Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Ex-Bentley forward Jakov Novak gets GWG and insurance goal for Hounds. BU got swept in OOC games this weekend, and the Sons of Scotty Borek beat the Chestnut Hillbillies. Why cannot we get coaches like dat? Oh. ….. wait …..
    In summary, with Jakov Novak’s two goals on Saturday night, along with a goal on Friday night, and his GW PPG in OT at the Bentley Arena on 18 October 2018 (anyone remember that one?), he has scored four goals in four games against UNH (he did not get any points in his freshman year game at the Whitt, although he was 10-2 in FOW).

Comment

• "Hello MARTY?? MARTY?? CAN YOU HEAR ME??? It's Steve calling from Amesbury. Hey (calling to his asst), are the phones and internet not working up in Durham? MARTY!!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME!!!!

Hey (calling to the asst again), somethings wrong here. I can hear a dial tone in Durham, but get no pulse up there. I called the old inside, 5 alarm fire number from back in the day, and even Marty's secret cell, nothing. WHERE THE H&!1 IS MARTY??? Is he seeing whats going on at the SitSomeMore Center? People are now calling for reserves from the NHIAA. From the Friday video feed, I thought that was what was on the ice. I just tried Souza's cell and it went right to voicemail. Said he was up at Notre Dame arena in Berlin for the weekend, WhatTheFarge!

Call Sununu and check with the USCHO Cafe Basement Brigade. I think this might finally be that Covid thingy kicking into high gear. Looks like it is raging on Babcock Street as well.

WHAT!!!???? (hearing his asst yelling in). You just heard that they are using Ivermectin at Boston Arnea, Mullins and maybe North Andover? Is Fauci on speed dial?"
      Last edited by Whalers; 11-08-2021, 09:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

In summary, with Jakov Novak’s two goals on Saturday night, along with a goal on Friday night, and his GW PPG in OT at the Bentley Arena on 18 October 2018 (anyone remember that one?), he has scored four goals in four games against UNH (he did not get any points in his freshman year game at the Whitt, although he was 10-2 in FOW).
        Yes, sigh, I do remember that one....I left just before the OT to get to my car which was parked wayyyy out to beat the crowd; and, heard the cheering. Turned on the game and yep, we had lost. Gee glad we aren't playing Bentley this season...?
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Based on the 'smell test' so far I'm finding it unlikely to envision UNH finishing above 9th. It's a long season but it looks like the three northern New England state schools will finish 9th,10th & 11th.

With that said, if I'm a UVM or UMaine fan, I'm feeling optimistic about the future. We know the story with Barr and Woodcroft is in his second year and it looks like he's recruiting heavily over in Europe. A Freshman class with guys from Finland, Russia, Latvia, Sweden, Slovakia & Kazakhstan. Makes sense given his background as an assistant coach with Belarus, Switzerland and Sweden's national teams. If he hits on a couple recruits and gets some momentum, they may have something there. Who knows, maybe they won't...but it appears that there is a PLAN there and he's going for it.

What kills me is that UNH doesn't have a plan. Recruiting the Massachusetts kids who weren't good enough for the 4-6 HE schools above UNH in the pecking order inspires little confidence that things are moving in an interesting direction let alone having a plan.

Back to UVM for a second. Kevin Sneddon was HC at UVM for 15 years with one early Frozen Four trip in 2009 followed by ~10 years of mediocrity. Is that the norm? Do these coaches really get a ~10 year shot with a program? I dug around a little more to see the average tenure for 'mediocre' HC East coaches. Seems like it's roughly 8 years. Yikes.
          Last edited by teez; 11-08-2021, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
            "Hello MARTY?? MARTY?? CAN YOU HEAR ME??? It's Steve calling from Amesbury. Hey (calling to his asst), are the phones and internet not working up in Durham? MARTY!!!! CAN YOU HEAR ME!!!!

Hey (calling to the asst again), somethings wrong here. I can hear a dial tone in Durham, but get no pulse up there. I called the old inside, 5 alarm fire number from back in the day, and even Marty's secret cell, nothing. WHERE THE H&!1 IS MARTY??? Is he seeing whats going on at the SitSomeMore Center? People are now calling for reserves from the NHIAA. From the Friday video feed, I thought that was what was on the ice. I just tried Souza's cell and it went right to voicemail. Said he was up at Notre Dame arena in Berlin for the weekend, WhatTheFarge!

