Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Souza: “We have some creative offensive players like Jackson Pierson – a Second Team All-Hockey East player last year”

Well there is something to hang your hat on, a second team All-Hockey East player! Remember when we had ALL AMERICANS and second ream All Americans skating around the Whit?
    GO BLUE!

Comment

• The portal came up in that interview...I got the overall impression Souza was not a fan of it but he has picked up (and lost players) through it. Correct me if I'm wrong didn't come through it or was that before the portal was created. Has UNH seen any benefit from it?

Miss the TyK and Pots offense; guys like Goumas etc...hoping we can improve that's all I got for personal reference.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Miss the TyK and Pots offense; guys like Goumas etc...hoping we can improve that's all I got for personal reference.
        You’d been even more depressed if you were here to witness Krog, Mowers, Haydar, Hemingway, Gare, etc. etc. etc. The guys you mention don’t even compare.

Souza did not come through the portal, way before his time. BTW, add him to my list of names above as well.
        Last edited by d.gerry; 10-30-2021, 12:23 PM.
        GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post

You’d been even more depressed if you were here to witness Krog, Mowers, Haydar, Hemingway, Gare, etc. etc. etc. The guys you mention don’t even compare.

Souza did not come through the portal, way before his time. BTW, add him to my list of names above as well.
          Well, yeah, I am well aware of those guys I remember hearing about UNH and the hockey thing on WMUR on occasion...when you say these others don't compare, I get that, but I also think (and I'm sure there is disagreement about this) that UNH when they played was the school to play hockey at (besides the BU, BC, NoDak type of schools). I'm not offering excuses for UNH about why they can't seem to find those players and bring them in etc. just think it's not the same as it was. And frankly if it takes nothing but superstar skaters then explain why those schools mentioned aren't NC every year. Of course, they DO figure in that mix every year so...there's that truth. So obviously talent is very important along with desire, coachability, all of those things have to gel to make a winner...

I got the impression (and have heard this before) from Souza his main goal is to have these players leave UNH with some character, life experiences that will mold them into well rounded adults. That's great and that's what sport involvement is supposed to do. But I'd like to also think that the past success of those you mention (including Souza) can't be lost and it has to be hard to measure up to it. I want to find enjoyment in the games and guess it's a matter of hoping for the best. (hope doesn't win games so don't bother lecturing me haha on that)

My comment about the portal isn't about if Souza came through that or not I know it's a relatively new thing (isn't it?) more towards how much UNH has/hasn't benefited from it. I do believe Tyler Ward came that way, Luke Reid maybe? Both I think, are decent players. It has to be a coaching challenge wondering who you are going to lose through it but, you deal with it that's what they pay you the big $$$ for, right? Finally learned that players can / could come and go and there's no guarantees on who stays etc. My point? Not the same world as the days of the players of the (now distant) past.
          Again, that is NOT an excuse for poorly executed, unprepared....hockey players.

I do have realistic expectations on this team. I hope they are able to do some good things this season I'm sure that's what we all want.

Comment

• Who else have we lost besides BvR through the portal? In BvR’s case, like many others, his production dramatically declined between his first and third years, so his loss was not problematic, in my view.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Who else have we lost besides BvR through the portal? In BvR’s case, like many others, his production dramatically declined between his first and third years, so his loss was not problematic, in my view.
              Ty Taylor? Just some points about the portal...and why one would ask...for a dramatic drop in performance? I wonder, just wonder...if anyone of high importance in that athletic dept wonders outloud about that (slaps face emoji or, hands up emoji)?????

Comment

Who else have we lost besides BvR through the portal? In BvR’s case, like many others, his production dramatically declined between his first and third years, so his loss was not problematic, in my view.
                Ps...I'd beg to differ on that the kid had skills just didn't materialize on Wildcat ice; we could use his contributions about now....not that he 'burned it up' at NU but, he certainly got ice time and made some key contributions to that team. I do not think the portal is of any real problem for UNH. In fact, I think it's helped us acquire a couple of skaters who can be, should be...a help.

