Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    Only issue is that he was just signed to a very long-term contract as a coach.
    No reason the contract couldn't be renegotiated to adjust for the additional duties as AD.

Hubbard would get a handsome raise, and UNH would probably save half a full AD's salary.

Win-win, no? I don't see it as an "issue" in the least, unless Hubbard isn't interested ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

No reason the contract couldn't be renegotiated to adjust for the additional duties as AD.

Hubbard would get a handsome raise, and UNH would probably save half a full AD's salary.

Win-win, no? I don't see it as an "issue" in the least, unless Hubbard isn't interested ...
      I would think managing a major (and highly successful) D1 soccer program would be way too much on top of AD duties...? There are high schools that have ADs who teach and coach but those are few and far in between.

It's a huge all encompassing job even at that level from what I've garnered over the years. But hey its an intriguing idea!
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        I would think managing a major (and highly successful) D1 soccer program would be way too much on top of AD duties...? There are high schools that have ADs who teach and coach but those are few and far in between.

It's a huge all encompassing job even at that level from what I've garnered over the years. But hey its an intriguing idea!
        There used to be a handful of D-1 football coaches who doubled as AD for their schools. Given 'dc's prior response, I don't know if it's even allowed these days? The only way it can work is if you have lots of help (1) on the recruiting front with the program you are coaching, and (2) on the administrative front for the AD job while you are taking care of coaching your own program. You'll notice I made provisions for (2) in my original pitch, admitting Hubbard as AD would likely require his own version of what Steve Metcalf a/k/a Commish Nigel did for MS+infinity.

Totally understand this is a little "outside the box" thinking, but Hubbard is basically a townie and shapes up as a UNH lifer. The earnings potential in the US for what he does is pretty much at or very close to max in his current situation, he already has signaled that with his long-term extension, and being a dual AD is the only realistic "promotion" he can aspire to here in his hometown. He has proven his abilities to coach successfully at two unlikely stops, which tells me he understands what is important to a program's success, and what is just window-dressing or belly-aching. He is still a relatively young man, so he has the energy to pull this off IF he has any interest in doing so. To me, the only question is, does Hubbard want the AD job?

What "sells" me on Hubbard as a candidate is his likely ability to basically call BS on underperforming current coaches AND underqualified or under-ambitious future coaching candidates, just based on his own personal life experiences. If there's another way to tap into that expertise without giving him the AD tag, I'm all ears ... but without the AD tag, assuming you make him an official OR unofficial "advisor" to the new AD, (1) he's not likely to be compensated justly for that expertise, and (2) he may be loathe to be frank with his assessments of peers and colleagues, as he would not be as their superior?

I've tried to talk myself out of this pitch a few times already, but if the idea is that it's all "too much for one guy", I get that ... BUT there are ways to address that. And Hubbard has been doing "way too much" as a coaching lifestyle for a long time, it's what's made him so successful, so this won't require a huge lifestyle change on his part. Our paths crossed briefly, early in time at SNHU, where he was pretty much a one-man show - coaching, recruiting, publicity, etc. I was coaching younger kids at that point, nowhere near college (on the cusp of HS actually), but Hubbard was out making connections with youth clubs all over the state (and probably beyond, based on the length of the e-mail lists I received?), keeping folks informed about his program, and inviting groups to come see games in Hooksett. We brought a half-dozen kids over to his games, and even an offseason event that SNHU hosted with national team-level women's players. I wasn't even aware of who he was at the time, or that he'd already been a UNH assistant. I did see a young man with lots of passion and lots of energy for what he was doing, and it's pretty apparent he's had a vision of what it takes to be successful for a long time ... and that vision has gotten him (now UNH) to a place no one - and I mean NO ONE (except him) - ever thought remotely possible.

IF he wants it, he's got my vote. JMHO.

Comment

There used to be a handful of D-1 football coaches who doubled as AD for their schools. Given 'dc's prior response, I don't know if it's even allowed these days? The only way it can work is if you have lots of help (1) on the recruiting front with the program you are coaching, and (2) on the administrative front for the AD job while you are taking care of coaching your own program. You'll notice I made provisions for (2) in my original pitch, admitting Hubbard as AD would likely require his own version of what Steve Metcalf a/k/a Commish Nigel did for MS+infinity.

