Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
    Can we please not do this here. Please. The cafe exists for a reason. (Thanks for that last post though.)
    Couldn't agree more Darius. I tried...oh well. I just want to see some blasted hockey...at this point, in any format but preferably, live! Go 'Cats!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Sorry folks, gotta respond here, I'll let others determine if further discussion is here or not ...

Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
      So, admittedly I have as much pandemic fatigue as most, but isn't the main impetus for vaccine mandates the desire to not overwhelm our medical system, primarily ERs and ICUs? And even generally, aren't many elective surgeries currently being postponed? So when people choose not to get vaccinated, but then end up burdening our medical system when they get Covid, isn't that affecting other people's ability to get timely diagnoses and treatment?
      This has to be "fake news" of the highest order, sorry. According to President Magoo, he was going to put an end to the Wuhan Flu, because he had a 7 point plan, and his predecessor (who managed to produce a vaccine in record time) really didn't know what he was doing. And yes, I'm aware more folks have died of the Wuhan Flu since Magoo took over, and it was just yesterday when Magoo himself declared this wasn't a Federal problem anymore, it would now be up to the states instead. So our glorious leader, emerging from victory over Afghanistan, and reminding us all of the "benefits" of inflation, has put another W on his report card. In the words of his predecessor ... I'm getting tired of all this "winning" ...

I'm not against personal choice. But choices aren't made in a vacuum. Isn't the other half of personal choice, personal responsibility? (I believe I've heard that once or twice from the more conservative members of our society. Why not now? Politics, maybe?) So sure, people can choose not to get vaccinated, but they need to understand the full scope of that choice. If you don't get vaccinated, don't go the hospital, ER, urgent care, when you get Covid. That is quite literally the other half of the decision you're making when you make that choice. Don't go. (You didn't trust doctors when they told you to get vaccinated, why do you trust them now that you're sick?) But that doesn't appear to be the way all these die hard "choicers" are playing it, given that 65-70% of Covid hospitalization are unvaccinated right now. Which is, quite frankly, bullxchit.
      So, given your laudable concerns about "burdening our medical system", let me set up the predicate ... there are thousands of people coming across our southern border without permission on a daily basis, and over a million since the Magoo Admin gave them the olly-olly entry signal right around a year ago, and none - zero, zip, nada - of them are being asked to show proof of vaccinations. Supposedly, this is because these folks are "not expected to stay here very long", but of course that's the fallacy to end all fallacies. But without fail, once these folks who aren't here legally get sick, guess where their first stop is? Yup, those same "overwhelmed" ER's & ICU's.

Using your logic, here is the question: do we refuse them treatment, or should we send them back for treatment in countries where they hold legal citizenship? Or is that what you call "politics"??

BTW - remember when Magoo was still just a candidate, and said he wouldn't trust any vaccine that was developed under his predecessor?? Maybe you don't remember that, but a lot of people from a lot of different walks of life do remember, so when you criticize folks for not getting the shot(s) ... isn't Magoo at the very least guilty of mixed messaging ("politics")?!?

That kind of "patriotic, freedom loving, independent" behavior is so incredibly childish, selfish, and ignorant. Do I get to go to Vegas, put a grand down on red, collect when it hits, but pull it back when it comes up black? Choices have consequences, consider them before making your choice, instead of wanting it both ways like the entitled children we currently have running around our society.
      One thing I suppose we can agree on - other than the historically hapless history of leadership of the UNH Hockey program - is that there are a LOT of entitled, spoilt and ignorant children running our society AND our governments right now. It's the latter group I'm primarily concerned about right now, EJ. If there was even the slightest evidence that the folks in charge had a clue what they were doing, I could possibly see your point. But your point seems to be set into an assumption that going with these overly broad mandates on personal conduct are coming from folks who know what they're talking about.

The guy in charge of the medical end has been searching (unsuccessfully) for an AIDS vaccine for almost 40 years now, and his department won't even discuss the issue of natural immunity. Does that make sense to you, EJ? I get a sense you have an independent streak, where you don't let others from The Atlantic (which recently hatched the same no vax/no ER theory you advanced above) or other egg-headed liberal think-tanks do your thinking for you. If I'm right, you've probably lived through the Hong Kong Flu like I did, and we weren't absorbed in this panic-driven narcissistic societal meltdown back then. No masks, no mandates, and it ran its course after about two years. Did those in charge now learn from the past? Heck no.

One of our political parties is fond of the saying "don't let a good crisis go to waste" (HINT - it's the same one that famously threatened how "elections have consequences"). They've ridden it to power for the last year-plus, and if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, they intend to ride it for another year to try to hold onto that power. Otherwise, you would think that as the strength of variants decreases, they would ease up on the authoritarian dictates (which haven't worked anyway) and let life go back to normal, like politicians and scientists did 50 years ago.

