Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2021/2022 - Return of the Champions of October?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    UVM *wins in the shootout. Fessenden starts both games this weekend. Improved special teams play by UNH, but they couldn't eke out a deserved 3rd period winner despite dominating the final 25 minutes of open play. Have to admit, UNH looked to be the far better coached team out there tonight, and deserved better, but if you can't score, you can't win.

Now the Connecticut River Valley Border War culminates on the soccer pitch tomorrow afternoon ...
    Fessenden dropped from 20th to 35th in SV%, but his team tied for 55th in SV%. Makes you go “hmmmm”?

Meanwhile, UNH 51st in goals scored (19), 38th in goals against (34), 20th in SOG (e.cat!) with 336, 9th in FOW% (my fav) at 53.5, and 4th in average weight at 191.4 pounds (compare with tied at 30th in average height at 6’1”).

Comment

• Back to platooning goalies this weekend? No reflection on either of them I believe it has alot to do with who plays in front of them...just a question.

I'll be honest was surprised to see Fessenden with both starts....Let's go Soccer 'Cats!!!
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Until DF plays a couple of really bad back-to-back games, or gets hurt, MR should not see any more time in net this season. MR is 73rd in SV% (0.860; fourth worst in Div 1), and 57th in GAA (3.24 gpg). That is what I meant by my “hmmmm” in previous post. Moreover, MR had two of “our” top four blue liners for all of his games that DF has not had of late, otherwise same skaters in front of both of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Fessenden dropped from 20th to 35th in SV%, but his team tied for 55th in SV%. Makes you go “hmmmm”?

Meanwhile, UNH 51st in goals scored (19), 38th in goals against (34), 20th in SOG (e.cat!) with 336, 9th in FOW% (my fav) at 53.5, and 4th in average weight at 191.4 pounds (compare with tied at 30th in average height at 6’1”).
          Any time UNH wins the weekend against the dirty hippies from UVT it's a good weekend! SOG notwithstanding
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Let's face it, neither Fessenden nor Robinson are exceptional D-1 goalies. Any discussion has to start from that baseline. We've previously had some animated discussions over the relative merits of Tirone and Robinson, and I don't want to relive that. And while events that have played out since probably confirm that Tirone outperformed his successor at the D-1 level, DT really never cut it as a pro. Sadly, it looks like it'll probably be the same for Robinson, as San Jose puts such low value in his draft rights that they're OK with him playing a 5th NCAA D-1 season at UNH, while virtually turning over their entire goalie depth chart at both the NHL and AHL levels over the last two seasons. If Robinson were still viewed as a legit pro prospect, his (gaping) opportunity in an organization hardly awash in elite level goalie talent has seemingly come and gone.

We've seen Robinson at his best a few seasons ago - first year as a starter, and his sophomore season eligibility-wise - and if that Robinson still exists in there somewhere (.915 save %) he still has value to the program. Problem is, and I'm sure MS7 knows this if even I know this, is Robinson's performance has since drifted slowly downhill. He hasn't been at 90% since, and this year so far he's closer to 85% than he is to 90%. Not good. You can't help but think that *maybe* Robinson has lost the dream of making The Show, so he's struggling to find the same fire, the same focus that helped him three seasons ago, or even two seasons ago? I'm not aware of any injury issues that might be impacting him, if I'm trying to be fair here?

I've seen this scenario play out, with younger kids at lower levels, many times. Not everyone is hard-wired for competition, especially when motivating factors change. Some kids will compete all out all the time, regardless of whether the game is an official organized competitive game OR a pick-up game with pals. We're all wired differently. Truth be told, I was one of those kids who always played max effort, likely to make up for less-than-elite skills, and 40 years later, I still don't have a problem getting up for meaningless old farts' games. More talented younger pals/teammates on the other hand hung it up long ago. And trust me, I understand the latter scenario is the far more "sane" approach, whilst mine is the aberration.

