Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty hard to watch. The skill gap between NU and UNH is just huge. The only time they were evenly matched was when UNH was on one of their 7-8 power plays. Hopefully they can piece something together next weekend.

Comment

• Ex-Bentley forward Jakov Novak gets GWG and insurance goal for Hounds. BU got swept in OOC games this weekend, and the Sons of Scotty Borek beat the Chestnut Hillbillies. Why cannot we get coaches like dat? Oh. ….. wait …..

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Ex-Bentley forward Jakov Novak gets GWG and insurance goal for Hounds. BU got swept in OOC games this weekend, and the Sons of Scotty Borek beat the Chestnut Hillbillies. Why cannot we get coaches like dat? Oh. ….. wait …..
        Love it! At least we know we aren't alone in our sorrows...Let's go Mens (and Womens) Soccer!
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post

So, I answered your post last week. Ryan Philbrick, from Concord, a defenseman with 100 points through 59 games as a junior, is easily best player in the NHIAA. And his coach questions whether he will go D1. Compared him to Mounsey in an article, but even Mounsey went to Avon from Concord after a year.

I know you were joking, but I think the State of Hockey’s HS talent pool is just a smidge deeper. Kind of a “lob-sided” comparison.
          Thanks. What’s not to like about this kid? Great stats, solid leader, humble, loyal, his coach compares him to Mounsey and it sounds like no D-I schools are interested. Maybe he can join the ’cats after a year at Rivers playing for Freddy Meyer. Seriously, he has his own plans which might have nothing to do with UNH, but if a player like this is interested, I’m all in on seeing if he can develop to playing regular third pairing minutes as a JR. Larger point, NH youth players with potential to develop into anything close to Philbrick should be on UNH’s radar early and more importantly UNH should be on theirs.
          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
            Going back to my where would the top NHIAA talent project on this team post from a week ago, if this is where we are (it is), let's own NH. NHIAA players should know that if they have even modest NCAA D-I aspirations there is a development spot for them with the state's flagship U. Think you need a year to develop? Can't afford prep? Fine, practice with the team for FR/SO years, maybe start seeing game ice time as a JR. The recruiting cost in NH is basically zero, skating locals would generate fan interest, put UNH hockey more on the local radar, and what the heck, if we are going to score 1 - 2 goals/game and be sub .500 let's do it with more local players. A strategy to get back to the top of HEA? In and of itself, no, but NH kids play on travel teams throughout New England, maybe the word spreads. "Trust in predictability of talent or youth" and the ability to develop players would be important.
            UNH is no longer competing with the so-called "Kings of NH Hockey" in ManchVegas, so I don't know why you think loading up the UNH line-up with NH kids would "generate fan interest"? Save for a small hamlet on the VT border, UNH enjoys a virtual monopoly on hockey now. Pushing past "friends & family" level interest we already have now in Titletown should already be a given. But I don't see it ...

... and yes, the ability to develop players would be HUGE. Problem is, MS7 & staff have not shown anything approaching that ability in their several years in charge to date.

Say what you will about Umile, but he and his staff were able to develop their players ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

UNH is no longer competing with the so-called "Kings of NH Hockey" in ManchVegas, so I don't know why you think loading up the UNH line-up with NH kids would "generate fan interest"? Save for a small hamlet on the VT border, UNH enjoys a virtual monopoly on hockey now. Pushing past "friends & family" level interest we already have now in Titletown should already be a given. But I don't see it ...

... and yes, the ability to develop players would be HUGE. Problem is, MS7 & staff have not shown anything approaching that ability in their several years in charge to date.

Say what you will about Umile, but he and his staff were able to develop their players ...
              It would generate this fan's interest. It is all about me, Chuck.

Yeah. That. Sigh.

Comment

• The NHIAA kids can’t play - there’s a reason they’re still playing HS hockey in this day and age where that glimmer of talent is immediately plucked into junior or prep hockey...

Cy Leclerc played one season of HS hockey at Exeter before leaving for JR hockey. He played 16 games for the Blue Hawks (or whatever they are), and then got 60 against better competition the next year w/ the Seacoast 14U AAA club. The NHIAA is not a path to development...

The last kid I can think of to take a similar path was Jamie Ferullo at Spaulding. He played (at least?) three seasons of HS hockey - before playing two with the NH Jr Monarchs. Then he went to Providence and played exactly zero games over one season with the Friars...

Even Carson Richels, a Mr. Hockey Candidate from a MN power is struggling with the adjustment. Although that’s a different story - to a large degree - IMO (why play a ‘risky’ player with big upside when you can play a consistent and known quality who’s reliability to two way play also concedes several goals with none of the offensive upside. It’s coaching 101, really, and the proof is in the Warren Foegel pudding)...