Call Sununu and check with the USCHO Cafe Basement Brigade. I think this might finally be that Covid thingy kicking into high gear. Looks like it is raging on Babcock Street as well.

WHAT!!!???? (hearing his asst yelling in). You just heard that they are using Ivermectin at Boston Arnea, Mullins and maybe North Andover? Is Fauci on speed dial?"
            Gotta love it. Remember when some folks were thinking that Nigel getting the HEA Commish's job was a positive marker for the future of UNH Hockey? Ha ha ha. Given Nige's roots, we'll be lucky if his first real signature policy initiative isn't to have relegation/promotion introduced between HEA and Atlantic Hockey. Then again, MS7 might break .500 in the old league ...

Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by teez View Post
              Based on the 'smell test' so far I'm finding it unlikely to envision UNH finishing above 9th. It's a long season but it looks like the three northern New England state schools will finish 9th,10th & 11th.

With that said, if I'm a UVM or UMaine fan, I'm feeling optimistic about the future. We know the story with Barr and Woodcroft is in his second year and it looks like he's recruiting heavily over in Europe. A Freshman class with guys from Finland, Russia, Latvia, Sweden, Slovakia & Kazakhstan. Makes sense given his background as an assistant coach with Belarus, Switzerland and Sweden's national teams. If he hits on a couple recruits and gets some momentum, they may have something there. Who knows, maybe they won't...but it appears that there is a PLAN there and he's going for it.

What kills me is that UNH doesn't have a plan. Recruiting the Massachusetts kids who weren't good enough for the 4-6 HE schools above UNH in the pecking order inspires little confidence that things are moving in an interesting direction let alone having a plan.

Back to UVM for a second. Kevin Sneddon was HC at UVM for 15 years with one early Frozen Four trip in 2009 followed by ~10 years of mediocrity. Is that the norm? Do these coaches really get a ~10 year shot with a program? I dug around a little more to see the average tenure for 'mediocre' HC East coaches. Seems like it's 8 years roughly. Yikes.
              Yes, that appears to be the norm (not The Norm, although Bazin's program has been doing some slow Umile-style backsliding in the post-Hellebuyck era). The monument to mediocrity down in Storrs just got extended for having all of zero (0) winning seasons in almost a decade, just because he's convinced some folks York can't win the big ones without him. He's obviously not alone, but he's the Exhibit A that HEA is basically a glorified big boys club that comes along with lifetime membership. Some coaches have earned that; others just convince their AD's they've earned it.

Borek isn't even sniffing at what Dennehy accomplished at MC, but he's getting glad hands now, too.

Was it my imagination, or is Jerry Keefe (NU HC) almost as fat as Jason Fortier (UMaine AHC)?

Just don't want my UMaine-iac pals to think I'm singling out their guy at the expense of others ...

Comment

• Originally posted by teez View Post
                Based on the 'smell test' so far I'm finding it unlikely to envision UNH finishing above 9th. It's a long season but it looks like the three northern New England state schools will finish 9th,10th & 11th.

Back to UVM for a second. Kevin Sneddon was HC at UVM for 15 years with one early Frozen Four trip in 2009 followed by ~10 years of mediocrity. Is that the norm? Do these coaches really get a ~10 year shot with a program? I dug around a little more to see the average tenure for 'mediocre' HC East coaches. Seems like it's roughly 8 years. Yikes.
                Well, if there IS a plan, we sure won't ever know it as we fans are completely shut out of any real news other than a few clips we get from the pressers (which used to be available to everyone; now, just select press and thank goodness some of them do share a few clips) and not to mention, no more FOH meetings where these questions would be asked, and, answered. Souza doesn't want any of that I suspect? I could be wrong about that. Anyway, we are recruiting outside of the 'box' so to speak. See Ericksonn, Engaras, and two new recruits from across the pond I believe. These two which I lifted off CHC's UNH Mens Hockey Blog . And, thanks to Mike for sharing what he finds out through this blog.
                Stiven Sardaryan
                2/7/03 (F)
                - Youngstown Phantoms USHL 2 1 0 1 4 -1
                Kristaps Skrastins

