Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even down, UNH would destroy their in-state DIII opponents to the point of embarrassment. Heaven forbid they lost and any recruiting credibility they still have is out the window. Top brands don't compare themselves to, or participate with/against, lesser brand competition. UNH is still the top brand in state (and perhaps Northern New England - for now). It will never happen. It should never happen. Stooping to DIII wins is beneath UNH. Losing would be a death blow to the Wildcat brand...

Guys who can't get on the ice at UNH dominate the DIII level - both then and now:

Banga - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...6/travis-banga
    Kalinowski - https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...son-kalinowski

UNH needs to upgrade their recruiting efforts and on-ice product, focusing once again on competing with the best teams in HE and bringing nationally competitive non-conference opponents to Durham. That will bring fans back to the Whitt...

--

In a more realistic scenario, will Andrew Poturalski get the call to lead Team USA at the Bejing Olympic Games? Or will the AHL also be left out...?
    Last edited by Dan; 12-21-2021, 09:18 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      In a more realistic scenario, will Andrew Poturalski get the call to lead Team USA at the Bejing Olympic Games? Or will the AHL also be left out...?
      If 2018 offers any guidance to what might happen in this upcoming Winter Olympics, the question will be whether a player is on an AHL contract or a two-way NHL contract. Here is a quote from 2017:

"Players on American Hockey League contracts will be eligible to play in the 2018 Winter Olympics. President and CEO David Andrews confirmed through a league spokesman Wednesday that teams were informed they could loan players on AHL contracts to national teams for the purposes of participating in the Pyeonchang Olympics".

My understanding is Poturalski is on a two-way contract, so unless things change for the current Olympics cycle, it's unlikely he'll be heading to China. The idea of "leading" Team USA would also seem farcical even if he were to be eligible, I'm sure a recently-retired NHL-level player would get the nod over someone who's played all of four (4) NHL games in 7 pro seasons.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Dartmouth has announced no spectators for the upcoming tournament...disappointing but not surprising. Sigh. On another note...

MERRY CHRISTMAS YA FILTHY ANIMALS!
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Really should have known! Guess they will credit my account in the next few days. Can the Whitt be far behind?

Comment

• Hi everyone - long time lurker, infrequent poster (hoping to change that). I've been following college hockey for almost 35 years; came to my senses about five years ago and converted to Cat Fandom. I was wondering if someone could share the history behind the playing (and subsequent NOT Playing) of Black Betty. I know that it was a tradition to play this song at games, but then stopped a number of years ago due to the possibility of offending people with "questionable" content. I always thought it was an NC$$ decision. But over the years I've heard it played at other arenas (including Harvard), NC$$ regionals and even the Frozen Four. Then I was REALLY surprised (and incredibly excited) to hear it played at the last game against BU. Just wondering if someone could enlighten me!!

Sending best wishes to everyone for the Holidays and a Happy New Year. Hoping and praying that we can attend games in person after the new year. But whether in the Whittemore Center or from my sofa, this Crazy Cat Lady will be cheering on my favorite team in College Hockey. GO CATS!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Dartmouth has announced no spectators for the upcoming tournament...
              I can guarantee that Chuck would have spectators at his tournament. In fact since it would undoubtedly be a financial loser anyway, might as well pay spectators to attend and get more people in the house. Maybe pay them more if they wear a mask?

UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                I can guarantee that Chuck would have spectators at his tournament. In fact since it would undoubtedly be a financial loser anyway, might as well pay spectators to attend and get more people in the house. Maybe pay them more if they wear a mask?
                LOL

For the record, I didn't bring the discussion around to the pandemic, but since timing is everything in life, I figured it might be a good time to share this link, which was forwarded to me earlier today by a business colleague of mine. Probably contains some stuff that you're unlikely to hear or read in your typically panic-driven MSM outlets, but is consistent with the outcomes of past pandemics (and if you're of my same age, you've lived through one about 50 years ago; if you're older, you may have lived through two), and one would think this should be seen as good news:

Covid pandemic may be nearing end, suggest experts - ISRAEL21c

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and happy holidays to all!!! :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by CatHatLady View Post
                  Hi everyone - long time lurker, infrequent poster (hoping to change that). I've been following college hockey for almost 35 years; came to my senses about five years ago and converted to Cat Fandom. I was wondering if someone could share the history behind the playing (and subsequent NOT Playing) of Black Betty. I know that it was a tradition to play this song at games, but then stopped a number of years ago due to the possibility of offending people with "questionable" content. I always thought it was an NC$$ decision. But over the years I've heard it played at other arenas (including Harvard), NC$$ regionals and even the Frozen Four. Then I was REALLY surprised (and incredibly excited) to hear it played at the last game against BU. Just wondering if someone could enlighten me!!

Sending best wishes to everyone for the Holidays and a Happy New Year. Hoping and praying that we can attend games in person after the new year. But whether in the Whittemore Center or from my sofa, this Crazy Cat Lady will be cheering on my favorite team in College Hockey. GO CATS!!!!!
                  Former USA Womens coach Ben Smith complained about the song to Marty Scarano. Taking the PC route, the song was henceforth banned from the Whitt. And yes, with a huge LOL it is played regularily at other arenas. What people forget is that the version of "Black Betty" that was recorded by Ram Jam in 1977 was based on that song that originally written in 1935 by African-American blues musician Huddie "Lead Beally" Ledbetter.
                  Apparently it's "offensive" to some ears when white musicians perform it. SMH......
                  UNH

Comment

• Not seeing any changes, but the date on UNH Athletics Spectator/Guest Policy has been updated to December 20, 2021:
                    https://unhwildcats.com/sports/2021/...-policies.aspx
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post

Apparently it's "offensive" to some ears when white musicians perform it. SMH......
                      FWIW, it was played at the last home game at the Whit. Heard it with my own ears! Maybe times are a-changin!

