Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bright takes a yellow on a potentially dangerous OSU counter late. Too bad one of the UNH defenders didn't do the same on the play that led up to the only goal so far ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Good analysis Chuck.

Tough break hitting the crossbar but looked to me like Hansen got hauled down in the box going for the ball.

Comment

• UNH continues to press far up the pitch on OSU, the top ranked Beavers looking unconvincing as they cling to their 1-0 lead. UNH has hardly put a foot out of place over the first 50+ minutes, other than allowing the somewhat naive goal 10 minutes in against the run of play.

Comment

• Just past the hour mark, OSU starting to engage in some cynical time wasting tactics, players going down, writhing around for long enough to stop play, then remarkably recovering a minute or so later. UNH almost concedes a second, with Hansen clearing off the line in the 62nd minute. Game starting to get stretched, there should be more chances to come.

UNH enjoys a spree after another corner, two close shots blocked, one punched clear by the short OSU GK. Entertaining game for a neutral, frustrating for UNH, and harrowing for OSU. The Clemson coaches will be licking their chops at top-seeded OSU and their apparent inability to deal with the aerial threat all over their 18 yard box. Once is a fluke, a half dozen times no ...

Comment

• Final 20 minutes, UNH still shading the play overall, but time is not on their side here ...

Comment

• Little over 10 minutes to play, another OSU player writhing on the ground, but he'll recover shortly.

We're officially approaching the "last chance saloon" for UNH in the coming minutes ...

Comment

• Well, I'm really proud of the Soccer 'Cats! Thanks for the game updates Chuck. I just gotta say, man, hockey players be like "hold my beer" when it comes to being hit. Never seen so much rolling around but then again, I do not watch alot of this sport. Sorry it had to end here...they had a fantastic season! Kudos to Coach Hubbard and his staff.
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• UNH huffed and puffed, but could not break through, losing 1-0 to the OSU Beavers. FWIW not overly impressed with #1 seed, wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson clip them in the next one.

UNH continues to show they can compete against the big boys. Hardly outclassed in this one.

It will kill Coach Hubbard the nature of the goal they allowed, and so early/naively ...

Comment

• Tough one, but nice to see UNH continue to establish themselves as a top national program. OSU got the break early and held onto the lead somewhat comfortably. The 'Beavs' had 7-8 examples of obnoxious injury embellishment. I was proud UNH didn't partake in any of that BS.

Comment

• Wondering what everyone's take is on the OT 3-on-3 format? Wasn't sure I'd be a fan, but so far it has made for a more interesting overtime period IMO. Some of that may be tainted as UNH has done pretty well with it this year, but regardless of UNH's results, I do think it adds more interest and excitement to OT. Fun to watch up-and-down action with all kinds of odd man rushes and breakaways. Now, as far as the shootout goes if still tied, definitely not a fan.
                      GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                        Wondering what everyone's take is on the OT 3-on-3 format? Wasn't sure I'd be a fan, but so far it has made for a more interesting overtime period IMO. Some of that may be tainted as UNH has done pretty well with it this year, but regardless of UNH's results, I do think it adds more interest and excitement to OT. Fun to watch up-and-down action with all kinds of odd man rushes and breakaways. Now, as far as the shootout goes if still tied, definitely not a fan.
                        OT is always 'maddening' to me but, ya gotta do it. We've been 'lucky' this season so far; it is always a drag to lose in OT. Anyway...agree it adds alot to the suspense and it's fun to watch the players do their thing. I agree...not a fan of the SO...never did like them in field hockey either, fwiw dept but I suppose if you have gone that far...well, what's left? Jackson Pierson has been 'the man' on OT wins this season and loved Engaras' goal. I predict we'll have an OT again this weekend v BU! Love to light up their goalie...