Comment

• Apart from the few athletes good enough to leave, you have a worrisome pattern of kids connected to UNH who "transfer out" before getting here. It would be a hell of a lot easier to sell the "second wave" (i.e., Souza's first recruiting class graduating, this would be the second four year group) rebuild if they were in the wings.

Ellis Rickwood, Matt Wood, Scott Morrow, Trey Taylor, Cooper Pierson.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

This is the biggest problem I have seen in the Snouza Era, I can not point to a single player that has actually been developed within the UNH system since he took over. Looking at the players Freshman seasons vs Junior/Senior seasons, aside from the highly skilled player we lucked into (Gildon) and the one we were able to keep off the radar of the "Haves" of the league (Crookshank) I can not name any player that really made progression in the last 4-5 seasons So many players have their best seasons as freshmen and either plateau or regress in both stats and on ice play. From the "good ol' days" it seems that development was what made UNH work, getting that second level guy and making them into a better player in their time here. Add that to clearly not recruiting players correctly either on talent level or ability to fit your style of play (either of which fall on the coaches for not properly evaluating) and here we are, a group that just looks lost out there. It's clear that we are not even throwing darts at a dartboard at this point when recruiting, we are throwing darts at a bullseye painted on a concrete wall hoping something sticks.

The main reason in my eyes why UNH has no offensive prowess right now is I do not see a single player on this team that is capable or comfortable actually carrying the puck end to end. Crookshank was the only one last year who would and could, he's gone. For as much as I jumped on Max Gildon for mistakes he made, watching him skate the puck out of his own end was most often a masterpiece compared to anyone else on the team.

But hey, everything will be fixed when the rink size gets reduced. I mean look how they did in Schneider Arena last night and the Tempe Community Ice Rink before that... Oh... Wait...
                    Last edited by deltabravo62; 10-30-2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      Apart from the few athletes good enough to leave, you have a worrisome pattern of kids connected to UNH who "transfer out" before getting here. It would be a hell of a lot easier to sell the "second wave" (i.e., Souza's first recruiting class graduating, this would be the second four year group) rebuild if they were in the wings.

Ellis Rickwood, Matt Wood, Scott Morrow, Trey Taylor, Cooper Pierson.
                      Are these players who at least, looked at UNH? I note the 'legacy' piece of Taylor Morrow, Pierson. You are thinking next year's group that features players like Nick Ardanaz and John Evans , plus GT Jed B are going to be good additions?

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post

This is the biggest problem I have seen in the Snouza Era, I can not point to a single player that has actually been developed within the UNH system since he took over. Looking at the players Freshman seasons vs Junior/Senior seasons, aside from the highly skilled player we lucked into (Gildon) and the one we were able to keep off the radar of the "Haves" of the league (Crookshank) I can not name any player that really made progression in the last 4-5 seasons So many players have their best seasons as freshmen and either plateau or regress in both stats and on ice play. From the "good ol' days" it seems that development was what made UNH work, getting that second level guy and making them into a better player in their time here. Add that to clearly not recruiting players correctly either on talent level or ability to fit your style of play (either of which fall on the coaches for not properly evaluating) and here we are, a group that just looks lost out there. It's clear that we are not even throwing darts at a dartboard at this point when recruiting, we are throwing darts at a bullseye painted on a concrete wall hoping something sticks.

The main reason in my eyes why UNH has no offensive prowess right now is I do not see a single player on this team that is capable or comfortable actually carrying the puck end to end. Crookshank was the only one last year who would and could, he's gone. For as much as I jumped on Max Gildon for mistakes he made, watching him skate the puck out of his own end was most often a masterpiece compared to anyone else on the team.

But hey, everything will be fixed when the rink size gets reduced. I mean look how they did in Schneider Arena last night and the Tempe Community Ice Rink before that... Oh... Wait...
                        Bingo. Great post keep comin' back please and thank you...