Now, if you’re more excited about a question mark in LeClerc than a question mark from Saskatchewan? Sure, I get that...

If you’d rather have watched UNH be mediocre (maybe slightly better) by rounding out a roster of Steeves brothers, Beaudoins, Cosgroves, Youngs, De Stefanis, Baeyruthers, Gilles, Flintons, etc (Heaven forbid a Hughes or two), absolutely...

There are plenty of talented NH kids - but they don’t play HS. Unfortunately, they don’t want Souza it seems...
                Last edited by Dan; 11-07-2021, 10:36 AM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

• Losing games etc happens to teams but UNH has to be wondering what the heck happened. I mean, aren't they? They do not see how teams like MC are starting to (?) eclipse their program? Nothing personal Merrimack fans (I know Chuck is thinking 'hang a banner') but the day a UNH fan with limited years of experience watching the game at this level, who would have ever thought this would even be a consideration. (Taking into account, of course, for how we've done against MC in the past few years, speaking of 'hanging a banner')

I'm not sure MC is a relevant example; beating BC (yes, I love that!) anytime for any team who has been struggling is always a nice thing, so, maybe I have no reliable evidence of how good they are. Til they play us, that is. This upcoming weekend I think is a very big tell for alot of reasons (I mean, we already know plenty at this point). No way we sweep the weekend; if we get a split that will be huge as we normally don't have great games with UVM. But I think it will tell who's team has more going on at this point in the season...regardless of the scores of the games.

Still lots of season left of course; have to end on that note. But this coming weekend...I think is a big one.
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-07-2021, 11:20 AM.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• That being said - I couldn’t care less where the kids come from, UNH needs talent. They need to look in the mirror and find the reality in what they’ve accomplished in recruiting and CHANGE. The staff needs to be far more aggressive chasing talent period...

NH, Canada, Europe, the moon - enough excuses, go get them.

UNH recruiting classes used to be full of talent - now we get one exciting prospect every couple of years. We celebrate getting commits, with no follow through, from Commesso and Stutzle as proof of Souza’s recruiting prowess and the status quo...

The recruiting has left much to be desired, which was ENTIRELY predictable, for so many reasons. But here’s one anecdote that’s probably slid under the radar - LSSU has a certain FR F w/ four goals, while UNH has no one with more than two!

Who knows if he’d even get that opportunity here - if we played our more offensively inclined kids, they might make mistakes in their own end and give up four goals a night. Oh, wait...

Speaking of personal fan preference - I’d rather lose 6-4 than 4-1...

I know Ref was just having some fun with me repeating Souza’s mantra - but, you know what’s a good life experience? Winning. You know what absolutely does not need to be sacrificed to win? Life experience. Or academics. Or character. That’s the kind of line you hear from coaches who lose...

The schedule gets easier next week and after the UMass/Harvard stretch - but the program has already shown how far away it is from being nationally competitive...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      The NHIAA kids can't play - there's a reason they're still playing HS hockey in this day and age where that glimmer of talent is immediately plucked into junior or prep hockey...

Cy Leclerc played one season of HS hockey at Exeter before leaving for JR hockey. He played 16 games for the Blue Hawks (or whatever they are), and then got 60 against better competition the next year w/ the Seacoast 14U AAA club. The NHIAA is not a path to development...

The last kid I can think of to take a similar path was Jamie Ferullo at Spaulding. He played (at least?) three seasons of HS hockey - before playing two with the NH Jr Monarchs. Then he went to Providence and played exactly zero games over one season with the Friars...

Even Carson Richels, a Mr. Hockey Candidate from a MN power is struggling with the adjustment. Although that's a different story - to a large degree - IMO (why play a "risky" player with big upside when you can play a consistent and known quality who's reliability to two way play also concedes several goals with none of the offensive upside. It's coaching 101, really, and the proof is in the Warren Foegel pudding)...

Now, if you're more excited about a question mark in LeClerc than a question mark from Saskatchewan? Sure, I get that...

If you'd rather have watched UNH be mediocre (maybe slightly better) by rounding out a roster of Steeves brothers, Beaudoins, Cosgroves, Youngs, De Stefanis, Baeyruthers, Gilles, Flintons, etc (Heaven forbid a Hughes or two), absolutely...

There are plenty of talented NH kids - but they don't play HS. Unfortunately, they don't want Souza it seems...

That being said - I couldn’t care less where the kids come from, UNH needs talent. They need to look in the mirror and find the reality in what they’ve accomplished in recruiting and CHANGE. The staff needs to be far more aggressive chasing talent period...

NH, Canada, Europe, the moon - enough excuses, go get them.

UNH recruiting classes used to be full of talent - now we get one exciting prospect every couple of years. We celebrate getting commits, with no follow through, from Commesso and Stutzle as proof of Souza’s recruiting prowess and the status quo...

