Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zoofer View Post
    Question for you Gents….I turned on the broadcast briefly Sunday, and while I agree that Sunday attendance has always been less than impressive, how much has the demise of the Friends group aided in stunting any UNH hockey growth? I’ll refrain from further comment until you all have your say….
    Hi Zoofer, of course am not a 'gent' but I do like to mix it up here with the big boys as you know (smiley face) I would doubt any FOH member of long standing would speak up to this; there are some 'lurkers' and there's someone who has posted here with regularity that could contribute, so here's my take. Just being transparent, I was a member of the org from my second season in up to when it was disbanded, so, 6 seasons ish? I am not sure if you can contribute the play of the team (UNH hockey growth...) on the lack of a 'friends' org but you can most definitely feel it's different at the 'Whitt. Remember, we were not there last season, but man, it's different.

That said, let's be fair, and remember we are still in the middle of a covid situation...what I miss most is the interaction with the team, like meet and greets, autograph signings and the like. So you can't fault the admin on any of that, it's a covid thing. My husband reminded me of this on the way home as I said "you know I can't put my finger on it yet, but there's just something sooo different here". The band has been muted, etc. The wild kid in the stands that tried to fire up everyone, that's gone too (prob a covid protocol). Still...I remember how cool the FOH display was, how there'd always be people standing over there talking with the FOH exec board, signing up, etc...not to mention how we looked so forward to meetings after games win or lose. When that was gone, it was clearly felt, like it or not UNH admin; it did and that's all there is to it. If I'm saying that, having been a member for only a short time, God only knows what veteran FOH people were thinking/feeling. I walked around last night looking for a few of them and they weren't in their usual spots; that doesn't mean they aren't going to games but...Also! A small t hing, but where's the pic of the team that you see and people liked to take pictures with? Where's the updated pictures of the team since '18 season? Did we not have a UNH hockey team in those years? Small stuff, minuscule stuff, sure, that prob do not add up to much as far as growth goes, but, it's noticed...

So UNH hockey growth; is it dependent on having this group? Or is it about the product on the ice, the emphasis on the TEAM presence, all that goes into that? Now UNH is most likely dependent on the donors to do xyz...that ice shrinkage is most likey going to be paid for by typical University capital (capitol?) improvement funds...doubt there's a librarian who's going to die soon with the money necessary to do the bigger things they'd like to see (like a complete renovation of the arena, cool locker rooms, weight rooms that other programs boast). And the ticket sales are not there; place is pretty much empty although I felt last night there were more people there than the previous game.

Frankly, I do not know what factors contribute to the growth of a program...but I'm betting it's the team on the ice, the coaches behind the bench, and of course, the admin behind all of it and we know who that is. And of course, the enjoyment for the FANS. I'm all for fixing up the 'Whitt (the place looks tired) etc...and I was all for the video board but, throwing money at something doesn't necessarily mean you are going to start winning and filling the place with rabid fans like in the past. FOH or not. Just my .02 on the whole thing. I love our UNH fandom and want it to continue. I yearn for even the small things that attracted us to want to follow the team in the first place and hope that particular spark can be ignited with a few wins here and there, and something to look forward to like a trip to the Garden. Been too long, and, boy, are you guys lucky, at least you have the memories of all of that but I imagine that is a tough cross to bear at times....

Like I said, I wish other FOH veterans would speak to your point, but, I would not count on it....the way it all ended was not...pretty.
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-25-2021, 01:42 PM.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Question for you Gents….I turned on the broadcast briefly Sunday, and while I agree that Sunday attendance has always been less than impressive, how much has the demise of the Friends group aided in stunting any UNH hockey growth? I’ll refrain from further comment until you all have your say….
      There's not a single aspect of UNH Hockey right now that's better than things were a generation ago at around the turn of the century. Guess what else happened right at that juncture in time? Hmmmm ... it was all "blue skies as far as the eye could see" until Blue Skies himself F'ed it all up.

Self-edit: The center ice scoreboard is better than it used to be. After that ... zippo zilch nada. We can kvetch all we want about Umile's limitations, but he was a LOT better at what he did than those who have since replaced him. And the way UNH ****ed all over the Friends and other long-time fans was/is abhorrent. All we get these days is excuses ... ice size, different things for students to do, now the last bits of the pandemic, too.

In the meantime, UMass Amherst went from the basement to the penthouse in half a decade. UMaine is probably going to do the same thing. By then, if we're lucky, we'll be doing the countdown to MS7's "first round number" as things continue to stagnate. Oh joy.