Totally understand this is a little "outside the box" thinking, but Hubbard is basically a townie and shapes up as a UNH lifer. The earnings potential in the US for what he does is pretty much at or very close to max in his current situation, he already has signaled that with his long-term extension, and being a dual AD is the only realistic "promotion" he can aspire to here in his hometown. He has proven his abilities to coach successfully at two unlikely stops, which tells me he understands what is important to a program's success, and what is just window-dressing or belly-aching. He is still a relatively young man, so he has the energy to pull this off IF he has any interest in doing so. To me, the only question is, does Hubbard want the AD job?

What "sells" me on Hubbard as a candidate is his likely ability to basically call BS on underperforming current coaches AND underqualified or under-ambitious future coaching candidates, just based on his own personal life experiences. If there's another way to tap into that expertise without giving him the AD tag, I'm all ears ... but without the AD tag, assuming you make him an official OR unofficial "advisor" to the new AD, (1) he's not likely to be compensated justly for that expertise, and (2) he may be loathe to be frank with his assessments of peers and colleagues, as he would not be as their superior?

I've tried to talk myself out of this pitch a few times already, but if the idea is that it's all "too much for one guy", I get that ... BUT there are ways to address that. And Hubbard has been doing "way too much" as a coaching lifestyle for a long time, it's what's made him so successful, so this won't require a huge lifestyle change on his part. Our paths crossed briefly, early in time at SNHU, where he was pretty much a one-man show - coaching, recruiting, publicity, etc. I was coaching younger kids at that point, nowhere near college (on the cusp of HS actually), but Hubbard was out making connections with youth clubs all over the state (and probably beyond, based on the length of the e-mail lists I received?), keeping folks informed about his program, and inviting groups to come see games in Hooksett. We brought a half-dozen kids over to his games, and even an offseason event that SNHU hosted with national team-level women's players. I wasn't even aware of who he was at the time, or that he'd already been a UNH assistant. I did see a young man with lots of passion and lots of energy for what he was doing, and it's pretty apparent he's had a vision of what it takes to be successful for a long time ... and that vision has gotten him (now UNH) to a place no one - and I mean NO ONE (except him) - ever thought remotely possible.

IF he wants it, he's got my vote. JMHO.
          Totally makes sense that a high achieving coach would be cognizant to those who might not be 'making the mark' as it were. Whomever UNH brings in for the job hopefully will be very interested in restoring the premiere sport on campus which had been, UNH hockey. I assume that UNH coaches are evaluated prior to receiving extensions, right? Souza must be up for one soon. If so, am betting the ranch he gets it prior to Marty leaving, then what, 3 more years of what? I'd like to say that I would really like/love to see Mike Souza succeed fwiw dept... (if 3 years is the typical extension, no idea...) I do remain hopeful but 3 years from now, if that's the case...and if we are in the same boat...Things that make you go hmmmm.
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-17-2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Totally makes sense that a high achieving coach would be cognizant to those who might not be 'making the mark' as it were. Whomever UNH brings in for the job hopefully will be very interested in restoring the premiere sport on campus which had been, UNH hockey. I assume that UNH coaches are evaluated prior to receiving extensions, right? Souza must be up for one soon. If so, am betting the ranch he gets it prior to Marty leaving, then what, 3 more years of what? I'd like to say that I would really like/love to see Mike Souza succeed fwiw dept... (if 3 years is the typical extension, no idea...) I do remain hopeful but 3 years from now, if that's the case...and if we are in the same boat...Things that make you go hmmmm.
            Wow, and here I thought I was the hardened cynic in the bunch. Extensions granted by officially outgoing AD's?!? Is this the Mafia or something ... oh, wait, yeah right, now I see. I'll pass on some low hanging fruit opportunities to discuss qualifications in these "evaluations", 'Ref. Fuggedaboudit. ;-)

In any ordinary situation (and I'll graciously include post-BS UNH in that category), extensions granted by an outgoing AD should be a very rare occurrence, and need to have sign-offs at least one further level up the chain of command, lest the new AD get saddled by the largesse of his predecessor, handing out sweetheart deals to his former hires.