My take on spectators at the Whit for the second half of the season (FWIW - ha!). Time to let people make their own decisions regarding where they go and what they do. At this point people are vaccinated, or they are not, their choice. They wear a mask, or they don't, again their choice. We all know our own situations and risk tolerance, it time to let the people choose and not blindly accept government edicts. There is NEVER zero risk in life, let me make my own decisions.

GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                        My take on spectators at the Whit for the second half of the season (FWIW - ha!). Time to let people make their own decisions regarding where they go and what they do. At this point people are vaccinated, or they are not, their choice. They wear a mask, or they don't, again their choice. We all know our own situations and risk tolerance, it time to let the people choose and not blindly accept government edicts. There is NEVER zero risk in life, let me make my own decisions.
                        It is actually WAY past time, but agreed 100% (good to see you on here posting again, d.gerry).

Some people took a lot of flack for comparing the original strain of the virus to the common flu a year or so ago. But now this latest strain of the virus IS basically the flu, and subsequent strains - like the flu - will get weaker and weaker. This is how these things tend to run their course, as we saw them run their courses in the late '50's, and then again in the late '60's.

1957–1958 influenza pandemic - Wikipedia

Hong Kong flu - Wikipedia

Next is a link to a basic primer on the history of the flu and vaccines, which makes a few references to Dr. Jonas Salk, one of the giants of 20th century medicine. Fortunately for many before us, a quirk of history put the right guy in the right place at the right time, but the absence of a modern-day Jonas Salk has unfortunately saddled us with the short-sighted restrictions, which as can now clearly and plainly be seen in retrospect as intrusive AND not particularly effective.

A Brief History of the Flu Vaccine | The Weather Channel - Articles from The Weather Channel | weather.com

Overall, the human race has been living with these things for hundreds of years. If anything has amazed me this time around, it's how little many of those who are in charge have learned from past lessons with these things. Unless you are a extremely trustful person, it definitely makes you wonder why these past lessons are being ignored. It's not like science (or should I say SCIENCE) has been invented since the advent of the Internet. Things that make you go hmmm ...

Anyway, it is what it is. Thankfully the UNH Wildcats will be back on the ice in less than a week.

In the meantime, I leave you all with this uplifting seasonal message from the White House. VIEWER ADVISORY - avoid the last 15 seconds if you are easily offended ... ;-)

Comment

• C-H-C reports that we've picked up a good get in Ryan Conmy. (Bishop Kearney Selects Boys) And two of our current commits are playing the the Jan 17 BioSteel Sports All American game (Muszelick/Carfagna). Good to see! Not trying to rush the week but man am in desperate need for some hockey, any hockey, at this point. Go 'Cats!!

Uodate: also a UMass commit..
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 12-27-2021, 07:40 PM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

FWIW, it was played at the last home game at the Whit. Heard it with my own ears! Maybe times are a-changin!

I was absolutely shocked to hear it at that bastion of political correctness - Fair Harvard.

I agree on letting people choose. My risk tolerance may be different from someone elses. I traveled to Las Vegas in April, Chicago in October and California in November and felt very comfortable every where I went. But, I think that Universities, restaurants, etc also have the right to decide what rules they want to follow based on their own level of risk. If JetBlue tells me that I need to wear a mask while traveling, or if a University tells me that I have to wear a mask to attend a game, then I will comply.

But there's no consistency. When I went to the UNH game at Harvard, I had to show proof of vaccination and wear a mask. I went to a Maine Mariners game in Portland - had to show the vax card, but didn't have to wear a mask. Finally, I went to a D-3 game (Bowdoin at Tufts) - no vax card, no mask requirement.

I'm looking forward to the second half of the season!!

Comment

Time to let people make their own decisions regarding where they go and what they do. At this point people are vaccinated, or they are not, their choice. They wear a mask, or they don't, again their choice. We all know our own situations and risk tolerance, it time to let the people choose and not blindly accept government edicts. There is NEVER zero risk in life, let me make my own decisions.
                              So, admittedly I have as much pandemic fatigue as most, but isn't the main impetus for vaccine mandates the desire to not overwhelm our medical system, primarily ERs and ICUs? And even generally, aren't many elective surgeries currently being postponed? So when people choose not to get vaccinated, but then end up burdening our medical system when they get Covid, isn't that affecting other people's ability to get timely diagnoses and treatment?

I'm not against personal choice. But choices aren't made in a vacuum. Isn't the other half of personal choice, personal responsibility? (I believe I've heard that once or twice from the more conservative members of our society. Why not now? Politics, maybe?) So sure, people can choose not to get vaccinated, but they need to understand the full scope of that choice. If you don't get vaccinated, don't go the hospital, ER, urgent care, when you get Covid. That is quite literally the other half of the decision you're making when you make that choice. Don't go. (You didn't trust doctors when they told you to get vaccinated, why do you trust them now that you're sick?) But that doesn't appear to be the way all these die hard "choicers" are playing it, given that 65-70% of Covid hospitalization are unvaccinated right now. Which is, quite frankly, bullxchit.

That kind of "patriotic, freedom loving, independent" behavior is so incredibly childish, selfish, and ignorant. Do I get to go to Vegas, put a grand down on red, collect when it hits, but pull it back when it comes up black? Choices have consequences, consider them before making your choice, instead of wanting it both ways like the entitled children we currently have running around our society.
                              I went home with a waitress the way I always do
                              How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

Comment

• Can we please not do this here. Please. The cafe exists for a reason. (Thanks for that last post though.)
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X