Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
    FYI Ref, I did ask the students at the table last night. They had not thought of that nor been advised. No harm no foul. I’ll give it a week or so and try going up the latter. Film at 11:00!
    ....and they wouldn't have a clue lol (nothing personal to them). Like I said, this info should be made public about how the new renovations to the arena could impact your view of the game. I'd be calling the ticket office and speak to Taylor McCarthy. Maybe he can get the ball rolling.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• I haven’t seen anything from the renovation plan since the last plans pre COVID. Are they not pulling in the seats to March the ice with this great renovation they are planning? If so they claimed before that the first four rows along the sides would have a greatly obstructed view of the ice based on the low rise angle of the seating. So if they go along with this great plan (and unnecessary) to reduce the ice size they are picking the route that screws up the view on roughly 800-1000 seats. Might as well throw a tarp over them. But it’s going to greatly improve recruiting, we’re sure of it! Can’t wait for the next excuse for why we can’t compete with the big boys of hockey east (which now include Merrimack and UConn mind you)

Comment

• db, you are so right, and apparently with no consideration of those currently holding them. You can throw the fact that you can not hear the PA announcer in those rows also. I know they are going to upgrade the sound system too. They did that one other time with absolutely no improvement.
        And to Ref, great thought, I sent Taylor an email last week but have not heard back yet. Great guy but he is probably functioning as the little dutch boy with his fingers in a thousand holes along the dike.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
          db, you are so right, and apparently with no consideration of those currently holding them. You can throw the fact that you can not hear the PA announcer in those rows also. I know they are going to upgrade the sound system too. They did that one other time with absolutely no improvement.
          And to Ref, great thought, I sent Taylor an email last week but have not heard back yet. Great guy but he is probably functioning as the little dutch boy with his fingers in a thousand holes along the dike.
          If I am a UNH staffer, this is not looking good....a frustrated STH base.....renovation plans that don't calculate downstream ramnificiations to the people paying to see a game.... a "pay us now" or "pay us (more) later" directive that has the potential to fail......that, and a change in leadership come this summer may have many staffers polishing up their resumes right now.....
          UNH

Comment

• For What It's Worth ... the Effingwoods Hockey Almanac is sitting on details of an important UNH-related story as we wait to confirm sourcing in the next couple of days, possibly sooner. Coming to a USCHO thread near you no later than next weekend, unless pending sourcing does not pan out ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

....and they wouldn't have a clue lol (nothing personal to them). Like I said, this info should be made public about how the new renovations to the arena could impact your view of the game. I'd be calling the ticket office and speak to Taylor McCarthy. Maybe he can get the ball rolling.
              Would love to know how the changes will affect the sight lines. Got my seat behind the net wonder what it will be like now. But then again they haven’t shown over the last couple of years to care what the season ticket holders think. Have a lot of opinions that will share sooner then later but have to say the Senior night was the worst organized one I have ever seen and feel bad for the Seniors. As I said before never been one to push for someone to lose their job but there are many changes that need to be made on and off the ice. The happy to be here attitude needs to change and losing shouldn’t be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                Would love to know how the changes will affect the sight lines. Got my seat behind the net wonder what it will be like now. But then again they haven’t shown over the last couple of years to care what the season ticket holders think. Have a lot of opinions that will share sooner then later but have to say the Senior night was the worst organized one I have ever seen and feel bad for the Seniors. As I said before never been one to push for someone to lose their job but there are many changes that need to be made on and off the ice. The happy to be here attitude needs to change and losing shouldn’t be fine.
                If you are in the bench seats behind the net you should see no change. They are only pulling in the width so the chair backs along the side are going to be the ones with a noticeable change. From the report I saw the worst changes will be seen on the sides in the first 4-5 rows. Again this was from a study 2-3 years ago and who knows what plans have changed.