But they haven't, so draw your own conclusions. But yeah, "politics" is very much a factor here, and it's hardly just on the part of the folks you disagree with. Sorry mon ami.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Sorry folks, gotta respond here, I'll let others determine if further discussion is here or not ...
        Agreed. It is NOT true that the "unvaccinated" are clogging up hospitals. A friend of ours who is Chief of ER at a prominent New Jersey hospital told me that "95% of the people coming through the door with symptoms ARE vaccinated." It is NOT true that the "unvaccinated" are the "super-spreaders."

I HAD the Hong Kong flu in 1967. It's like anything else...the three of us (my parents and myself) were in bed for three days. Could barely move...couldn't eat...were sore as - - - -, and after a few days were as good as new. There was no panic or mandate back then....people recovered as they did from any other malady. Did people die? Of course...the same people that are dying from this...elderly, those with respiratory, cardiac or diabetes issues as well as obesity. The only difference is that you never hear the "flu" mentioned so that the "impact" of Covid can be exacerbated.

And, of course, the same people that are screaming about overpopulation and climate change are the ones acting as though every life is "so" important...when it's just their own fear that they are attempting to assuage. That and taking advantage of another self-created "crisis" to impose more authoritarian control.

interesting that Congress is not going to "reveal" the contents of the "vaccine" for 75 years. I wonder why that is? And you have to wonder why they are so frantic to have everyone get this.

My wife just got off the phone with a nurse friend of hers...another nurse refused to get the mandated "vaccine" and was fired by the hospital. She just committed suicide. Now I'm sure there are some of you that will say, "Good. Those people SHOULD die." And, of course, at the same time, you'll be the ones with the "Hate has no home here" signs in your front yards.

So the hypocrisy continues...

Comment

• I actually think this is a GREAT place for the covid discussion. If you could actually talk about the problem, I am sure many more people would say "Lets get back to life." This would mean we could freely go to a UNH hockey game and cheer on the team. Make a choice - If we chose to wear a mask, go for it. No mask, go for it. Vaccinated, good for you. Unvaccinated but have miraculously avoided corona for the past 23 months, you are lucky, go for it. If you have had corona and recovered so you have super human corona strength vs just having the vaccine, please donate some plasma and T-cells and really go for it. Want to only sit on the sidelines because you want to see all the play and arent afraid of an errant puck, go for it. Need to sit on the ends behind the net because you ARE afraid of getting hit by a puck, have at it. You are overweight with underlying complications and you want to eat the cholesterol ladden Whitt food, order 2 pizza's.

See, these are called choices. This used to be celebrated in so many aspects of life. Now we have a bunch of "experts" who CLEARLY have been wrong on so many levels, telling us once again - "you dont have a choice because this time, we really know what we are talking about."

Keep in mind, that there were many "experts" who also said - "don't let MS7 slip away, you will regret it." See right back to hockey talk.

Comment

• A question for the "experts" on here - What were college kids, and whole lot of others as well, doing the last time 100,000+ people died in the United States during a corona virus pandemic?

Answer - They were so scared that they stupidly left quarantine from their parents basements, ripped off their masks, defied the wrath of Lord Fauci who was already at NIH, infected grandma and anyone else with 6 feet, broke all lockdown mandates and ................... went to a super spreader event called Woodstock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
              A question for the "experts" on here - What were college kids, and whole lot of others as well, doing the last time 100,000+ people died in the United States during a corona virus pandemic?

Answer - They were so scared that they stupidly left quarantine from their parents basements, ripped off their masks, defied the wrath of Lord Fauci who was already at NIH, infected grandma and anyone else with 6 feet, broke all lockdown mandates and ................... went to a super spreader event called Woodstock.
              Bingo. Except of course, there were no quarantines, no masks, no mandates ... and no panic.

Probably because the adults in the room at the time had survived WW1, The Great Depression, WW2 and the Korean Conflict. Folks who had some real-life context on adversity on a large scale. Many of whom saw buddies gassed, shot, or exploded to death a mere few feet away on a battlefield.

I said this at the start of this panic, refrained from saying it for the better part of the last year out of respect to what we didn't know for sure yet ... but it's time to say it again.

As a people, we have become SO soft. Sad, but unfortunately true.

Comment

Can we please not do this here. Please. The cafe exists for a reason. (Thanks for that last post though.)
                I understand and respect what you're saying, but I have to wonder why you decided to wait for my post to say it. A cursory check shows a number of pandemic/mask related posts going back for a week at this point. They were all pretty one sided, so my guess is it's the viewpoint not the subject that's bothering you.

Beyond that, the other main topics of discussion have been UNH playing in a DIII tournament and wait for it, Black Betty. My apologies for disrupting those scintillating round tables of thought.

