Harvard Men's Hockey 2021-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvard Men's Hockey 2021-2022

I think the USCHO changes probably killed things for most people (myself included), but figured what the heck. Perhaps there are some lurkers. What do people think about the upcoming season. I am excited for the team to play meaningful games. Been too long!

Well, not sure what to make of this past weekend. I do feel confident that harvard will be more skilled, score more goals, and have the best PP than anyone in the ECAC. I also know that this is a young team that will take unnecessary penalties and whose forwards, while fast, are not overly physical. Harvard is going to be a very entertaining team to watch. The frosh (freshman and sophomores) are very, very good.

Comment

Hi Both! I started a 2021-'22 thread over the summer to get things going and just noticed your thread here. I'll cancel mine so we don't have crossover.

Comment

I'm wondering, without looking at the archives, if this two game start to the season in terms of goals scored is some kind of record for the Crimson men. Agree with Bothman that the team will score in bunches and be fun to watch. However the youth and taking unnecessary penalties will hurt us against better teams. Big test coming up next weekend against the Big Red.

Comment

Last night was a great game against Cornell. Gibson was the difference and Farrell is going to be really, really special. I thought Thrun had a tough night with giveaways (the puck was bouncing around on him all night). Credit to Cornell who really did a great job in not letting Harvard's PP get set up and really jammed at the blue line so that Harvard could net get the puck in with speed. Cornell does waht Cornell does - lots of work along the boards and guys on the net. Cornell is not as skilled as years past and given this, Cornell taking 38 shots is probably the equivalent of Harvard taking 22. Harvard is going to have a much higher shooting % than Cornell will all year given the relative skill of its forwards.

Harvard is a very young team and I thought last night was a great game for its D and frosh forwards to experience a high end and physical hockey game in front of a great crowd. Harvard let Cornell enter the zone with way too much ease which will get cleaned up in time. There will be the ups and downs that a young team goes through, but I really like this group and think they will threaten for the ECAC title and make the NCAA tourney (likely a year away from doing anything of impact on the national scene).

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
            Last night was a great game against Cornell. Gibson was the difference and Farrell is going to be really, really special. I thought Thrun had a tough night with giveaways (the puck was bouncing around on him all night). Credit to Cornell who really did a great job in not letting Harvard's PP get set up and really jammed at the blue line so that Harvard could net get the puck in with speed. Cornell does waht Cornell does - lots of work along the boards and guys on the net. Cornell is not as skilled as years past and given this, Cornell taking 38 shots is probably the equivalent of Harvard taking 22. Harvard is going to have a much higher shooting % than Cornell will all year given the relative skill of its forwards.

Harvard is a very young team and I thought last night was a great game for its D and frosh forwards to experience a high end and physical hockey game in front of a great crowd. Harvard let Cornell enter the zone with way too much ease which will get cleaned up in time. There will be the ups and downs that a young team goes through, but I really like this group and think they will threaten for the ECAC title and make the NCAA tourney (likely a year away from doing anything of impact on the national scene).

Pretty accurate summary of last night’s game. Harvard obviously has tremendously skilled players, and heading into the game I was concerned that this year’s Cornell team might not be able to stack up. But Cornell more than held its own, and you’re right that Gibson proved to be the difference, particularly his save on Mitchell from the back door late in the 2nd period.

Both teams are pretty young and will continue to improve during the course of the season, and both should be in the ECAC mix along with a handful of others.

Comment

Great weekend for the Crimson. Any time we beat the Big Red, it's special. And how about Alex Lafrieniere? What a game. Harvard is getting contributions up and down the lineup. Makes them tough to defend. As Bothman said, we need to clean up a few things and that will come in time. Bring on the Huskies!

Comment

It seems to me that the time a few of these players spent together with the Chicago Steel is paying off this year in the form of on-ice chemistry. I have been impressed with the passing, and puck movement and quality of shots. I am really enjoying the games and am looking forward to seeing them against the Huskies on Monday.

Comment

Wong's penalties are a problem. Good grief.

Their power play approach is easily foiled by their opponents.

Yes, they are a young team but tonight I couldn't find my rose colored glasses and all I saw were issues to fix.

Ugh. Perhaps you can cheer me up.

Comment

That was an egg. And a young team like Harvard is bound to deliver these from time to time. Harvard is starting something like 11 of 19 where this was their 5th college hockey game.

Credit to Clarkson. And Cheel is never an easy place to play.

couple of observations:
                    - Thrun has to clean things up. 3 games in a row where the turnovers have been tough
                    - pp has become stagnant and predictable. Need more puck movement and more player movement
                    - like to see the d be more aggressive at the defensive blue line. Teams are entering our zone unabated
                    - Harvard needs more forwards in front of the net. Not enough screens and lunch pail goals.

harvard is too much of a finesse team right now. I think they will right the ship against SLU and salvage 2 pts from this tough road trip.
                    Last edited by bothman; 11-13-2021, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                      That was an egg. And a young team like Harvard is bound to deliver these from time to time. Harvard is starting something like 11 of 19 where this was their 5th college hockey game.

Credit to Clarkson. And Cheel is never an easy place to play.

couple of observations:
                      - Thrun has to clean things up. 3 games in a row where the turnovers have been tough
                      - pp has become stagnant and predictable. Need more puck movement and more player movement
                      - like to see the d be more aggressive at the defensive blue line. Teams are entering our zone unabated
                      - Harvard needs more forwards in front of the net. Not enough screens and lunch pail goals.

harvard is too much of a finesse team right now. I think they will right the ship against SLU and salvage 2 pts from this tough road trip.

I agree with all the points you made, particularly the observation that we need to be in front of the net, working for goals in a more physically confrontational way.

Comment

Originally posted by LastRowRegular View Post
                        Wong's penalties are a problem. Good grief.

Their power play approach is easily foiled by their opponents.

Yes, they are a young team but tonight I couldn't find my rose colored glasses and all I saw were issues to fix.

Ugh. Perhaps you can cheer me up.
                        They will get better as the season goes along. Young team trying to find itself after not playing for a year and a half. I’m frankly surprised that they been able to start this quickly. But last nights game was definitely ugly.

On Austin Wong. Ever since he joined the team mid season three years ago, he seems to have a burr in his saddle. He’s taking some really stupid penalties and it’s hard to understand what’s going on. Wish Teddy would sit him down and give him a stern talking to.

Comment

Pretty weak performance tonight. Yes - 2pts. But a lot of “me” hockey and perimeter play. Harvard created few, if any Grade A scoring chances all night, and were content to cycle around the perimeter. Young team, but right now, the chemistry is just not there. And the SLU goal came as a result of two Harvard D being afraid to take the body. I imagine against UMD, that SLU forward may have lost a tooth or two, if he drive to the net with his head down like that.

Comment

Game against BC postponed due to Covid issues at the Heights. Hopefully the game can be made up in January.

Comment

The Crimson dazzled at first, especially twelve NHL draftees. Visions of a Frozen Four appearance at TD Garden in April danced in my head. The team was buzzing around the opponents' net throwing defenses out of sync, making goals seem easy. Edged out by Northeastern and UNH were teachable moments for a young inexperienced team, but versus Brown the lethargic collapse was dispiriting. Eight minutes with a man advantage and no goal! The PP seems far too routine and predictable. Finally things improved in period 1 at the Whale. But the team was on its heals the remainder of the game. We were lucky to pull out a win last night. The team is loaded with talent for sure, but my expectations are reduced as I now expect this to be a rebuilding campaign as we look ahead to the coming couple of seasons. I would love to be surprised!

Comment

Working...
                              X