Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
    Final 11 games…..

    UConn away
    UConn away
    Mack away
    UConn home
    Vermont away
    #12 Lowell home
    Maine away
    Maine away
    Mack home
    #12 Lowell home
    #12 Lowell away

    A team from the early 2000’s would be looking at that back half of the schedule licking their chops. For the 21/22 version, it should be a nice test of what this developing team is. A good run likely gets us somewhere near the top 20 in PWR. A wobbly finish likely lands us at around 40. (Since hardware is not likely how this team will be measured, I’ll go with PWR as a proxy for advancement).

    I’ll lay my predictions out here for craps and giggles…

    Split with UConn away
    Beat Mack away
    Beat UConn at home
    Beat Vermont away
    Lose to Lowell at home
    Win and a tie at Alfond
    Beat Mack at home
    Split the final Lowell series

    7-3-1 to finish the season at 18-13-2. That’s certainly glass-half-full thinking, but I’m having what Mr. Sheen is having!!
    I like your thinking on this, 'dc. Here's the problem ... which UNH team will show up to play those final 11 RS games? If it's the team that's played the last two-plus weekends, your predictions are quite realistic, and could even be conservative. But getting something out of 4 of the next 5 games seems crucial, then getting something out of 4 of the final 6 games, ditto.

    But if it returns to the same form as the team that went down a mediocre path in late 2021, then it could be just .500 down the stretch, and whatever momentum may have been built over these last few games can easily go pffffttttt.

    I want to be an optimist. Huard and Devlin, plus Robinson, all seem to have lifted the team in recent weeks.

    If UNH does better than a split this coming weekend, that would be a great signal.

    The UML and UConn games shape up as the most challenging of the batch. The remaining 5 games could be classified as the "cupcakes", but you just know UNH will trip up in at least one of those games, possibly more.

    I'll plunk down on a 6-4-1 finish, including losses to UML, UConn and UMaine, which gets UNH to .500 in the league, 3 games over .500 overall, and out of the NCAA's. With a strong HEA tourney showing in a very weird HEA season, it could make for a very interesting March. Which would make for a nice change ... :-)
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
      Final 11 games…..

      UConn away
      UConn away
      Mack away
      UConn home
      Vermont away
      #12 Lowell home
      Maine away
      Maine away
      Mack home
      #12 Lowell home
      #12 Lowell away

      A team from the early 2000’s would be looking at that back half of the schedule licking their chops. For the 21/22 version, it should be a nice test of what this developing team is. A good run likely gets us somewhere near the top 20 in PWR. A wobbly finish likely lands us at around 40. (Since hardware is not likely how this team will be measured, I’ll go with PWR as a proxy for advancement).

      I’ll lay my predictions out here for craps and giggles…

      Split with UConn away
      Beat Mack away
      Beat UConn at home
      Beat Vermont away
      Lose to Lowell at home
      Win and a tie at Alfond
      Beat Mack at home
      Split the final Lowell series

      7-3-1 to finish the season at 18-13-2. That’s certainly glass-half-full thinking, but I’m having what Mr. Sheen is having!!
      LOVE your optimism dc and hope it all pans out. I'd be thrilled to do some damage in the HE tourney and be at the TD! Am going I think to the UConn game on Saturday and am def going to be at UVM. Doubt am doing the Maine games (I say this now...) but will see the other 'local' games like UML and MC. So wish I had the nhl network so that I could watch the USA hockey BioSteel All American Game today as 2 of our commits are featured goalie Tyler Muszelick and Dman Damian Carfagna. Let's go future 'Cats!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

      Comment


      • On it and thanks Ref! Never would have seen that. I can watch B10, PAC 12, SEC,etc but recently lost NESN, go figure!

        Comment


        • Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
          On it and thanks Ref! Never would have seen that. I can watch B10, PAC 12, SEC,etc but recently lost NESN, go figure!
          I can't seem to get the game even on fubo (which I forgot I had...79 bucks just cancelled). Keeping up with it via Twitter. Am very excited about both Tyler Muszelick and Damien Carfagna coming in next season! Thinking we are going to be in very good hands (and pads) in that dept in the coming seasons!!
          Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-17-2022, 06:01 PM.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

          Comment


          • ....UNH Commit Damien Carfagna wins it for team blue in a dramatic comeback in the BioSteel All American game! Another great Dman commit to look forward to! Not surprisingly, Colton Huard gets Dman of the week for Hockey East after another great weekend of play. Looking up...!! Note: In coming goalie Tyler Muszelick gets a nice mention at the end of the article for stopping all shots he faced...
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-17-2022, 06:09 PM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

            Comment


            • Just an incredible shot short side. It was one of those that our guy makes a final pass rather than taking the shot. Not today - Welcome DAMIEN!

              Comment


              • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                LOVE your optimism dc and hope it all pans out. I'd be thrilled to do some damage in the HE tourney and be at the TD! Am going I think to the UConn game on Saturday and am def going to be at UVM. Doubt am doing the Maine games (I say this now...) but will see the other 'local' games like UML and MC. So wish I had the nhl network so that I could watch the USA hockey BioSteel All American Game today as 2 of our commits are featured goalie Tyler Muszelick and Dman Damian Carfagna. Let's go future 'Cats!
                Not to mention, the annual "Coast (ECHL) All-Star game is on the NHL Network live right now, live from Jacksonville (your old haunts). Might even be some former UNH players in the mix ...

                ... they are apparently playing 24 minutes running time first two periods, and 20 minutes 3X3 in the 3rd period. Makes you think, first team to 10 goals wins?!?!?!? :-)
                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                Montreal Expos Forever ...