As for Black Betty, tf? This place is like Kabuki theatre at this point, my further apologies for interrupting the ritualized performances.
                I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  Sorry folks, gotta respond here, I'll let others determine if further discussion is here or not ...

This has to be "fake news" of the highest order, sorry. According to President Magoo, he was going to put an end to the Wuhan Flu, because he had a 7 point plan, and his predecessor (who managed to produce a vaccine in record time) really didn't know what he was doing. And yes, I'm aware more folks have died of the Wuhan Flu since Magoo took over, and it was just yesterday when Magoo himself declared this wasn't a Federal problem anymore, it would now be up to the states instead. So our glorious leader, emerging from victory over Afghanistan, and reminding us all of the "benefits" of inflation, has put another W on his report card. In the words of his predecessor ... I'm getting tired of all this "winning" ...

The guy in charge of the medical end has been searching (unsuccessfully) for an AIDS vaccine for almost 40 years now, and his department won't even discuss the issue of natural immunity. Does that make sense to you, EJ? I get a sense you have an independent streak, where you don't let others from The Atlantic (which recently hatched the same no vax/no ER theory you advanced above) or other egg-headed liberal think-tanks do your thinking for you. If I'm right, you've probably lived through the Hong Kong Flu like I did, and we weren't absorbed in this panic-driven narcissistic societal meltdown back then. No masks, no mandates, and it ran its course after about two years. Did those in charge now learn from the past? Heck no.

One of our political parties is fond of the saying "don't let a good crisis go to waste" (HINT - it's the same one that famously threatened how "elections have consequences"). They've ridden it to power for the last year-plus, and if I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, they intend to ride it for another year to try to hold onto that power. Otherwise, you would think that as the strength of variants decreases, they would ease up on the authoritarian dictates (which haven't worked anyway) and let life go back to normal, like politicians and scientists did 50 years ago.

But they haven't, so draw your own conclusions. But yeah, "politics" is very much a factor here, and it's hardly just on the part of the folks you disagree with. Sorry mon ami.
                  Chuck Murray to Non-disingenuous Plain-speaking Dictionary:
                  "Yes, it is all about the politics, and not the science, for me."
                  I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                  How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• It's all fun and games until half the team has Covid and then, no one gets to play OR watch because of an outbreak. Dartmouth is most likely not allowing fans because they want their athletic teams (who did not play last year) get a chance to do so this year. And to avoid a further outbreak on campus, etc. (Which is bound to happen anyway when students return from break). Look, I haven't exactly enjoyed these past couple of years who has? I've had it, (ruined last Christmas, there, I said it and if I'm being honest, still dealing with the aftermath) but it's also my choice to comply with whatever I chose to medically. Why? Because of what I've chosen to adopt for health practices and who I chose to trust in that message.

Never pretended to be an 'expert'. Very unfair comment as not ONCE (other than last year in the cafe) have those of 'us' who might disagree disputed any of these posts nor did we come to this board with repeated digs at the last President and God knows, we could have. OR I could have. Whatever. But I chose not to, out of respect for the people who post here or others who are interested in UNH hockey content. I use Twitter for my dumping ground lol.

I am so done debating who is right, or who is wrong. Those days are way over for me as I've seen some of my own family members who felt it was not serious enough to take basic precautions be hospitalized and lucky to live to tell about it. Not going to change anyone's mind at this point. Tell me what to do at a sporting event (or wherever) and I will comply with that. All I can do is protect myself and that's pretty much the long and short of it. I recognize whenever I attend an event, go to the store, that I could get it again even tho I've been vaxxed etc. Totally see the point but I also try to think of those around me who might be vulnerable. Pretty much wearing the mask for them when I'm told to. If we see a full in person season at the 'Whitt I'll be surprised. Going to NOLA in 10 days; must be crazy, sigh.

I too wish this would end. And hurry up Thursday..I've just about reached my limit!!

Ps...don't look up...
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-29-2021, 08:43 AM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by E.J. Smith View Post
                      I understand and respect what you're saying, but I have to wonder why you decided to wait for my post to say it. A cursory check shows a number of pandemic/mask related posts going back for a week at this point. They were all pretty one sided, so my guess is it's the viewpoint not the subject that's bothering you.

Beyond that, the other main topics of discussion have been UNH playing in a DIII tournament and wait for it, Black Betty. My apologies for disrupting those scintillating round tables of thought.

As for Black Betty, tf? This place is like Kabuki theatre at this point, my further apologies for interrupting the ritualized performances.
                      Because I knew what would soon follow (as it has). I made sure to type "Thanks for that last post though". Somewhat surprised I wasn't called out on that.

