Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Felger View Post
    Pound on Souza all you want. I'm not here to defend him. Just don't cherry pick the intelligence. Haven't seen you or anyone else call out the goalie coach yet. The performance has been even worse than when the job was being done via Skype. I get that he is among the greatest and most popular players in the program's history but if you're going to call out Ricky Santos don't be afraid to do the same for Ty Conklin.
    The template was set in place when Coach Umile moved away from hiring his same-age pals as assistants, and begin to hire former players instead, when he first brought in Coach Stewart, then Coach Souza, and then when MS7 hired Coach Conklin, a former teammate from the "glory days". I guess the obvious question I have is ... when there was already another UNH player (who FWIW happened to be a goalie) in the D-1 coaching game, and learning from the all-time winningest D-1 coach as a top assistant ... why wouldn't you have put that guy on top of the hiring list (if you indeed felt compelled to hire a UNH alum), instead of the guy they hired, who learned from the guy who learned from the guy (i.e. Luce Canaan)?!?

I know Luce has snowed a lot of folks with the sales pitch of how York hasn't won without him (yet), but I never imagined the folks who fell for that dumb pitch would include Blue Skies.

Ten or fifteen years ago, guys like Pat Foley were touted, and before that Bruce Crowder was often mentioned as a successor before he bailed at Northeastern, and got into a real world career. Crowder is now 64 years old (gosh, that makes me feel old) and Foley is 40 (ditto). MS7 will be 44 yrs. old in a few months, and the "other" goalie from those days is 43 yrs. old.

Of course, the answer to the biggest "What if?" questions regarding the UNH Men's Hockey program quietly returned as an assistant at his alma mater on the other side of this state a few years ago, and he now looks to have stepped away from coaching again, after having been railroaded out of his job here in the single most distasteful personnel act in UNH history.

Karma, as they say, is a b!t<h ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by felger View Post

pound on souza all you want. I'm not here to defend him. Just don't cherry pick the intelligence. Haven't seen you or anyone else call out the goalie coach yet. The performance has been even worse than when the job was being done via skype. I get that he is among the greatest and most popular players in the program's historoy but if you're going to call out ricky santos don't be afraid to do the same for ty conklin.
      Huh????
      UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        … On the other hand, UNH Men's Soccer and Coach Hubbard are pushing legitimately hard near the top of D-1, which in and of itself is amazing. With the idea that they're a much smaller fish in what is a much bigger pond (lake?) of NCAA D-1 Soccer - compared with D-1 Men's Hockey, and D-2 Football (or D-1ABC+ or whatever it is these days), his accomplishments already may rival what has otherwise been the national "high water mark" previously set by Coach Umile and Coach MacDonnell ... and Hubbard is really only still getting started. Ask the folks over at SNHU about the job he did for them. Fortunately for UNH, there's not many high-paying soccer HC jobs available stateside that could rival what he can make at his alma mater, so hopefully UNH has a long-term solution in place for that program, which traditionally had been a .500 "speed bump" program with no national profile for the last generation or so.
        https://unhwildcats.com/news/2020/5/...CAAChamps.aspx

I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Niche sport, especially at the time, same as the Women's Hockey "national title" a generation ago.

That's not to denigrate those accomplishments, but to most, UNH's apex was likely Anaheim in '99.

Comment

Aww thanks for that Darius! I knew/know many on that team from over the years. Played 4 years of lax at then PSC; UNH was in the other division and I'd watch them play after we would play at various D1 and D2 tournaments (PSC, 2 back to backs just saying...ha!) Quite a few of these UNH wmn laxers have stayed with the sport (or coach other sports like UNH long time field hockey coach Robin Balducci who had a short stint as a high school fh coach up my way (we had quite the battles were 1 and 1 together lol still have the game ball from that win)...everytime I go to the UNH fh game I see that sign on the score board...always gratifying!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

That, women's hockey 1998 (as Chuck alludes to, awarded by the AWCHA, which was funded by the USOC and NCAA), and Elle Purrier are the high water marks.
              Last edited by ClOuD 9; 10-19-2021, 09:32 AM.
              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

I guess "Champions of October" turned out to be a stretch, didn't it?

"Columbus Day Weekend Champions" was more like it. Yowzah.

At least it looks like it's kind of a down year for Hockey East ...

Comment

I guess "Champions of October" turned out to be a stretch, didn't it?

"Indigenous People's Day Weekend Champions" was more like it. Yowzah.

At least it looks like it's kind of a down year for Hockey East ...
                  JFYP, Chuck. I am also not so sure about your "brother from another mother" quote from your earlier post either, for which I suspect that HR would disagree. :-)

But, I really liked your "Chestnut Hillbillies" reference from years ago when our two HEA teams were actually relevant.

