Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    That's a fair take to a point, Felgie ... but aren't we pretty much saying the same thing? With my " ... and then some" being aimed at how Umile stayed WAY too long, as opposed to Holt staying around a little too long? Your description of the quick downward turn during the last few years of the Holt Era, and his relatively quick decision to step down ... that all happened, and Umile could (and should) have used that as a cautionary tale for himself to learn from. My point has always been that Umile didn't learn. There was/is no intention on my part to disparage the Holt legacy, anything but.

A few posts ago, 'Watcher commented about how he accepts coaches "staying too long" most of the time as part of the overall package with a successful coach. I pretty much agree with his take on it. From a common sense standpoint, a coach that has enjoyed success regularly will usually overestimate his ability to maintain or recapture that success, and if there's a downturn, most likely will soldier on for a couple of years to give himself an opportunity to prove himself "wrong". I think that's what Coach Holt (and many others, before and since) ended up doing, and when the program continued to (rapidly) drop, he made the tough decision to call it a day. No shame in that, it happens to even the best, "we're only immortal for a limited time".

Coach Umile's arc was different, as you pointed out, and I do agree with you on that. Umile's decline was more like the example of a lobster being dropped into a kettle of lukewarm water, thinking everything was OK, since the last year was just about the same as the one before it, with maybe some gradual slippage over time ... just as the lobster doesn't recognize a slight increase in the water temp as the kettle is gradually brought up to a boil. Of course, there is a point where the lobster figures out (too late!) that he's not getting out of the kettle alive, and even for Coach Umile's slow and gradual descent over the decade or so after his last trip to the FF, he had plenty of time to self-assess and realize he wasn't getting back to the FF.

Yet he ignored the example of Coach Holt stepping away with dignity, persisted in his folly for whatever personal reasons he had, and now his legacy is tarnished with posts like so many on here over the last several years, pointing at his stubbornness as the reason why his alma mater's hockey program is stuck in a ditch for the foreseeable future.

Furthermore, Coach Holt stepping down allowed new blood to return the program to his past glories much more quickly, while Coach Umile's approach (selfish or narcissistic - you choose) only made his successor's job more difficult. If said successor is without a plan and/or a dynamic recruiting-friendly personality, well then, the task gets even more challenging, doesn't it?

Just to be clear, Coach Umile had most of it over Coach Holt when it comes to the measurables (i.e wins, titles, trophies and close calls with the NC at the FF). But Coach Holt had it by a country mile over Coach Umile when it came to the intangibles, which was ultimately acting in the long-term interests of a successful D-1 hockey program in Durham.

Hope that clarifies things to your liking, Felgie ...
    We're pretty much on the same page Chuck. I was particularly drawn to your take about the women's soccer HC being a potential casualty of the change in ADs given the PC world we live in...speaks to what I was referring to as the larger more real world problems potentially facing the hockey program now.

What has struck me over the past few years has been how more and more removed we are from any positive developments in the program. The Whittemore Center opened less than a decade after Coach Holt retired. I believe they have now played in the Whitt almost as long as they did in Snively, and there is no new facility on the horizon to jump start things.

Also I can remember driving home from Albany in 1998 after they finally got over the hump and returned to the Frozen Four, thinking about how it had been 16 years since getting there. We are now 19 years removed from Buffalo and its not like they have been knocking on the door the past decade.
    Last edited by Felger; 01-04-2022, 01:49 PM.
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• To paraphrase another coach whose college tenures didnt usually end in the best light, but he ALWAYS sold the school to talent and DELIVERED results while he was there, - "Larry Bird aint walking thru that door!" At UNH, could substitute Krog, Haydar, Cox, etc in this phrase. Heck, at this point in the "rebuild", most fans would easily settle for a Tom Nolan or Steve Saviano walking thru the door.
      Last edited by Whalers; 01-04-2022, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
        To paraphrase another coach whose college tenures didnt usually end in the best light, but he ALWAYS sold the school to talent and DELIVERED results while he was there, - "Larry Bird aint walking thru that door!" At UNH, could substitute Krog, Haydar, Cox, etc in this phrase. Heck, at this point in the "rebuild", most fans would easily settle for a Tom Nolan or Steve Saviano walking thru the door.
        It never ceases to blow my mind how Saviano was seen as a recruiting afterthought at the time, basically almost as a bonus meant to ensure his Reading HS teammate Sean Collins would follow in his footsteps. An absolute diamond in the rough, in the right place at the right time ... and that's what happens with a winning program. Winning begets winning, just as losing begets losing. And mediocrity usually begets more mediocrity, but more often, it also devolves into a losing pattern as well.

