Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

I hope that home ice in the phony round of the playoffs wasn't really a goal.
    Going to guess that wasn't the goal before... But when it's all you got left to shoot for I guess it becomes a goal... This is what failure looks like, keep modifying your goals downward then miss those goals.
    Last edited by deltabravo62; 02-28-2022, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
      “I’m not going to reflect on what I think or what we are as a group right now. All I know is that we have an opportunity to compete for home ice still in the playoffs. That’s a goal of ours,” Souza said.

Who hired this guy? 2 games left in the regular season and you can't speak to where your team is at?
      The "Blue Skies" pills seem to be freely distributed in the UNH Athletics office.

Please remember folks, all is well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdbp...hannel=Michael
      UNH

Comment

• Since BC and UNH will be playing each other...

If not Souza, who do you guys want? Too soon to take a chance on Ciocco? Ayers? From my perspective Ayers is not the guy.

Comment

• Oversight on my part in mentioning Ciocco. I guess I forgot about Ciocco's boss. Would Scott Borek be on your radar?

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            If not Souza, who do you guys want? Too soon to take a chance on Ciocco? Ayers?
            I’m not going to reflect on what I think or what Souza has done right now. All I know is that we have an opportunity to compete for home ice still in the playoffs.

The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

• [QUOTE=Scott;n3719555]

The "Blue Skies" pills seem to be freely distributed in the UNH Athletics office.

Please remember folks, all is well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdbp...hannel=Michael

lol Scott that is just perfect...! We're all Kevin Bacon right now...ha! As to Josh C...hmmm...have heard varying things about him as a potential coach. One was he wasn't available when the transition was being thought up...another was he had applied for an assistant position and didn't get that....but I don't know the time table on that (even if its true or not....) If anyone has more reliable info on his quest to join the UNH coaching ranks?

All I know is, he seems pretty darn savvy to have drawn up that fake "Michigan" play...Obviously, he's a former Wildcat and has a host of assistant jobs under his belt (sound familiar?). Not knocking him, just what's available. This fan doesn't really know who would be a viable candidate but all I do know is I want a coach with a strong vision for building a consistency in play and game preparation, every.single.game. I don't think that's too much to ask? And I'm also savvy enough to know that holding one's breath on any of this is not advisable (haha).
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-28-2022, 01:06 PM.
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

I’m not going to reflect on what I think or what Souza has done right now. All I know is that we have an opportunity to compete for home ice still in the playoffs.
                We're on to Lowell

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post

We're on to Lowell
                  ...and I'm not going to reflect on how we might do at Lowell; or what adjustments we need to make, just know one thing, we are going to Lowell!

Comment

• Ref, with that last post you sounded like MS, “I’m not going to reflect…” Ha.
                    Thank you so much for posting the link to the article. I always enjoy them and at least get a small sense of the coaches feelings. Small sense being the rule. I used to get so much more info pre and post game. Sea Coast online, the Monitor and the UL always followed the team with individual stories on players, and responses to many of our questions. Apparently we have no connection to any off these sources. They are also ravaged by down circulation and readership. Has Allen Lessels left UNH? He was able to occasionally present a nice piece.
                    But as you all have said. Bring on Lowell! Win Friday to make it a bit less tense.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                      Ref, with that last post you sounded like MS, “I’m not going to reflect…” Ha.
                      Thank you so much for posting the link to the article. I always enjoy them and at least get a small sense of the coaches feelings. Small sense being the rule. I used to get so much more info pre and post game. Sea Coast online, the Monitor and the UL always followed the team with individual stories on players, and responses to many of our questions. Apparently we have no connection to any off these sources. They are also ravaged by down circulation and readership. Has Allen Lessels left UNH? He was able to occasionally present a nice piece.
                      But as you all have said. Bring on Lowell! Win Friday to make it a bit less tense.
                      Not sure what's going on with the press as of the past couple of years. Now and then the seacoastonline will run a story, Union Leader usually has some game coverage (but I'm not paying for that paper) so reading the New Hampshire student news paper, watching for post game pressers on You Tube, maybe catching a glimpse or two from the Wednesday presser Souza usually gives, are pretty much all there is for communication. Of course, UNH Insider writes an article or two about what's happening etc usually its upcoming game coverage and UNH news. Only select press gets to hear the Wednesday presser; it used to be put out to the masses. But when you do that you open up criticism. Truth be told I HATE being critical of this team, if I'm being honest and I know its a bad look to do so when they are doing the best they can I'm sure. They are not...the Bruins....I hope for the best and it pains me to see them down. Gosh knows it's been a lousy couple of years just getting through this mess of a pandemic.

