Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All you supposed fans, looking for negatives when all is well

https://www.uscho.com/2022/03/02/thi...ockey-royalty/

This Week in Hockey East: Hockey is in outgoing New Hampshire athletic director Scarano’s blood, says ‘UNH is hockey royalty’

At the time of his hiring, UNH was at its apex as a hockey program on both the men’s and women’s sides. The men’s program made the NCAA tournament 17 times between 1998-2013, including four Frozen Four appearances between 1998 and 2003. The women’s team won the AWCHA D-I national title in 1998, made the NCAA Frozen Four in 2006 and followed that up with four straight tournament appearances.

While the program remains nationally prominent and has had success off the ice (Scarano touted a graduation rate of more than 95 percent for the men’s team and 100 percent for the women), it has taken a back seat in the discussion of national contenders. Next year will mark 10 years since the men’s team’s last NCAA tournament appearance and 20 since its last trip to the Frozen Four.

“If there’s one regret that I have, it’s that I haven’t gotten hockey back to where it should be,” Scarano said. “I’m taking full responsibility for that. I believe in (current coach) Mike Souza. He’s the right coach. We have work to do. In my heart of hearts, I do believe UNH should be a top-10, if not top-five, program.”
    Taking full responsibility for "not getting it back to where it should be"? You took over at its apex, so your job was not to "get it back" to a place. Maybe for full responsibility for "causing it to fall from where it should be."

But fear not, it is not about wins and losses, anyway. We're investing millions to fix the rink and pay a coach the highest salary in the state in order to educate 20 kids. Odd, that when Marty was brought aboard he touted the wins and losses. Now, not so much.

“Wins and losses are very important — I think people think that isn’t our end analysis, but it is,” he said. “But more so, we want to grow kids up to be good citizens. I have a lot of coaches who might not have maybe as many wins as fans want, but they do a great job in growing kids up and graduating kids.”

Souza, who played for the Wildcats from 1996 to 2000 (including a 3-2 loss to the Scarano-administered Colorado College team in the first round of the 1997 NCAA tournament), said he has always admired Scarano’s commitment to student athletes.

“I think that’s something that’s become, I don’t want to say further and farther between, but it’s what we do,” Souza said. “It’s the most important part of our job. And Marty’s never lost sight of that.”
    If I were President Dean, I'd think UNH could spend these millions elsewhere and hire a tutor/mentor for the 20 lads for less than $280,000 per year. Frankly, it's offensive for Coach Souza to accept the benefits of being more than a mentor to a select group, and then complain about fans losing "perspective" about what is important when they ask for accountability.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-02-2022, 08:51 AM.
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      All you supposed fans, looking for negatives when all is well

https://www.uscho.com/2022/03/02/thi...ockey-royalty/

Taking full responsibility for "not getting it back to where it should be"? You took over at its apex, so your job was not to "get it back" to a place. Maybe for full responsibility for "causing it to fall from where it should be."

But fear not, it is not about wins and losses, anyway. We're investing millions to fix the rink and pay a coach the highest salary in the state in order to educate 20 kids. Odd, that when Marty was brought aboard he touted the wins and losses. Now, not so much.

If I were President Dean, I'd think UNH could spend these millions elsewhere and hire a tutor/mentor for the 20 lads for less than $280,000 per year. Frankly, it's offensive for Coach Souza to accept the benefits of being more than a mentor to a select group, and then complain about fans losing "perspective" about what is important when they ask for accountability.
      Hear, hear 'Watcher. Just when I thought you were gonna keep your powder dry 'til offseason ... ;-)

All it took was for Blue Skies to attempt a disingenuous mea culpa and *boom*
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Hear, hear 'Watcher. Just when I thought you were gonna keep your powder dry 'til offseason ... ;-)

All it took was for Blue Skies to attempt a disingenuous mea culpa and *boom*
        Marty was never off limits.

How hard would it have been to say "I made it really easy for my successor. I took over the apex of the programs, and my replacement has the benefit of taking over the nadir or the programs. There's nowhere to go but up."
        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-02-2022, 09:59 AM.
        The Souza record:
        15-16 10th place
        16-17 10th place
        17-18 11th place
        18-19 8th place
        19-20 9th place
        20-21 10th place
        21-22 9th place
        22-23 10th place

Comment

• Blue Skies tenure sounds like a ski resort renovation.
          - Started at the top of the mountain, had newer lifts, full parking lots, a beautiful view and then began to ski downhill
          - Built a nice ski lodge halfway down the mtn (had beer to boot) with a big assist from overdue library book fines
          - Slalomed around a few tricky mogul trails (the girls ski coach expected too much and raised his voice, the boys ski team coach liked to golf a lot more than find better skiers)
          - Hired a new boys ski team coach, though sounds like just a simple ski school instructor could provide the same results AND saved some serious coin (his european ad campaign saw the best skiers stay home)
          - Finally got to the bottom of the slopes - the snow wasnt as nice, the parking lots and base lodge werent as crowded and alas, the serious trophies (not the participation type) had already been handed out

Will leave a few post-it notes for the next Mountain Manager.
          - The base lodge has better food options (and beer), nicer TV's and a new ice machine coming
          - Great plans in place to remove several good trails (the new generation of skiers dont like so many choices)
          - Be sure to visit the new display at the Base Lodge that me and ski coach are real excited about - All Academic Team wall of fame
          - No need for a new Ski Team coach, I just saw the mid-term grades and might need to make room on that wall

