Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Are these players who at least, looked at UNH? I note the 'legacy' piece of Taylor Morrow, Pierson. You are thinking next year's group that features players like Nick Ardanaz and John Evans , plus GT Jed B are going to be good additions?
    Rickwood's sister is on the women's team. Wood's dad was an assistant coach for the women, and interim head coach. He's leading the BCHL in scoring as a 16 year old.

I'm a fan of Ardanaz and Evans, and Sardarian & Carfagna in the USHL. Ardanaz has not grown fully into that top tier as I'd hoped, but has will be good (think Luke Reid), and maybe adding strength completes his game. Carfagna/Ardanaz replacing Verrier & McKinnon is a plus.

But you're replacing 11 seniors. Maybe that's a plus. But I think you're back to step one on a rebuild with young kids. I'd be OK with being the next hot rebuild rather than more years of seeing some positives and hoping year 8 is the year. Frankly, if Souza had "earned" the chance I'd give him a longer rope. Barr has his work cut out selling Orono to kids. But he's done well with the maritime kids. U.Conn is on the fast track and have a rink to sell. UNH has been left behind, and its not clear the slow improvement gets them back in the conversation.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-30-2021, 07:25 PM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post

It's never been about recruiting the right kids, its been Souza able to sell kids on him.

You were trying to sell a novice assistant who only returned to the US from Italy in 2011, had a whopping four years as an assistant. Two sub .500 years for ECAC basement Brown (2012-13), his only ever plus.500 year (3rd place) in the weak AHA conference at U.Conn and then one year in the HE basement when hired at UNH. That hardly screams "let me get on that bandwaggon" to recruits.

Compare Souza's volume to every every single new coach taking over a program:

Barr has 16 in the five months since June.
      Carvel had 19 in the first half year.
      Woodcroft with no college experience at Vermont had 13 recruits in the first 7 months.
      Kris Mayotte at Colorado College has 7 in the five months.
      Gabinet at Nebraska was an internal hire, but he hit the ground with 17 recruits in the first 6 months.
      Larson took over St.Cloud from Motzko in 2018, and had 11 in the first 6 months.
      Leaman had 17 recruits in first 7 months at Providence.

Mike Souza had 3 in his first 8 months (Mike Dawson when he first arrived in July, then Eric MacAdams in November, and Corson Green in January).

Does that mean Souza was developing his plan of who to recruit, or that his plan of who to recruit didn't sell.

You only get one chance to make a first impression on recruits looking to get on an ascending program, and I'm afraid its gone.

Its part of the problem we all saw at the time (and ironically is revived in the question of the CHN interview) -- was he a "continue course" hire of a successful program, or was he being brought in from the outside to change course and sweep in a new perspective? (That you had to hire an external coach to pretend it to be an "internal" hire tells you about the state of the program under Umile.)

We all knew if was a total rebuild, but Marty saw it as a continuation -- a coronation for Umile for three years while Souza learned the ropes. Well, recruits don't want someone "learning the ropes" they want someone who has already climbed them.
      Well there it is. And recruits do NOT want to read presser comments "I need to coach that better". My take is the powers that be did not want someone to eclipse Umile in any way and so here we are....worked fir everyone except...the program.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Well there it is. And recruits do NOT want to read presser comments "I need to coach that better". My take is the powers that be did not want someone to eclipse Umile in any way and so here we are....worked fir everyone except...the program.
        But he’s providing a good life experience, right? Recruits are more concerned with empty stands, a team that struggles for 10 wins, and a coaching staff that develops no NHL talent. It’s all about “what have you done for me lately”, and what can Souza say, we developed a second team All Hockey East player last year! Laughable. Also, no way was the administration worried about someone eclipsing Umile, no way. It was all a lack of real leadership at the top.
        Last edited by d.gerry; 10-30-2021, 03:59 PM.
        GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post

But he’s providing a good life experience, right? Recruits are more concerned with empty stands, a team that struggles for 10 wins, and a coaching staff that develops no NHL talent. It’s all about “what have you done for me lately”, and what can Souza say, we developed a second team Hoceky East player last year! Laughable. Also, no way was the administration worried about someone eclipsing Umile, no way. It was all a lack of real leadership at the top.
          Without any knowledge, but I thought there was the suggestion that Marty's hands might have been tied by the lifetime contract to Umile. Umile forced this on Marty by refusing to retire unless there was a succession plan for his hand-picked replacement. (And even then, forced the three year transition to give him a chance at 600 wins.)