Agree Scott, if anyone is paying attention this should be troubling. I emailed Taylor yesterday rather forcefully with the disclaimer that I know it's not his issue but the management above him. I hope maybe an influx of concern from those of us who hold seasons and are honestly thinking of dropping them might get some attention. If it doesn't, they can settle for less people coming back next year and that's their choice.
                Last edited by deltabravo62; 03-07-2022, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• In other UNH Athletics news ... reminding fans of their bretheren across the street, the #3 seeded UNH Men's Hoops team lost their 3rd straight opening game (2 of which have been home games) in the AE Tourney this past weekend to the powerhouse Binghamton program. When asked for comment, Coach Bill Herrion responded, "Well, we defended poorly, missed a lot of our free throws, and lost our last game of the season. It's kind of a hallmark of our program, so we met expectations. I hope and pray they never move our home games back across the street, or else people may get the wrong ideas about where we stand as a chronically downtrodden program. Can you imagine what'd happen if fans began to expect us to actually win games?"

Coach Herrion then high-fived the outgoing AD while signing a lifetime "Umile" contract, and was last seen reaching out to former UNH standout Scott Drapeau to begin transitioning the Mens' Hoops program to new leadership for the next century.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    In other UNH Athletics news ... reminding fans of their bretheren across the street, the #3 seeded UNH Men's Hoops team lost their 3rd straight opening game (2 of which have been home games) in the AE Tourney this past weekend to the powerhouse Binghamton program. When asked for comment, Coach Bill Herrion responded, "Well, we defended poorly, missed a lot of our free throws, and lost our last game of the season. It's kind of a hallmark of our program, so we met expectations. I hope and pray they never move our home games back across the street, or else people may get the wrong ideas about where we stand as a chronically downtrodden program. Can you imagine what'd happen if fans began to expect us to actually win games?"

Coach Herrion then high-fived the outgoing AD while signing a lifetime "Umile" contract, and was last seen reaching out to former UNH standout Scott Drapeau to begin transitioning the Mens' Hoops program to new leadership for the next century.
                    lol...I'm reading this and thinking this WAS what he said. I watched the last 10 minutes of that game...what a shame...there was a 'moving screen' call that disallowed the game tying basket and then an inbounds play where Bing threw in and hit the back board...which were contested hotly by the coach. But I really can't speak to how the rest of the game went as I didn't watch and I do not follow the team. They seemed to have some good stuff going and its too bad that went the way it did. Still...well, is what it is, seems like 'business as usual' type thing.

And as usual and right on que, the women's swim and dive won the AE and the gymnastics team continues to rock it.
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-07-2022, 08:46 AM.
                    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Let this sink in - UNH is 1 o f 36 Div 1 mens basketball teams who have NEVER made the NCAA tournament. All this many years of fielding a team in a weak conference and all you have to do is get a few bounces. I am not even sure they have even made their tournament final.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...caa-tournament

The list also includes UMaine and ULowell from America East, but Lowell hasnt been D1 for more than 7 or 8 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
                        Let this sink in - UNH is 1 o f 36 Div 1 mens basketball teams who have NEVER made the NCAA tournament. All this many years of fielding a team in a weak conference and all you have to do is get a few bounces. I am not even sure they have even made their tournament final.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...caa-tournament

The list also includes UMaine and ULowell from America East, but Lowell hasnt been D1 for more than 7 or 8 years.
                        I think the furthest they've made it is the semi's - once in the 90's (?) i think, and at least once during the Herrion era. Weak conference that doesn't attract a lot of quality teams. I saw that NJIT was on the list, they had a very brief stay in the America East conference and are bolting for the CAA conference next year.
                        UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          In other UNH Athletics news ... reminding fans of their bretheren across the street, the #3 seeded UNH Men's Hoops team lost their 3rd straight opening game (2 of which have been home games) in the AE Tourney this past weekend to the powerhouse Binghamton program.
                          I was going to bring this up but you beat me to it. If there was ever an example of the apathy that permeates the UNH Athletics department, it's Bill Herrion tenure as UNH Basketball Head Coach. In 17 seasons he's put up a lifetime record of 212–287 (.425). I'm sure they aren't competitive from a salary standpoint, but why not seek out an up-and-comer looking to prove themselves, see if you can strike gold and if he bolts, on to the next one. In his remarkably long tenure you could have hired 3 coaches and given them each 5+ years.

Tell me you don't care without telling me you don't care.