I'm not sure that's what's in play with Robinson or not, but for sure we've seen his performance dip steadily but consistently, and maybe some of it has to do with the issues in the world over the last almost two years now? MS7 and his staff see both him and Fessenden (and Forman) every day at practice, and to me it says a lot that MS7 decided to go with Fessenden in both games this weekend. Maybe he's trying to light a fire under Robinson? Maybe there is an injury tweak? Or maybe, with MS7 starting to realize he's not in his "honeymoon" period any longer, he's just decided that Fessenden gives his team a better chance at results right now? Fessenden posted a 91% last year on a bad UAH team, and he's (barely) over 90% right now, and has at least one (if not two) more season(s) of eligibility left after this season. We used to talk on here about how Tirone's inconsistency opened up opportunities for Robinson, which more often than not the younger goalie wasn't able to take advantage of. Now that Fessenden is the younger guy, and his opportunity is knocking, he is responding OK (so far). But he hasn't shut the door on Robinson's return either.

MS7 can't wait forever for Robinson to find his way out of his long-standing funk, and Robinson is gone 4 months from now. A generation ago, a pretty good UNH Frozen Four D-1 goalie named Sean Matile was faced with a challenge from a newbie transfer from the hockey hinterlands named Ty Conklin. With the proviso that both Matile and Conklin were far better than their present-day comps, we know that Conklin eventually got the post-season nod, but Matile improved later in the season and gave the program the needed depth to make their long run to Anaheim. UNH won't be going anywhere this season beyond Boston (if they're extremely lucky), but at the very least, Robinson can fill the "Matile" role nicely at UNH as he finishes his career.

JMHO.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post

Any time UNH wins the weekend against the dirty hippies from UVT it's a good weekend! SOG notwithstanding
              Attended my first UNH soccer game and visited the UNH football stadium for the first time in over 50 years yesterday afternoon, and got to see in person the $1.2 mil scoreboard (I was always against it :-) ).

As for the soccer game, I was reminded why the embellishment minor is the most important penalty in ice hockey. I was sickened by watching the nearly continuous diving, flopping, shin-grabbing, rolling on the ground as if shot, antics by nearly all players on both sides, which is apparently approved by the fans and referees alike. Five total SOG in the game (I repeat, just 5 SOG, e.cat!). Overall, I thought UVM outplayed UNH and deserved their 1-0 win. But, I could see how UNH still could have easily tied the game with a fluke goal.

Yes, I am happy that Mark Hubbard has developed a successful soccer program at UNH, but thankful that I will not be attending another soccer game. Ugh!

Comment

Attended my first UNH soccer game and visited the UNH football stadium for the first time in over 50 years yesterday afternoon, and got to see in person the $1.2 mil scoreboard (I was always against it :-) ).

As for the soccer game, I was reminded why the embellishment minor is the most important penalty in ice hockey. I was sickened by watching the nearly continuous diving, flopping, shin-grabbing, rolling on the ground as if shot, antics by nearly all players on both sides, which is apparently approved by the fans and referees alike. Five total SOG in the game (I repeat, just 5 SOG, e.cat!). Overall, I thought UVM outplayed UNH and deserved their 1-0 win. But, I could see how UNH still could have easily tied the game with a fluke goal.

Yes, I am happy that Mark Hubbard has developed a successful soccer program at UNH, but thankful that I will not be attending another soccer game. Ugh!
                Good for you getting out and making the trek to DHam.

Yes, I read about all of that of course the UNH fans who I read twitter posts about the game etc said it was all UVM doing the flopping diving etc you describe. Sorry the 'Cats were denied on their home field but just read the seascoast online article about it (no hockey articles at all this weekend from them?) and they pretty much owned the loss and look forward to their at large bid. Better to lose now I suppose. Good luck to them...

Chuck to your post about the goalies, I'm not interested in doing another Tirone v Robinson thing; just a convo starter. MS has to be thinking of the future of his program so I'm glad he's playing Fesseden but was thinking outloud about things going forward. I think it depends how they do at practice and maybe even who the team might feel more comfortable with (if they get any feedback). Love that you (Snively) back things up with stats. I am betting tho he def gives Robinson a start this weekend. Can't imagine he'd leave him out unless he really thought it would make a big difference considering the opponent. Just some logic here. But I was wrong about the UVM weekend so, hey, I'm prob going to be wrong here haha.

I agree Snively; we are missing those two defenders and I think it makes a big difference. Personally I doubt we'll see either of them until after Christmas...we'll see.

Teez, who did you like this weekend? I started watching Connor Sweeny's game a bit and, still think Devlin is a great addition. Pierson has been coming into his own I think. Perhaps things are gelling a bit on offense (still disappointed, tho, that we couldn't put them away in the third despite some close ones)

On another note, we haven't won on the road...I know it's a pretty steep hill this Friday but hey, hope springs eternal! Go 'Cats!

