Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by TwoStep93 View Post
    should not be losing this game, let alone this badly.
    When your team plays the second period and the early portions of the 3rd period with all of the passion and enthusiasm of a metet maid working the Edgewater Lot in a snowstorm, this is what you get.

    Only question remaining now is whether they can somehow dig themselves out of this hole ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

    Comment


    • Nope. What a shame, if they'd brought that kind of late effort earlier. This is a recording ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

      Comment


      • Too bad. Made it interesting but you gotta play a full 60. Beep.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
          I am glad Borek is doing well, and thought he was a good low-ceiling fix for Mack.
          When you said "low ceiling" I thought you were talking about Lawler Rink!
          I have to admit I was not excited when they hired Borek, but about halfway through last season, things began heading upwards. He recruited a terrific class of current Juniors, Jefferies was a really good get, and has blended in a couple of key older transfers. 2 pretty good underclass goalies, a excellent D-corp and all of a sudden they're tied for 2nd in Hockey East. As a mostly long suffering Merrimack fan, I'll take it.

          Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

          Comment


          • Good for Scotty Borek BTW. Must be sweet for him to come back here on Blue Skies' big night, and serve it up to his former boss big-time. I think we can all relate to enjoying some payback ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Good for Scotty Borek BTW. Must be sweet for him to come back here on Blue Skies' big night, and serve it up to his former boss big-time. I think we can all relate to enjoying some payback ...
              Wondered what was going on in his head when DU was standing up there with Marty....was he (Borek) in the running for HC? Anyway he has a decent team there...
              Here we go 'Cats!!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Interesting that Kalle Eriksson has found his way out of the lineup. -20 on the season.
                Injury from the Maine weekend though -20 would be a good reason

                Comment


                • Here are many observations to digest in and around the team, UNH, and all of last nights events

                  1. They played a great 19:27 of the first period. Controlled most of the period, were physical within control, and took the game to MC. Then a late goal set up a terrible second period. The 4 on 4 goal was just horrible defense losing the trailer and Robinson had no chance

                  2. I guess we have to celebrate Marty’s 22 years but let’s also look at where the 2 flagship programs, hockey and football, are today under his leadership. The only success is futbol… ugh

                  Could not get a blue bracelet for the open bar upstairs. With that I find it interesting with Jimmy Dean (President not sausage) upstairs it appeared his #unitesasone or whatever it’s called didn’t apply. It was nice seeing him standing around without his mask and 90% or more of the guests not either.

                  3. The post game autographs was the worst advertised event in a long time. The takeaway other than that was some of the guys asking my daughter for the BU/BC score. Take care of you own business and that doesn’t matter. Backing into a home playoff game isn’t a recipe for success

                  4. Lastly the renew season tickets now for a raffle and to save $36 or whatever it is bothers me. How can you set the price next year without knowing the number of games

                  website says 9-5-1 adding next weeks game and the cancelled one we are at 17 games this year. What if there are only 16 next year, that’s a price increase. Maybe we luck out and there are 18 and we get in theory a free one but price setting now is too early IMO.

                  For now that’s enough complains and grievances as the legendary George Carlin would say.


                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by norbert View Post
                    Here are many observations to digest in and around the team, UNH, and all of last nights events

                    1. They played a great 19:27 of the first period. Controlled most of the period, were physical within control, and took the game to MC. Then a late goal set up a terrible second period. The 4 on 4 goal was just horrible defense losing the trailer and Robinson had no chance

                    2. I guess we have to celebrate Marty’s 22 years but let’s also look at where the 2 flagship programs, hockey and football, are today under his leadership. The only success is futbol… ugh

                    Could not get a blue bracelet for the open bar upstairs. With that I find it interesting with Jimmy Dean (President not sausage) upstairs it appeared his #unitesasone or whatever it’s called didn’t apply. It was nice seeing him standing around without his mask and 90% or more of the guests not either.

                    3. The post game autographs was the worst advertised event in a long time. The takeaway other than that was some of the guys asking my daughter for the BU/BC score. Take care of you own business and that doesn’t matter. Backing into a home playoff game isn’t a recipe for success

                    4. Lastly the renew season tickets now for a raffle and to save $36 or whatever it is bothers me. How can you set the price next year without knowing the number of games

                    website says 9-5-1 adding next weeks game and the cancelled one we are at 17 games this year. What if there are only 16 next year, that’s a price increase. Maybe we luck out and there are 18 and we get in theory a free one but price setting now is too early IMO.

                    For now that’s enough complains and grievances as the legendary George Carlin would say.

                    About that autograph thingy? What? I saw pics of that today...harrumph! I would have loved to have gone through and met the team. Didn't know about the 'open bar' thing...I was upstairs for a drink and a bite ...saw there were two lines one for some group, one for us regular schmoes haha. I did see that the back room had been set up for a Marty Party post game...Wondering aloud IF we play home on that first round game will STH's get to use their St. Lawrence tix for that? Well, they know we'll cough it up regardless I guess. I do plan on renewing before the May 1 deadline. FWIW dept, we are all Terrier fans today!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

                      When your team plays the second period and the early portions of the 3rd period with all of the passion and enthusiasm of a metet maid working the Edgewater Lot in a snowstorm, this is what you get.

