Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Just saw this after posting on the topic, and it looks like we are largely in agreement on this.

FWIW I struggle with the involvement of PK's to resolve soccer cup/elimination games, too ... I just haven't figured out a better way to deal with it. Soccer is glacial with implementing changes to the Laws of the Game, there is no frustration on the prevalence of draws/ties, and PK's have been around forever to deal with the elimination games. I suppose I'd prefer a golden goal format more than the "play the full 15/30 of extra time" but it's pretty rare that both teams will score equally in extra time anyway, it's almost moot. Maybe the resignation of no realistic alternatives dulls us into tolerating the PK's in the end, 'dc?? It does make for some drama for sure. JMHO.
    I’m a golden goal proponent, 100%. I think 30 minutes of farcical effort as a prelude to PK’s in elimination matches is an insult to fans. OR, seeing a team score in the 115th minute and having that not be the culmination is just plain weird (and I get that that is a distinctly American view). But having been at Maracana for Argentina-Germany, it would have been much more compelling (to me) if G?tze’s goal had ended it.
    Last edited by wildcatdc; 11-29-2021, 09:22 PM.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
      I'm a golden goal proponent, 100%. I think 30 minutes of farcical effort as a prelude to PK's in elimination matches is an insult to fans. OR, seeing a team score in the 115th minute and having that not be the culmination is just plain weird (and I get that that is a distinctly American view). But having been at Maracana for Argentina-Germany, it would have been much more compelling (to me) if G?tze's goal had ended it.
      I'm officially very jealous. My bucket list includes Molineux very prominently, but the Maracana, Wembley, Azteca and Camp Nou are not too much further down that list. Well played, 'dc!

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Cool news for Mike Robinson:

The #HockeyEast Men’s Goaltender of the Week is Mike Robinson, who went 2-0-0 on the week for @UNHMHOCKEY
        , picking up his second straight goaltender of the week. He allowed just 2 goals total over the two wins. Against #16 Harvard, he stopped 27 shots for his 8th career shutout.

Nice!! Maybe Robo has finally found his missing mojo??
        UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post

Nice!! Maybe Robo has finally found his missing mojo??
          This weekends a big test...lots of HE points to be had. What's the chance Souza splits the duties? I'm kind of doubting it...Let's go up and coming 'Cats!!
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            This weekends a big test...lots of HE points to be had. What's the chance Souza splits the duties? I'm kind of doubting it...Let's go up and coming 'Cats!!
            MS7 seems to be going with the "hot hand" approach more than his predecessor ever did, so I'd expect to see Robinson in the first game, and then the second game TBD based on how Robinson does in the first one. Only hedge on that is the second BU game is the last before the break, so unless Robinson wins and pitches another shutout, he may go with Fessenden just to let him get a game in before the break?? Then again, they'll both be off for the better part of a month regardless, so NBD I say just play Robinson on Friday, and if they continue to win, then play him again. And if they don't, then play Fessenden.

Comment

MS7 seems to be going with the "hot hand" approach more than his predecessor ever did, so I'd expect to see Robinson in the first game, and then the second game TBD based on how Robinson does in the first one. Only hedge on that is the second BU game is the last before the break, so unless Robinson wins and pitches another shutout, he may go with Fessenden just to let him get a game in before the break?? Then again, they'll both be off for the better part of a month regardless, so NBD I say just play Robinson on Friday, and if they continue to win, then play him again. And if they don't, then play Fessenden.
              Good points Chuck and I'd agree but didn't Umile play for example, Tirone no matter what? Regardless of how he did the night before? Think back to how little MR played in the Tirone era. (I could look it up....) I can't recall him trading out goalies that much. I'll never forget the UConn game at the XL when so many of DT's family was there (they always followed him everywhere anyway) and we were shocked to see Mike Robinson get the nod. Can't remember what happened the night before or who knows but it was a surprise.

I do think Coach Souza will go with MR Friday and as you say, Sat could all depend on performance. That said...Souza sees some big points on the line so I'm almost thinking that unless MR has a cataclysmic breakdown Friday, he'll play him again Sat...guess we will find out! Am absolutely thrilled for Mike; in pressers Souza said "you're seeing the best of Mike Robinson" and I hope that it continues...

Comment

• UNH football: Head coach Sean McDonnell announces his retirement after 22 years with UNH; Santos expected to be promoted:

https://tnhdigital.com/2021/12/01/un...o-be-promoted/
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Was Jerry Azumah left out of the letter (Dec. 1) from Scarano announcing McDonnell's retirement. Maybe at age 82 I just missed it ..........??

Comment

• Interesting to see MacDonnell's retirement announced, in light of the self-congratulatory article Roger Brown ghosted for Blue Skies over Upstate New York as linked below:

Roger Brown's State of Sports: Retiring Marty Scarano reflects on a busy 22 years at UNH | College Sports | unionleader.com

SOS: Do you think your decision to retire will have any impact on how much longer Sean McDonnell decides to coach the football program?

MS: I don’t think so. We always used to joke about going out together, like Butch and Sundance. He and I will sit down and talk about it. I think we’ll get to that conversation in a more serious way this week when I get back (from the NCAA men’s soccer tournament).

Butch and Sundance ... fitting, because we know BS the BS artist fits one of those two to a T ...

Comment

I'm officially very jealous. My bucket list includes Molineux very prominently, but the Maracana, Wembley, Azteca and Camp Nou are not too much further down that list. Well played, 'dc!
                      I wouldn’t make a special trip just to go to Wembley. I was excited to go but honestly it was pretty underwhelming. I never went to the old one but I think it’s similar to the old and new Boston Gardens and Yankee Stadiums(I’ve been to all of them) where the new venues are just missing something.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Knowing nothing about the football process, it is interesting that this was McDonnell's last shot to ensure his chosen successor took the reins before the new AD did the hiring.

Makes one think they know the new AD will not be part of the old-boys network at UNH.
                        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 12-01-2021, 10:11 AM.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                          Knowing nothing about the football process, it is interesting that this was McDonnell's last shot to ensure his chosen successor took the reins before the new AD did the hiring.

Makes one think they know the new AD will not be part of the old-boys network at UNH.
                          ....One can only hope! Congrats to Coach Mac on a distinguished career. Am not surprised to hear this. And, like you, have zip knowledge about their coaching staff...sounds like they have a capable replacement on staff? I'm all for that, if it's an obvious, good choice. NOT....when it's set up to keep egos in tact. (did I say that outloud...)

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            Knowing nothing about the football process, it is interesting that this was McDonnell's last shot to ensure his chosen successor took the reins before the new AD did the hiring.

Im not invested enough in UNH Football to truly care - but this is such a Scarano hiring scenario; arranged to sneak one last favor through before parting ways. This is a Souza hire for football. Santos had a great UNH career, is well-liked and connected, but he's never even been a coordinator. Lets hope it works out better on the gridiron.

13-21 in four seasons since their last playoff appearance, on the heels of 14-straight tournament trips would give me succession plan PTSD if I was an AD...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Since writing my post #623 ... it has become obvious that Jerry Azumath was left out of Scarano's letter to the UNH Campus. How does that happen? Azumath was an All American, a Walter Payton Award winner, played for the Chicago Bears, ..... and contributed $100,000 dollars for the Weight Room (named after him).

Comment

• Azumah was drafted Spring of 1999, and McDonnell's first season as head coach was the subsequent Fall...
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X