Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    This popped today. Note the reference to the “200x85 NHL-sized rink”.

    https://twitter.com/sacredheartuniv/...24777679020033

    Arms race, for sure.

    EDIT: Not trying to stir things up - just a timely tweet with a pretty good video of what is to come there.
    With all of the time dedicated (some would say wasted) on the subject of a "NH Beanpot" ... down in Connecticut, you could really make a legitimate D-1 run at a pretty compelling event. Yale could be your Ivy representative, UConn would be your obligatory state school, and you could round things out with Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart. I'm not sure if the Mohegan Sun Arena is fitted out for ice shows (seems to be mostly hoops and concerts) but gosh, one would think them sponsoring such an event would be an absolute no-brainer to elevate the profile of CT D-1 hockey (for the schools), all while drawing significant foot traffic for the gaming and ample restaurants on the tribal grounds. And if not for Hockey, then why not D-1 Hoops??
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

      With all of the time dedicated (some would say wasted) on the subject of a "NH Beanpot" ... down in Connecticut, you could really make a legitimate D-1 run at a pretty compelling event. Yale could be your Ivy representative, UConn would be your obligatory state school, and you could round things out with Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart. I'm not sure if the Mohegan Sun Arena is fitted out for ice shows (seems to be mostly hoops and concerts) but gosh, one would think them sponsoring such an event would be an absolute no-brainer to elevate the profile of CT D-1 hockey (for the schools), all while drawing significant foot traffic for the gaming and ample restaurants on the tribal grounds. And if not for Hockey, then why not D-1 Hoops??
      Joint recruiting bonanza, for sure. Might even attract some transfers to Yale.
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

        With all of the time dedicated (some would say wasted) on the subject of a "NH Beanpot" ... down in Connecticut, you could really make a legitimate D-1 run at a pretty compelling event. Yale could be your Ivy representative, UConn would be your obligatory state school, and you could round things out with Quinnipiac and Sacred Heart. I'm not sure if the Mohegan Sun Arena is fitted out for ice shows (seems to be mostly hoops and concerts) but gosh, one would think them sponsoring such an event would be an absolute no-brainer to elevate the profile of CT D-1 hockey (for the schools), all while drawing significant foot traffic for the gaming and ample restaurants on the tribal grounds. And if not for Hockey, then why not D-1 Hoops??
        They play it in Bridgeport
        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Felger View Post
          They play it in Bridgeport
          And so they do. Turns out this weekend is the second annual event. And SHU are defending champs!

          SNY Connecticut Ice | Webster Bank Arena

          Nothing going on in the surrounding "neighborhood", if that's what you call I-95, Long Island Sound and parking lots. The various on-site concessions are basically working with a captive audience.

          Good for them ... I still liked my idea better, but unfortunately, from the best I can tell, the Mohegan Sun Arena (the one in Uncasville CT) does not have capacity for ice events. Believe it or not, there is another "Mohegan Sun Arena" but that's in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton PA, which would not be conducive to this event. C'est la vie. Hardly my first crash & burn idea on here, is it?

          --------------------

          Turning back to my "NH Beanpot" concept, how about we do this instead ... pick a weekend (something around the holidays?) and have Night One (Friday) feature four NH D-3 programs - say, SNHU, New England College, St. Anselm's and Plymouth State. They have two games, basically semifinals to see who will advance to a D-3 Finals on Saturday night. That can be the warmup game for the D-1 Finals later that evening between UNH and Dartmouth, which would basically be the old Riverstone thing, with the addition of other NH schools getting to play for something that (over time) could mean something. Having four schools' fanbases in the building on Friday night would be a novelty to begin with, and having two D-3 fanbases returning the next evening to supplement the larger D-1 fan bases from either side of the state ... thoughts?

          I can't pretend to know the dynamics of the various D-3 participants, whether they are familiar opponents being in the same league, different leagues, independents, etc. Franklin Pierce and Rivier (I believe?) also have D-3 programs, so if interest is not there with some of the D-3's I mentioned, the others can be alternative options. And we avoid D-1 v. D-3 lopsided games.

          Any converts out there yet? :-)
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

          Comment


          • Getting closer Chuck. Been to a couple of these schools games but have to say the crowds are far from overwhelming. Coupling it with the annual Dartmouth Game would really make it a NH event. Get on it!

            Comment


            • With Maine beating BC and if we win the game we have in hand our 'cats are currently in the playoffs!