Welp have a great week 'Cat fans!
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-15-2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Pretty fair take on things, Snives. I was there as well, had I known you were planning to go, we could have cashed in some of your outstanding rewards for successful quiz answers. :-)

Since we've turned this thread temporarily into USCHO Dos for the rest of the NCAA Soccer season, I'm hoping to share my observations on the overall UNH Men's Soccer experience. Might take a few posts during a busy work week, but you gotta start somewhere, so here goes ...

Overall Matchday Experience - Surprisingly Decent!!

There were almost 3,500 folks in attendance, and the top admission price ($10 general admission) was a fair one. Seating was wherever you could find it, except the best lower tier seats at midfield were cordoned off, presumably for preferred seating of some sort. A decent-sized and hardy UVM traveling contingent took up the old main bleachers across the pitch. My selection was to take up seating in the upper tier of the main stand, and moved at halftime so for each half, I was near the end that UNH was defending. Great view of the entire pitch, including the wide areas on our nearest touchline. It was breezy (not too bad) so it got colder upstairs as the game wore on. I know the place was built for football, but it does OK for soccer. Crowd could have been more lively, but the home team didn't give us much to get into. Coach Hubbard pretty much said after the match that his team really didn't show up, and it was clear from opening kickoff that UVM was primed for battle. The late-arriving fans were still working their way through the admissions gate past midway into the first half. UNH had enough folks in the ticket windows, and I believe all of the concessions windows were open as well.

The much-discussed scoreboard was used for live game video, which was stupid. Better they put up a much more static outline of the two teams' line-ups, which changed constantly due to open substitution. Just a personal whine.

To be fair to Blue Skies, they've done a nice job with the facility, and it's nice to think further expansions can be done in the future if needed. At some point, unless UNH becomes an Oregon-style powerhouse in track & field, it will probably make a lot of sense to relocate the oval somewhere else in the vicinity. But if the question is, will I come back, the answer is "yes".

Next up is the pre-game festivities, and I'll stop here 'cuz that's where things took a bad turn ..
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Disappointing result for the men's soccer team - but great to see they will still get a chance to HOST an NCAA Tournament 2nd-Round game against either Loyola-Maryland or North Carolina. Big opportunity.

Agree w/ snively on NCAA men's soccer - it can be very enjoyable in a lot of ways, but especially on the men's side they've really learned from what they see on TV and seem to try to out 'jerk' each other. Honestly, at the college level I prefer the women's game, they just play soccer...

--

UNH vs. UVM tells me little. If there has been/will be any improvement for UNH (or if Fessenden is a better option than Robinson) it will be showcased in the next three games. UMass and Harvard are built to expose teams like UNH. UVM is awful. We'll see...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Disappointing result for the men's soccer team - but great to see they will still get a chance to HOST an NCAA Tournament 2nd-Round game against either Loyola-Maryland or North Carolina. Big opportunity.

Agree w/ snively on NCAA men's soccer - it can be very enjoyable in a lot of ways, but especially on the men's side they've really learned from what they see on TV and seem to try to out 'jerk' each other. Honestly, at the college level I prefer the women's game, they just play soccer...

--

UNH vs. UVM tells me little. If there has been/will be any improvement for UNH (or if Fessenden is a better option than Robinson) it will be showcased in the next three games. UMass and Harvard are built to expose teams like UNH. UVM is awful. We'll see...
                      Dan that loss really knocked them down from 6 to 16...I dont know how seeding works but that loss was a big hit? Where do you see them ending up; can they advance from here? Cool they are hosting an NCAA tourney event at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Dan that loss really knocked them down from 6 to 16...I dont know how seeding works but that loss was a big hit? Where do you see them ending up; can they advance from here? Cool they are hosting an NCAA tourney event at home.
                        That drop isn’t surprising. I think the pollsters and seeding crew were eyeing us carefully for any slip-up, given the lack of comparables in competition this year. Though not quite as bad, it’s much like U of Cincinnati football - if they drop one to UAB this weekend, they won’t be seen again until the Poulan WeedEater bowl (is that still a thing??) in mid-December. Fortunately, we have a reasonably-sized tournament field to prove ourselves, as opposed to the 4 slots in the FBS.