Objectively, and all kidding aside ... not knowing MS7's current contract situation, but let's say he's coming due either at the end of this season, or the end of next season ... based on feedback from 'Watcher in his timetable discussion a page or two ago, I think we have to be resigned to the likelihood that no matter what happens the rest of this season, MS7 will have at least one more season to prove himself to his new boss. Extension-wise, the impact would potentially be as follows:

* If MS7's deal is up after this season ... most likely, short of abject disaster down the stretch, the new AD may extend him a year (through '22/'23) so the AD can closely observe first-person how MS7 and his crew are doing their jobs, and impact on the program, pro or con. OR MS7 could get canned right out of the chute, kind of as the new AD's statement of intent. Being coach of the "flagship" team can cut both ways in this scenario. But that doesn't seem to be the UNH Way. Even if UNH has an unexpectedly strong finish, I doubt it goes beyond a single year extension, short of a trip to the FF, as there's nothing to warrant that kind of patience in his tenure at UNH to date. My guess is UNH's strong January surge likely bought MS7 some additional time (i.e. one year). I don't think MS7's track record earns him anything more than that;

* If MS7's deal is up after next season ... the need for an extension now pretty much disappears, and the more rash route of firing him right out of the chute just ends up costing UNH a little more in terms of settling out the final year of the contract. It's not that rare to see a coach going into the final year of his contract without an extension. Terrific motivator, for sure.

* If MS7's deal has two or more years left to run ... well, Houston, we have a problem. The buyout option at least doubles the cost of doing business now (if not more, the longer the length of the current deal). Depending on the finances/budget, this could lead to MS7 lingering longer, and if the mediocre results continue, you as AD are forced to wait until the financial picture gives you an opportunity to pull the plug. Or if something really bad happens (see the trumped-up McCloskey, Brian scenario) to gift the AD additional leverage to get UNH out from under what they perceive to be a liability.

I honestly cannot wrap my head around any realistic scenario where a 3 year extension would be warranted at this point, 'Ref. Especially since MS7 comes into the new AD's tenure without much to make his case. Can you imagine, taking my longshot new AD example, MS7 walking into his first meeting with AD Hubbard and whining about how the size of the ice surface is hindering the hockey program?? Hubbard would probably burst out laughing, can MS7 on the spot, and then hire him back as a court jester/admin assistant for his department, just for providing that kind of next level entertainment, no?!?

Again, this is all just guesswork, and anyone with any insight into the actual details of the situation is welcome here to give us all the benefit of that insight. Might make MS7 sore, but he's really in no position to kvetch, he's ultimately going to be at the mercy of the new AD regardless, and more so than any other coach on UNH's payroll. See my earlier "flagship" comments ...

Comment

• Who's going to get off the bus? The team we saw v UVM, or, the team we saw v UML? Hopefully its the latter. Too bad we can't do a thread about the game like in the past. Would be up there if I had someone to travel with/go to the game with. My first trip to Alfond I went alone, pretty brave in the winter of 2014 as a newbie fan. Too afraid to wear any UNH gear (my husband's advice) as I recall except my old 'Cat hat (which I do not know where that is). I remember walking into the place and it was just wild. Loads of people. Huge student section hanging over the ice with the sign "Casey deSieve" hanging down. (I also remember another cardboard cut out a few seasons later but won't discuss that). Sat in a great seat I paid $50.00 for. Was asked by the nice couple sitting next to me how I ended up with said seat as 'only the scouts sit there'. I don't think they found out I was a UNH fan until we scored first (Kevin G as I recall). Maine had some great players of their own; Hutton, Shore and would have to look up who was in goal for them at the time.

Nick Sorkin turns over the puck in the third and...they get the go ahead. UNH lost that night 2-1. Was a really cold day heading home; drove up 95 in a blinding snow storm, I mean blinding. Was shocked when I was at a rest area and the next sign on the road (after it felt like I had been driving for hours) says "Orono 95 miles". Anyway it was an interesting night. But that trip even though we lost sealed the deal for me that I would have to become a season ticket holder the next year; it really made an impression on me. Have been back I think maybe 3 more times...have seen UNH tie up there but not win. DTirone had some decent nights at Alfond and TyK had their number as I recall but UMaine has the series all time wins there according to the UNH Insider's article today (does not include any games at Portland). I really hope we have a 'white out the 'Whitt' game next season been too long.

