Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Monday morning "wishful" scenario on the UNH campus:

Prez. Dean calls Scarano to over to his office. Tells Scarano we need to make changes NOW before your successor is hired later this Spring, starting with Men's Hockey. Force Souza's hand and get him to step down immediately, name Guiliano as interim head coach and start a national search for Souza's replacement NOW.

Too ballsy you say? Read this gem from the Maine thread:

https://www.pressherald.com/2022/02/...ketball-coach/

Again...it's "wishful" and not likely to happen. But there's definitely a new culture afoot with our neighbors up in Orono. The question is how long does Prez. Dean want our current "cesspool" to continue to ferment?
    Hey Scott good to see you here and great post. Culture you say? Exactly what is...the culture in Durham specifically in regards to UNH hockey? That's a darn good question. No way this team can play so inconsistently, over the past few years without some kind of reason. I know the first thing that comes to mind might be 'talent' but I'm not buying that completely.

There are a ton of fans that still appreciate this program. They are not operating in a vacuum. Let's hope there's someone out there listening and understanding that piece before its too late. I already know 5 people in my immediate circle that are seriously wondering if they will be STH's and they have been staunch supporters for years. I mean, probably, like me, they will return because (checks notes) 'hope springs eternal'...?
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-19-2022, 11:47 AM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• To Ref’s point, what level of priority do athletics hold at the U? As the most poorly financially supported state institution in the country, academics and the associated issues must take a front and center position. We are very respected in aerospace and ocean research but maintaining everythiNg must be difficult. This is where a strong AD can articulate the role of athletics in creating awareness and development for the entire university.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
        Cmon, folks, you know the old adage… “A four goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey!’
        Your humor struck me as I've been researching every men's college hockey game to do some statistical analysis based on scoring. So far I've completed researching every game for the past four seasons and a 4 goal lead has been almost insurmountable. Through last night's games when a team has taken a 4 goal lead they have a combined record of 227-0-1 this season and 869-1-3 over the past 4 seasons.

Sean
        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
        BU Hockey highlights and extras
        NCAA Hockey Financials
        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Figured I'll knock out a few responses in one fell swoop. First (and best) comes from 'Ref ...

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          I better not hear ONE THING about how tough it is to play at the Alfond as a reason we stunk up the place. Not one. Because then you'd just have to say that it's tough to play at MC, BU, BC, yada yada yada. And now they wanna tear up the 'Whitt because that has become a bad place for the Wildcats to play. Man, look in the mirror.
          'Ref, on the rare occasions you allow yourself to go nuclear, it's always good staff. Take a bow.

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Well amidst all the negatives of last night Nick Cafarelli had a 3 point night...hes been playing well past couple of games. Putting on the blue rimmed glasses take away that horrible first period and we are in this one. And of course that debacle in the 5 min major (sigh that has gone viral) . But you gotta play from the first whistle and that is what Maine did.
          I liken this to the "garbage time" factor that arises at the end of a blowout in hoops. where the guys at the end of the bench get a rare extended slice of playing time, and usually one or two players do a decent job of filling up a box score in a long-resolved, low-scale competitive contest. So, in this instance, it's nice to see Cafarelli coming up with a productive night, at long last. But let's not get carried away, the game was largely settled by the time he chimed in. Maybe he will have made more important impressions on MS7 and his staff, and maybe it will lead to increased ice time tonight to see if he can build further on his Friday night "breakout" performance, under more competitive conditions, with a game hanging in the balance?

I think you realize you don't get to cut out the bad parts of a game, and then insist the good guys played OK otherwise. It just doesn't work that way. What happened last night "after" the bad parts was a scenario where UMaine's early urgency was transferred into a more cautious "let's not give away what we've earned" (i.e. 4 goal lead) and lock down the result.

Whether it's Cafarelli's "breakout" or UNH playing even-up later in the game, it's all fool's gold, until proven otherwise, beyond a "what if?" window here, or window there. But you know that. :-)

Now onto one I'd rather have skipped, but I just can't resist responding to it ...

