Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off topic…. Anybody catch the Kraken fans deciding that their first franchise win (Game 2 in their HISTORY, if you’re counting at home), which took place in Nashville, was the time to drop the gloves in the stands and have all-out brawls with Preds fans? Hilarious-ish.
    Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
      Off topic…. Anybody catch the Kraken fans deciding that their first franchise win (Game 2 in their HISTORY, if you’re counting at home), which took place in Nashville, was the time to drop the gloves in the stands and have all-out brawls with Preds fans? Hilarious-ish.
      Hope they were vaxxed (smiley face that isn't going to show up....) Waiting on the game...let's gooo 'Cats!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
        Luke Reid is a very good player. Thank you North Dakota. (And thank Wisco for Max Gildon).

My main take away against a bad Union squad is that UNH will be competitive in all games. There was no glaring "OMG, they can't skate, or have no skills" like there was a couple of years ago in the early going against Clarkson.

We can reconvene the talk about who is to blame once we conclude the season and see if there is progress/neturality/regression.
        I’m probably in the minority but Gildon was probably more of a disappointment than TVR. Great talent but not here to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Attended the Saturday night game with my wife. It was her first time out of the house since June, as she spent more than half the summer at Maine Medical Center (two seperate three-week stints) so we were looking forward to seeing the 'Cats, especially since we missed their dominating performance on Friday night.

A few thoughts on the game and the Whitt in general:

1. Other than injury (and I don't know if this was the case) why would Souza change up the first line?? I have nothing against Cafarelli being in the lineup, but cannot for the love of God understand why Souza took Cronin off the line after his performance on Friday night.

2. Meanwhile Rick Bennett adjusted while Souza fidgeted with his lines....and it showed through the majority of the game.

3. It's clear to see the current financial toll on UNH athletics. Where were the ushers? A group of noisy non-mask wearing coeds helped themselves to the seats directly behind us and showed little interest in the game. They obviously can't find or pay ushers now to enforce the seating rules (and wearing masks, of course). Trust me, I don't like masks either. But out of respect for my severely immune-compromised spouse who absolutely must wear one, I'm going to wear one if that is the expectation for all spectators. I just wish the UNH administration would find a way to be consistent in their enforcement of the rules.

4. Concessions - OK, just one minor gripe here. For years, the concession area near the entrance to the Whitt served personal pizzas. And that's what I thought that I was buying on Saturday night. Imagine my surprise when I returned to my seat, opened the box, and found ONE normal slice of pizza. ONE. At a cost of $5.00 for that ONE slice of pizza. No thanks, UNH Dining Services....sorry that your budget constraints forced you to re-evaluate and cut costs, but this season ticket holder is going to bid adieu to your concessions until hopefully numbers improve in the future.

A final note...we decided to leave with 10 minutes left in the 3rd period. Between my wife being tired and myself not overly impressed with the way the 'Cats were playing, "yep, here we ago again, yada, yada, yada......" Imagine our shock when we tuned the game in on the car radio just in time to hear Cippolone's GWG. Lesson learned!! :-)
          Glad your wife is doing better and was able to attend. My guess is for concessions they hedged the bet and no one would want to eat vs grab a snack and drink.

as for ushers they usually are students and my guess no one wants to work or do it wearing a mask. I didn’t and won’t wear one. Marty wore his as a chin strap. Reserve players didn’t have one.

with the crowd there wasn’t a person within 10 feet of us. Go to Libby’s on a Thursday or Saturday and it’s wall to wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Inspired by Sinvely65 at the end of the offseason/preseason thread ... no one else has stepped up to start the new season thread (unless I missed something?) so here goes.

UNH has started off the season with two wins over Union, which will now be followed up by the program's trip to the desert and The Oceanside (!) for two games against the ASU Sun Devils. It certainly creates the opportunity to generate some of the old-fashioned buzz from the Umile Era, where the team would usually rocket out of the starting gates and cruise into the polls in the first half of the season. "Champions of October/November/December" was a taunt thrown at UNH early and often when such seasons started out, and more often than not, the label would prove somewhat accurate, as UNH would finish somewhat less spectacularly than they'd started the season.