I can only hope the next coach has no UNH ties whatsoever, even if Kevin Dean or Boguniecki says they will work for free.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

But he’s providing a good life experience, right? Recruits are more concerned with empty stands, a team that struggles for 10 wins, and a coaching staff that develops no NHL talent. It’s all about “what have you done for me lately”, and what can Souza say, we developed a second team Hoceky East player last year! Laughable. Also, no way was the administration worried about someone eclipsing Umile, no way. It was all a lack of real leadership at the top.
            Oh well I wouldn't be so sure of that. I mean sure..they allowed the formerer HC to pick his own successor and that...was what I meant. Had to be someone that wouldn't be a boat rocker gee an idea of their own..non confrontational (is that a word) and thats exactly what they got. Well ...lots of season left so am going to find enjoyment where possible!

Comment

Without any knowledge, but I thought there was the suggestion that Marty's hands might have been tied by the lifetime contract to Umile. Umile forced this on Marty by refusing to retire unless there was a succession plan for his hand-picked replacement. (And even then, forced the three year transition to give him a chance at 600 wins.)

I can only hope the next coach has no UNH ties whatsoever, even if Kevin Dean or Boguniecki says they will work for free.
              Haven’t heard anything about Umile refusing to retire unless it was his hand picked successor? But if that is true, allowing such an agreement to begin should never have been allowed. If he had real vision and leadership ability, when that demand was made, fire him and move on.
              GO BLUE!

Comment

It's never been about recruiting the right kids, its been Souza able to sell kids on him.

You were trying to sell a novice assistant who only returned to the US from Italy in 2011, had a whopping four years as an assistant. Two sub .500 years for ECAC basement Brown (2012-13), his only ever plus.500 year (3rd place) in the weak AHA conference at U.Conn and then one year in the HE basement when hired at UNH. That hardly screams "let me get on that bandwaggon" to recruits.

Compare Souza's volume to every every single new coach taking over a program:

Barr has 16 in the five months since June.
                Carvel had 19 in the first half year.
                Woodcroft with no college experience at Vermont had 13 recruits in the first 7 months.
                Kris Mayotte at Colorado College has 7 in the five months.
                Gabinet at Nebraska was an internal hire, but he hit the ground with 17 recruits in the first 6 months.
                Larson took over St.Cloud from Motzko in 2018, and had 11 in the first 6 months.
                Leaman had 17 recruits in first 7 months at Providence.

Mike Souza had 3 in his first 8 months (Mike Dawson when he first arrived in July, then Eric MacAdams in November, and Corson Green in January).

Does that mean Souza was developing his plan of who to recruit, or that his plan of who to recruit didn't sell.

You only get one chance to make a first impression on recruits looking to get on an ascending program, and I'm afraid its gone.

Its part of the problem we all saw at the time (and ironically is revived in the question of the CHN interview) -- was he a "continue course" hire of a successful program, or was he being brought in from the outside to change course and sweep in a new perspective? (That you had to hire an external coach to pretend it to be an "internal" hire tells you about the state of the program under Umile.)

We all knew if was a total rebuild, but Marty saw it as a continuation -- a coronation for Umile for three years while Souza learned the ropes. Well, recruits don't want someone "learning the ropes" they want someone who has already climbed them.
                Barr has gotten a lot of commits but I’m not convinced the level overall is much better than it was with the previous regime. My guess is it will be better in some parts of the game and worse in others.

I want to be positive on him but just haven’t seen much so far. I won’t spam your thread with some long winded post on all the details but if I were you I wouldn’t be too concerned right now.
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Haven’t heard anything about Umile refusing to retire unless it was his hand picked successor? But if that is true, allowing such an agreement to begin should never have been allowed. If he had real vision and leadership ability, when that demand was made, fire him and move on.
                  Well, he had a lifetime contract and he was going to hold them to it. If you are presented with Umile threatening to crater the program by holding on forever, or transitioning it (and you are a Umile guy anyway because he hired you), how do you choose?