                      Only question remaining now is whether they can somehow dig themselves out of this hole ...
                      Really where the game was lost for the 'Cats...taking their foot off the pedal was the fatal flaw. Of course didn't help that one turnover in the third that led to the MC PP goal...Felt they were missing defensive assignments etc. I can't even begin to allow myself to count up the lost HE points someone else can tho! (I know, crying over spilt milk is no way to go through life but....)
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Wondered what was going on in his head when DU was standing up there with Marty....was he (Borek) in the running for HC?
                        According to his surrogates here at the time, he was the "presumptive" successor in his mind, as he had done all of the heavy lifting that Umile refused to do in his last decade. So even if he's moved on to a "better" place, and made peace, I'm sure it is more than sweet.

                        Quite the victory tour for Marty. Did he also attend the women's team elimination in the opening round of the tourney?

                        He's smart enough to see his mistakes. For Umile, I'm not sure he would do anything differently. Blood is thicker than reality, as we saw in the original choice, particularly when you have such little interest in anything involving the outside world beyond the UNH rink.

                        Borek came to UNH for one reason, he was told in 2002 that he'd be HC in 5 years. He'd have lived help in recruiting, and is extremely happy now that everyone is involved at PC. Frankly what happened here couldn't happen there because they're all involved with their recruits, he doesn't have introduce them to the HC in August of enrollment. He's still point at PC but not HC, closer and financial dealer. Borek thought he'd be HC when the lowly recruit JVR started here. He wasn't when TVR finished. As far as deferrals and not staying on his recruits I'll just say respectfully you have no idea what your talking about. I guess time will tell if PC slides too, but he had a good year this year recruiting so we'll see.
                        And yes I am stating that DU involvement diminished during Borek's time here! And I'll also state a fact that starting in 2010ish he was not only not involved in recruiting he was removed from other parts of the program. When in the conference room with a recruit, DU had no idea who the player was, or howmuch he was offered, and spent mere minutes with the recruit, fact. And during the transition a recruit received more than originally was agreed upon because DU had no idea what was on the table, fact.
                        Re: Eriksson, thanks for that correction. He has a two year team worst +/- that's hard to explain given his play, but seems to be a real indicator the bigger the sample size. Last year seems they really didn't score with him on the ice 5x5.
                        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 02-27-2022, 10:00 AM.
                        The Umile legacy:
                        14-15 8th place,
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by norbert View Post
                          2. I guess we have to celebrate Marty's 22 years but let's also look at where the 2 flagship programs, hockey and football, are today under his leadership. The only success is futbol… ugh
                          I don't recall Judy Ray or any of BS' other predecessors being awarded with going away parties?

                          The Men's Soccer hire fell into his lap, literally. The best decision we can actually credit him for is probably not ditching Coach Mac early in his tenure, before Football made its upward turn. The worst has been the "handling" of both sides of the Hockey program, possibly even worse on the Women's side than on the Men's side. Bill Herrion has also been less mediocre than his various predecessors with Men's Hoops. BS gets credit for building the stadium, end of (and that's dismissing the importance of Coach Mac's on-field success driving the fundraising, plus the librarian, etc.).

                          Thanks for (almost) nothing, Blue Skies. Don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out ...
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

                          Comment


                          • The United States drew from U.S. weapons stocks to supply Ukraine in the fall of 2021 and then again in December. Over the past year the United States has committed more than $1 billion in security assistance to Ukraine, Blinken said.

                            LOL even worse then, all that assistance, yet still caught unprepared with Magoo's shorts down around his ankles. Although I'm frankly surprised there was anything left in US weapons stocks after the charitable "donation" they made to the Taliban back in August '21.

                            Thank goodness the "adults" are back in charge ...
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

                            Comment


                            • Some great game comments. However, from my perspective his wasn’t for lack of effort on the teams part. And yes it has been a few times in the past. MC is actually a very skilled and fast skating team. As noted we did hold them off in the first until that horrible last minute goal. As a low scoring team we need early goals to help carry the momentum and build confidence. As listed at the start of the game, MC presented lines of a combined 34-51-78 and 24 points. While that was not how they rolled them, our 2 lines (43&47 points) start to breakdown and tire as the game wears on. But again from my front row perspective this team has lots of character and does typically quit. We have a 4th line that sees no ice, and a third line that works really hard but just doesn’t have the physical strength to carry play in a miss match situation.
                              would have liked a goal back but that’s baseball, ah hockey! And as the old adage goes “I do my best work under pressure!” Well of course you do, you have no choice as the clock winds down.

                              Comment


                              • We will have an interesting senior class next year. It will be interesting to see who gets the C & As.
                                i would submIt the following for your thoughts.
                                Most improved - Nikolai Jensen
                                Best Offensive Forward- Jackson Pierson
                                Best defensive forward - Tylor Ward
                                Unsung hero - ? Several great choices
                                Others
                                Interesting stat to emerge this year. Remember all the past discussions about the importance of winning faceoffs and shots on goal. If this were the only measures we would have a great record.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X