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          Can we please be respectful of President Dean? He is more than a dean and far from a dictator.
          Darius, I enjoy your posts and respect what you bring to the forum, and I suspect we'd have a blast over beers with hockey talk (and beyond) in-person at some point in the future ... but please, let's not go over the top with the title worship. Dean is a big boy, and I'm sure he can handle a little pushback (and silliness) over the fact that his last name coincides with one of the more prestigious titles in the world of academia. So he will continue to be "Dean Dean" for me, and hopefully this will not hurt his feelings, or adversely impact the esteem he is held in by his colleagues. I have no formed personal opinion on him at this point, any more than I did with his predecessor Huddles-whatever. He is a neutral, and my mind is entirely open to the idea he could be a transformative figure for UNH Athletics IF he nails this next AD hire. Even if he does nail it 100%, he's likely going to remain "Dean Dean" to me. And maybe someday, Dean Presidente will become "President Presidente". Just because, right? ;-)

(signed) Chuck Murray
          Self-appointed WIS President-for-Life
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
            Your humor struck me as I've been researching every men's college hockey game to do some statistical analysis based on scoring. So far I've completed researching every game for the past four seasons and a 4 goal lead has been almost insurmountable. Through last night's games when a team has taken a 4 goal lead they have a combined record of 227-0-1 this season and 869-1-3 over the past 4 seasons.

Sean
            So you’re saying there was a chance?
            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• We’ll speak of the devil, Margel starting on the left side of the third line.

Comment

Sean
                Any bets that UNH was the one team on the wrong side of the blown four goal lead game?

FWIW I remember getting a rash of crap on here a couple years ago when UNH blew a 3 goal lead late in the 2nd period/early in the 3rd period of a postseason game (likely the MBPBEGAM round?) against UMass, I blew my top, and several folks said it was basically "no big deal". Uh, yeah, blowing any lead is a big deal, especially blowing a late 3 goal lead in the postseason.

That was early in the MS7 reign, it hasn't happened again since, so we got that going for us ... ;-)
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                  Just when we all thought…..
                  I think we are a bit off track when we expect the mens hockey team to be front and center on the Prez radar. When you are at the top of the mountain there are hundreds of these “ most important issues” This is why you have an AD. Full agreement that there something terribly wrong with this situation. Far more gifted that the results would indicate yet so terribly inconsistent and under preforming. If our coach is in year 4 my guess is he has 2 more years. It would be nice to get more of a sense of urgency from all levels as next year could see far more scoring and other issues.
                  If it is, it is for reasons we ain’t gonna like.

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Darius, I enjoy your posts and respect what you bring to the forum, and I suspect we'd have a blast over beers with hockey talk (and beyond) in-person at some point in the future ... but please, let's not go over the top with the title worship. Dean is a big boy, and I'm sure he can handle a little pushback (and silliness) over the fact that his last name coincides with one of the more prestigious titles in the world of academia. So he will continue to be "Dean Dean" for me, and hopefully this will not hurt his feelings, or adversely impact the esteem he is held in by his colleagues. I have no formed personal opinion on him at this point, any more than I did with his predecessor Huddles-whatever. He is a neutral, and my mind is entirely open to the idea he could be a transformative figure for UNH Athletics IF he nails this next AD hire. Even if he does nail it 100%, he's likely going to remain "Dean Dean" to me. And maybe someday, Dean Presidente will become "President Presidente". Just because, right? ;-)

(signed) Chuck Murray
                    Self-appointed WIS President-for-Life
                    Or respect. Whatever. I’ve met and chatted with him twice, once at a hockey event. Very nice, kind, caring, intelligent man. I doubt very much he reads or even knows this forum exists and if he does he is smart enough to know it is the internet and all views and the ways they are expressed here are not representative of the entire UNH fan base. His predecessor, Mark Huddleston was the longest serving and arguably best President in UNH history. P-Hudd had only one nickname.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                      We’ll speak of the devil, Margel starting on the left side of the third line.
                      Yep. Had a a nagging injury going on.
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Sean
                        From 2002-2003 season through 2020-2021:
                        Jan 12 2005 vs Dartmouth in Manchester
                        UNH up 7-3, lost 8-9
                        http://collegehockeystats.net/0405/boxes/mdarunh1.j12

