Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Rumor in Durham ---Scarano is announcing his retirement.

Chuck will be dancing a a jig. :-)
    I'm on my way to Durham. I'll buy drinks for everyone (except Marty) once this is official! Can we shred his rolodex to remove Umile from input in any process?
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Next - Jack Sadowski, Cole Eiserman...

Eiserman seems like a complete no chance at the moment; Sadowski would be an eye opening defector but theres a pattern beginning to develop.

Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Rumor in Durham ---Scarano is announcing his retirement.

Chuck will be dancing a a jig. :-)
        Until they simply promote from within...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Until they simply promote from within...
          Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          Under UNH admin policy, everyone leaving gets to identify their successor. Warm up the chair for Metcalf.
          Just when I was thinking there was a glimmer of hope ...

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

I'm on my way to Durham. I'll buy drinks for everyone (except Marty) once this is official! Can we shred his rolodex to remove Umile from input in any process?
            Tito's and cran please lol.
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• To be clear, Jim Dean stated unequivocally that there would be a nationwide search. We will see.
              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Dan, I’m interested in whether you don’t think they’ve pursued these NH kids or whether they have been unsuccessful. Because I would have a hard time believing the former.

Not arguing with you, just trying to understand your perspective.

Comment

• Confirmed:

Longtime UNH athletic director Marty Scarano announced he'll retire at end of the 2021-22 athletic year.Tom King (@Telegraph_TomK)
                  https://unhwildcats.com/news/2021/11...etirement.aspx

University President James Dean announced a national search to find a new Director of Athletics will begin immediately. Scarano is expected to remain at the University through the end of the academic year and assist in the transition process.

"It is with mixed feelings that I announce Marty Scarano will retire as director of athletics at the end of the current season after 22 years with the university," Dean said. "I am grateful for Marty's strong commitment to the university, the athletics program and all our student-athletes."
                  Place your drink orders now.

LOL at "mixed feelings" Nice ambiguity.

"At the end of the athletic year" means Souza has security through next year.

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  Dan, I'm interested in whether you don't think they've pursued these NH kids or whether they have been unsuccessful. Because I would have a hard time believing the former.
                  Hard time believing UNH pursued these legacies? These are elite players, so if UNH was not pursuing them that is one type of problem. I suspect for most its the latter. A kid like Muir is borderline, so he could be the former, but for Morrow, Rickwood, Wood, etc., they're elite talent.
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 11-22-2021, 02:24 PM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Confirmed:

https://unhwildcats.com/news/2021/11...etirement.aspx

Place your drink orders now.

LOL at "mixed feelings" Nice ambiguity.

"At the end of the athletic year" means Souza has security through next year.

Hard time believing UNH pursued these legacies? These are elite players, so if UNH was not pursuing them that is one type of problem. I suspect for most its the latter. A kid like Muir is borderline, so he could be the former, but for Morrow, Rickwood, Wood, etc., they're elite talent.

jeez, Watcher - please carefully reread Dan’s post and my response.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post

jeez, Watcher - please carefully reread Dan’s post and my response.
                      Apologies. Got tripped up in the negatives. What kind of drink will you want?

But it's a week of Giving Thanks. I wish I knew the AD market to see who they will want. A hockey school, or broader perspective?
                      Either way, the new AD will have clean slate to learn the programs the first year, and decide what to do.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                        Dan, I’m interested in whether you don’t think they’ve pursued these NH kids or whether they have been unsuccessful. Because I would have a hard time believing the former.

Not arguing with you, just trying to understand your perspective.
                        Im not sure, I don't have any inside information and I'm not sure it matters - the reality that they are landing none of these prospects for whom they should have an inside track is problematic no matter the reason. It's a failure.

I would also have a hard time believing they haven't pursued these kids - but what does 'pursued' mean. I have a hard time forgetting Souza's line about wanting kids who 'want' UNH - that is an issue, because these kids do not know what they want and it is the recruiter's job to convince them they want UNH. Period. It is certainly strange not to hear any link between many of these kids and UNH throughout the process, however...

There are FAR too many Division I coaches - in every sport - who make the recruiting decision for the prospect, because they fear losing out on a recruit or 'wasting their time' pursuing a top player. It's FAR from uncommon and I'm certainly not convinced UNH is putting the full court press on these prospects and making them decline an offer. Does the staff actually believe they are capable of recruiting these players? Or that their program offers enough to attract these players? If they do not get high interest immediately do they forge ahead? I have my doubts...

So whether they ignore these prospects to begin with, give up too soon or simply lack the salesmanship to close top prospects doesn't really matter. They're not getting any of them - even with a built in advantage.

It raises many questions, but my opinion/point is simply that an aggressive and capable recruiter would/should have capitalized and UNH would/could be back on track...

Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

• There are always PLENTY of people who want your (fill in the blank - customers, girlfriend, recruits, VP of Marketing, ad infinitum) so you better be going after theirs or you will end up like ....... UNH Hockey. If you are not growing, you are dying.

Tom Nolan had offers from Michigan St, BU and others - He CHOSE UNH. Sean Collins had offers from everywhere - He CHOSE UNH. Go down the list of UNH greats and most had choices elsewhere. Why did they come to UNH? Ask McCloskey, Coady, Norton, Cullen and others who went out and SOLD some 18-20 year olds on why coming to Durham was worth their time.

Comment

• Good for Mike Robinson!

The #HockeyEast Men's Goaltender of the Week is Mike Robinson, who made 32 saves and only allowed 1 goal for @UNHMHOCKEY
                            on Saturday in a 2-1 OT win over UMass. Robinson finished the contest with a .970 sv%.

I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

I wish I knew the AD market to see who they will want. A hockey school, or broader perspective?
                              Either way, the new AD will have clean slate to learn the programs the first year, and decide what to do.
                              Football in bad need of a reset as well as hockey....

UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

Football in bad need of a reset as well as hockey....
                                We'll always have the librarian's scoreboard
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...