Saviano just turned 40 a few months ago. I have no idea what he's doing, now that he's finally hung up the skates after a long pro career across Europe. I'm struck by the fact that while he was a fierce two-way competitor, he never racked up more than the 18 PIM's he accrued in his junior season at UNH - including all of those pro seasons that followed. An overachiever, and a total class act on and off the ice ... if he had interest in taking one of the assistant jobs at UNH (including volunteer assistant) I'd give him an opportunity in a heartbeat. His story, and his character, would speak volumes to me ...

Postscript - Saviano is working locally in the mortgage/finance field post-retirement
        Last edited by Chuck Murray; 01-04-2022, 06:45 PM.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Welp, there goes my Friday night:

Breaking: UNH’s Men’s Hockey game against St. Lawrence this Friday the 7th in Durham has been canceled and will not be made up. St. Lawrence is also canceling their game against Merrimack the following night. #betheroar @TNHSports1911 @UNHMHOCKEY

I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Welp, there goes my Friday night:
            Breaking: UNH's Men's Hockey game against St. Lawrence this Friday the 7th in Durham has been canceled and will not be made up. St. Lawrence is also canceling their game against Merrimack the following night. #betheroar @TNHSports1911 @UNHMHOCKEY
            Seems like SLU has a "problem" here. Why not UNH v. Merrimack to keep both teams active?

Meanwhile, 'Bama and Georgia will be meeting on Monday night at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis in front of 70,000+ friends and family. Wonder if the roof and/or window will be left open??

Comment

Seems like SLU has a "problem" here. Why not UNH v. Merrimack to keep both teams active?

Meanwhile, 'Bama and Georgia will be meeting on Monday night at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis in front of 70,000+ friends and family. Wonder if the roof and/or window will be left open??
              Merrimack and Clarkson are (supposedly) playing Friday while UNH and Clarkson are (supposedly) playing Saturday.

Comment

As my Alabama-born-and-bred wife and in-laws (all Auburn grads, by the way) will tell you - if this is the LAST thing these 70,000 people do before they get attached to a vent and then ultimately detached and rolled into a casket, most of them are pretty much perfectly fine with that. If they check out on the heels of a win, even better!! SEC mindset!!! ;-)

Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Wildcatdc, you are so right about the SEC mindset. What I was surprised about n your post was that you didn’t add, was the fact that your family of War Eagles fans would be extra happy about is that at least half of those would be @*$#& Bama fans! Correct? And Satan would finally be gone!

Comment

• I half heartedly expect Clarkson to cancel very soon as well. That’s what I’ve heard being rumored. But don’t take my word for it.

Comment

• So let's pkay Dartmouth at our house...I wanna rematch. Delta B told me their weekend was lost due to covid with RPI players...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Welp, there goes my Friday night:

Breaking: UNH’s Men’s Hockey game against St. Lawrence this Friday the 7th in Durham has been canceled and will not be made up. St. Lawrence is also canceling their game against Merrimack the following night. #betheroar @TNHSports1911 @UNHMHOCKEY
                        I can see the add verbiage “Looking for mens hockey team to play Friday night. Add a W to your schedule we promise we will only score a goal”.

Was there an email that went out? I didn’t get one as a STH but can get 3 surveys a week on how was the game.

I want to know the refund policy not more tickets to another game

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post

I can see the add verbiage “Looking for mens hockey team to play Friday night. Add a W to your schedule we promise we will only score a goal”.

Was there an email that went out? I didn’t get one as a STH but can get 3 surveys a week on how was the game.

I want to know the refund policy not more tickets to another game
                          I saw it on Twitter...but there is also an email from UNH athletics. Don't think it was specific to STH's.

Comment

• Originally posted by CLKHockey View Post
                            I half heartedly expect Clarkson to cancel very soon as well. That’s what I’ve heard being rumored. But don’t take my word for it.
                            Worse case you can play MC. Not sure they want to come up for 2 though.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                              As my Alabama-born-and-bred wife and in-laws (all Auburn grads, by the way) will tell you - if this is the LAST thing these 70,000 people do before they get attached to a vent and then ultimately detached and rolled into a casket, most of them are pretty much perfectly fine with that. If they check out on the heels of a win, even better!! SEC mindset!!! ;-)
                              Doubting there will be any runs on vents OR caskets, 'dc. This being the highly-contagious but much weaker Omicron strain, but if you're an Auburn fan, can't blame you for hoping, eh?? ;-)

ROLL TIDE!!!!!!

Comment

• Unfortunately it looks like SNHU and St, A's have games this weekend....

Comment

Working...
                                X