Guess I'm reflecting!

Comment

• From the top on down ...

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        If not Souza, who do you guys want? Too soon to take a chance on Ciocco? Ayers? From my perspective Ayers is not the guy.

Oversight on my part in mentioning Ciocco. I guess I forgot about Ciocco's boss. Would Scott Borek be on your radar?
                        It's funny, until 'Ref posted the link to THN's game story, I wasn't even aware Ciocco was working for Borek at Merrimack. IIRC Ciocco broke the third wall here on USCHO a few times after his UNH playing career was over, although I don't recall what the circumstances may have been at the time. Turns out, he's been with Borek for what is now their 4th season at MC which obviously begs comparison to what MS7 has done in his four years in charge (plus a 3 year apprenticeship) at UNH. Overall, MS7 has a better record in those four seasons ... BUT the trajectory of the MS7 Era at UNH is following a flat line at the lower reaches of HEA, whilst Merrimack has suddenly emerged in Year Four of the Borek Era (without the 3 year head start MS7 enjoyed in Durham) as a program that's looking like a shoe-in for REAL home ice in the HEA Quarters. IF they are the 3rd seed, they'll probably end up with the BC-UNH winner from the MBPBEGAM round.

If anyone remembers Roger Clemens' return to Fenway Park in a Toronto uniform in the late '90's, you'll probably remember the "salute" Roger gave his old boss Dan Duquette up in the pressbox/executive suites area at his old stomping grounds on his way off the mound. I would not begrudge Scotty B. a similar opportunity to "salute" Blue Skies, if UNH were to be so lucky as to advance out of the MBPBEGAM death match (which of course UNH will fail at again).

To answer your basic question J.D. ... the question in my mind isn't so much whether Borek is on UNH's radar, as it is would Borek even contemplate leaving MC to start anew (again) at UNH? Given the history, I doubt it. Borek is 60 years old, and this will almost certainly be his last stop in the head coaching biz. He's finally got things up and running at MC, so he's probably (understandably) invested in seeing his work in North Andover through to its conclusion. So even with Blue Skies bidding UNH adieu shortly, I don't see Borek having the same interest in HC of UNH as he did a decade or so ago.

My guess is, Ciocco would probably jump at the opportunity (still being young, an alum, and now being able to point to some D-1 success on his resume) if/when the UNH job opens up. Borek would probably encourage it even. And if it turns out JC has played a key part in the success of Borek's program as it now stands, I think UNH would be nuts NOT to consider him.

Borek went almost 20 years between HC jobs at D-1 between his dismissal at Lake State, and his hiring by MC. I always dismissed him as a viable D-1 guy, primarily on the basis he didn't do much at Lake State after inheriting the juggernaut program that Jeff Jackson took to the very top (before leaving for the USNTDP, and eventually NICC). If he couldn't keep that LSSU program afloat, there was very little reason to think he could keep UNH relevant at prime Umile Era levels. Now he's gone and done a bottom-to-top rebuild at Merrimack, which is impressive. I'm not sure it's sustainable, but Borek should get some credit for what he's achieved. I didn't think he had it in him, and apparently I was wrong. Kudos Scotty!

J.D. - I'd love to get your insight into why you don't think Ayers would be the guy at UNH?