Comment

• So haven’t posted in a while, but have been watching all season. Have to say not very encouraged in what I have seen this year, or the last couple of years. Have been more then willing to give Souza a chance to see what we can do. Think we have seen enough to know that some sort of change needs to happen, maybe at the top or at the assistant level. I know there is a lot of people on here who like to bring up Umile, some justified criticism and some not so justified. But there always seems to a player or two every year who made that big jump in their play. I do not think we have seen that the last couple of years. I struggle to watch this team and figure out their identity is. We know they are not an offensive juggernaut, not even close. In years past always had the one player who would be the identity of the team, I do not see that this year. Watching last Friday’s game will give credit that the first period they looked good, but did not adapt when Northeastern started to play more aggressive and go more towards the net. Can’t remember the last time I have been in game changes that were positive. Seems that the same lines keep rolling out all game, and no change on special teams. I am no Scotty Bowman but can figure out if its not working might be time to change things up. When you are 57 out of 59 teams on offensive and 51st in Power Play it might be time to change your lines up and your strategy. Watching the games over the weekend was like watching a modern day NBA game, shot for the outside and put no pressure on by the net. You have a few big bodies that should be down low screening and clearing the way to crash the next, but yet still going with the same failed strategy. Every time I hear an interview with Souza I do not get the sense of urgency and that somehow things will magically get better. There are many little things I notices during the games that back that up for me. When ever there is a time out I look and see the other team around a whiteboard talking strategy, and look at the UNH bench and rarely ever see that. Do not see any fire to get the team going or even argue with the Ref to show the team he has their back. Have also notice how the team is always sitting on the bench while the other team is usually on their feet cheering on their team and getting into the game, while the UNH bench looks like a morgue. Do I know what all the answers are, of course not. I do know from watching the last couple of decades and a lifetime of watching hockey at all levels that what is going on now is just now working. Can see if on the ice and now reflecting in the stands with the dwindling attendance and lack of passion from the fans. I will keep going to games, at least thru this year since I have already paid for my tickets, and hope things turn around but the optimism I usually have has gone away and not its just wishful thinking. Sadly I do not expect to see any changes as the AD’s office has shown their lack of commitment to the team and to the fans. Here is to hopefully being wrong and there is a good run coming up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                    So haven’t posted in a while, but have been watching all season. Have to say not very encouraged in what I have seen this year, or the last couple of years. Have been more then willing to give Souza a chance to see what we can do. Think we have seen enough to know that some sort of change needs to happen, maybe at the top or at the assistant level. I know there is a lot of people on here who like to bring up Umile, some justified criticism and some not so justified. But there always seems to a player or two every year who made that big jump in their play. I do not think we have seen that the last couple of years. I struggle to watch this team and figure out their identity is. We know they are not an offensive juggernaut, not even close. In years past always had the one player who would be the identity of the team, I do not see that this year. Watching last Friday’s game will give credit that the first period they looked good, but did not adapt when Northeastern started to play more aggressive and go more towards the net. Can’t remember the last time I have been in game changes that were positive. Seems that the same lines keep rolling out all game, and no change on special teams. I am no Scotty Bowman but can figure out if its not working might be time to change things up. When you are 57 out of 59 teams on offensive and 51st in Power Play it might be time to change your lines up and your strategy. Watching the games over the weekend was like watching a modern day NBA game, shot for the outside and put no pressure on by the net. You have a few big bodies that should be down low screening and clearing the way to crash the next, but yet still going with the same failed strategy. Every time I hear an interview with Souza I do not get the sense of urgency and that somehow things will magically get better. There are many little things I notices during the games that back that up for me. When ever there is a time out I look and see the other team around a whiteboard talking strategy, and look at the UNH bench and rarely ever see that. Do not see any fire to get the team going or even argue with the Ref to show the team he has their back. Have also notice how the team is always sitting on the bench while the other team is usually on their feet cheering on their team and getting into the game, while the UNH bench looks like a morgue. Do I know what all the answers are, of course not. I do know from watching the last couple of decades and a lifetime of watching hockey at all levels that what is going on now is just now working. Can see if on the ice and now reflecting in the stands with the dwindling attendance and lack of passion from the fans. I will keep going to games, at least thru this year since I have already paid for my tickets, and hope things turn around but the optimism I usually have has gone away and not its just wishful thinking. Sadly I do not expect to see any changes as the AD’s office has shown their lack of commitment to the team and to the fans. Here is to hopefully being wrong and there is a good run coming up.
                    Hey Nifty great post and dead on I think. I think Souza expects them to know their roles so there's not much in game adjustments going on? (his words!) I have seen some action on the bench when I sent at CI so there's that but know exactly what you are saying. You mention that kid with the 'jump' in their skate and I know what you mean there too. I think Liam Devlin is close; and that might not be an opinion shared by many given how the overall picture looks. But, he does crash the net, and, he's aggressive. Kind of reminds me of Matt Willows (that's all I have for reference given my time following). Who knows? But I will say that your sentiments are reflective of many and valuable. UNH hockey can't afford to lose any more longtime fans like you!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      I think Liam Devlin is close; and that might not be an opinion shared by many given how the overall picture looks. But, he does crash the net, and, he's aggressive.
                      Agreed. I like what I've seen from him so far. He's got some speed and was the lone bright spot when they got trounced by Providence on the road a couple Friday's ago.