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

                  Not to mention, the annual "Coast (ECHL) All-Star game is on the NHL Network live right now, live from Jacksonville (your old haunts). Might even be some former UNH players in the mix ...

                  ... they are apparently playing 24 minutes running time first two periods, and 20 minutes 3X3 in the 3rd period. Makes you think, first team to 10 goals wins?!?!?!? :-)
                  Funny you mention this was just telling my husband that they are playing this game there tonight. I know that Joseph Masonius (UConn and was going to be a UNH player until who knows what happened last minute) is in the game. Here's the roster Ara Nazarian plays for the AHL Rochester Americans as of late. I was going to try to get down there to see a game but not sure at this point. New Orleans will have to suffice haha.

                  Ugh I HATE it that I can't get the NHL network....harrumph indeed! (edit...flo hockey has it so am watching the skills contest)
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-17-2022, 07:37 PM.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Funny you mention this was just telling my husband that they are playing this game there tonight. I know that Joseph Masonius (UConn and was going to be a UNH player until who knows what happened last minute) is in the game. Here's the roster Ara Nazarian plays for the Jax Icemen I believe. I was going to try to get down there to see a game but not sure at this point. New Orleans will have to suffice haha.

                    Ugh I HATE it that I can't get the NHL network....harrumph indeed!
                    Actually the 'Coast All-Stars are playing against your Jacksonville Icemen, so Ara may be out there ...
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

                    Comment


                    • Almost 8,000 in attendance, as the 'Coast All-Stars beat the Icemen 14-7 in a defensive struggle. ;-)

                      I saw the camera focused on Masonius as the players left the ice, maybe one of the 3 stars??

                      ( ... as you can probably tell, I wasn't paying close attention ... )
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

                      Comment


                      • Off-topic UNH-wise but a little hockey content I'd forgotten about ... I was watching The Friends of Eddie Coyle on TCM last night (please don't be too shocked, OK?), which is kind of a hoodlum movie from the early '70's that was largely filmed on location around Greater Boston. My uncle and his best pal were both extras on the movie, so once in awhile when I catch it on the telly, I watch if I have the time to do so. Anyway ... towards the end, Coyle (played by an older Robert Mitchum) is nearing the end of his time in gangland, but he and a couple of his Friends take some time off to go catch a B's game at the old Garden. Vintage B's vs. Black Hawks, footage of a couple of fights, and of course Coyle's veneration of "Number 4 Bobby Orr" as the greatest hockey player in the world at age 24. Really brought me back to the vibe of the old place, you could almost smell the stale beer and cigar smoke from the rafters.

                        Also, Coyle is constantly referring to a court date he has up in "New Hampsha" for some charges that could land him back in the clink, which kind of drives the plot a bit (no spoilers here).

                        So if a two-bit gangster film with a local bent and some hockey content registers, check it out someday.

                        ... shameless excuse to get the thread back up to the top before the UConn series ...
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

                        Comment


                        • Much more on-topic is today's UL article on breakout UNH defenseman standout Colton Huard:

                          NH College Hockey: UNH freshman Colton Huard bursting onto the scene | College Sports | unionleader.com

                          Until reading the article, I didn't realize Huard's dad was Bill Huard, an NHL journeyman enforcer who squared off with a Who's Who of elite NHL fighters in the '90's. Not many fighters have been able to put a guy like Joey Kocur on his back ...
                           
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Much more on-topic is today's UL article on breakout UNH defenseman standout Colton Huard:

                            NH College Hockey: UNH freshman Colton Huard bursting onto the scene | College Sports | unionleader.com

                            Until reading the article, I didn't realize Huard's dad was Bill Huard, an NHL journeyman enforcer who squared off with a Who's Who of elite NHL fighters in the '90's. Not many fighters have been able to put a guy like Joey Kocur on his back ...
                            Very cool article about Colton "Huey" Huards dad! I knew we would be in good shape with him having followed him via CHC last year. I think this is a great dman we have here...who does he remind you veteran fans of so far in his brief tenure? (former UNHers). I'm heading to UConn on Saturday and hope I can witness at W at the XL Center which has been so elusive. I think both teams are evenly matched (just casually looking at games/records) but we always have struggled with them. I think with the renewed scoring that's going on and if Mikey is on his game we can do well, but one game at a time. BIG series this weekend for HE teams battling for that fourth place w/ BC (whoa they've lost 4 straight?? When has that ever happened?) v PC (those will be hot games). Lets see what we can do. Here's HR's predictions:

                            Friday: UNH 2 UConn 1
                            Saturday: UConn 3 UNH 2 (OT)

                            Stay warm everyone...Goooo 'Cats!!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

                            Comment


                            • From his penthouse high atop the Encore Boston gaming complex in beautiful South Everett MA ... the smoldering pile of ashes that was/is Michel "Mikey" Nostradamus has shared his quatrain-infused predictions for this weekend's UNH's games with the folks from the Effingwoods Hockey Almanac, who have kindly translated into English, and recorded the scores:

                              Mighty Wildcats transported within a cage of iron

                              To where the Whale and insurers of yore once roamed

                              A balding Luce Canaan
                              will sink lower than Bridgeport

                              Ere to die witnessing the fruits of defeat and mourning

                              Friday: UNH 5 UConn 2
                              Saturday: UNH 1566 UConn 0

                              He also believes tales of York's demise are greatly exaggerated, picking an unbeaten weekend for BC.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

                              Comment


                              • You 2 are very bold to put your predictions out for all to see. I know that UConn has our number, in part because they know we struggle when you clog the neutral zone and take our transition game away. That tactic has always kicked us in the pants.
                                Can’t seem to get a clear view with my prediction machine. I can however see a 4-2, 3-2 split. I know, a little loose with that!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X