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
                            For me the consideration of releasing my season tickets is not completely centered around the on ice product. While that is a decent part of the consideration, the big thing has been the lack of any real value in holding them outside of the reduced price per game. It used to be I could get comped tickets to any of the womens games which I would use several times a year especially when both teams were playing the same day, that's gone. This year we were told there would be four tickets given to a game TBD, never happened. Every year we get the promise of "Special access via season ticket holder only events". In seven years I have not seen a notification or invite to a single one. Every year our tickets arrive later and later, in earlier seasons we would be told why there was a delay (whether the truth or not at least it was communication) this year we were told nothing. When I called the ticket rep it took 4 days for him to call me back a week before the season started, you know, that time when season ticket holders may have questions.

Next up, the in arena non playing stuff. This year, a big issue has been the rotation of in arena announcers they have tried out. There was one that we were using mid season who was pretty good but the rest were missing cues and not good at calling the games at all. I don't need a guy calling a game like a monster truck rally but give me a bit of energy and for gods sake the right information. The beginning of the season was understandable as the announcer was not in the scorers box (covid related I'm sure) but it never got any better. The fact that they are running the screen from across the street means they miss cues and screw up graphics and such all the time as well. It's often just a poorly put together production and sometimes would be better if they just left the game camera on with nothing else.

Then there were things like picture frames on the visitors bench side with pieces sitting on the floor for weeks then duct taped up afterwards. There have been no team pictures added to the wall since the 2017-2018 season, players individual photos are up but no team picture in 5 seasons. All small things but they just point to a program and athletics department that doesn't care, unfortunately that attitude is seeping into myself and several others. "If they don't care about improving the team and optics of UNH Hockey, why should I" is a sentiment I have heard too many times by too many long time fans this year.

This is Martys legacy with the Men's Hockey Program, you "didn't get it back to where it should be" because you were too busy hiring your buddies and looking the other way as the ship sank. But I'm glad you got your little puff piece video of everyone telling you how great you are and all the smiles you got last weekend as Scott Borek got the last laugh on your special night. Yup, I'm angry, and if the next AD hire is Steve Metcalf or another in the UNH buddy system you can find someone else to give you the $614 I would have. Oh wait, it will be $686 after your cutesy little price increase, good luck on making that sale.

Signed,
                            Francis Dube
                            Seats 119 J1 and J2 (Possibly former holder of those seats)
                            DB- I appreciate this post. As a longtime fan who rarely gets to attend UNH home games, I like hearing about the 'state of things' positive or negative. Helps me feel connected to the program, which is ultimately why I sought out this board. If and when UNH puts in the effort to improve the program I would happily drive the 80 miles to Durham 5-10 times a season. Even if we could experience 75% of what we had in the 'good days' that would be enough for me.
                            Last edited by teez; 03-08-2022, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post

I think the furthest they've made it is the semi's - once in the 90's (?) i think, and at least once during the Herrion era. Weak conference that doesn't attract a lot of quality teams. I saw that NJIT was on the list, they had a very brief stay in the America East conference and are bolting for the CAA conference next year.
                              I remember the '95 team well, it was really the only time I expended any significant energy on the program (I think it helped them that UNH Hockey was on the road that season while The Whitt was under construction), they had 3 starters from NH and a point guard from Bobby Orr's stomping grounds IIRC? I think they lost to Northeastern in the conference semis, but won its final home game against Delaware at Lundholm. There was a 4th NH kid (Gatchell) who was a big deal in HS locally who got limited time off the bench. Fun team to watch, shame it didn't last longer, Drapeau and Montanari graduated after that season and 19-9 turned quickly into 6-22, normal service resumed, and Coach Gib Chapman was gone shortly thereafter.

Here's an interesting link from the McCloskey firing that I dredged up to salute our outgoing AD ...

UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano - USCHO.com Fan Forum | fanforum.uscho.com

Comment

• As much as I dislike all teams qualifying for the playoffs, I am psyched for some Wednesday night NESN hockey. Also, the single game elimination throughout is a plus.

Go 'cats. Beat BC. BC sucks. Sieve!
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X