Comment

Wondering what everyone's take is on the OT 3-on-3 format? Wasn't sure I'd be a fan, but so far it has made for a more interesting overtime period IMO. Some of that may be tainted as UNH has done pretty well with it this year, but regardless of UNH's results, I do think it adds more interest and excitement to OT. Fun to watch up-and-down action with all kinds of odd man rushes and breakaways. Now, as far as the shootout goes if still tied, definitely not a fan.
                          Great topic. Hate the shootout, period.

I would much prefer a 4-on-4 format (maybe for a max of 10 minutes?) because I think the 3-on-3 format is a bit of a circus and is overly biased to individual abilities rather than team tactics. Maybe I’m wrong, but the 3-on-3 seems to end in wide-open breakaways or silly turnovers with immediate repercussions and no chance to recover. In other words, it doesn’t really mirror the core game the way a 4-on-4 would. And by extension, shootouts are just silly season (which BTW is weird for me because I don’t feel the same way about a soccer PK’s situation).

So, I’d love a 4-on-4 for 10 minutes with a tie at the end. Don’t fear the tie!!

again, awesome topic.

EDIT: just to be clear, I am NOT a fan of PK’s in the RS for soccer. The tie plays a big strategic role in league play at times, and actually changes the game in an interesting way, even in an otherwise nondescript mid-season match. But in Cup play, and especially in knockout rounds, man can it be exciting!
                          Last edited by wildcatdc; 11-29-2021, 09:00 PM.
                          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

I've never been one who felt unsatisfied with a tie/draw, perhaps down to my involvement in soccer? But college hockey has featured OT in RS games for far longer than the NHL, so whereas I kind of view the development of RS OT's in the NHL as a gimmick of sorts (IIRC the NHL first adopted RS OT only a few years after its merger with the WHA, which had featured RS OT's before the merger), eventually evolving into the 4 v. 4 format before landing at the 3 v. 3 format relatively recently ... NCAA D-1 hockey has a longer-term claim to the issue, so I'm less critical of them, since they arguably started the whole RS OT thing to begin. Adopting the 3 v. 3 format from the NHL though ... that's stepped over any claim to originality, and I'm on record as pretty much abhorring the whole shootout format, wherever it is played. At some point, these changes are not hockey any more. I'm admittedly a purist that way, yet I do not turn the TV/live stream off, so I guess I find it annoying but not offensive. Second time I've split that hair this month ... :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post

Great topic. Hate the shootout, period.

I would much prefer a 4-on-4 format (maybe for a max of 10 minutes?) because I think the 3-on-3 format is a bit of a circus and is overly biased to individual abilities rather than team tactics. Maybe I'm wrong, but the 3-on-3 seems to end in wide-open breakaways or silly turnovers with immediate repercussions and no chance to recover. In other words, it doesn't really mirror the core game the way a 4-on-4 would. And by extension, shootouts are just silly season (which BTW is weird for me because I don't feel the same way about a soccer PK's situation).

So, I'd love a 4-on-4 for 10 minutes with a tie at the end. Don't fear the tie!!

again, awesome topic.
                              Just saw this after posting on the topic, and it looks like we are largely in agreement on this.

FWIW I struggle with the involvement of PK's to resolve soccer cup/elimination games, too ... I just haven't figured out a better way to deal with it. Soccer is glacial with implementing changes to the Laws of the Game, there is no frustration on the prevalence of draws/ties, and PK's have been around forever to deal with the elimination games. I suppose I'd prefer a golden goal format more than the "play the full 15/30 of extra time" but it's pretty rare that both teams will score equally in extra time anyway, it's almost moot. Maybe the resignation of no realistic alternatives dulls us into tolerating the PK's in the end, 'dc?? It does make for some drama for sure. JMHO.

Comment

• Cool news for Mike Robinson:

The #HockeyEast Men’s Goaltender of the Week is Mike Robinson, who went 2-0-0 on the week for @UNHMHOCKEY
                                , picking up his second straight goaltender of the week. He allowed just 2 goals total over the two wins. Against #16 Harvard, he stopped 27 shots for his 8th career shutout.

Comment

Working...
                                X