'Watcher, there's no need to withhold judgment. It's like thinking the daily clown show going on in the White House is going to fix itself before the midterms. Some folks just aren't up to it. Move on ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

how much has the demise of the Friends group aided in stunting any UNH hockey growth?
        There are just so many factors piling up these days to decrease fan attendance at the Whitt. Not having the Friends of Hockey may seem small in the overall, but these are first-off PASSIONATE fans who want to make things better, AND they donate their time, resources, blood/sweat/tears to the cause. That loyalty takes years to develop and they are probably some of your best cheer leaders to push the program both in and outside the arena and university.

Taking the Friends role away from them may put a few extra dollars in the UNH coffers initally, but I would always side with the TRUE fans to keep things going long-term. These are the fans that Chuck once described as waiting in line en mass at the Rt 290 / 495 interchange after leaving the DCU Center NC$$ playoffs for the ride back to NH. In classic salesman or business owners speak, these are the clients you pay the mortgage with. The others are band wagoners, the ones you buy the boat with, and the ones who bailed quickly from the 2500+ season ticket waiting list all those years ago. Those days are quickly fading from most memories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          I don't share Ref's optimism or even Watcher's belief/hope that the end of the year might tell us anything we don't already know.
          Hey now. I'm reality based, so that's not what I believe, but I'm enough of a fan to have hope, even if I know what the conversation will be in March (probably the same conversation as back in June 2015 when news first broke about the plan -- see Greg A's comments).

But let me ask you: having killed off the men's and women's programs, would you want to give Marty another chance to make another mistake? Or do you pray that President Dean wakes up and encourages Marty to retire after 21 years. I mean, we can talk about how bad the men's program has fallen, but Marty killed the women's program equally.

Interesting Mike McMahon tweet about how all of HE stinks. Let's see if the league puts any pressure on the teams to pick up their game. [Checks program - damm, its another member of the UNH inner circle.)
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            There's not a single aspect of UNH Hockey right now that's better than things were a generation ago at around the turn of the century. Guess what else happened right at that juncture in time? Hmmmm ... it was all "blue skies as far as the eye could see" until Blue Skies himself F'ed it all up.

Self-edit: The center ice scoreboard is better than it used to be. After that ... zippo zilch nada.
            The pep band, as well.
            If I never have to hear brass versions of "the lion sleeps tonight" or "brown eyed girl" again I will die a happy man.

Originally posted by Whalers View Post

There are just so many factors piling up these days to decrease fan attendance at the Whitt. Not having the Friends of Hockey may seem small in the overall, but these are first-off PASSIONATE fans who want to make things better, AND they donate their time, resources, blood/sweat/tears to the cause. That loyalty takes years to develop and they are probably some of your best cheer leaders to push the program both in and outside the arena and university.

Taking the Friends role away from them may put a few extra dollars in the UNH coffers initally, but I would always side with the TRUE fans to keep things going long-term. These are the fans that Chuck once described as waiting in line en mass at the Rt 290 / 495 interchange after leaving the DCU Center NC$$ playoffs for the ride back to NH. In classic salesman or business owners speak, these are the clients you pay the mortgage with. The others are band wagoners, the ones you buy the boat with, and the ones who bailed quickly from the 2500+ season ticket waiting list all those years ago. Those days are quickly fading from most memories.
            The Friends was organic; donating to the Athletic Department? Not so much.

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            But let me ask you: having killed off the men's and women's programs, would you want to give Marty another chance to make another mistake? Or do you pray that President Dean wakes up and encourages Marty to retire after 21 years. I mean, we can talk about how bad the men's program has fallen, but Marty killed the women's program equally.
            I think you could argue it was worse. By the time McCloskey was relieved they had only had 3 seasons below .500 ever (the McCloskey/Wood split year would be the fourth), in the 7 previous seasons with Witt they've only been over .500 ONCE.
            "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
            Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
            NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
            EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
            AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
            1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

• Hey Whalers - thanks for bringing back what is now a bittersweet memory, those trips back out of Worcester in heavy late weekend evening traffic on the way back north. It's hard to believe that really happened, but it did. Sadly, that time has passed. But still a very nice memory all the same.

Cloud - I probably agree with you on the comparison of the damage done to the Women's Hockey program. All because the guy in charge of the department couldn't stand up to a PC lynch mob, and/or saw an opportunity to trim payroll on what was starting to look like an almost-too-generous contract extension. Firing McCloskey was weak; choosing his replacement is a cautionary tale (as Watcher points out) on what could be behind Door Number 3 if he's still around when it's time to hire the next Men's head coach.

Adapting from the Dean Wormer quote ... "Weak and clueless is no way to go through life, son" ...

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Interesting Mike McMahon tweet about how all of HE stinks. Let's see if the league puts any pressure on the teams to pick up their game. [Checks program - damm, its another member of the UNH inner circle.)
                Actually HEA teams 18-19-3 in OOC games so far this season, although a bunch of those losses and ties have been against AHC teams.

