Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

NU is just a better team period and that's all you have to know about this game tonight....No use ripping the team thought we played as well as we possibly could. Still think Fessenden is a good goalie. Will be tough going on that shorter sheet with NU's quick puck movement.

Highly skilled team does their job...
    To me Fessenden/Robinson is a coin flip, six of one, half dozen of the other. I have nothing against Fessenden (who saw all of 22 shots last night) but man is he painful to watch. Last week a poster compared him to Herman Munster. I disagree. Munster is more athletic.

But goaltending isn't the issue. Averaging one goal a game since the mirage against Union. Hopefully once the coaching staff solves the important problems like postgame handshakes and crowd salutes it can move on to trivial things like jump starting the offense.

And Darius I agree that last night was about UNH being the worse team, not NU being the better one.
    UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
      or UNH is the worse team period and that's all you have to know... I watched parts on TV, fell asleep before the end (long week). Observing us trying to get out of our own zone, finally getting to neutral ice, being gassed and dumping the puck for a line change, we looked like we are from a different league and didn't really belong on the ice with a team like NU. I do appreciate your more positive slant on this ‘Ref, but this sh1t is getting REALLY old.

[FONT=Arial]This! Going back to my where would the top NHIAA talent project on this team post from a week ago, if this is where we are (it is), let's own NH. NHIAA players should know that if they have even modest NCAA D-I aspirations there is a development spot for them with the state's flagship U. Think you need a year to develop? Can’t afford prep? Fine, practice with the team for FR/SO years, maybe start seeing game ice time as a JR. The recruiting cost in NH is basically zero, skating locals would generate fan interest, put UNH hockey more on the local radar, and what the heck, if we are going to score 1 - 2 goals/game and be sub .500 let's do it with more local players. A strategy to get back to the top of HEA? In and of itself, no, but NH kids play on travel teams throughout New England, maybe the word spreads. "Trust in predictability of talent or youth" and the ability to develop players would be important.

The in state line up worked for MN back in the day. Lol.
      I like the idea, as we have not had much success recruiting the elite in-state kids. As for the Gophers, it was a North Dakotan and an Austrian who won them their national championships in 2002 and 2003.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

To me Fessenden/Robinson is a coin flip, six of one, half dozen of the other. I have nothing against Fessenden (who saw all of 22 shots last night) but man is he painful to watch. Last week a poster compared him to Herman Munster. I disagree. Munster is more athletic.

But goaltending isn't the issue. Averaging one goal a game since the mirage against Union. Hopefully once the coaching staff solves the important problems like postgame handshakes and crowd salutes it can move on to trivial things like jump starting the offense.

And Darius I agree that last night was about UNH being the worse team, not NU being the better one.
        Obviously...I think jump starting the offense is obviously the priority I'm more than happy to have them just skate off the ice if they score some goals, trust me...
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Hey I was also surprised by the lack of a salute. Perhaps no Captain and lots of frustration. In terms of the hand shake, it is my memory that in a home and home weekend that they never do it the first night.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
            Hey I was also surprised by the lack of a salute. Perhaps no Captain and lots of frustration. In terms of the hand shake, it is my memory that in a home and home weekend that they never do it the first night.
            Yay! You got on! Well who knows what was up with that. Think you were right about the handshake..haha tonight will be sure to watch for that, and will make it a priority. Ha! Good to see you here ATW...

Comment

• The lines are posted on HE. Have to say that I actually like them. We need to start rolling all 4 lines. Not evenly, but get the third and fourth enough ice time to develop. When teams are struggling, coaches (at UNH) have a tendency to go 1-2, 1-2-3, 1,2-4. And then by the second and third the fourth line is only gets a couple of short shifts.
              for a ream that isn’t winning, it is also a team not developing!

Comment

or UNH is the worse team period and that's all you have to know... I watched parts on TV, fell asleep before the end (long week). Observing us trying to get out of our own zone, finally getting to neutral ice, being gassed and dumping the puck for a line change, we looked like we are from a different league and didn't really belong on the ice with a team like NU. I do appreciate your more positive slant on this ‘Ref, but this sh1t is getting REALLY old.

This! Going back to my where would the top NHIAA talent project on this team post from a week ago, if this is where we are (it is), let's own NH. NHIAA players should know that if they have even modest NCAA D-I aspirations there is a development spot for them with the state's flagship U. Think you need a year to develop? Can’t afford prep? Fine, practice with the team for FR/SO years, maybe start seeing game ice time as a JR. The recruiting cost in NH is basically zero, skating locals would generate fan interest, put UNH hockey more on the local radar, and what the heck, if we are going to score 1 - 2 goals/game and be sub .500 let's do it with more local players. A strategy to get back to the top of HEA? In and of itself, no, but NH kids play on travel teams throughout New England, maybe the word spreads. "Trust in predictability of talent or youth" and the ability to develop players would be important.