In more recent seasons, the quick starts have also vanished (or at least have been few and far between), so maybe this year, the strong first weekend can give Coach Mike "MS7" Souza and his charges a shot at re-establishing the program as relevant in the upper half of the league. Mind you, my preseason prediction has pegged them in the bottom third of Hockey East, but I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong. The next several months will tell that tale, and whether the quick start proves to be just a mirage OR the start of something exciting, we'll find out soon enough. GO UNH!!!
            I do find it curious that are best goalie option is a 5th year senior who was a draft pick. If anyone in the SJ organization thought Robinson could play he’d be in the AHL at least not still in Durham.

Comment

Seriously Robinson?????
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

So...what would happen if Robinson got a 2 goal game misconduct?? They'd have to forfeit tomorrow night with no other goalie? Kudos to the 'Cats for hanging in there for that 5 min (which had the 4 v 4 as well).
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Give me a break UNH....even with the goal tender issue you don't just fold up your tent and go home....Guess they'll learn from this. Looking forward to hearing the post game comments...should be interesting to say the least. How they bounce back tomorrow will be huge. I know it's early in the season, and the situation wasn't ideal tonight, but, very disappointed they did not rally behind (er, in front of) that goalie and bust it for all it was worth.
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-16-2021, 12:07 AM.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Am I missing something w/ the UAH transfer right now? Was there a reason THIS was the back-up goalie decision...?
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

What the F is going on? HR, more details on the game please, for most on here we will not have stayed up this late to catch the game, or have gotten back too late from other Friday night stuff, or even watched the Sox-Astros ALCS game. It's even too late for USCHO to have posted a score, much less a report. Win/lose/tie, what happened with Robinson, and what's up with the apparent lack of a back-up goalie for a two game series 90% of the way across the country?!?
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef

Explain...are we expecting another goalie in this season? Sorry for asking a lame question.
                        UNH has a second scholarship goalie on the roster - https://unhwildcats.com/sports/mens-...fessenden/9118

One who posted a .910 SPCT in 20 starts against DI competition, behind DIII-ish teammates. Is he hurt? In trouble? Ineligible? Tonight's backup performance went exactly as anyone would have predicted - so I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I say any more or assume it was a coaches' decision...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Word I had is Fessenden is in a Covid isolation. Robinson decided it would be brilliant to butt end a ASU forward in the ribs in the second period and get himself thrown out. Despite that the team held up well until they gave up one goal in the third to make it 2-1. Then they proceeded to stop playing with any skill or intensity and gacked up three more goals. This after they mostly stuck with or outplayed ASU for the first 40.
                          Last edited by deltabravo62; 10-16-2021, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                            Word I had (from HR) is Fessenden is in a Covid isolation. Robinson decided it would be brilliant to butt end a ASU forward in the ribs in the second period and get himself thrown out. Despite that the team held up well until they gave up one goal in the third to make it 2-1. Then they proceeded to stop playing with any skill or intensity and gacked up three more goals. This after they mostly stuck with or outplayed ASU for the first 40.
                            Got it, thank you - that explains it...
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              So...what would happen if Robinson got a 2 goal game misconduct?? They'd have to forfeit tomorrow night with no other goalie? Kudos to the 'Cats for hanging in there for that 5 min (which had the 4 v 4 as well).
                              What is "a 2 goal game misconduct"? Jeremy Forman replaced Robinson in net after Robinson got a 5-minute major and a game misconduct for spearing. I did not know about Fessenden.

"Niedermayer? Dead!!!!"
                              Last edited by Snively65; 10-16-2021, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                What the F is going on? HR, more details on the game please, for most on here we will not have stayed up this late to catch the game, or have gotten back too late from other Friday night stuff, or even watched the Sox-Astros ALCS game. It's even too late for USCHO to have posted a score, much less a report. Win/lose/tie, what happened with Robinson, and what's up with the apparent lack of a back-up goalie for a two game series 90% of the way across the country?!?
                                DeltaB pretty much explained what happened...we held up well during the penalty (game misconduct) but then they got one and we were pretty much ran out of the place...and as he (DB) stated our other goalie is out. I thought we played fairly well up to that point and seemed to control play...then we went totally flat etc etc etc.
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-16-2021, 12:17 AM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X