When the reaction to the news from one of the biggest fans is this, you know it was trouble:
                  bomberhockey replied
                  05-31-2015, 03:55 PM
                  Big changes coming to UNH. Careful what you wish for!!
                  ​​​​​​​
                  Greg A replied to UNH Wildcats TD Garden and Beyond 2015
                  in Men's Division I
                  06-10-2015, 12:03 PM
                  I can't believe that this is true, that when the hiring of Souza is announced, it will also be announced that Umile will be retiring the year after next, to be replaced with someone with a record that is as thin as Souza's is. Mind you, I think Mike is a great guy, at least he was in all the interactions I had with him back when he was a player. And I do think he is an earnest, hard working, up-and-comer. But to think that he would be anointed the new coach would be mind boggling to me. It would lead me to ask Marty Scarano, what happened to the notion that you would only hire someone with Division 1 head coach experience? If Umile was going to designate someone as his successor, why wouldn't it be the man who has been his chief recruiter for the last 12 years rather than someone who is just establishing himself. Just doesn't make any sense.
                  NCAA watcher View Post
                  I would be surprised if either of these two are the presumptive successors. Hopefully they make it an easy choice, but lets look: Souza has been coaching since 2011, and Stewart has not established his chops at a top 5 HE program. Depending on when Umile decides to walk away, we might have a better idea, but I would expect them to look outside the current assistants. Throw in pro scouts Mark Mowers, Steve Leach, Steve Pleau, Tom Nolan and Christian Bragnalo at Shattuck. Not a lot else in the Umile coaching tree, as he rarely had a volunteer assistant like other coaches (Greg Cronin, Bruce Crowder, Tim Whitehead, Dave Nonis, Nate Leaman, Guy Perron and Gene Reilly were Walshy's "voluteer" assistants before they moved up in the world)

From outside the "tree", Ric Bennett (under long contract), Rand Pecknold (unlikely given the money); Billy Riga, Andrew Will, Salisbury Prep. Former Merrimack assistant Darryn Yopyk.

Of course, the big play would be Penticton's head coach, Fred Harbinson, a 44 year old would be perfect age, recruiting ability and BCHL connections, but he has a good thing going up in and would need money.

Drew, he has gotten volume, and you are right some of the later guys are similar, but some portion works out, and his eye at U.Mass in getting Chaffee and Chau in that lesser-than group suggests you trust him. He also has Brad Nadeau and Hopkins, two good blue chippahs, and it doesn't hurt that he sent them to Penticton to start a relationship there.
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-30-2021, 05:05 PM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

• Fessenden in net tonight here we go 'Cats!

Comment

• Serious question: where would the top 5 - 10 NHIAA players project as recruits on this team? Not at all? Mostly not dressed for four years? Third/fourth line as a JR/SR?
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Have to say all three penalties against UNH are bogus.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

But you're replacing 11 seniors. Maybe that's a plus. But I think you're back to step one on a rebuild with young kids. I'd be OK with being the next hot rebuild rather than more years of seeing some positives and hoping year 8 is the year. Frankly, if Souza had "earned" the chance I'd give him a longer rope. Barr has his work cut out selling Orono to kids. But he's done well with the maritime kids. U.Conn is on the fast track and have a rink to sell. UNH has been left behind, and its not clear the slow improvement gets them back in the conversation.
                          Barr sold kids on frickin' Schenectady, 'Watcher. Kalamazoo, too. Orono has history (albeit faded, like ours, but at the top) and Barr should be able to adapt and sell Bangor/Orono to his kind of guys. Have you ever been to Schenectady?!?

And what "fast track" exactly is UConn on??? We've been hearing that PR propaganda since the first time Luce slandered Coach York and we're all still waiting for his first over .500 season while in HEA, and he's been there almost a decade now. Luce is like MS7 on steroids.

Good to see Fessenden getting a shot tonight. Suspect Leaman will awaken the slumbering Friars in between periods, it'll be interesting to see if UNH can hang on to get something out of tonight. This will be a very big 40 minutes for an early in the season game, hoping for the best ...
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• If UNH's strategy was to play so poorly last night so as to convince Providence to come in overconfident, and stand around in their own end puck-watching, it seems to be working.

So far anyway ...

Comment

• Looks like another Social Distancing Special in the stands tonight.....
                              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Is it just me, or does the live feed still show there being 12:39 left in the second period?

I guess it's not just the team that's not able to do their jobs properly ...

Comment

Working...
                                X