As for your alma mater, the on-campus rink really is a beauty, and perhaps led to Bentley's first NHL draftee recruit. But, alas, Jakov Novak did not stay for his senior year, not because he went pro, but because he transferred to Northeastern (sound familiar?). I consider Soder a friend, but he sure has not had much recent coaching success, not unlike MS7. But, I think that Soder probably has a winning record against HEA teams, which is really pretty neat.

Comment

If you don't un-fix my post, Snives, I suspect the "Durham Mafia" may be looking for you shortly ... ;-)

Comment

If you don't un-fix my post, Snives, I suspect the "Durham Mafia" may be looking for you shortly ... ;-)
                      My people will look after him bwahahaha he's in good hands....ha!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

He’s still alive. They hit him with five shots and he’s still alive. :-)

Comment

Does anyone know what the favored college soccer website is called? I tried USCSO.com, but not active. Was going to post on the forum about how the UNH soccer coach is making the far more highly compensated Wildcat coaches, and the AD, look incredibly bad. He isnt forever .500 (or worse), makes things happen on a tight budget and salary, doesnt whine about needing to reduce the width of the pitch by 15 feet to compete against Union and Bentley, etc. Appears that he didnt get the insider email about being mediocre but telling the fandom that we have an exciting butterfly just waiting to break out of the cocoon, trust us.

Maybe he should spend less time coaching, recruiting and slaying soccer giants. Instead he can concentrate on finding former library employees with ooddles of dough and no heirs who suddenly find a love of soccer late in life. Then all things would truly be Blue Skies. :-)

Comment

Man, I need to get a new dictionary. Mine has the outdated definition of "elevate" and "heightened"

Marty Scarano is in his 21st season as the director of athletics at the University of New Hampshire in 2021-22. During his tenure, Scarano has heightened national exposure for UNH athletics with academic achievements, facility renovations and programmatic advancement being top priorities.

There has been nearly $53 million in capital improvements since Scarano’s hiring in the summer of 2000. The largest-scale renovation – Wildcat Stadium, a $27 million athletic complex that is home to multiple UNH teams and multi-purposed for other events – was completed in August 2016. The structure, built on the west side of Mooradian Field, offers increased and improved seating, state-of-the-art broadcast capability, concessions and restrooms, as well as a 30’ by 50’ video board. A new synthetic surface was installed in summer 2017.

In July 2017, the University announced the approval of a new $3.7 million soccer and lacrosse facility to be used by UNH athletic teams and the Oyster River Youth Association on the site of the former Lewis Field. Phase I of the project was completed and the stadium opened for use in Summer 2019. Phase I included infrastructure preparation as well as installation of a state-of-the-art synthetic field, goals, perimeter fencing around the field and team benches. The second phase of construction will include field lighting, a 3,000-seat grandstand and storage area, press box with production capabilities, covered team benches and enhanced landscaping. An additional $1.7 million of the total $3.5 million needs to be raised for the second phase of construction.

In the spring of 2015, UNH finished construction on the $2 million Watkins Center for Student-Athlete Excellence at the Field House for its Division I and Northeast Passage student-athletes, funded entirely by private donations. That fall, the Whittemore Center – home to both ice hockey teams and site of the 2016 Women’s Frozen Four – received a substantial facelift ($1.3 million) in the form of a four-sided, center-hung video board, a high-resolution end zone board and LED display band.

Scarano has helped elevate UNH athletics onto the collegiate national stage. To accomplish that goal, the University has taken on the task of hosting many major NCAA championships. In 2019, UNH hosted the Men’s Ice Hockey Northeast Regional at the SNHU Arena (Manchester, N.H.) for the eighth time in 16 years, and the University will once again host the regionals in 2023.

UNH was host of the 2007, 2017 and most recently in 2021 of the NCAA Skiing Championships, the NCAA Women’s Ice Hockey Frozen Four at the Whittemore Center in 2002, 2005, 2016 and 2020. In addition, UNH successfully hosted 2005 NCAA Women’s Gymnastics Northeast Regional at the Whittemore Center.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

Blue Skies' hero in life must be Bob the Builder. It's pretty much all he's done - the bricks and mortar stuff, anyway. The rest of the actual on-field athletics programs are stagnant, save for Men's Soccer (thanks Coach Hubbard). The revenue sports of old (Men's Hockey, Football, and *wink* Hoops) are all mediocre at best, and wretched at worst. It looks like 5,000+ to watch soccer last week is likely to top any home Hockey game attendance this season. If you told me this would be the case even 5 years ago, I'd have suggested you check in with your shrink, and quickly. Now it's the cold harsh reality.

The current AD is as useful as the disabled icons listed at the base of this page. Good work, all ...

Comment

Blue Skies' hero in life must be Bob the Builder. It's pretty much all he's done - the bricks and mortar stuff, anyway.
                                Speaking of Bob the Builder, did the Whit end up getting the new refrigeration installed? I know the shrink the rink wasn't started, but haven't heard anything about the melting ice issue.
                                GO BLUE!

Comment

Working...
                                X