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        I'm not going to reflect on what I think or what Souza has done right now. All I know is that we have an opportunity to compete for home ice still in the playoffs.
                        Sounds kinda like "It is time for us to do what we have been doing, and that time is every day." ;-)
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Who knows, maybe behind the scenes Ayers is everything Souza isn't. I don't have that type of access. I know he can recruit good goalies. But he is the Associate HC at BC. More is expected of him as a lead assistant at a huge program with what you could call a figurehead HC at this point. He should be running the show in Chestnut Hill and the results in his tenure are just not good enough.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Not sure what's going on with the press as of the past couple of years. Now and then the seacoastonline will run a story, Union Leader usually has some game coverage (but I'm not paying for that paper) so reading the New Hampshire student news paper, watching for post game pressers on You Tube, maybe catching a glimpse or two from the Wednesday presser Souza usually gives, are pretty much all there is for communication. Of course, UNH Insider writes an article or two about what's happening etc usually its upcoming game coverage and UNH news.
                            It's been a lot longer than the "past couple of years", 'Ref. You can probably trace it directly to when BS was hired back at the apex of UNH Hockey. As AD, part of your job is to make sure to get the word out on your various programs, and let the coaches do what they do best - coach the players. Some coaches are better than others with self-promotion (Walshy comes to mind, and even Hubbard as a more contemporary example) but if the AD isn't overseeing media outreach, then he's not doing a huge part of his job - even if it's delegating some/most of that to an SID person. UNH Hockey used to be a money making machine for the U back in the day, and now it's probably (at best) a break-even proposition. All down to one man.

FWIW the best local hockey coverage used to be with Foster's (Dover) before seacoastonline.com swallowed them whole a while ago. I had some great contacts within FDD, and one of their other writers (different sport) was a close personal friend and a HUGE UNH Hockey guy who posted regularly on here, and a loyal collaborator on WIS items when things got hot. To borrow your words, as far as seacoastonline.com, I'm not paying for that $#@+. ;-)

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            Only select press gets to hear the Wednesday presser; it used to be put out to the masses. But when you do that you open up criticism. Truth be told I HATE being critical of this team, if I'm being honest and I know its a bad look to do so when they are doing the best they can I'm sure. They are not...the Bruins....I hope for the best and it pains me to see them down. Gosh knows it's been a lousy couple of years just getting through this mess of a pandemic.
                            Bingo. Just another symptom of a world that's become way too sensitive to criticism, as if criticism doesn't contain valuable kernels of truth that folks who are truly interested in bettering themselves or their organizations should be open to listening to. If UNH and/or its outgoing AD just want to tread water in shallow end of the kiddie pool, this is definitely the way to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Who knows, maybe behind the scenes Ayers is everything Souza isn't. I don't have that type of access. I know he can recruit good goalies. But he is the Associate HC at BC. More is expected of him as a lead assistant at a huge program with what you could call a figurehead HC at this point. He should be running the show in Chestnut Hill and the results in his tenure are just not good enough.
                              Agree with most (if not all) of your points, J.D. Ayers certainly has an opportunity, especially if he is indeed second-in-charge behind York these days, as York has to be swinging somewhere in the vicinity of the 17th fairway/18th teebox in his illustrious career. The downturn (exaggerated this season, likely due to unique circumstances) in recent years from York's apex seasons can't help Ayers, and I'm sure the chirping little maggot down in Storrs is stoking discussion (if anyone even listens to him any more) about how York just isn't the same without him. Please reassure me BC is smart enough not to bring that tool back to The Heights when York finally steps down, please? Rest assured, I'm not rooting for BC, but I do detest that smarmy bast!d.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Gosh knows it's been a lousy couple of years just getting through this mess of a pandemic.
                                The corona has certainly caused disruptions and challenges for college hockey, but this has affected ALL of college hockey. At the end of the day, talent will drive the majority of the results on the ice. Teamwork, effort and puck luck certainly enter the picture, then you have talent. UNH just doesnt have enough of it and hasnt for 7-10 years.

At some point, if the food put on the table sucks, the cook stirring the pot either lacks in proper preparation, has mediocre culinary skills or sucks at bringing in enough high quality ingredients. Go ahead and paint the walls, decrease the restaurant size by 10 feet, install a big screen tv behind the bar, or offer more specials, but at some point, time to put someone new behind the apron. Or you keep eating the same sub-par Whitt food and tell yourself that it tastes just as good as Comm Ave food, though you better not lose sight of the food joints in Grand Forks, Ann Arbor and Duluth.

Comment

Working...
                                X