Getting old for me too. I just don't know what to say about it anymore. Agree with your take on the NH players. Loved seeing Alex Gagne (Bedford) out there last night and liked his game. Think of the NH players we have not gotten tho, for whatever reason...bet you guys could name quite a few. I've heard Mike Souza remark that you could find a player locally just as easily as going out of state so he's definitely not adverse to that idea (see his recent recruits; a few from MA preps come to mind). Many here were looking for Swedes, etc. Along came Filip E, Kalle E, (almost) Tim S...couple more in the pipleline on the way that seem exciting (we'll see). So Darius would UNH Club Hockey be an option for some of these guys you speak of in your post in the meantime? And what about those club players...any hidden gems in that bunch? Makes you wonder....

HR Predictions for tonight: NU 6 UNH 1 Robinson in net

Comment

Getting old for me too. I just don't know what to say about it anymore. Agree with your take on the NH players. Loved seeing Alex Gagne (Bedford) out there last night and liked his game. Think of the NH players we have not gotten tho, for whatever reason...bet you guys could name quite a few. I've heard Mike Souza remark that you could find a player locally just as easily as going out of state so he's definitely not adverse to that idea (see his recent recruits; a few from MA preps come to mind). Many here were looking for Swedes, etc. Along came Filip E, Kalle E, (almost) Tim S...couple more in the pipleline on the way that seem exciting (we'll see). So Darius would UNH Club Hockey be an option for some of these guys you speak of in your post in the meantime? And what about those club players...any hidden gems in that bunch? Makes you wonder....

HR Predictions for tonight: NU 6 UNH 1 Robinson in net
                  One of the reasons I don’t post much anymore.

Ouch on the prediction. Go big or go home, I suppose. :-) if you are right Robinson may not see game ice until after Thanksgiving.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

This! Going back to my where would the top NHIAA talent project on this team post from a week ago, if this is where we are (it is), let's own NH. NHIAA players should know that if they have even modest NCAA D-I aspirations there is a development spot for them with the state's flagship U. Think you need a year to develop? Can’t afford prep? Fine, practice with the team for FR/SO years, maybe start seeing game ice time as a JR. The recruiting cost in NH is basically zero, skating locals would generate fan interest, put UNH hockey more on the local radar, and what the heck, if we are going to score 1 - 2 goals/game and be sub .500 let's do it with more local players. A strategy to get back to the top of HEA? In and of itself, no, but NH kids play on travel teams throughout New England, maybe the word spreads. "Trust in predictability of talent or youth" and the ability to develop players would be important.

So, I answered your post last week. Ryan Philbrick, from Concord, a defenseman with 100 points through 59 games as a junior, is easily best player in the NHIAA. And his coach questions whether he will go D1. Compared him to Mounsey in an article, but even Mounsey went to Avon from Concord after a year.

I know you were joking, but I think the State of Hockey’s HS talent pool is just a smidge deeper. Kind of a “lob-sided” comparison.
                    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

One of the reasons I don’t post much anymore.

Ouch on the prediction. Go big or go home, I suppose. :-) if you are right Robinson may not see game ice until after Thanksgiving.
                      Hey right? Was just considering the ice differential and being overly negative I guess ....so far, we're in it. Hope Robinson has a great game. On another note, feed isn't coming in...for me anyone else? Listening online...

Comment

• Are you going in from the uhh schedule page?

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                          Are you going in from the uhh schedule page?
                          Yep...just buffers (mad face)

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

I disagree. Postgame handshake is important (could not care less about the crowd salute - I’m not going for that), I t’s the right way to play. You don’t get your *** spanked by a better team and just skate off the ice pouting like somehow you deserved better. Souza should make sure they are out there shaking hands, but more likely just another example of his lack of leadership and control of the team. Lack of scoring has been an issue for years, no big surprise there. This team has no sense of direction or leadership and no signs it’s coming.
                            GO BLUE!

Comment

• Sorry I was actually able to get in and watch. Besides the fact that we continue to have no/little offense, the frustration is so apparent...passes to no where, I mean, it's just too bad. I knew our last few years with NU have not been very good, but, one win over them in sooo many games, outscored something like 58 to 11, etc etc. I remember when they (NU) started to take off and they haven't stopped since. Not sure how far they will go this season but, they are solid. Ho Hum....Bruins lost too. At least my prediction was wrong on the score. Oh well onto UVM weekend. Oh and, handshake at the end of the game, which, I think they only do when a series is over? Whatever.

Um and unless I am wrong, we have gone 20, Twenty, Vingt, Zwanzig, Venti Powerplays without a goal.
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-06-2021, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Sorry I was actually able to get in and watch. Besides the fact that we continue to have no/little offense, the frustration is so apparent...passes to no where, I mean, it's just too bad. I knew our last few years with NU have not been very good, but, one win over them in sooo many games, outscored something like 58 to 11, etc etc. I remember when they (NU) started to take off and they haven't stopped since. Not sure how far they will go this season but, they are solid. Ho Hum....Bruins lost too. At least my prediction was wrong on the score. Oh well onto UVM weekend. Oh and, handshake at the end of the game, which, I think they only do when a series is over? Whatever.
                                Another lost season, oh well. Hey, at least the football team is just as bad!
                                GO BLUE!

Comment

Working...
                                X