The recruiting has left much to be desired, which was ENTIRELY predictable, for so many reasons. But here’s one anecdote that’s probably slid under the radar - LSSU has a certain FR F w/ four goals, while UNH has no one with more than two!

Who knows if he’d even get that opportunity here - if we played our more offensively inclined kids, they might make mistakes in their own end and give up four goals a night. Oh, wait...

I know Ref was just having some fun with me repeating Souza’s mantra - but, you know what’s a good life experience? Winning. You know what absolutely does not need to be sacrificed to win? Life experience. Or academics. Or character. That’s the kind of line you hear from coaches who lose...

The schedule gets easier next week and after the UMass/Harvard stretch - but the program has already shown how far away it is from being nationally competitive...
                      Nailed it. The whole frickin' enchilada, sad as the reality is, right down to the ground. Bravo.

Comment

• Just to elaborate on Dan's posts, and why an NHIAA-driven approach doesn't work in hockey ... the NHIAA hockey season generally runs from December thru the end of February, with some postseason play in early March, with total games played being less than 20 games/season. As Dan points out, players get 3-4 times as many games playing prep or junior hockey.

NHIAA | New Hampshire Interscholastic Athletic Association | NH Sports - Schedules: Boys Ice Hockey Division I

Why does it work in (say) soccer, while it doesn't work in hockey? In soccer, girls and boys, NHIAA pre-season begins in mid-August, and the best programs also max out at or just under 20 games over the course of just over two months, with NHIAA final postseason games being played virtually as I'm writing this. Your most talented NHIAA soccer players then have the rest of the season (basically, most of November through June and sometimes well into July) to play for their club teams, where they get more regular exposure to a higher, steadier level of competition (and quite frankly in most cases, better training and coaching) for at least 6 months, if not more. Kids who play the full season, kids who are looking to get to D-1 or even D-3 college slots, have the opportunity to play year-round with a (very loose but still complimentary) HS vs. club arrangement.

Although these days, sometimes the elite club players can opt to bypass their NHIAA eligibility to play year-round club soccer (regionally and nationally). My thought is, kids who do that miss out on a cool experience, and most still opt to enjoy the HS experience with kids they grew up playing with, and who they see at school every day. Especially on the Girls' side, since the number of girls/women who end up earning a livable wage as a player are still pretty few and far between, whereas the Boys' side is impacted by a larger number of top end kids who can see their way to a livable wage as a player due to the rapid and very real expansion of the success and profitability of the domestic US leagues (MLS and even USL).

But in hockey, the structure of the NHIAA season makes it very difficult for players who want to play at the next level to bypass prep or junior opportunities. It's an "either-or" proposition, as opposed to a complimentary/dove-tailed situation. It is what it is. The days of getting ready-made HS kids like Collins, Saviano and (ironically) Souza to jump from HS to D-1 is rare, and getting rarer, mostly because of the factors Dan discusses, and the scheduling realities outlined here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Now, if you’re more excited about a question mark in LeClerc than a question mark from Saskatchewan? Sure, I get that...
                          Precisely.

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          The NHIAA kids can’t play - there’s a reason they’re still playing HS hockey in this day and age where that glimmer of talent is immediately plucked into junior or prep hockey
                          I get that we can’t pluck our top six forwards from the NH high schools. I’m all in if a few of them could play 4th maybe 3rd line as JRs or SRs.

There are plenty of talented NH kids - but they don’t play HS. Unfortunately, they don’t want Souza it seems...
                          I’d like to think we identify the glimmer kids before anyone else. The second part would be a problem.

UNH recruiting classes used to be full of talent - now we get one exciting prospect every couple of years.
                          We used to get four of those guys a year, now we get one every four years.

The 4 – 1 games are tractor pulls. Brutal to watch night after night.

Comment

• From the NU thread:

"UNH - remember when they were relevant? A regular national contender? I increasingly don't. As I watched this game, especially after they couldn't produce a goal on all those power plays at the end of the 1st/start of the 2nd, I thought, if NU gets a second and especially a third, UNH is toast. They didn't have anyone that the Huskies' defense couldn't handle."

Ouch.

Comment

• From the BU thread
                              Jofa replied
                              Yesterday, 08:24 PM
                              We are only in early November and we are supposed just accept playing out the string with a lame duck coach in embarrassing fashion. There is no upside just downside to keep O’Connell on past this weekend. They need to change the culture and fast or they will be on their way to being a subpar program like UNH and Maine who haven’t been relevant in a decade plus.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                                From the BU thread
                                UNH tied with Union for 48th in PWR, ahead of BU in 50th, with Maine and UVM below. Meanwhile, the Sons of Scotty Borek continue to impress.

Comment

Working...
                                X