Comment

• Other than Robinson, Esposito and Cipollone, this is fully Souza's team (and you can argue that he's had plenty of chance to replace these guys if he chose, so they're also his guys). That means he gets all of the credit for how well the team does this year.
                  It's also a veteran team meant to win now, with only two/three freshmen (Gagne/Cronin/Devlin) and three sophomores (Gendron, Jenson, Reid), compared to two fifth year guys (Robinson, MacAdams) and seven seniors (Engaras, Pierson, Ward, Esposito, Cipollone, MacKinnon, Verrier)
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-26-2021, 10:22 AM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

• “Our league’s non conference play has been really poor. We need to wake up, and our team is one of the teams that needs to wake up.” Carvel on Hockey East’s poor start to the season
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

“Our league’s non conference play has been really poor. We need to wake up, and our team is one of the teams that needs to wake up.” Carvel on Hockey East’s poor start to the season
                      No shame in losing two to Minnesota State, and Minutewagon swept reputedly best team team in Atlantic Hockey, AIC. Must have have been the recent exhibition loss to Dartmouth that sent him off? :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

No shame in losing two to Minnesota State, and Minutewagon swept reputedly best team team in Atlantic Hockey, AIC. Must have have been the recent exhibition loss to Dartmouth that sent him off? :-)
                        Yes, the art of telling off your weak conference, because they are going to cost you a spot in the NCAAs, while making it seem like you are pointing the finger at your team, too.

At least its good to hear one non-complacent voice complaining because the skies are cloudy, not blue.

BTW, despite other differences, kudos to Hockydad for doing the right thing.
                        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 10-26-2021, 03:45 PM.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Other than Robinson, Esposito and Cipollone, this is fully Souza's team (and you can argue that he's had plenty of chance to replace these guys if he chose, so they're also his guys). That means he gets all of the credit for how well the team does this year.
                          It's also a veteran team meant to win now, with only two/three freshmen (Gagne/Cronin/Devlin) and three sophomores (Gendron, Jenson, Reid), compared to two fifth year guys (Robinson, MacAdams) and seven seniors (Engaras, Pierson, Ward, Esposito, Cipollone, MacKinnon, Verrier)
                          " I don’t know that we have enough skill to win on skill alone..."

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...-Hampshire.php
                          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

" I don’t know that we have enough skill to win on skill alone..."

What else can you win on? Puck luck (which the 'Cats were not blessed with Sat. night, IMHO) Decent article tho...Praying for a split at least this weekend, if it's indeed true 'on any given night'....
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-27-2021, 12:22 PM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Yes, the art of telling off your weak conference, because they are going to cost you a spot in the NCAAs, while making it seem like you are pointing the finger at your team, too.

At least its good to hear one non-complacent voice complaining because the skies are cloudy, not blue.

BTW, despite other differences, kudos to Hockydad for doing the right thing.
                              ...and that was? I remember hockydad; not a fan of the U. Connected (father was speculated ???) to the phenom we missed out on Mike V; the past is the past but oh, what might have been. It's time UNH gets a break...we knew Stutzle wasn't going to come but gee some of these other players who get recruited and do not play for us...sigh.
                              Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-27-2021, 12:56 PM.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                                " I don't know that we have enough skill to win on skill alone..."

I guess that completes the MacKinnon-Souza disconnect, although I think Dan had a fair take on why players and coaches are wired differently to see the talent deltas differently.

Putting that aside, I thought it was actually a pretty decent interview, but after reading it a couple of times, I really don't have a sense of any guiding light or focused philosophy in place with MS7. He's still relatively new at the job, and I don't think he's alone in picking out certain quotes or theories from guys like Cassidy and Bazin. I know I hunted & pecked around for awhile for concepts and inspirations for what I did/do in coaching, so that's part of the process.

If MS7 is eventually going to make his mark in this profession, he's going to have to settle on his own style and how to sell it best, and hopefully sooner than later. A lot of folks get their first shot at being in charge before they get to this level, so it's something other folks might have a head start on by the time they get to this point. But if you read this interview, and you compare it to post-hire interviews with Coach Barr up at UMaine, if you're like me, you come away with a clearer picture of expectations and vision from Barr, and (despite enjoying a several year head start) not so much of either from Souza.

I want UNH to win. So does MS7 (loved his quote about analytics). It would be great if UNH could win under Coach Souza, but unless he has a clear vision of what he wants to accomplish, and an understanding of how to get there from here, then he's probably just going to be "spinning his wheels" with UNH in neutral, while we all get older and grayer (MS7 included).

Time is not on his side. Eventually, you are what your record says you are. That's not good ...

Comment

Working...
                                X