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post
            Blue Skies tenure sounds like a ski resort renovation.
            - Started at the top of the mountain, had newer lifts, full parking lots, a beautiful view and then began to ski downhill
            - Built a nice ski lodge halfway down the mtn (had beer to boot) with a big assist from overdue library book fines
            - Slalomed around a few tricky mogul trails (the girls ski coach expected too much and raised his voice, the boys ski team coach liked to golf a lot more than find better skiers)
            - Hired a new boys ski team coach, though sounds like just a simple ski school instructor could provide the same results AND saved some serious coin (his european ad campaign saw the best skiers stay home)
            - Finally got to the bottom of the slopes - the snow wasnt as nice, the parking lots and base lodge werent as crowded and alas, the serious trophies (not the participation type) had already been handed out

Will leave a few post-it notes for the next Mountain Manager.
            - The base lodge has better food options (and beer), nicer TV's and a new ice machine coming
            - Great plans in place to remove several good trails (the new generation of skiers dont like so many choices)
            - Be sure to visit the new display at the Base Lodge that me and ski coach are real excited about - All Academic Team wall of fame
            - No need for a new Ski Team coach, I just saw the mid-term grades and might need to make room on that wall
            Post of the year.
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Listening to the UNH journo podcasts today I learned:

*We are 0-13 if we are losing in the second period
              *We are 6-3 against ranked teams, which, is a great stat. Hope it comes through for this weekend.

If you wanna listen, here you go...remember this isn't 'Felger and Mazz' lol but they do a decent enough job and it's more than we fans usually get!

Comment

Marty was never off limits.

How hard would it have been to say "I made it really easy for my successor. I took over the apex of the programs, and my replacement has the benefit of taking over the nadir or the programs. There's nowhere to go but up."
                Pretty much. At least the new AD won't have the added stress of staying awake all night, staring at the ceiling, wondering how they'll ever be able to measure up to their predecessor. I'm sure Dean Dean will use this as a selling point, wish I'd thought of it first.

Whalers, kudos for the highly entertaining allegory; only thing missing was a Sonny Bono moment.

The UNH Hockey program may suck rocks right now, but our posters continue to be the best!! :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Agree with most (if not all) of your points, J.D. Ayers certainly has an opportunity, especially if he is indeed second-in-charge behind York these days, as York has to be swinging somewhere in the vicinity of the 17th fairway/18th teebox in his illustrious career. The downturn (exaggerated this season, likely due to unique circumstances) in recent years from York's apex seasons can't help Ayers, and I'm sure the chirping little maggot down in Storrs is stoking discussion (if anyone even listens to him any more) about how York just isn't the same without him. Please reassure me BC is smart enough not to bring that tool back to The Heights when York finally steps down, please? Rest assured, I'm not rooting for BC, but I do detest that smarmy bast!d.
                  Rent free

Comment

• Ah, that explains it, uncritical bs always catches my ire.
                    D
                    @JohnDoyle603
                    ?
                    1h
                    This week for my
                    @USCHO

@Hockey_East
                    column, I paid tribute to my good friend, outgoing UNH athletic director Marty Scarano
                    But let's not let Dickie Umile off the hook, either. This is his vision that he forced on us.
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 03-03-2022, 06:14 AM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

• “This new format for the Hockey East Tournament gives all of our student-athletes the chance to compete for a championship, which is undoubtedly the most exciting part of the season,” said Hockey East Commissioner Steve Metcalf. “Hockey East is the most competitive conference in college hockey, top to bottom, and this new format will highlight the importance of every game during the season for players and fans alike.”
                      You can see the importance of the regular season games, as UNH is fighting for its life to make the playoffs this weekend. The forum is filled with discussion of whether UNH can leapfrog from 9 to 8, and the joint should be packed for these live or die games.

Or, this thread is on page 2 because these games are now rendered meaningless because either way we'll play BC on Wednesday.
                      The Souza record:
                      15-16 10th place
                      16-17 10th place
                      17-18 11th place
                      18-19 8th place
                      19-20 9th place
                      20-21 10th place
                      21-22 9th place
                      22-23 10th place

Comment

You can see the importance of the regular season games, as UNH is fighting for its life to make the playoffs this weekend. The forum is filled with discussion of whether UNH can leapfrog from 9 to 8, and the joint should be packed for these live or die games.

Or, this thread is on page 2 because these games are now rendered meaningless because either way we'll play BC on Wednesday.
                        Thankfully, Commish Nigel has finally found his true calling in life, and we won't have to worry about BS2.0 inheriting the AD's office for the foreseeable future ... right???

Comment

• So which team is more motivated this weekend? And am not talking about UNH v BC for home ice...UML needs this series to stay in the top 4 more than we need home ice...?? If I have that right?

Sure home ice is nice and that would be great but was thinking about the extra incentive UML has to sweep us. Do correct if I have that wrong. Go 'Cats! Go UMass!

Comment

• UML can't afford to lose at all this weekend but its more about the NCAAs than the HE playoffs.
                            UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Masks are no longer required at UNH indoor facilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post
                                UML can't afford to lose at all this weekend but its more about the NCAAs than the HE playoffs.
                                Well yeah that has to be a bigger priority...and I doubt Norm wants to lose twice in Durham. He will start Savory I'd expect.

Comment

Working...
                                X