A great rivalry perhaps not what it once was, but to these guys playing this weekend it still means a hell of a lot. For our new players it will be their introduction to the Alfond and to hear the 'University of No Hardware' cheers and see the 'We got Two How about You' signs not to mention the student section (and great band UMaine has) right on top of you. To them it's going to feel just as electric as it did in past years, regardless of how good either team is, or what their current record is. I hope its everything its always been cracked up to be for them. It will be the last time for the Seniors, 5th year players most likely going there as well. Bring your best game boys! This is the stuff the memories are made of.

So...who's going to get off the bus?
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-17-2022, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Wow, and here I thought I was the hardened cynic in the bunch. Extensions granted by officially outgoing AD's?!? Is this the Mafia or something ... oh, wait, yeah right, now I see. I'll pass on some low hanging fruit opportunities to discuss qualifications in these "evaluations", 'Ref. Fuggedaboudit. ;-)

In any ordinary situation (and I'll graciously include post-BS UNH in that category), extensions granted by an outgoing AD should be a very rare occurrence, and need to have sign-offs at least one further level up the chain of command, lest the new AD get saddled by the largesse of his predecessor, handing out sweetheart deals to his former hires.

Objectively, and all kidding aside ... not knowing MS7's current contract situation, but let's say he's coming due either at the end of this season, or the end of next season ... based on feedback from 'Watcher in his timetable discussion a page or two ago, I think we have to be resigned to the likelihood that no matter what happens the rest of this season, MS7 will have at least one more season to prove himself to his new boss. Extension-wise, the impact would potentially be as follows:

* If MS7's deal is up after this season ... most likely, short of abject disaster down the stretch, the new AD may extend him a year (through '22/'23) so the AD can closely observe first-person how MS7 and his crew are doing their jobs, and impact on the program, pro or con. OR MS7 could get canned right out of the chute, kind of as the new AD's statement of intent. Being coach of the "flagship" team can cut both ways in this scenario. But that doesn't seem to be the UNH Way. Even if UNH has an unexpectedly strong finish, I doubt it goes beyond a single year extension, short of a trip to the FF, as there's nothing to warrant that kind of patience in his tenure at UNH to date. My guess is UNH's strong January surge likely bought MS7 some additional time (i.e. one year). I don't think MS7's track record earns him anything more than that;

* If MS7's deal is up after next season ... the need for an extension now pretty much disappears, and the more rash route of firing him right out of the chute just ends up costing UNH a little more in terms of settling out the final year of the contract. It's not that rare to see a coach going into the final year of his contract without an extension. Terrific motivator, for sure.

* If MS7's deal has two or more years left to run ... well, Houston, we have a problem. The buyout option at least doubles the cost of doing business now (if not more, the longer the length of the current deal). Depending on the finances/budget, this could lead to MS7 lingering longer, and if the mediocre results continue, you as AD are forced to wait until the financial picture gives you an opportunity to pull the plug. Or if something really bad happens (see the trumped-up McCloskey, Brian scenario) to gift the AD additional leverage to get UNH out from under what they perceive to be a liability.

I honestly cannot wrap my head around any realistic scenario where a 3 year extension would be warranted at this point, 'Ref. Especially since MS7 comes into the new AD's tenure without much to make his case. Can you imagine, taking my longshot new AD example, MS7 walking into his first meeting with AD Hubbard and whining about how the size of the ice surface is hindering the hockey program?? Hubbard would probably burst out laughing, can MS7 on the spot, and then hire him back as a court jester/admin assistant for his department, just for providing that kind of next level entertainment, no?!?