Comment

• I think their recruiting manta has been "we are in a rebuild and you can be a part of that" or "we'll get you to the N" (hey, players have said that I've read it on occassion in CHC's player interviews on why they picked UNH). If Chuck's inclinations are correct, UMaine will struggle for the next couple of years then...look out as Barr brings talent up to Orono and his style of coaching becomes entrenched. We'll see if that actually manifests but I'm betting it's more of a probability than a possibility. This should be the case for us...? No? Should have been? Still might be?

Comment

Used to be a given for sure.

or shooting (sniping) the puck in the net.

Maybe we should go full 1970s retro, start our “checking line”, immediately drop gloves, hope we can get the opposition’s best player(s) ejected. ;-)
                            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Add that to clearly not recruiting players correctly either on talent level or ability to fit your style of play (either of which fall on the coaches for not properly evaluating) and here we are, a group that just looks lost out there. It's clear that we are not even throwing darts at a dartboard at this point when recruiting, we are throwing darts at a bullseye painted on a concrete wall hoping something sticks.
                              It's never been about recruiting the right kids, its been Souza able to sell kids on him.

You were trying to sell a novice assistant who only returned to the US from Italy in 2011, had a whopping four years as an assistant. Two sub .500 years for ECAC basement Brown (2012-13), his only ever plus.500 year (3rd place) in the weak AHA conference at U.Conn and then one year in the HE basement when hired at UNH. That hardly screams "let me get on that bandwaggon" to recruits.

Compare Souza's volume to every every single new coach taking over a program:

Barr has 16 in the five months since June.
                              Carvel had 19 in the first half year.
                              Woodcroft with no college experience at Vermont had 13 recruits in the first 7 months.
                              Kris Mayotte at Colorado College has 7 in the five months.
                              Gabinet at Nebraska was an internal hire, but he hit the ground with 17 recruits in the first 6 months.
                              Larson took over St.Cloud from Motzko in 2018, and had 11 in the first 6 months.
                              Leaman had 17 recruits in first 7 months at Providence.

Mike Souza had 3 in his first 8 months (Mike Dawson when he first arrived in July, then Eric MacAdams in November, and Corson Green in January).

Does that mean Souza was developing his plan of who to recruit, or that his plan of who to recruit didn't sell.

You only get one chance to make a first impression on recruits looking to get on an ascending program, and I'm afraid its gone.

Its part of the problem we all saw at the time (and ironically is revived in the question of the CHN interview) -- was he a "continue course" hire of a successful program, or was he being brought in from the outside to change course and sweep in a new perspective? (That you had to hire an external coach to pretend it to be an "internal" hire tells you about the state of the program under Umile.)

We all knew if was a total rebuild, but Marty saw it as a continuation -- a coronation for Umile for three years while Souza learned the ropes. Well, recruits don't want someone "learning the ropes" they want someone who has already climbed them.
                              Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-30-2021, 03:20 PM.
                              The Souza record:
                              15-16 10th place
                              16-17 10th place
                              17-18 11th place
                              18-19 8th place
                              19-20 9th place
                              20-21 10th place
                              21-22 9th place
                              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                So obviously talent is very important along with desire, coachability, all of those things have to gel to make a winner..
                                I don’t question the desire of the players, no doubt they want to win. However, talent has been missing for years and that’s what wins games. As far as coachability goes, well you need a staff that is capable of actually coaching, do we have that now? Don’t know, but not encouraging so far. If you get entertained from the current on-ice product, and are satisfied with the fact that the players will leave with “good life experiences” I’m happy for you (not being sarcastic) but, that will not fill the stands.

Talent begets talent, and those currently in charge are not bringing in D-I talent. I get it, not everyone will be a first line All-American, but you need at least one, and some good complimentary players as well. Until the recruiting situation changes, we can expect more of the same.
                                GO BLUE!

Comment

Working...
                                X