Dec 11 2008 vs Holy Cross
                        UNH up 4-0, Holy Cross ties it 4-4, UNH scores 5 goals to win 9-4
                        http://collegehockeystats.net/0809/boxes/mhcrunh1.d11

Nov 22 2011 vs Harvard
                        UNH up 4-0, lost 6-7
                        http://collegehockeystats.net/1112/boxes/mharunh1.n22

Nov 23 2012 vs Colorado College
                        UNH up 4-0, tied 4-4
                        http://collegehockeystats.net/1213/boxes/mcc_unh1.n23

**BLOWN 5 GOAL LEAD**
                        Oct 23 2015 vs UMass
                        UNH up 6-1, tied 6-6
                        http://collegehockeystats.net/1516/boxes/mumaunh1.o23

Jan 6 2018 vs Brown
                        UNH up 4-0, tied 4-4
                        http://collegehockeystats.net/1718/boxes/mbrnunh1.j06

Jan 5 2019 vs Yale
                        Yale up 4-0, UNH ties 5-5
                        http://www.collegehockeystats.net/18...s/munhyal1.j05

Feb 13 2021 vs NU
                        NU up 4-0, UNH ties it 4-4, NU wins 5-4
                        http://www.collegehockeystats.net/20...s/mnoeunh1.f13
                        Last edited by ClOuD 9; 02-19-2022, 02:31 PM.
                        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Any bets that UNH was the one team on the wrong side of the blown four goal lead game?

FWIW I remember getting a rash of crap on here a couple years ago when UNH blew a 3 goal lead late in the 2nd period/early in the 3rd period of a postseason game (likely the MBPBEGAM round?) against UMass, I blew my top, and several folks said it was basically "no big deal". Uh, yeah, blowing any lead is a big deal, especially blowing a late 3 goal lead in the postseason.

That was early in the MS7 reign, it hasn't happened again since, so we got that going for us ... ;-)
                          1st round v UMass...lost 5-4 and lost next night 6-0. What was the 'no big deal'? It's always a 'big deal' when you blow a lead.. I remember that game; thinking this would be a great start to the tournament knowing full well how jacked UMass was. As Cloud 9 pointed out, the most fun was the 5 goal lead. That was the night my husband threatened to take the computer away from me if I didn't calm down..one of my more 'nuclear' nights Chuck (and, I do delete alot of 'nuclear posts' too...haha)

And Just In Case You Missed It
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-19-2022, 02:45 PM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

UNH led Miami 3-0, finished 4-4
                            http://www.collegehockeystats.net/19...s/mmiaunh1.o12

They also fought back from down 3-0 to UConn, tied it at 3-3, then lost 7-4
                            http://www.collegehockeystats.net/19...s/mconunh1.j31

And fought back from 6-3 down against Lowell to win 7-6 in OT. Crookshank scored a hat trick.
                            http://www.collegehockeystats.net/20...s/mumlunh1.f06
                            "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                            Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                            NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                            EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                            AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

No, it was the team most HE fans love to hate.

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              While not nearly as insurmountable as a 4 goal lead, it's still a steep cliff to climb. Over the past 4 seasons teams that have taken a 3 goal lead are a combined 1719-33-24. Oddly, 14 of the ties occurred during the 2019-20 season, while 14 of the losses occurred during the current season.

In postseason play over the past 4 seasons (which is really 2+ seasons), teams with a 3 goal lead have gone 92-3, with 3 of the winning teams blowing the said lead before eventually winning. The three teams to blow a 3 goal lead are the already mentioned UNH vs UMass, Minnesota State vs PC and the above referenced team that blew the 4 goal lead.

So, yes, blowing a 3 goal lead is a big deal, especially in the postseason. However, a 1 goal lead not so much, as when the largest lead over the past 4 seasons has been just 1 goal the combined records of all teams is just 718-873-302.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Shout out to Watcher! You have been waiting for the C-man’s arrival and he is here in spades.

Comment

Working...
                                X