I'm with your viewpoint. There, I said it. :-)

LOL

LOL, again.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

So, admittedly I have as much pandemic fatigue as most, but isn't the main impetus for vaccine mandates the desire to not overwhelm our medical system, primarily ERs and ICUs? And even generally, aren't many elective surgeries currently being postponed? So when people choose not to get vaccinated, but then end up burdening our medical system when they get Covid, isn't that affecting other people's ability to get timely diagnoses and treatment?
                        Since I've crossed over to participating in this... Precisely. Anyone remotely connected to someone working in the medical field, specifically a hospital or urgent care facility, understands.

A few generations ago people lined up to fight in a war where they knew that there was a good chance they would be wounded or die. Today, half the country won't get a SHOT?!?

We should all broaden our view points by reading other (verified) news sources. Facebook is not a verified news source. Twitter is not a verified news source. If you watch Fox (I don't), check out CNN, MSNBC. If you watch CNN, MSNBC (I don't), check out Fox. On occasion I switch between Fox and CNN to amuse myself and to feel like I am traveling to different countries without leaving my living room. Seek out verified news sources with broad worldwide coverage.
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Since I've crossed over to participating in this... Precisely. Anyone remotely connected to someone working in the medical field, specifically a hospital or urgent care facility, understands.

A few generations ago people lined up to fight in a war where they knew that there was a good chance they would be wounded or die. Today, half the country won't get a SHOT?!?

We should all broaden our view points by reading other (verified) news sources. Facebook is not a verified news source. Twitter is not a verified news source. If you watch Fox (I don't), check out CNN, MSNBC. If you watch CNN, MSNBC (I don't), check out Fox. On occasion I switch between Fox and CNN to amuse myself and to feel like I am traveling to different countries without leaving my living room. Seek out verified news sources with broad worldwide coverage.
                          This is the reason we have polio under control....our parents understood and trusted. But if all of these conflicting media were around, you'd have to wonder. And why small pox isn't a thing, etc etc. So glad they did...
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

This is the reason we have polio under control....our parents understood and trusted. But if all of these conflicting media were around, you'd have to wonder. And why small pox isn't a thing, etc etc. So glad they did...
                            After reading all of the "science" on here, I actually called my Doctor today to get my latest Polio and Small Pox booster shot. This will be my 27th of each one because the efficacy only lasts 6 months, just like the corona "vaccines". See I am following the science.

EDIT: Sorry my doctor just called back and told me that there aren't any polio or small pox booster shots. Wait a minute, I thought that these were "vaccines"?? :-) :-) :-)

Comment

Darius, thank you for making the basic point that many of us have been trying to make, before getting shot down as "not following the science". Past generations went into situations where they absolutely KNEW the chances were they weren't going to see Grandma again (let alone infect her). Grandma knew it, moms knew, but the vast majority still said - Let's Roll. They didnt say where is my facial decoration but did say where is my GAS mask. Nor did they say "can we socially distance on Omaha Beach"? The DID say, Let's storm the beach and save the free world.

Another way of looking at your statement could be that Half the country (the science says 27% I believe) doesnt want the shot because they are ready to storm the beach and help save what is left of the free world. HUGE DIFFERENCE.

Comment

Chuck Murray to Non-disingenuous Plain-speaking Dictionary:
                                "Yes, it is all about the politics, and not the science, for me."
                                Just stating the obvious, mon ami. To pretend this doesn't have anything to do with politics (both sides) at this point would be the height of naivete, but apparently I've misread you as someone who is above the partisan BS. I mean, after all, the folks in charge promised they knew how to rid us of this thing ... and yet now, there is no Federal solution, straight from Mr. Magoo himself ... after assuring us his predecessor was wrong in letting the states address it. I think you would have to admit this was a Five Pinocchio special in retrospect, no?!?

"Vote for me, I know what I'm doing!!" (12 months later) "States, you go first, I've got your back."

Profiles in Cowardice, 2021 edition. Raise your hands if you voted for the senile guy ...

As far as the "science" is concerned ... where is the discussion of natural immunity? How many times has Pope Fauci changed his mind on masks, shots, distancing, etc.?? Where is there any reference to his reliance upon lessons learned by those who were on the ground and making public health decisions during the various pandemics in the 20th century???

The so-called "science" has been at least tinged with, if not absolutely corrupted by, DC politics. I'm fortunate enough to work with many medical experts in my line of work, and what many of them will tell you in private, as opposed to public positioning, are two very different things. Of course, you do understand that many medical researchers are wholly dependent upon their funding (grants, etc.) from the permanent bureaucracy in DC, right? That's DC, as in 95%+ Democrat-voting DC, right??

Look at the current data, and look at the (lack of severity) of the current strain. Compare that with the prevailing narrative coming out of DC and the major media centers ... notice any difference? Ever wonder exactly why that's happening?? Just maybe, it's the current party in power (in charge of pretty much everything), trying to play this through November '22???

Spare me the pontificating lecture on "science", EJ. You're smarter than that (or at least used to be?).

Comment

Working...
                                X