Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    He's done it before...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMHY-IEjgys

Look how much bigger the crowds were even then. Listen to how much more Poturalski scored than anyone on the current roster.
    Last edited by Dan; 11-18-2021, 12:01 AM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

He's done it before...

Look how much bigger the crowds were even then. Listen to how much more Poturalski scored than anyone on the current roster.
      "With his 19th goal of the season 39th point..." SIGH. Just a gifted player, a hell of a skater. Great line too; with TyK and Dan Correale. As I recall that 2016 season ended at MC as UNH lost 2 of 3 (that last game was a nightmare) Anyways... And wow, look at those crowds! HR was def there I took this of him when he was at the B's training camp (used to go with some friends; Brandon Tanev, Harvard's Ryan Donato was at this particular camp as well as a bunch of other HE skaters) Those...were the days. (well for me anyway at that point of my UNH fandom!)

The kid can score
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-18-2021, 09:37 AM.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

He's done it before...

Lest we forget he was also a Hobey top 10 candidate along with TyK the following year.

Comment

Watching the lack of quality defending at Grand Rapids (the first goal by Rees on your video is even worse) reminds me why my beloved Wings have been at the bottom of the NHL barrel until recently, and have needed to find blue line help from draft picks and free agent acquisitions. Catastrophic ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

So gee with both of us being grown adults, and, living in a country that allows for 'free speech' I've made my point, you've made yours. I usually skip over any Mr. Magoo references you make anyway. Kind of reminds me of the OJ trial when Johnny Cochran would say a bunch of stuff that wasn't allowed, he'd get admonished by the 'judge' Lance Ito, apologize, and just keep on doing it. Point was, that the jury heard it anyway. Ho hum. And please, don't even get me started on things being 'politicized'...I believe your side has done plenty of that. ha!
            Fixed your post, 'Ref. :-)

Comment

• Ah Pots! Yes Ref that was the last really dynamic line that we have had. He was so much fun to watch. Have wonder if he left to soon, as he like poor Darren just seem to languish in the AHL while being clearly very dominant. Hey who do we blame for that?

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                Ah Pots! Yes Ref that was the last really dynamic line that we have had. He was so much fun to watch. Have wonder if I he left to soon, as he like poor Darren just seem to languish in the AHL while being clearly very dominant. Hey who do we blame for that?
                I know too bad...playing with TyK for one more year would have been great amd Lord knows we could have used him! As far as to why he left I think he was ready...remembered that he came to UNH a year later than planned because he had broken his leg in Jrs....maybe just ready to.go and the offer was made..

Also know where he's been AHL wise; has won a Caldor Cup..MVP....so he has made a name for himself.. love to see him in the show of course (as would he I imagine).

We could use a player like Pots.

Comment

• Latest NCAA Men's Soccer news here on USCHO Dos ... UNH will host North Carolina on Sunday at THTBSB, 2:00 p.m. kickoff. UNC advanced via penalties against Loyola Maryland, so they should be pretty tired, whilst UNH should be well-rested and (hopefully) loaded for bear (or Tar Heels, anyway). Sadly, our cherished friends from UVM lost in the prelims 1-0 to Villanova.

Tourney Bracket

2021 Division I Men's Soccer Official Bracket | NCAA.com

Comment

• Game day! Hope you caught some of the lunar eclipse; pretty cool. Not that I didn't know it given last weekend but reading this article seems for sure Fessenden is UNH's man going forward. Also regardless of the UMass injury situation, they will be formidable. Go 'Cats!

HR's predicts:

Friday: UMass 3 UNH 1
                    Sat: UMass 2 UNH 1

FWIW dept! Good luck soccer 'Cats!

Comment

• Thanks for the link to the article, 'Ref. Here's an excerpt on the coaching approach with Fessenden, which I'm guessing a few of you will already know how I feel about it ...

-----

Fessenden had 25 saves in Friday night's win over Vermont and 17 in the 3-3 tie the next night. Vermont got an extra point in the standings for a win in the shootout.

"I'm sure he'd like to have a couple of the goals back," Souza said. "The two-on-one and certainly the third goal on Saturday. That's what I like. He's a competitive kid. He takes ownership for the way he plays."

Fessenden fills a lot of net at 6-foot-6 and 230 pounds.

"He's big and he blocks a lot of pucks and a lot of pucks hit him," Souza said.