Comment

• Great observations Nifty. I can’t think of a flatter presentation than what we see with MS. I too have noticed the lack of “coaching” during breaks in play. Couple of years ago I sat in the row behind the UMass bench in Amherst. Talk about coaching and feedback, each coach spoke to each kid after every shift. It might have just been an ata boy or perhaps a quick tip, but it was constant and the kids listened and appeared to appreciate it.
                        Just no energy coming from the bench. I am willing to take the minority view and say that there is talent on this team. Correct that there are no pure goal scores. But we have several top skaters and some with very decent stick skills. But as noted, few seem to truly develop from year to year. With our recent records, giving more ice time to some of the bottom 6+ might get us a couple of improved players going forward.

Comment

• 'Ref, it looks like your "call out" from a few days ago seems to have worked.

Great to have some added feedback, even if it's more of the ongoing negatives (sad but true).

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            'Ref, it looks like your "call out" from a few days ago seems to have worked.

Great to have some added feedback, even if it's more of the ongoing negatives (sad but true).
                            yes! I'm glad to see it!!! Love the convo even if it is as you say...ongoing negatives. Soooo trying to find the bright spots... I think the fans are just plain frustrated...seeing other posts in other boards about just how much UNH has fallen is disheartening as well. I hope that we get some good play in this weekend the team needs it, the fans need it. Watched some of the NU v Harvard game last night. Bummed I'm going to miss our Harvard game as will be on vacation with family and promised I'd leave hockey behind for ONE night haha.

Looking forward to hearing the next addition of the student podcast and tomorrow being Wednesday, maybe we get a few sound bites (but am not counting on much).

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                              Great observations Nifty. I can’t think of a flatter presentation than what we see with MS. I too have noticed the lack of “coaching” during breaks in play. Couple of years ago I sat in the row behind the UMass bench in Amherst. Talk about coaching and feedback, each coach spoke to each kid after every shift. It might have just been an ata boy or perhaps a quick tip, but it was constant and the kids listened and appeared to appreciate it.
                              Just no energy coming from the bench. I am willing to take the minority view and say that there is talent on this team. Correct that there are no pure goal scores. But we have several top skaters and some with very decent stick skills. But as noted, few seem to truly develop from year to year. With our recent records, giving more ice time to some of the bottom 6+ might get us a couple of improved players going forward.
                              I don't think you will see much more on the bench from MS than you do. He's said he does no in game adjustments; the players know their roles....

Comment

• Recognizing the limited options to move things around, I am surprised Cafarelli hasn't gotten game action. He at least offers offensive skills (40 points in 42 BCHL games as an 18 yo), and would seem to be Souza's type of player (Austin Prep, North suburbs, etc). That he and Richels are DNPs, and Gendron has regressed, really decimates the sophomore class (only Luke Reid and Nikolai Jensen) Hard to rebuild when the newer recruited classes are non-competitive.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X