              What? All teams qualify for the playoffs?

              Well then, post season home game!!
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Darius View Post
                With Maine beating BC and if we win the game we have in hand our 'cats are currently in the playoffs!

                What? All teams qualify for the playoffs?

                Well then, post season home game!!
                Would love to be at home....single elimination anything can happen! Think its been since 2016 of I have that right. Stay safe down there!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

                Comment


                • Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                  Getting closer Chuck. Been to a couple of these schools games but have to say the crowds are far from overwhelming. Coupling it with the annual Dartmouth Game would really make it a NH event. Get on it!
                  Maybe our incoming AD will be on the prowl for signature events like this to establish a legacy?

                  There's been no shortage of "Bob the Builder" types at the U over the last generation (there's an understatement) so it might be nice to see some of these wannabe general contractors take early retirement, or at least they or their successors can spend the next 10-20 years reaching out to re-establish ties to the general community? Y'know, step outside the bubble, remind themselves how the other 90+% live, and maybe knock down some of the elitist stereotypes that they and their colleagues at other campuses have allowed to take root since the turn of the century (but especially over the last 5+ years)? You never know, taking such a partnering approach (contrary to the status quo) could change Concord's perception of the U? Make it happen, Dean Dean! :-)
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

                  Comment


                  • ICYMI….

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmUtggK62Uw
                    Signature line intentionally left blank.

                    Comment


                    • Good for him.
                      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

                      Comment


                      • Eeek! UNH hockey on page 3? That's what a weekend off does lol. Anyway, big points on the line this weekend. MC playing well and looking forward to playing UConn again in our house.

                        CHC reports that Mike Robinson is having a fantastic stretch "Since New Years Eve: 5 Wins incl/sweep of BC; 37 Saves in OT loss to UConn; Goals Against Average=1.66; Save Percentage=.944 and that will need to stand up esp at MC as everything goes to the net. Of course we'll need the scoring that we saw in the 5 game win streak; can't win without that. Have been pondering what sweeping both of these teams could do for our PWR; recognizing that the chances of getting in the top 16 is probably doubtful? HE points are more important right now...

                        'Home ice' in the first round would be a start...lots of hockey left to play. Go 'Cats!!

                        Ps Congrats to Colton Huard as he earns HE's 'Defender of the Month'. Well deserved!!!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Eeek! UNH hockey on page 3? That's what a weekend off does lol. Anyway, big points on the line this weekend. MC playing well and looking forward to playing UConn again in our house.

                          CHC reports that Mike Robinson is having a fantastic stretch "Since New Years Eve: 5 Wins incl/sweep of BC; 37 Saves in OT loss to UConn; Goals Against Average=1.66; Save Percentage=.944 and that will need to stand up esp at MC as everything goes to the net. Of course we'll need the scoring that we saw in the 5 game win streak; can't win without that. Have been pondering what sweeping both of these teams could do for our PWR; recognizing that the chances of getting in the top 16 is probably doubtful? HE points are more important right now...

                          'Home ice' in the first round would be a start...lots of hockey left to play. Go 'Cats!!

                          Ps Congrats to Colton Huard as he earns HE's 'Defender of the Month'. Well deserved!!!
                          Given BC's free fall NOT having home ice would be a major disappointment...especially in light of Chuck's point about UNH's layup drill down the stretch.
                          UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

                          Comment


                          • Hoping Robinson can maintain his current form, with the support of the improved overall team defensive play ... having that "hot goalie" thing going for you can take a team to some amazing and unexpected places. Certainly, UNH has had a lot of practice playing in close low-scoring games this season (and winning many), and with their scoring seemingly perking up of late, it would be nice to see them continue their recent run for the remainder of the RS, and then (hopefully well) beyond ...

                            Anyone looking for other "happy" BC memories, check out my recent posts on the UMaine thread. :-)
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

                            Comment


                            • MS7 and Scotty B hoisting plaudits at each other ... but where is the love for Luce???

                              NH College Hockey: Huge weekend for UNH, including Friday's game at red-hot Merrimack | College Sports | unionleader.com
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

                              Comment


                              • So guess the game is on tonight! HR's prediction: Someone is going to win. Someone is going to lose. How can I be wrong? Actually it's going to be close down there. I'm predicting a 3-2 MC win. I say that given the layoff and how well MC is playing to date. Sure we are playing well too...could go either way! Go 'Cats!
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 02-04-2022, 05:13 PM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X