Shane Griffith at 165 pounds.

Comment

You guys just reload every year, amazing !

Comment

Back home after a NYC trip. The Red Hot Hockey game was a lot of fun. Great atmosphere. Attendance OK (13,160); Cornell half sold out, BU lagged.

Can't say too much about the quality of hockey played. Defenses, goalies mediocre at best. Cornell's penalty kill did well. A couple of spectacular unassisted goals by Locke and Malinski; the latter particularly sweet.

The Cornell team's post-game reactions showed how much it meant to them to win after sitting out last year. They clearly were on top of the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X