Again, this is all just guesswork, and anyone with any insight into the actual details of the situation is welcome here to give us all the benefit of that insight. Might make MS7 sore, but he's really in no position to kvetch, he's ultimately going to be at the mercy of the new AD regardless, and more so than any other coach on UNH's payroll. See my earlier "flagship" comments ...
                I have no idea really why I even wrote that post; I do not know the ins and outs of Coach Souza's contract. Really have no malice towards the guy; just thinking out loud about how the outgoing AD extended Hubbard so he must have been up for that extension? Like you said, we don't know where Souza is in his contract, and, I'd doubt we'll see any Twitter posts about it like we saw Hubbard's when the time comes? I don't recall seeing any post in the most recent past about any UNH coaches being extended like the recent one regarding Hubbard. Maybe because he is the most successful of coaches at the moment? I follow UNH athletics fairly closely and maybe I missed something but I don't recall seeing any other coaches extension announcements.

Regardless of all of that you are most likely correct in that it will be up to the new AD to determine his ultimate fate and of course he's going to have a year (or more?) to make his case. We will most likely never know....I hope that the team has a decent end of the season whatever that may be. I hate to come off at cynical maybe I should find my pom poms. Got a chuckle at the UML games looked across the ice from where we sit and yep, a couple of fans (and they were not little kids) had some.
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-18-2022, 02:42 AM.

Comment

• Extending Coach Hubbard was the biggest coaching retainer no-brainer for any UNH AD since the middle of the MacDonnell regime. For the guy heading out the door to retirement in Upstate NY ... other than major work on campus athletic facilities, he's pretty much got nothing left to show for on-field success as he leaves, EXCEPT Men's Soccer. So he grabbed it, and only crazy people would have tried to talk him out of it. No complaints about the process here.

Comment

• I was delighted to see that UNH locked up Hubbard as I was concerned some Big-10 or Pac-12 school with deep pockets might give him a ring. Looking forward to following that top tier program for years to come.

Comment

• Excited for the at Maine back to back this weekend. I had a run of missing games after the break and finally got to tune back in to see that nice win vs. UML. Glad I missed the shutout up in Burlington.

I'd imagine this weekend has been circled on the UMaine hockey calendar for quite some time, so I don't the Ws will come easy, but tonight I've got UNH winning 3-1. Wouldn't be surprised to see either Develin and/or Cronin pot one. I think it's a close one until UNH seals it with an empty netter. Glad the game is on NESN as well.

I think Maine will struggle to score this weekend. It's just whether or not UNH will also share those same struggles.

Comment

• I can feel your prediction teez. We have trouble on the road but feel we are the better team.

And to Ref, who will get off the bus? Last weekend was so hard to grasp. How can a team occupy two such different ends of the spectrum? Also wondering what is up will Will Margel. Liked his early play but then he suddenly disappeared. It is always good to see freshman get that first year of experience under their belt. Assuming it is an injury but the last couple of years have been so quiet. Just not getting the media coverage we did in “those days”.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                          I can feel your prediction teez. We have trouble on the road but feel we are the better team.

And to Ref, who will get off the bus? Last weekend was so hard to grasp. How can a team occupy two such different ends of the spectrum? Also wondering what is up will Will Margel. Liked his early play but then he suddenly disappeared. It is always good to see freshman get that first year of experience under their belt. Assuming it is an injury but the last couple of years have been so quiet. Just not getting the media coverage we did in “those days”.
                          Funny you bring up Will Margel was just wondering what was up with him…not sure when he played last Clarkson maybe? Yeah news isn’t as available as it had been given the very few sound bites from the Wednesday pressers. Obviously we fans can’t be privy to everything esp player info which is deemed private.

As for the weekend I’m ready for 2 close games. Maine played UMass tough and while I hate to use a venue as a reason they do play well there and our road record is what it is. That said I believe if the boys come to play a full 60 I’m feeling good about their chances…

Comment

• It was 20 years ago that my daughter first mentioned to me that UNH was good at playing down to a bad teams level. Guess we have seen that more than we like these past few years. And while we have heard them say it before, the team appears to know that they really need these coming games for a number of reasons.
                            Go Cats!

Comment

• Welp guess we know who got off the bus...sigh.

Comment

• Looks like Souza really had the boys ready for this one...

Comment

Working...
                                X