Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

We'll always have the librarian's scoreboard
    Well to be honest, not always!
    GO BLUE!

Comment

Apologies. Got tripped up in the negatives. What kind of drink will you want?

But it's a week of Giving Thanks. I wish I knew the AD market to see who they will want. A hockey school, or broader perspective?
      Either way, the new AD will have clean slate to learn the programs the first year, and decide what to do.
      These days I will drink anything that temporarily drowns out the noise of my 3-year-old and 6-month-old sons. :-)
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Im not sure, I don't have any inside information and I'm not sure it matters - the reality that they are landing none of these prospects for whom they should have an inside track is problematic no matter the reason. It's a failure.

I would also have a hard time believing they haven't pursued these kids - but what does 'pursued' mean. I have a hard time forgetting Souza's line about wanting kids who 'want' UNH - that is an issue, because these kids do not know what they want and it is the recruiter's job to convince them they want UNH. Period. It is certainly strange not to hear any link between many of these kids and UNH throughout the process, however...

There are FAR too many Division I coaches - in every sport - who make the recruiting decision for the prospect, because they fear losing out on a recruit or 'wasting their time' pursuing a top player. It's FAR from uncommon and I'm certainly not convinced UNH is putting the full court press on these prospects and making them decline an offer. Does the staff actually believe they are capable of recruiting these players? Or that their program offers enough to attract these players? If they do not get high interest immediately do they forge ahead? I have my doubts...

So whether they ignore these prospects to begin with, give up too soon or simply lack the salesmanship to close top prospects doesn't really matter. They're not getting any of them - even with a built in advantage.

It raises many questions, but my opinion/point is simply that an aggressive and capable recruiter would/should have capitalized and UNH would/could be back on track...
        Got it. I just wasn’t sure whether you thought they were chasing NH kids. Have to imagine they are. But you’re right - doesn’t matter if they aren’t in Durham in the end.
        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE
          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Big day for UNH. Reminds me of the BC fans languishing under their prior AD, and the new AD Kraft comes in in 2020 and hires Hafley who puts them on an upward trajectory for football.

Let's hope the new AD has a similar impact (and looks outside of the UNH alum network).
            The Souza record:
            15-16 10th place
            16-17 10th place
            17-18 11th place
            18-19 8th place
            19-20 9th place
            20-21 10th place
            21-22 9th place
            22-23 10th place

Comment

• This is exceptional news, an optimistic day and a critical moment for the future of UNH Athletics - potentially a great moment for M/W Hockey (destroyed), M/W Basketball (ignored) and Football (rose & fell in spite of the department). Congrats on the strong soccer hire - quite a legacy...
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poiE...yrantDrenarino
                UNH

Comment

• Absolutely wonderful news.

Perhaps based on James Dean word choice "with mixed feelings" and the results of the 2021 Athletics Financial Health Report which showed UNH Athletics was losing 2-3 million a year he may have been pushed out. However it went down, hopefully the new AD is young and hungry and makes a push the get the hockey program relevant again. If they hire someone who fits that mold - Souza's days are limited.

Comment

• I am unsure about when exactly Ryan Bamford took over at UMass but when he had the opp to bring in Carvel and Co he didn't hesitate. Of course that opportunity presented it self (they were leaving St. Lawrence but only as a packaged deal). You know the rest of that story. Who knows what the immediate future holds for UNH but I hope they cast a wide net. As you say Teez, young and hungry.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by teez View Post
                      Absolutely wonderful news.

Perhaps based on James Dean word choice "with mixed feelings" and the results of the 2021 Athletics Financial Health Report which showed UNH Athletics was losing 2-3 million a year he may have been pushed out. However it went down, hopefully the new AD is young and hungry and makes a push the get the hockey program relevant again. If they hire someone who fits that mold - Souza's days are limited.
                      Wouldn’t be surprised AT ALL if Marty was shown the door. A push to make hockey relevant has to be the priority. UNH is a hockey school, hands down. No disrespect to football, basketball or the other programs, but Men’s Hockey is the real money maker for the university (well it once was and needs to be again), the fact it’s been sucking wind for so long now has got to be an issue with Jimmy Dean. I have no idea who’s available out there, but they better be a hockey guy or gal, anything less is not acceptable.
                      GO BLUE!

Comment

• Slept on the news, and this is the most optimistic I've felt in a long time.

(Hopeful thinking)

Dean has seen how far the hockey program has fallen and maybe the feather in his cap would be to build up a foundation to get it relevant again. Huddleston didn't care - he was focused more on academics. Completely understandable, no gripes there. He had some wins and was able to incorporate Franklin Pierce Law into the UNH system.

Coming from UNC, Dean is familiar with a top athletics program and the pride associated with it. UNH is no UNC but if the hockey team could crack another top 10 and rattle off a few tournament appearances - we'd all be ecstatic. Even more than appeasing the fans, it could mean the hockey program goes back to being a money maker. I'm guessing the Whitt is a white elephant at this point.

Maybe this lights a fire under Souza's *** and we get some better hockey in the interim.

Comment

I wonder how big a budget the new AD would have
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

• I predict Steve Metcalf gets the job
                            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                              I predict Steve Metcalf gets the job
                              What if you promoted Souza and hired a new coach?

The one thing I think they should do is hire someone with ties to the school or area. Not that this guarantees success but I think they have a better shot than a complete outsider.
                              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                                I predict Steve Metcalf gets the job
                                I think half of us fear you will be proven correct.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X