Wildcat All American and former National Hockey league goalie Ty Conklin, UNH's goaltending coach, works with Fessenden as well as senior Mike Robinson and sophomore Jeremy Forman.

"David and Ty are working on being more efficient, trusting his size and maybe not moving quite as much," Souza said. "I think Ty has done a great job with him."

----------

One of our fellow posters recently described Fessenden as "Herman Munster on skates", or something like that. I'm guessing that made Fessenden and his coaches very, very happy indeed, based on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        Thanks for the link to the article, 'Ref. Here's an excerpt on the coaching approach with Fessenden, which I'm guessing a few of you will already know how I feel about it ...

-----

Fessenden had 25 saves in Friday night's win over Vermont and 17 in the 3-3 tie the next night. Vermont got an extra point in the standings for a win in the shootout.

"I'm sure he'd like to have a couple of the goals back," Souza said. "The two-on-one and certainly the third goal on Saturday. That's what I like. He's a competitive kid. He takes ownership for the way he plays."

Fessenden fills a lot of net at 6-foot-6 and 230 pounds.

"He's big and he blocks a lot of pucks and a lot of pucks hit him," Souza said.

Wildcat All American and former National Hockey league goalie Ty Conklin, UNH's goaltending coach, works with Fessenden as well as senior Mike Robinson and sophomore Jeremy Forman.

"David and Ty are working on being more efficient, trusting his size and maybe not moving quite as much," Souza said. "I think Ty has done a great job with him."

----------

One of our fellow posters recently described Fessenden as "Herman Munster on skates", or something like that. I'm guessing that made Fessenden and his coaches very, very happy indeed, based on this.
                        Right? Just block the shots which, I think he's done pretty well. Of course I'd rather see FEWER pucks coming his way that just bounce off the guy... Anyway, here's a question...why does BC, Harvard have a person in front of their HC's name in the rosters?
                        The Robert D. Ziff '88 Head Coach for Harvard Men's Ice Hockey I've always been curious about that. Prob an obvious answer, but you know, HR needs to be educated on ALL THINGS HOCKEY! ha!

Comment

Right? Just block the shots which, I think he's done pretty well. Of course I'd rather see FEWER pucks coming his way that just bounce off the guy... Anyway, here's a question...why does BC, Harvard have a person in front of their HC's name in the rosters?
                          The Robert D. Ziff '88 Head Coach for Harvard Men's Ice Hockey I've always been curious about that. Prob an obvious answer, but you know, HR needs to be educated on ALL THINGS HOCKEY! ha!
                          I would assume they are endowed positions, meaning that an alum (Ziff, in this case), ponied up enough that allows Harvard to draw on the investment returns to fund all or part of the salary. Happens a lot with endowed academic department heads and professors.

To fund a $200K salary, you could safely assume that someone has to donate ~$5M or so to ensure perpetual funding of the role.
                          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post

I would assume they are endowed positions, meaning that an alum (Ziff, in this case), ponied up enough that allows Harvard to draw on the investment returns to fund all or part of the salary. Happens a lot with endowed academic department heads and professors.

To fund a $200K salary, you could safely assume that someone has to donate ~$5M or so to ensure perpetual funding of the role.
                            Thanks! I'll get right on that. Can see it now "The HR '80 Head Coach for UNH Men's Hockey" haha (which, can't happen because I"m not a UNH grad...) That's what I thought; it's all about the funding. Bummed I'm going to miss that Harvard game. oh well. Can't go to them all....Passing on UMass tonight; but will watch from home as hubby just brought in a 75 inch tv. Will make Fessenden be larger than life itself!

Comment

Thanks! I'll get right on that. Can see it now "The HR '80 Head Coach for UNH Men's Hockey" haha (which, can't happen because I"m not a UNH grad...) That's what I thought; it's all about the funding. Bummed I'm going to miss that Harvard game. oh well. Can't go to them all....Passing on UMass tonight; but will watch from home as hubby just brought in a 75 inch tv. Will make Fessenden be larger than life itself!
                              I am confident they will take your dough.

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• "Clips from UNH Men's Hockey Weekly Press Conference 11-17-2021"
                                Includes Q&A w/Coach Souza, junior goalie David Fessenden & sophomore defenseman Nikolai Jenson.
                                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X