Regarding the match itself, there’s a lot to be said for how well Rob Dow knows Coach Hubbard’s philosophy. I’m hoping that he hasn’t created a template for our NCAA foes. In the 10+ matches I’ve watched this year (didn’t see the first UVM one), it’s clear that we are a highly talented, speed and finesse oriented team that essentially dominated proceedings, rarely had 50/50 situations we had to win physically, and played the majority of our matches in our offensive third.

UVM absolutely flipped that script. They were very physical, set a tone early, and had us in our defensive third for much of the early part of the match. These were somewhat uncharted waters for us, and had us on our back foot for much of the day. There was plenty of diving to go around, but for sure, UVM came out looking to get rough. For some reason, Rory seemed to draw particular attention!

Hope we get a little deeper than last year.
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Im not sure that a #6 ranking necessarily translated to a #6 seed even in the event UNH had won yesterday. Rankings are always a bit more generous to smaller market teams than tournament seeding and I'd have guessed they'd have been a double digit seed regardless. I did have concern that a loss might have knocked them out of the seeds altogether. Going on the road to beat a Michigan team that had good results against a few other tourney teams probably saved them...

UNH should be the favorite, especially at home with what Id expect will be a large crowd. Both potential opponents look solid, but Hubbard has to be excited about the chance to coach and motivate the team following a loss. He should have their full attention. If they do win, they'll face top-seeded Oregon State...
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post

That drop isn’t surprising. I think the pollsters and seeding crew were eyeing us carefully for any slip-up, given the lack of comparables in competition this year. Though not quite as bad, it’s much like U of Cincinnati football - if they drop one to UAB this weekend, they won’t be seen again until the Poulan WeedEater bowl (is that still a thing??) in mid-December. Fortunately, we have a reasonably-sized tournament field to prove ourselves, as opposed to the 4 slots in the FBS.

Regarding the match itself, there’s a lot to be said for how well Rob Dow knows Coach Hubbard’s philosophy. I’m hoping that he hasn’t created a template for our NCAA foes. In the 10+ matches I’ve watched this year (didn’t see the first UVM one), it’s clear that we are a highly talented, speed and finesse oriented team that essentially dominated proceedings, rarely had 50/50 situations we had to win physically, and played the majority of our matches in our offensive third.

UVM absolutely flipped that script. They were very physical, set a tone early, and had us in our defensive third for much of the early part of the match. These were somewhat uncharted waters for us, and had us on our back foot for much of the day. There was plenty of diving to go around, but for sure, UVM came out looking to get rough. For some reason, Rory seemed to draw particular attention!

Hope we get a little deeper than last year.
                            Thanks for the clarification (and Dan as well) and the info/ summation of the game. That's pretty much the way it seemed (your view of the game) that was going around. I heard while watching their game against UMBC that they can expect a big turnover next season. If that's true I hope they do go deep...but, seeing how well they are coached, maybe next year won't be so much of a rebuild...I dunno; do not know the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Im not sure that a #6 ranking necessarily translated to a #6 seed even in the event UNH had won yesterday. Rankings are always a bit more generous to smaller market teams than tournament seeding and I'd have guessed they'd have been a double digit seed regardless. I did have concern that a loss might have knocked them out of the seeds altogether. Going on the road to beat a Michigan team that had good results against a few other tourney teams probably saved them...

UNH should be the favorite, especially at home with what Id expect will be a large crowd. Both potential opponents look solid, but Hubbard has to be excited about the chance to coach and motivate the team following a loss. He should have their full attention. If they do win, they'll face top-seeded Oregon State...
                              Well said. I’d been following Michigan since our win hoping we’d get cred from them. The Indiana win was obviously nice, but I hadn’t realized until I looked at the brackets again that Oakland also snuck in.

While not exactly a transitive property of equality thing, one should be careful about how far one takes those comparisons. Believe it or not, you can make a TPoE story about how UNH football is better than Alabama this year. :-)

That stated, the Oakland and Indiana results are absolutely meaningful in this case. Interesting that the Hoosiers are the 15 seed.
                              Last edited by wildcatdc; 11-15-2021, 08:00 PM.
                              Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Hey Dan if it makes you feel any better Michigan FH was knocked out by Harvard...in a shootout no less! And as the article states, all top 4 seeds were eliminated in the qtrs.
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-15-2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X